PDA

View Full Version : 281 Weather / Road Conditions

Ville-D
01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
I am supposed to be driving from Stephenville to San Antonio in the morning (Friday 1-24) and was wondering if any of the people in the Hill Country could reply here and give my an update on road conditions (tonight and in the AM).

Weather forecast looks bad in that area between here and there, but the weather guessers are not always correct.

Thanks!

Cam
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm worried too Ville-D....my wife has been in Sherman all week and is scheduled to drive back to Burnet in the morning....She tries to avoid Hwy 35 a.k.a. "The Straight-Away NASCAR Track!".....She'll come home on 281......Tonight and Friday is when we're supposed to get pretty bad weather down here......I'm suggesting she wait until Saturday but she can't stand being without me!..:D....actually, it's the other way around!....dang!...if she waits till Saturday that means another day of tuna fish sammiches!!.....
I'll keep an eye on the weather for sure....and you're right, them weathermen are some lyin' sunsbitches!......

Tejastrue
01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I'll try and keep you posted. We are a little over 20 miles east from 281 and Blanco so the weather should not be too different. As busy as 281 has become I suspect it will remain clear of any accumulation.

Ville-D
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Any updates down there?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Tejastrue
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
It is about 28* here with light rain /sleet in the area and icy conditions on bridges and overpasses. I can tell you that Austin is a traffic mess on the major roads. (Black ice.) It always is when this happens. There are some reports that the freezing rain is reaching San Antonio. They are posting that the school openings from Burnet to here in Wimberley will be delayed in the morning. The precipitation is suppose to end in a few hours but with that said they are saying that the temps will not hit above the freezing mark till close to noon tomorrow. Depending on when you are leaving, personally, I don't believe you'll have a problem coming 281. Would not suggest driving before the sun rises though. Driving in these conditions have never bothered me but there is always the uncertainty of how the other guy is going to handle the situation.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Any updates down there?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D
I'm in SA right now have a quarterly meeting in the morning. Hotel off 281 near Bitters and my car has ice on it right now. Windy and freezing rain. Some flurries possible around 9 am.

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't know what 281 looks like but Burnet CISD has canceled classes, along with a lot of other schools in the area. All that aren't canceled have at least a 2-hour delay. My work has 2-hour delay as well, for the first time since I've worked there in close to 5-years.

The best advice I can give you is allow plenty of time, allow extra distance between cars, and most importantly, watch out for idiots because there will be some out there.

Ville-D
01-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Where's the Cam update?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Tejastrue
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
I thought you would probably be headed toward SA by now. Around here it is 27* with icy roads covered with a light snow dusting. Traffic is slow but moving. It is suppose to melt rather quickly within a couple of hrs. I think Cam has quite a long drive to get to his job so he make be stuck in traffic.

Cam
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Where's the Cam update?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Sorry Ville-D....I'm probably late....My wife was on 281 this morning....said it wasn't too terribly bad....some bad spots.....she just took it slower than usual......looks like things are starting to get a little better......where are you??...

Cam
01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't know what 281 looks like but Burnet CISD has canceled classes, along with a lot of other schools in the area. All that aren't canceled have at least a 2-hour delay. My work has 2-hour delay as well, for the first time since I've worked there in close to 5-years.

The best advice I can give you is allow plenty of time, allow extra distance between cars, and most importantly, watch out for idiots because there will be some out there.

Burnet first announced a two hour delay....but then decided to shut down for the day.....there's just too kids spread out all over the countryside...from Burnet to Bertram to Buchanan Dam......that's a lot of bus routes for sure....ain't worth the risk.....I've never seen a small town with as many school buses as Burnet has!!....

Ville-D
01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
The guy I was meeting with decided to reschedule since his kids started school late this morning. So I looks like I will be headed down that way the first week of feb.

Thanks to all for the updates.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Burnet first announced a two hour delay....but then decided to shut down for the day.....there's just too kids spread out all over the countryside...from Burnet to Bertram to Buchanan Dam......that's a lot of bus routes for sure....ain't worth the risk.....I've never seen a small town with as many school buses as Burnet has!!....

I know a lot did the same thing. My side of our office building was about 60% or more not there.