PDA

View Full Version : My 60th birthday bash next Saturday on Jan 11

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Having my 60th birthday bash and party on Jan 11 at historic Hungerford Hall. Expecting over 150 persons so far. Will have food, beer and a live country band. Hall is 82 years old and oldest in Wharton County
My actual birthday is on Jan 15 but booked the Hall for Weekend on Saturday night
Yall are all invited

regaleagle
01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
That sounds like quite a bash for a birthday celebration. I remember back in my college days in San Marcos, my brother and I threw a big birthday bash party for our 20th and 21st birthdays respectively and about half the college showed up.(we are a year and 3 days apart). The party lasted 2 days. The police were actually directing traffic and parking so many cars showed....must've been close to 1000 people at that one, lol. There was lots of kegs, harry buffalo stations, food everywhere, music, the pool, and just about anything else you can think of going on at this big bash back in the 70's. Back then, a whole lot more leniency was allowed than now, esp. in San Marcos during those streaking days, if some you remember. Yep, that one was the very best of the bestest birthday bashes I've ever seen....and it was MY party and organized by us and some friends. Of course, we knew just about all the "in" group back then, or had friends on the football team, all the frats and sororities, and then just friends of friends. Even George Strait was one of those at the party. We knew George back then...he was just a student like the rest of us. We had been students at the college for several years then...so that made a big difference too. But Happy Birthday to you on your 60th....I hope it turns out to be a good-un. My son's birthday just happens to be on January 11, and he will be 25 this year. Time stops for no one.

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Did you ever go to a skating rink and dance place in San Marcos called the Skate Skeller?
I was living in Austin and going to school. Went to SM every Thursday night for a dance where my friend had a band called The Velvets.
It was a happening place and a lot of girl were out number the guys and could always find a dance parter

Old Tiger
01-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Will you show up late?

regaleagle
01-07-2014, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Scoop27;1799109]Did you ever go to a skating rink and dance place in San Marcos called the Skate Skeller?
I was living in Austin and going to school. Went to SM every Thursday night for a dance where my friend had a band called The Velvets.
It was a happening place and a lot of girl were out number the guys and could always find a dance parter[/QUOTE

The Skate Skeller and The Velvets.....now you're bringing back memories. I had completely forgotten about times at that place. Yeah, back then the chickies were about 3 to 1 all over San Marcos, and the Skate Skeller was no different. Needless to say, me and my buds didn't lack for fun and good times, haha. But the place that was really happening was Cheatham Street Warehouse. It was not unusual to get Willie over there back in those days. We had Waylon, Commander Cody, ZZTop Band, Marcia Ball, and The Ace in the Hole band(George Strait's early band), among many other great and now famous bands. Kent Finley(and his High Cotton Express) owned the place and he was really connected to the Austin scene. He was a good dude, and really treated me and a few others special. Heck...I used to sit at his special table when Willie came and we all sat there and drank beers and had a good ol' time to the wee hours in the morning. Same for ZZ Top and the other acts. I didn't realize at the time how special those times really were and how fortunate just a country boy from Goliad like me was. But they all seemed to like me,(I was lots of fun back then) and it was all fun.

44INAROW
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Scoop27;1799109]Did you ever go to a skating rink and dance place in San Marcos called the Skate Skeller?
It was a happening place and a lot of girl were out number the guys and could always find a dance parter[/QUOTE

The Skate Skeller and The Velvets.....now you're bringing back memories. I had completely forgotten about times at that place. Yeah, back then the chickies were about 3 to 1 all over San Marcos, and the Skate Skeller was no different. Needless to say, me and my buds didn't lack for fun and good times, haha. But the place that was really happening was Cheatham Street Warehouse. It was not unusual to get Willie over there back in those days. We had Waylon, Commander Cody, ZZTop Band, Marcia Ball, and The Ace in the Hole band(George Strait's early band), among many other great and now famous bands. Kent Finley(and his High Cotton Express) owned the place and he was really connected to the Austin scene. He was a good dude, and really treated me and a few others special. Heck...I used to sit at his special table when Willie came and we all sat there and drank beers and had a good ol' time to the wee hours in the morning. Same for ZZ Top and the other acts. I didn't realize at the time how special those times really were and how fortunate just a country boy from Goliad like me was. But they all seemed to like me,(I was lots of fun back then) and it was all fun.

OMG The Velvets.. now that brings back some good memories.................. used to go to this little dance hall on the way to La Grange called Swiss Alp... We'd like to go check out the LG and Giddings guys :) we saw ZZ Top and Canned Heat at Sun Valley in Victoria in the spring of 1973.. I got grounded forever for going, but it was worth it. ( I was a freshman and snuck out with my now husband)
Hope you have a great birthday party Scoop - you might let your wife drive you home :)

Saggy Aggie
01-10-2014, 10:57 PM
I'll be there scoop

Scoop27
01-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Almost time to start partying-It's still not too late for yall to make the drive to Hungerford