PDA

View Full Version : fishing Tournament

Farmersfan
01-13-2014, 01:55 PM
I fished the first tournament of the year yesterday on Lake Welsh. My partner and I won 1st place in the tournament and also won Big Bass with a 4.33lb. Tough day with a lot of wind but we pulled it out. Next month we fish Lake Cypress Springs. Anyone that fishes this lake very much would be a lifesaver if you could give me some advice on some good spots. I rented a cabin on Cypress Springs a couple of years ago and fished 1 afternoon but that's all I know about this lake. HELP!

Gone Fishing
01-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I fished the first tournament of the year yesterday on Lake Welsh. My partner and I won 1st place in the tournament and also won Big Bass with a 4.33lb. Tough day with a lot of wind but we pulled it out. Next month we fish Lake Cypress Springs. Anyone that fishes this lake very much would be a lifesaver if you could give me some advice on some good spots. I rented a cabin on Cypress Springs a couple of years ago and fished 1 afternoon but that's all I know about this lake. HELP!

I'm jealous... lol.. I fished club and other tournaments, but had to stop at the end of 2010. I miss it a bunch. I hope to get back sometime soon though. Sorry I don't know lake CS but post some others when you go and I might be able to help, especially central or south Tx. Good luck man.

lostaussie
01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
You fishing a trail or is it club tournament? I will be headed to Birmingham next month for the BMC. I like it better when its a little closer.

Farmersfan
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
You fishing a trail or is it club tournament? I will be headed to Birmingham next month for the BMC. I like it better when its a little closer.

Starting small. It's the local Bass Club tournament trail. Monthly tournaments through Oct and then the club championship in November.

We will fish the following lakes each month in order. Cypress Springs, Lake Fork, Lake Winnsboro, Pat Mayse Lake, Ray Roberts, Lake Holbrook, Lake Bonham, Lake Quitman, Lake Hawkins..........

Farmersfan
01-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Are you fishing the Classic or are you going as a spectator?

lostaussie
01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Are you fishing the Classic or are you going as a spectator?neither..... work:D its a hard job but somebody's gotta do it.

Farmersfan
01-14-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm jealous... lol.. I fished club and other tournaments, but had to stop at the end of 2010. I miss it a bunch. I hope to get back sometime soon though. Sorry I don't know lake CS but post some others when you go and I might be able to help, especially central or south Tx. Good luck man.

I can see how it will get in your blood. I have been wanting to get started in tournaments for several years now but never really found the will to do it until now. I fish pretty much every weekend anyway when the weather is tolerable. It makes for some very busy weekends because we have just purchased 2 new Jet Skis to go along with the RV and my wife wants to go ride almost every weekend. I try to incorporate RVing, fishing and Jet Skiing into the same weekend trip but that rarely ever works out. It almost has to be a 3 day weekend to make it worth the effort of taking the RV out of storage and setting up camp. Hopefully this year we can manage to do it a lot more... Good luck getting back into the tournament circuit. I will probably be fishing several of the BIG lake Fork tournaments this year.

lostaussie
01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I can see how it will get in your blood. I have been wanting to get started in tournaments for several years now but never really found the will to do it until now. I fish pretty much every weekend anyway when the weather is tolerable. It makes for some very busy weekends because we have just purchased 2 new Jet Skis to go along with the RV and my wife wants to go ride almost every weekend. I try to incorporate RVing, fishing and Jet Skiing into the same weekend trip but that rarely ever works out. It almost has to be a 3 day weekend to make it worth the effort of taking the RV out of storage and setting up camp. Hopefully this year we can manage to do it a lot more... Good luck getting back into the tournament circuit. I will probably be fishing several of the BIG lake Fork tournaments this year.Skeeter Owners Tournament??

Gone Fishing
01-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I can see how it will get in your blood. I have been wanting to get started in tournaments for several years now but never really found the will to do it until now. I fish pretty much every weekend anyway when the weather is tolerable. It makes for some very busy weekends because we have just purchased 2 new Jet Skis to go along with the RV and my wife wants to go ride almost every weekend. I try to incorporate RVing, fishing and Jet Skiing into the same weekend trip but that rarely ever works out. It almost has to be a 3 day weekend to make it worth the effort of taking the RV out of storage and setting up camp. Hopefully this year we can manage to do it a lot more... Good luck getting back into the tournament circuit. I will probably be fishing several of the BIG lake Fork tournaments this year.

Yeah I miss it. Me and 5 other guys started a bass club over here and I fished it hard for two years and then had to leave it. Two reasons for quitting. one, I'm a small contractor and starting in 08 I sunk. Had to sell my boat in the fall of 09. And two, my son was starting playing varsity football 2010,11 an 12 and my focus went totally for him, and also my daughter had left for Tarleton at the same time!! Fishing and my boat came in third place in a hurry. Lol... Economy not much better now either and my son is playing college football in Ark now, so it may be a few more years, but I will get back. Good luck.

Gone Fishing
01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
neither..... work:D its a hard job but somebody's gotta do it.

Are you a sales rep in the fishing business?

bobcat1
01-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Are you a sales rep in the fishing business?
He's a head honcho at Skeeter Boats.

Gone Fishing
01-14-2014, 09:34 PM
He's a head honcho at Skeeter Boats.

Dang , my favorite boat!! and now lostaussie is my favorite poster....

Farmersfan
01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Skeeter Owners Tournament??

Probably! I fish out of a older Skeeter now. Love the boat. I'm debating whether to restore this one or purchase a newer one....

Rabid Cougar
01-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Fishing and Jet skiing should not be mentioned in the same breath.....

Farmersfan
01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah I miss it. Me and 5 other guys started a bass club over here and I fished it hard for two years and then had to leave it. Two reasons for quitting. one, I'm a small contractor and starting in 08 I sunk. Had to sell my boat in the fall of 09. And two, my son was starting playing varsity football 2010,11 an 12 and my focus went totally for him, and also my daughter had left for Tarleton at the same time!! Fishing and my boat came in third place in a hurry. Lol... Economy not much better now either and my son is playing college football in Ark now, so it may be a few more years, but I will get back. Good luck.

I can relate. I worked as a GM of a major restaurant chain for over 12 years while my boys were growing up. I worked 70 or more hours a week and never really had time to do anything else. When my boys got into high school I changed jobs but then couldn't afford to do much. When my youngest graduated from Farmersville in 07' and then went into the Army instead of college I started fishing again. I have an older boat that I didn't have to put a lot of money into and promised my wife I wouldn't invest in an expensive one until i was positive I was going to use it enough to justify the cost! Well 6 years later and I'm still nursing this old Skeeter along. I love the boat and I love not having that monthly payment even more. At least until the 2 Jet Skis are paid off............ :cool:

Farmersfan
01-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Fishing and Jet skiing should not be mentioned in the same breath.....

Hatfields and McCoys? LOL. Actually I think Jet Skiing and boating (wake boarding or Water skiing) are more at odds most of the time than fishermen. For some reason a lot of people don't like Jet Skis jumping their wake!!!!! It's not worth the aggravation so if I see it's pissing them off I go away. Everybody is entitled to their water.