PDA

View Full Version : Houston Astros

Cam
01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
They were talkin' on Austin sports radio that Houston has the best darn minor league talent in all of baseball!!.....look out in the near future!....Rangers might not be the big dog in Texas anymore!.....

YTBulldogs
01-14-2014, 05:16 PM
They were talkin' on Austin sports radio that Houston has the best darn minor league talent in all of baseball!!.....look out in the near future!....Rangers might not be the big dog in Texas anymore!.....

Only difference. Texas will pay the talent, Houston will not. So, odd's they all stay long enough to all play together isn't likely.

Rabid Cougar
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Why is there a post about the Astros on here? They are lower priority than Quidditch AND Basketball.

Los Owls
01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Well,Astros will never be the Rangers..Astros will not pay and will trade you within 2 years if you don't win...

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Only difference. Texas will pay the talent, Houston will not. So, odd's they all stay long enough to all play together isn't likely.

Based on what? God the idiocy on this forum is almost unbearable.

The Astros traded vets for prospects because they had the worst minor league system in the majors and the vets weren't getting it done. They've now turned that minor league system into a top 3 system depending on which ranking you look at. It was an absolutely necessary process.

Yes crane killed the major league payroll, but it was smart. It's allowed Houston to build from within and given the Astros the opportunity to spend when the right opportunity comes along. The Astros have already doubled their payroll from part season.

They'll be back soon. The results will come and so will the fans. The worst of the Astros woes is behind them and they're in a good position going forward. It's been tough being a fan but im still here and I love what the front office has done. I'm sure all you real 'fans' will beback on board as soon as they start winning again and you'll all praise crane and co. for purging the team

YTBulldogs
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM

The Astros traded vets for prospects because they had the worst minor league system in the majors and the vets weren't getting it done. They've now turned that minor league system into a top 3 system depending on which ranking you look at. It was an absolutely necessary process.

Yes crane killed the major league payroll, but it was smart. It's allowed Houston to build from within and given the Astros the opportunity to spend when the right opportunity comes along. The Astros have already doubled their payroll from part season.

They'll be back soon. The results will come and so will the fans. The worst of the Astros woes is behind them and they're in a good position going forward. It's been tough being a fan but im still here and I love what the front office has done. I'm sure all you real 'fans' will beback on board as soon as they start winning again and you'll all praise crane and co. for purging the team

Bet I won't unless they become an NL team again.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Bet I won't unless they become an NL team again.

Solid reasoning

Scoop27
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
I sure miss those Astros NL rivals -Just isn't the same. Haven't been to a game since the World Series when I was at the newspaper. I really enjoyed going on the field during batting practice and standing behind the cage and taking pictures and talking to some players. I'll always treasure those times

MUSTANG69
01-15-2014, 01:15 PM

You are absolutely right. I noticed a big difference in the CC Hooks (Astro's AA affiliate) last year. There will be a big improvement in the Astros over the next couple of years.

caleb_mccaig
01-15-2014, 01:21 PM

They did what any low payroll team does. I would compare them to the Tampa Bay Rays, will have a one or two big contract guys but mostly depend on their minor league system with club control players to give them success and then trade the non essential pieces away before they hit free agency. The Rays have had great success doing this and I can see where the Astros will as well.

coach
01-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Houston is a good 3 years away from being an average team. Period.

Scoop27
01-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I agree coach. I hope I see another playoff team in my lifetime. The World Series team seems forever ago but I remember covering it for the newspaper

Saggy Aggie
01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
They did what any low payroll team does. I would compare them to the Tampa Bay Rays, will have a one or two big contract guys but mostly depend on their minor league system with club control players to give them success and then trade the non essential pieces away before they hit free agency. The Rays have had great success doing this and I can see where the Astros will as well.

Who says the Astros are a low payroll team????

You guys all seen to make this assumption based on the salary of the last 2 years when they got rid of the vets. They weren't paying the major league players because they sucked.

When these minor league guys develop, the Astros will once again be spenders and be willing to sign FA's... This has been cranes plan all along... I have no idea where you guys get the idea that the Astros will forever be unwilling to pay players.

Minor league guys will develop and FAs will supplement them. That's how championship teams are built.

Saggy Aggie
01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Houston is a good 3 years away from being an average team. Period.

Clueless rangers fan

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Clueless rangers fan

I think 3 years is about right and that is not a bad thing..Stros are doing it the right way, just going to take time

Saggy Aggie
01-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I think 3 years is about right and that is not a bad thing..Stros are doing it the right way, just going to take time

3 years to be average? Agree to disagree

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 11:03 PM
If everything goes right in 2-3 years I see them around 81 wins..3-4 years fighting for division possibly

thatdude
01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Grew up a Houston Fan, and staying true, Houstons AAAA minor league team, I think they are called the Astros, are painful to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Saggy Aggie
01-16-2014, 11:33 AM
If everything goes right in 2-3 years I see them around 81 wins..3-4 years fighting for division possibly

Astros will be much improved this year, but every team in the division got better so that may hold them back some. This division is tough

Cam
01-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Sports radio guy thinks they will challenge in 2015....

Saggy Aggie
01-16-2014, 12:12 PM

I think they'll take a major step forward this year and be above or around .500 in 2015. I can see Houston being a playoff caliber team after that

Txbroadcaster
01-16-2014, 12:27 PM

If certain things break right I could see them being good in 2015..like Saggy said..very tough division though

Saggy Aggie
01-16-2014, 01:20 PM
If certain things break right I could see them being good in 2015..like Saggy said..very tough division though

I agree. I'm really excited with the development of the current players, so im optimistic for 2015, but realistically, they'll still be too young to legitimately challenge. I fully expect that by 2016, Houston will be a solid baseball team challenging for the division with a producing farm system. It takes a lot if luck to get to a championship level so I'll just be satisfied when Houston is >.500 with a good farm and money to spend, if that's not too much to ask for LOL

YTBulldogs
01-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Where's the pitchers? Sad.:dispntd:

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/projstats.htm?team=HOU&pos=P

Better trade some of the farm for a few chunkers.

Saggy Aggie
01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Requires a subscription.... Summary?

What's wrong with the Astros young arms? Cosart, Appel, Folty, etc

YTBulldogs
01-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Requires a subscription.... Summary?

What's wrong with the Astros young arms? Cosart, Appel, Folty, etc

Sorry. I have a subscription. Guess I can't allow others to view on my dime. Here is whom they have to make a turd from. Not good IMO. Dern sure not Kershaw, Zimmerman, Darvish, Lee, Strasburg caliber. I only know of Qualls, and he ain't no starter. Soso RP'er. I will be honest, I stopped tracking them since going to the AL, but--these guys they have, can't be top of the line can they?

Cosart, Jarred
Feldman, Scott
Fields, Josh
Keuchel, Dallas
Oberholtzer, Brett
Peacock, Brad
Qualls, Chad

Saggy Aggie
01-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Sorry. I have a subscription. Guess I can't allow others to view on my dime. Here is whom they have to make a turd from. Not good IMO. Dern sure not Kershaw, Zimmerman, Darvish, Lee, Strasburg caliber. I only know of Qualls, and he ain't no starter. Soso RP'er. I will be honest, I stopped tracking them since going to the AL, but--these guys they have, can't be top of the line can they?

Cosart, Jarred
Feldman, Scott
Fields, Josh
Keuchel, Dallas
Oberholtzer, Brett
Peacock, Brad
Qualls, Chad

Qualls and fields are bullpen guys.

Cosart and Obie put up filthy numbers last year in the majors. 2 VERY promising young arms.

Folty, McCullers and Appel are very high ceiling guys in the minors right now not listed on here. Appel was the #1 overall pick so he's got as much potential as anyone. There are several other young arms in the minors with bright futures not to mention Houston is expected to take another pitcher with their number 1 pick coming up this year.

Feldman is a stop gap innings eater. Same with Keuchel. Lucas Harrell not listed. They're decent. Feldman probably a little better than the other two.

Not a fan of peacock. Have a hard time believing he will make the rotation.

Saggy Aggie
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Tanaka signs with the Yankees for 7 yrs/155 mil

Astros reportedly offered Tanaka >100mil

So yeah... What was that theory where we said Houston wasn't willing to spend?

caleb_mccaig
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Tanaka signs with the Yankees for 7 yrs/155 mil

Astros reportedly offered Tanaka >100mil

So yeah... What was that theory where we said Houston wasn't willing to spend?

Spending on one player doesn't mean you're willing to spend. The Yankee's and Dodgers are willing to spend. Even the A's, who never spend, signed Cespedes to a 4 year/$36, which is a pretty big contract for an unproven hitter without any experience over here.

YTBulldogs
01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Houston's offer came after what they heard NY's offer was. No way they'd spend that amount on one player. They'll end up signing Millwood-like (way past their prime) guys. Kerfeld might still be on their radar.

Tejastrue
01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I remember when I was whining about this...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4907948/yu-darvish-looks-like-a-bigger-bargain-now

The Yankess are just nuts. Glad to see the Astros keep it somewhat sane.

Saggy Aggie
01-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Spending on one player doesn't mean you're willing to spend. The Yankee's and Dodgers are willing to spend.

What?

They just signed Castro, albeit not to a long term deal.... Yet. Signed Altuve.

They offered a huge contract to Tanaka...

Saggy Aggie
01-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Houston's offer came after what they heard NY's offer was.

And you got this where? Pulled it out of your ass? Clemens went on record today saying Houston made a legit offer to try and get Tanaka. Are you suggesting Houston intentionally offered less knowing he wouldn't sign? For what reason?

You've already proven your ignorance to me when it comes to the Astros multiple times in this thread

Roughneck93
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Keith Law's annual farm system rankings are out.

Has the Astros at #1.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/astros-farm-system-ranked-no-1-by-espn?ymd=20140128&content_id=67201986&vkey=news_mlb

Saggy Aggie
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Best hitter pitcher combo in the minors with appel/correa also...

It's not like I've been saying this for over a year....