PDA

View Full Version : Astros Craig Biggio-MLB Hall Of Fame

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Do yall believe that Astros Craig Biggio will be elected into MLB Hall of Fame on Wednesday?
He sure deserves it. Think he played three different positions and was a stellar Houston community person.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24397614/fivetool-player-craig-biggios-hall-of-fame-case

coach
01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lostaussie
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
was a stellar Houston community person.
This...............is not one of the criteria

1st and goal
01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
This...............is not one of the criteria

Might want to run that by Pete Rose.

And all the steroid crew...I prefer not to let their records stand. They cheated.

Roughneck93
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
After all that he's done, how can he not get in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWF-e9lG_U4&sns=em

:D

lostaussie
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Might want to run that by Pete Rose.

And all the steroid crew...I prefer not to let their records stand. They cheated.Didn't say I didn't want Craig to get in.............just saying that being a good Houstonian doesn't get you many votes:D

Roughneck93
01-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Biggio falls just short...74.8%.

Maddox, Glavine and Thomas in.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/greg-maddux-tom-glavine-and-frank-thomas-elected-to-the-baseball-hall-of-fame/

coach
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Mike Piazza should have gotten in and its a crock that Schilling isnt inducted yet. He may go down as the most underrated pitcher of all time.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Biggio is borderline very good/ great player

1st and goal
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Biggio falls just short...74.8%.

Maddox, Glavine and Thomas in.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/greg-maddux-tom-glavine-and-frank-thomas-elected-to-the-baseball-hall-of-fame/

Maddox and Glavine were kings of the "off the plate outside strike zone". I HATED THAT AND ATLANTA DURING THOSE YEARS. I still want the plate called by the fancy software to eliminate B___SH_T.

maestro
01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Biggio is borderline very good/ great player

Wow, what a shame. But I have wondered the difference between greatness in stats and just longevity.

Biggio was solid for several years. Must be questions on greatness.

1st and goal
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
I think his play at centerfield was not his best. I remember laughing my a&$ off him running up Tal Hill trying to catch a ball. He was late getting there but he still swatted at it.

Crow22
01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I think his play at centerfield was not his best. I remember laughing my a&$ off him running up Tal Hill trying to catch a ball. He was late getting there but he still swatted at it.

Ever tried to run up a hill and catch a ball? Me neither. Of course, most places don't have hills in the middle of centerfield.

Craig Biggio is the ONLY guy in history with 3,000 hits, 600 doubles, 250 home runs, and 400 stolen bases. Please, please, please...someone argue that if he's the ONLY GUY IN HISTORY with those stats, he doesn't belong in the HOF.

And I'm NOT an Astro fan.

lostaussie
01-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I think Biggio gets in next year......wow, missed it by like one vote.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
BS, he missed it by 2 votes.

Scoop27
01-08-2014, 03:52 PM
yeah a tough close vote-Just found out when I got back home from running errands
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/01/08/craig-biggio-falls-short-of-hall-of-fame/?cmpid=hpfc

OldBison75
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
He was the ultimate team player. No other player has been a catcher, second baseman, and outfielder and maintained the numbers he put up. He was even an all star pick at all three positions. If there was ever a player that deserved to be in the Hall on performance alone, this is the one. How many players have been able to move from one position to another and be as productive offensively and defensively as he was. Most catchers become first baseman because range is an issue with the knees, not Biggio, he moved to second base and excelled. He then played centerfield and after a little time was picked as a reserve all star at that position too.

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I think Biggio deserved to be voted into the HOF today. I was very surprised he wasn't. I want to say that before I say my next sentence as I'm sure it will draw some ire.

You can complain about him not getting in all you want but these guys who vote watched these guys play and analyzed stats more than anyone else on this entire forum. I, unlike many of those writers, see no problem in letting players from the steroid era in because I think they all played on a level playing field (They all juiced). But, if you want to be in the HOF you shouldn't leave it up to the voters. You should make it to where they have no other choice but to let you in. Obviously, some writers felt the wasn't deserving, which is a shame, but if he wanted it that bad he should have played better, simple as that. IMO, he was a good player, but not a great player. I also grew up in the latter of his career, but changing positions more than most players doesn't get you into the HOF.

OldBison75
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I think Biggio deserved to be voted into the HOF today. I was very surprised he wasn't. I want to say that before I say my next sentence as I'm sure it will draw some ire.

You can complain about him not getting in all you want but these guys who vote watched these guys play and analyzed stats more than anyone else on this entire forum. I, unlike many of those writers, see no problem in letting players from the steroid era in because I think they all played on a level playing field (They all juiced). But, if you want to be in the HOF you shouldn't leave it up to the voters. You should make it to where they have no other choice but to let you in. Obviously, some writers felt the wasn't deserving, which is a shame, but if he wanted it that bad he should have played better, simple as that. IMO, he was a good player, but not a great player. I also grew up in the latter of his career, but changing positions more than most players doesn't get you into the HOF.

I agree with 99% of your post but have a few things that need to be added. Biggio played at the top of the game for his entire career for one team. Even when they asked him to move to a position he had never played before (second base) he did not gripe or complain, but moved and became one of the best in the league at that position. Then he was asked to move to outfield and after a short time was very effective there also. Second base and the outfield, especially center field are two of the hardest positions to play once you start aging some because speed and range make a huge difference. Biggio was loyal, did what was in the best interest of the team, and put up numbers that are better than over 50 percent of the current HOF members. It is a travesty that the voters can vote in Frank Thomas that was nothing but a home run hitter in a league that allowed him to not have to play in the field all of the time and ignore all Biggio did for his team.

1st and goal
01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Biggio belongs in HOF!

YTBulldogs
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Frank Thomas that was nothing but a home run hitter in a league that allowed him to not have to play in the field all of the time and ignore all Biggio did for his team.

Frank is the only .300 hitter with over 500 homers. He belongs.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I fear each year Biggio isn't voted in, easier it is for them to over look all he did.

Farmersfan
01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Biggio's biggest detractor for the Hall of Fame is the team he played for. He is a unanimous 1st ballot Hall of Fame'er if he had played for pretty much any other team in the league.

maestro
01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I spent far too much time listening to and reading espn and MLB sites, etc yesterday.

I came away with the notion that the voting system is broken but no one knows how to fix it and the " old guard " of baseball has this closed mind attitude about the number of players they want in.

But to read how some people voted.....guys were getting votes that batted .250 with 1500 hits, or voting for some guys one year and then not the next??

This whole " first ballot " HOF thing. I think that they interviewed Ryan Sandburg and he said that he has never been introduced as a third time HOF er just as a HOF er.

None of these guys have added to their stats in at least five years so if they are HOF material, shouldn't they all be first ballot HOF ?????

Biggio has the stats but " oh he is not a first or second ballot guy"

WHAT ??????