PDA

View Full Version : State Champs your team has lost to and your thoughts on the matter

WOS87
01-05-2014, 07:26 AM
WOS has met several legendary teams and came close to knocking a few off... and got blown away by some as well. This post isn't meant to tout WOS... just want to share some history and hear other's stories

Beaumont West Brook 1982 5A State Champs

Lost 7-15 in a district game. Famous team because they were the product of a forced merger of an all white school (Beaumont Forest Park) that had an awful football record with an all black school (Beaumont Hebert) with a very good football history by a federal judge due to what was essentially gerrymandered segregation with both schools being unhappy about the matter and they won state the first year out. The 2nd school after Lubbock Estacado (1968) to win a state title in their inaugural season.

Beaumont French 1984 5A Co-State Champs

Lost 16-27 in a district game. Famous team for being a huge underdog and tying a highly favored Odessa Permian 21-21 in the title game. Saw this game in person and was shocked out of my mind when they tied Permian.

Houston Yates 1985 5A State Champs

Lost 6-19 in the Regional Playoffs to the well known, very dominant team and only HISD school to win a UIL football title in the past 60 years. We were tied 6-6, leading in penetrations with less than 6 minutes left in the game and they scored twice at the very end of the 4th quarter and went on to destroy yet another highly favored Odessa Permian team in the State Finals.... 37-0. Saw the WOS game in person at the Astrodome! Was an awful drive home because we thought we had it.

Paris 1988 4A State Champs

Lost 13-31 in a huge upset in the State Championship game after winning two consecutive State Titles in 1986 and 1987 against a Paris team that started their season 0-3. They ran the same up the middle play over and over and over and we couldn't stop them. Paris didn't win another playoff game for 20 years. I was at the game in College Station and it was freezing cold.

LaMarque 1995 4A State Champs

Lost 7-18 in the Regional playoffs again leading 7-6 well into the 4th quarter like a repeat of the 1985 Houston Yates game. Another heartbreaker.

LaMarque 1997 4A-D2 State Champs

Lost 12-23 in the Regional playoffs in a game we went in ranked #6 and La Marque was unranked yet they went on to win their 3rd consecutive state title that year. LaMarque was the bane of our existence in the 90's but we finally beat them in 2000, which leads us to...

Ennis 2000 4A-D2 State Champs

Lost 24-38 in the State Finals as the lowest 4A enrollment school in the state at the time. We were ranked #5, they were #10 in the AP poll. Think it was 31-0 at half. We scored all 24 points in the 2nd half. First time we'd ever gone up against a spread offense and they blindsided us. Saw this one in person as well and wasn't fun. We knew it was over at halftime but being able to make adjustments and come back to win the second half 24-7 was somewhat of a moral victory.

Wimberley 2005 3A-D1 State Champs

Lost 29-52 in the State Semifinals. This game still holds the record for the most points ever scored against the Mustangs. Huge offense that was unstoppable. We went in ranked #2, Wimberley #5

Navasota 2012 3A-D2 State Champs

Lost 7-38 in a major blowout in the State Quarterfinals. They were ranked #1 in the final AP poll. Nothing more to say other than they were an amazing team. The 7 we scored were essentially a gimme TD as time ran out at the end of the game.

Carthage 2013 3A-D1 State Champs

Lost 14-28 in the State Quarterfinals yet again; in a game that was closer than most would have thought. Held them to the fewest points of any team that season although the weather was a factor. Could have easily gone the other way when Carthage went for it on a 4th down on their own 17 only leading 20-14 late in the 4th. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Rabid Cougar
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Cameron

Cuero 1987 3A State Champs.

Cameron lost to Cuero 34 to 27 in the State Semi-final on a non-fumble call. Tied 27 to 27 late in the 4th qtr, Cameron's nose guard hit Cuero's RB Robert Straight causing a fumble. Cameron recovered inside Cuero's 30 yard line. The Referee rules that the RB was down. B lown Call. Tape shows he was hit as he was being handed the ball. The very next play Straight took it to the house for winning TD. Cuero played McGregor the State Championship game and won.

Daingerfield 2010 2A Div 1 State Champion

Daingerfield 33 Cameron 27. State Championship Game Daingerfield throws a touchdown pass on the last play of the game to win the SC. Daingerfield was loaded with D1 Recruits.

China Spring

Celina 2007 3A Division 2 State Champion

Celina 21 China Spring 14 State Champioship Game - China Spring QB Dustin Eskew withstood Celina's ferocious all out blitzs all game long. China Spring was moving to score the game tying score with 2:17 in the fourth when a pass bounced off Mike Hicks face mask into Celina safety's hands for Int. The Celina player had buried his grandfather (?) that very morning. China Spring defense holds Celina to it lowest point total of the season.

Navasota 2012 A Division 1 State Champion

Navasota 63 China Spring 13 Bi-District. Clearly the best 3 A foootball team I have seen in quite some time. QB and recievers were unreal on Offense and defense was stiffling.

5wide
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Decatur lost to Abilene Wylie in 2004 -

We beat them 44-6 for homecoming then played them in the third round at Tarleton Stadium. Ended up losing 14-13 and I think we had 6 turnovers and two missed field goals. To make things worse, one of the Decatur receivers had the ball punched out of the back of the endzone as as he was crossing the goal line late in the 4th. Crushing defeat that Decatur should have won.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Marshall lost to Ennis 2004 23-21 State Finals

Marshall outplayed them but a safety then return of the following kick for a TD was the difference. a great Title game..Ennis was at tail end of their run and you could see this was a normal Ennis team. Ran more than threw

Marshall lost to HP 59-0 2005 State Final Game
The infamous Stadium controversy
Marshall ran thru a VERY weak region that year and most knew the butt kicking was gonna happen...HP was a machine of course with Strafford and the running game

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Carthage, and they handed it to us on both sides of the ball. No excuses.

Aggie98
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Lost to Carthage in '13
Lost to S'ville in '12
Lost to Henderson in '10
Lost to Gilmer in '09
Lost to Carthage in '09

All great teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NastySlot
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Marshall lost to Ennis 2004 23-21 State Finals

Marshall outplayed them but a safety then return of the following kick for a TD was the difference. a great Title game..Ennis was at tail end of their run and you could see this was a normal Ennis team. Ran more than threw

Marshall lost to HP 59-0 2005 State Final Game
The infamous Stadium controversy
Marshall ran thru a VERY weak region that year and most knew the butt kicking was gonna happen...HP was a machine of course with Strafford and the running game

you forgot a classic in Waco v. Dallas Carter. Jessie Armstead lines up at TE and catches game winner in final minutes.

That Marshall team was good. Saw them play a few times that season...Benny Valetine and Odell Beckham

slingshot
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Stephenville '12--we were good, they were better Gilmer '09--they were better, but we were terribly beat up Prosper '08--that one still hurts. I still honestly think we were better and that we won the game--the QB did not cross the goal line on the decisive 2 pt conversion in double OT... he hit the ground and bounced over. I was standing even with the goal line... saw it clearly, oh well.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
you forgot a classic in Waco v. Dallas Carter. Jessie Armstead lines up at TE and catches game winner in final minutes.

That Marshall team was good. Saw them play a few times that season...Benny Valetine and Odell Beckham

yea q-final game..if our LB does not get hurt week before I think he makes the play because he was screaming from sideline Armstead was coming in

Emerson1
01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
La Grange

Got lucky DaBryan Blanton fumbled.

NastySlot
01-05-2014, 10:11 PM
yea q-final game..if our LB does not get hurt week before I think he makes the play because he was screaming from sideline Armstead was coming in

was the game before the Lakeview game?

I was at that one also.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
was the game before the Lakeview game?

I was at that one also.

week after..Marshall beat Lakeview then lost to Carter

WOS87
01-05-2014, 11:54 PM
week after..Marshall beat Lakeview then lost to Carter

Friday Night Lights!

I'm still confused how Dallas Jesuit ended up as a supposed Permian playoff victim in the movie

toddg
01-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Friday Night Lights!

I'm still confused how Dallas Jesuit ended up as a supposed Permian playoff victim in the movie
In the movies...anything can happen!! :)

WOS87
01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
In the movies...anything can happen!! :)

or money can happen... oops... I didn't say that. Converse Judson got screwed out of that whole "deal". Judson didn't/doesn't have an enrollment fee.

If I end up dead you know who did it lol. Would have loved to have been there to see Marshall, Judson, Carter or Permian in any game that year.

buckeyebob
01-06-2014, 12:37 AM
2013 Gilmer & Argyle 3A-D2 Regional - Buckeyes & Eagles duel it out. Sent us to the basketball court early & went on to State Champion 38-45 Final

2012 Gilmer & Navasota 3A-D2 State Champion Final - Buckeyes took opening kick-off, marched down the field, settled for a field goal...life is good - 3-0...Rattlers took the filed and forgot to return it...selfish...39-3 Final

2011 Gilmer & Argyle 3A-D2 Quarter Final By the second meeting , we understood what they would do...spank that butt...35-51 Final

2010 Gilmer lost to Carthge 21-38 in district play...Buckeyes & Eagles 3A-D2 Regional Final...14-41 Final...enough said...had a sore tongue the next week from licking my wounds that weekend

2009 Gilmer & Abalene Wylie...3A-D2 State Championship...Buckeyes too 'em 43-26...we had met with Cuero the oreceeding week...a slobber knocker...best high school game I ever saw...thei was a very special time...Gilmer made The Run & established a chapter in the Book of Lore...the game had been back & forth...the crowds were loud...3 minutes left & the Bux are 4th & several on their 32...Stump Godfrey come to the sideline & tells Jeff Traylor to let him have the ball, he has a state championship to wiin...The Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQ0eAwtA_4&feature=youtu.be
Watch the whole thing...sorry to d it to you Cuero

WOS87
01-06-2014, 12:44 AM
sorry to d it to you Cuero

Would love to hear from Cuero.... they have some stories I know for sure!. Cuero vs Gregory-Portland back in the 70's... Cuero in the 80's, 90's and 00's... major consistency

Celina!? where are you? I see you all lurking.

2muchOffense
01-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Ville's last 5:

Loss to Kilgore 2013 (SemiFinals)

Win over El Campo 2012 (State Champs)

Loss to Aledo 2011 (QuarterFinals)

Loss to Aledo 2010 (Regional Finals)

Loss to Aledo 2009 (QuarterFinals)

2muchOffense
01-06-2014, 03:35 AM
I know Kilgore didn't win state but they played for it and the beating they gave us is still fresh on the mind. I wasn't in Stephenville for the Highland Park game and I can't comment on the Briles era or Brownwood teams.

GrTigers6
01-06-2014, 06:24 AM
My High school
Santa Anna vs Goldthwaite 1986 Bi district. Santa Anna's best team in years. Starting Sr QB got the flew. Started a freshman QB down 6-0 at the half after a 47 and 49 yard field goals by their Right guard. Final 27-0 closest game the eagles played thru state.
My kids school
Glen Rose vs Celina 2007 70-21 It was the farthest GR had ever gone in the playoffs. It was a little shell shock to have to play celina. Led the game after 1st qtr then all down hill from there.

Emerson1
01-06-2014, 09:26 AM
WOS87 is Forney's all time history still laying around somewhere?

easttexas3a
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
My hometown is Jacksonville.

1996 and 1997 (I believe these years are right)
Lost to Texas City back to back years in the third round. Both years TC went on to win state fairly easy. I believe in 96 we lost 10-7 and in 97 lost 28-27. In 97 we got ahead 27-13 but the missed extra point would come back to haunt us. I was younger, but I remember it being very cold, and Texas City just kept running the ball and the clock. In 96 TC jumped out to a 10 point lead early, but Jacksonville made it interesting with a 4th quarter touchdown. As a side note, Josh McCowin was the QB of both of those Jville teams. Lit it up for the bears this year as a backup, and has had a nice little NFL career.

2000 Ennis
Believe we lost 48-13. Was at Texas Stadium, supposedly Danny Long the head coach knew he would probably lose, so instead of playing on a more neutral field he asked for Texas Stadium. Ennis was very good that year. Tons of speed on D. It was the regional final, Jacksonville was a pretty good team, and Ennis just flat out handled em.

2004 Kilgore
Lost 20-17. Was for the district title, Kilgore at the time ranked #2 Jacksonville ranked #10. Jacksonville went on to lose to Lamarque 29-28, or there would of been a Jacksonville Kilgore rematch in regional championship. Was a slobberknocker of a game. Kilgore ran for around 300 yards, but struggled to put it in the endzone vs. a very good Jacksonville D. Jville was down 20-10 at the half, drove inside the 10 twice in the third quarter only to fumble. Was tough one to lose.

oldtownag
01-06-2014, 10:11 AM
2013 Gilmer & Argyle 3A-D2 Regional - Buckeyes & Eagles duel it out. Sent us to the basketball court early & went on to State Champion 38-45 Final

2012 Gilmer & Navasota 3A-D2 State Champion Final - Buckeyes took opening kick-off, marched down the field, settled for a field goal...life is good - 3-0...Rattlers took the filed and forgot to return it...selfish...39-3 Final

2011 Gilmer & Argyle 3A-D2 Quarter Final By the second meeting , we understood what they would do...spank that butt...35-51 Final

2010 Gilmer lost to Carthge 21-38 in district play...Buckeyes & Eagles 3A-D2 Regional Final...14-41 Final...enough said...had a sore tongue the next week from licking my wounds that weekend

2009 Gilmer & Abalene Wylie...3A-D2 State Championship...Buckeyes too 'em 43-26...we had met with Cuero the oreceeding week...a slobber knocker...best high school game I ever saw...thei was a very special time...Gilmer made The Run & established a chapter in the Book of Lore...the game had been back & forth...the crowds were loud...3 minutes left & the Bux are 4th & several on their 32...Stump Godfrey come to the sideline & tells Jeff Traylor to let him have the ball, he has a state championship to wiin...The Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQ0eAwtA_4&feature=youtu.be

You seem to have forgotten that you lost to Carthage 31-28 in 2008.

oldtownag
01-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that Argyle won the State Championship in 2011. Wimberly I believe beat them.

waterboy
01-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that Argyle won the State Championship in 2011. Wimberly I believe beat them.

You're right, Argyle lost to Wimberley in the title game in '11. I don't see where he said anything different, however.

waterboy
01-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Will never forget that game. Carthage up 24-7 at the half, and I thought we didn't even have a chance. The second half, though, we made a run and came up short. Good game, and Carthage was just starting to get really good then.

caleb_mccaig
01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Cameron

Cuero 1987 3A State Champs.

Cameron lost to Cuero 34 to 27 in the State Semi-final on a non-fumble call. Tied 27 to 27 late in the 4th qtr, Cameron's nose guard hit Cuero's RB Robert Straight causing a fumble. Cameron recovered inside Cuero's 30 yard line. The Referee rules that the RB was down. B lown Call. Tape shows he was hit as he was being handed the ball. The very next play Straight took it to the house for winning TD. Cuero played McGregor the State Championship game and won.

Daingerfield 2010 2A Div 1 State Champion

Daingerfield 33 Cameron 27. State Championship Game Daingerfield throws a touchdown pass on the last play of the game to win the SC. Daingerfield was loaded with D1 Recruits.

China Spring

Celina 2007 3A Division 2 State Champion

Celina 21 China Spring 14 State Champioship Game - China Spring QB Dustin Eskew withstood Celina's ferocious all out blitzs all game long. China Spring was moving to score the game tying score with 2:17 in the fourth when a pass bounced off Mike Hicks face mask into Celina safety's hands for Int. The Celina player had buried his grandfather (?) that very morning. China Spring defense holds Celina to it lowest point total of the season.

Navasota 2012 A Division 1 State Champion

Navasota 63 China Spring 13 Bi-District. Clearly the best 3 A foootball team I have seen in quite some time. QB and recievers were unreal on Offense and defense was stiffling.

Don't forget Liberty Hill in 2006.

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Don't forget Liberty Hill in 2006.

Liberty Hill 2006 3 A Division 2 (?) State Champion

Liberty Hill 54 China Spring 27 Liberty Hill uses not its size and powerful Slot T running attack but the pass to beat China Spring. The outcome was never in question. In subsequent games, China Spring is 2-0 against LH. ( I had to put a positive spin on it some way:cool:)

caleb_mccaig
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Liberty Hill 2006 3 A Division 2 (?) State Champion

Liberty Hill 54 China Spring 27 Liberty Hill uses not its size and powerful Slot T running attack but the pass to beat China Spring. The outcome was never in question. In subsequent games, China Spring is 2-0 against LH. ( I had to put a positive spin on it some way:cool:)

Hahaha nice. They were probably the most physical team we ever played against. Doug Allman, I think that was his name, was a load to tackle.

buckeyebob
01-06-2014, 01:21 PM

I just went back 5 years...but yep, lost to the Dawgs in Quarter Finals...lost to Kilgore in preseason also

hookandladder
01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
La Grange

Got lucky DaBryan Blanton fumbled.

Sounds like something a loser would say, just saying.

44INAROW
01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Would love to hear from Cuero.... they have some stories I know for sure!. Cuero vs Gregory-Portland back in the 70's... Cuero in the 80's, 90's and 00's... major consistency

Celina!? where are you? I see you all lurking.

We're here - Just swamped at work..

I witnessed Cuero kicking GP's a$$ when GP was picked to skunk the Gobblers in 1973 or was it 74... . Like to have froze my butt off in Victoria that night. We went on to win State that year, and the next and lose to Ennis in 1975 my senior year - Ennis ran the opening kickoff back at Kyle Field.. we lost 13-10 I think.. something like that
We have lost to some fine caliber teams and I won't whine about missed/blown calls.. (that's part of the game... ask anyone that saw Semi Finals - Hutto/Cuero in 2005) but I digress. :)

Lost to Southlake Carroll in 1993 - they went to 4A next realignment and 5A the next
Lost to Aledo in 1998.. they moved up the next realignment
Lost to Abilene Wylie in 2004 (last second FG - that hurt) Case Keenum was the game changer in that game
Lost to Gilmer in 2009 - probably the best football game I've ever witnessed. (wished we would have won - but it was a great game nonetheless)

I have left a call for a lurker who doesn't post much, but he'll have all kinds of scoop - hope he shares it with me so I can post it.

Lion70
01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Henderson 1-7 against eventual State Champion

1968 Lubbock Estacdo ( Lost 33-0) (Simi) Note Henderson best team until 2010 and was the first year for Lubbock Estacdo
1973 Cuero (Lost 25-35 Regional)
1989 Chapel Hill Won 22-6 in reg season
2004 Lost to Kilgore 24-6 in Reg and 24-0 in Bi District ( Note Henderson failed too get a first down= Ouch) (but we sucked that year)
2008 Lost to Carthage 33-3 ( Henderson was terrible that year)
2009 Lost to Carthage 14-13 Was winning 13-0 till the 4th and lost ( Last year in 4A)
2010 Lost to Carthage 33-43 ( Note won 3a Division 1 over Chapel Hill)

Roughneck93
01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
What I have witnessed since moving to WC. Hope I didn't miss any.

1983 Bay City 4A State Champs
Lost 42-13 in district.
This was my first year in West Columbia. I was nine years old and I learned to hate BC right away...

1987 West Orange-Stark 4A State Champs
Lost 30-7 in Quarterfinals @ Astrodome
Columbia had pretty much ran through everyone in the playoffs leading up to this game. Beat Jasper, Friendswood and Tomball by a combined score of 118-28. Then, heartbreak at the Dome...:(
To this day, still looking for our first win against WO-S...

2000 Bay City 4A D1 State Champs
Lost 35-10 in district.

2005 Wimberley 3A D1 State Champs
Lost 62-7 in Regionals @ Victoria
Texans were pretty good...;)

2011 Chapel Hill 3A D1 State Champs
Lost 21-16 in Semis @ SFA
Oh so close. Still not over this game.

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
What I have witnessed since moving to WC. Hope I didn't miss any.

1983 Bay City 4A State Champs
Lost 42-13 in district.
This was my first year in West Columbia. I was nine years old and I learned to hate BC right away...

1987 West Orange-Stark 4A State Champs
Lost 30-7 in Quarterfinals @ Astrodome
Columbia had pretty much ran through everyone in the playoffs leading up to this game. Beat Jasper, Friendswood and Tomball by a combined score of 118-28. Then, heartbreak at the Dome...:(
To this day, still looking for our first win against WO-S...

2000 Bay City 4A D1 State Champs
Lost 35-10 in district.

2005 Wimberley 3A D1 State Champs
Lost 62-7 in Regionals @ Victoria
Texans were pretty good...;)

2011 Chapel Hill 3A D1 State Champs
Lost 21-16 in Semis @ SFA
Oh so close. Still not over this game.

Think we lost to Brownwood in state in 69 maybe?? Don't know the score

Roughneck93
01-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Think we lost to Brownwood in state in 69 maybe?? Don't know the score

Correct.

34-16

WOS87
01-06-2014, 10:02 PM
WOS87 is Forney's all time history still laying around somewhere?

ummm... I have the whole thing back to 1902 but unfortunately since my online storage switched I can only do this for ya... sorry. It's very rudimentary but it's what I have right now 1990-2008. Forney lost some games to some big teams decades ago.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=732&d=1389063587]

Last column numbers and question marks are discrepencies in scores from the various sources I've used. Feel free to verify what's correct and what isn't.