PDA

View Full Version : Texas hires Louisville Coach Strong

Pages : [1] 2

bobcat1
01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308833/article/reports-louisvilles-charlie-strong-to-be-texas-head-coach

Rabid Cougar
01-04-2014, 10:10 AM
We'll see how that recruiting pipeline to south Florida helps him now.

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Will be interesting to watch. As the article States, it's a good football hire. I just wonder if the politics side will work out.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
We'll see how that recruiting pipeline to south Florida helps him now.

My guess is it could draw bigger names.

Politics will work itself out with wins. Texas definitely needs a culture change in the politics aspect of the school. I've heard Bill Powers has maybe 1-2 year left in him at Texas.

As I stated in the other thread if he brings his DC Bedford who has ties in Texas and goes out and gets an OC that is very good, this hire will be slam dunk.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
double post

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Congrats Charlie. Time to get to work. Hook'em!!!

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I love the way the article says "according to multiple media outlets". Remember Chip Brown and his "Mack Brown is fired" article?

I'll believe it when Patterson or Powers announces it as official.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I love the way the article says "according to multiple media outlets". Remember Chip Brown and his "Mack Brown is fired" article?

I'll believe it when Patterson or Powers announces it as official.Well Chip was right, wasn't he? The timeline was just a few days off.

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Twitter world is saying strong has informed his staff at UL that no final decision has been made.

maestro
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
How did scoop miss breaking this?

He must be on the UT volleyball recruiting trail

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20140103-national-columnist-charlie-strong-would-be-the-absolute-worst-fit-for-texas-job-jimbo-fisher-top-candidate-left.ece

Pat forde doesn't like the hire.

Aesculus gilmus
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I hope this is true. The "country club" days are over in Austin, according to the 104.9 The Horn talk hosts I'm listening to right now.

A&M's recruiting advantage is still there for now. But it may narrow fairly rapidly after this hire. I don't know where this leaves Kris Boyd's offer he got last summer, though.

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Well Chip was right, wasn't he? The timeline was just a few days off.

Do we know that? "Officially" he stepped down.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Do we know that? "Officially" he stepped down.

Met with powers and said his job was good, only to have a change of tone within 24 hours of that initial meeting.

jason
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Maybe he can bring chad morris on as oc.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Maybe he can bring chad morris on as oc.

Chad Morris has like a $4M buyout or something ridiculous like that.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Chad Morris has like a $4M buyout or something ridiculous like that.

would be a smart 4M spent

Phil C
01-04-2014, 12:46 PM
It isn't official yet. He may just want a raise. I think he will be a good hire. Good coach and good recruiter.

Matthew328
01-04-2014, 12:47 PM
It isn't official yet. He may just want a raise. I think he will be a good hire. Good coach and good recruiter.

There's a hold up, Texas may be balking about bringing in the entire Louisville staff...some think Strong is slow playing this to see if Miami comes open

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2014, 12:50 PM
There's a hold up, Texas may be balking about bringing in the entire Louisville staff...some think Strong is slow playing this to see if Miami comes open

I think part of it is one of the coaches has restrictions from NCAA and UT would have to show just cause to bring him over

Matthew328
01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
yes Hurtt...dont think Texas is real thrilled with Watson as OC either

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
would be a smart 4M spent
For 1 year, not hardly.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Austin American Statesman update story
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bevo-beat/2014/jan/04/charlie-strong-update-mother-nature-holding-things/

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Come on scoop, still behind

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N256CP/history/20140104/1900Z/KCOS/KLOU

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Come on scoop, still behind

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N256CP/history/20140104/1900Z/KCOS/KLOU
Scoop got scooped again?

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Something doesn't smell right on this.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Per @schadjoe, Charlie Strong expected to be announced as HC at Texas tomorrow w presser Monday. Clint Hurtt not expected to come to UT

One of names being mentioned as OC is http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/herman_tom00.html

Roughneck93
01-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Per @schadjoe, Charlie Strong expected to be announced as HC at Texas tomorrow w presser Monday. Clint Hurtt not expected to come to UT

One of names being mentioned as OC is http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/herman_tom00.html

:2thumbsup

Cam
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
So what happens to all the assistants and recruiting staff.....Like Bob Shipley?.....Didn't he just move from Brownwood to the Austin area?.....

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 09:02 PM
So what happens to all the assistants and recruiting staff.....Like Bob Shipley?.....Didn't he just move from Brownwood to the Austin area?.....

probably a complete overhaul.

Hearing the only person on current staff likely to be retained is Oscar Giles.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Isn't Giles a Palacios graduate?

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Isn't Giles a Palacios graduate?

Yes. Played for Pat Walker there.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Giles was a classy act for the Sharks and the Longhorns-He was pretty close to my age-maybe a couple of year older,

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Giles was a classy act for the Sharks and the Longhorns-He was pretty close to my age-maybe a couple of year older,

Trust me, Giles was younger than you Scoop. Maybe Walker was close to your age? Oscar graduated in 1987 from Palacios.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 11:30 PM
It's finally official
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bevo-beat/2014/jan/04/louisville-confirms-charlie-strong-leaving-texas-j/

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Another late post by me

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Another late post by me

Good scoop, Scoop.

Phil C
01-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Welcome to Austin Coach Strong! I know some were disappointed we didn't get Coach Harbaugh but we got a good one!

http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

Roughneck93
01-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Welcome to Austin Coach Strong! I know some were disappointed we didn't get Coach Harbaugh but we got a good one!

:spitlol:

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 12:57 AM
LSUfreek

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Another late post by me

haha scoop is by far my favorite poster on this board

regaleagle
01-05-2014, 05:40 AM
IMO, Strong is an excellent hire for UT, and will prove to be a coach that leads Texas to multiple national championships. He'll get the recruits, run a tight ship, have the respect of the players, and do UT proud. Move over Sumlin.....there's a new sheriff on the recruiting trail. Thank goodness UT is cleaning out its football mess in the coaching dept. Too much politics and poor decisions allowed. Well....that era is over so bring in the new.

Additup
01-05-2014, 07:34 AM
LSUfreek

Patterson can extend a laurel, and hearty handshake, but I'm just glad they couldn't reel in The Waco Kid.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 08:56 AM
I think this is a good hire from a football standpoint. It remains to be seen if it is a good fit politics wise.

However, ut needs to do some self-reflection in this and realize that their inflated opinion of themselves and the arrogance by many of their influential boosters is clouding their judgment and painting a negative picture around the country. First, they totally botched the Saban thing. There's choice #1. Depending on who you believe, they then focused on guys like harbaugh andtTomlin. Then it went to briles and then mora. Then things went to the strong franklins of the world.

So for all their power, money and prestige, ut ended up with their 5th or 6th choice depending on how you want to look at this. There is a perception, right or wrong, that there is major dysfunction and the boosters are a major pain in the ass.

bobcat1
01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
So Mac are you saying they settled for 5th or 6th choice?

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 09:30 AM
I think this is a good hire from a football standpoint. It remains to be seen if it is a good fit politics wise.

However, ut needs to do some self-reflection in this and realize that their inflated opinion of themselves and the arrogance by many of their influential boosters is clouding their judgment and painting a negative picture around the country. First, they totally botched the Saban thing. There's choice #1. Depending on who you believe, they then focused on guys like harbaugh andtTomlin. Then it went to briles and then mora. Then things went to the strong franklins of the world.

So for all their power, money and prestige, ut ended up with their 5th or 6th choice depending on how you want to look at this. There is a perception, right or wrong, that there is major dysfunction and the boosters are a major pain in the ass.

From what I gather the choices to begin with were from a group, you don't go down a check list of coaches in a process like this. That is bad business.

The group that Patterson centered around was Briles, Franklin, Mora Jr, and Strong. I listed those in alphabetical order not in AD preference. The committee/firm that was hired was to bypass job posting laws in Texas. Once the names Briles and Mora Jr were "no longer interested" that was a signal that a choice has been made and UT chose to move forward with Strong. They through in Franklin's name as a consolation prize in thanks for his participation in the process.

The names of Fisher, Gruden, Harbaughs, and Saban were names being thrown out by big money donors who think they are entrenched in the program because of access that was allowed by Deloss and Mack.

It appears that Patterson along with Strong plan to turn this into a football school again and weed out the politics by winning. The school will continue to generate ridiculous revenue and should only increase with winning.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
So Mac are you saying they settled for 5th or 6th choice?

I have no idea.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 09:47 AM
The names of Fisher, Gruden, Harbaughs, and Saban were names being thrown out by big money donors who think they are entrenched in the program because of access that was allowed by Deloss and Mack.

They THINK they are entrenched? Those people write the checks. They are as imbedded as a fat tick.

It appears that Patterson along with Strong plan to turn this into a football school again and weed out the politics by winning. The school will continue to generate ridiculous revenue and should only increase with winning.

But your post highlights exactly what I was pointing out. Who was really doing the coach search?

Again, I think the move was good from a football standpoint. And of course winning games will take care of the other but if a little adversity hits,.....

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 09:51 AM
They THINK they are entrenched? Those people write the checks. They are as imbedded as a fat tick.

But your post highlights exactly what I was pointing out. Who was really doing the coach search?

Again, I think the move was good from a football standpoint. And of course winning games will take care of the other but if a little adversity hits,.....

Their donations are at max only 25% of the money that Texas makes.

Obviously it was Patterson because as I stated in that post he narrowed down to the guys he wanted and went with the guy he felt would be the best football hire.

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Here is a video/article about the S&C coach he is bringing with him.

http://louisvillesportslive.net/inside-look-at-pat-moorer-the-pit/

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Their donations are at max only 25% of the money that Texas makes.

You and I understand that but try and tell Tom Hicks he doesn't have that much influence.

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
The school will continue to generate ridiculous revenue and should only increase with winning.

All the T-shirt fans are due for some new t-shirts. Should be a major money maker.

bobcat1
01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Here is a video/article about the S&C coach he is bringing with him.

http://louisvillesportslive.net/inside-look-at-pat-moorer-the-pit/
Now that I like. Dallas could use that guy.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24398521/strong-a-solid-choice-for-longhorns-but-texas-doesnt-do-solid

This puts it into pretty good perspective, Imo.

bwdlionfan
01-05-2014, 10:40 AM
All the T-shirt fans are due for some new t-shirts. Should be a major money maker.

And Johnny Football didn't make a ton of money off of T-shirt fans for A&M?

I am continually baffled how it is horrible that UT has fans who didn't go to the school, but it's okay for A&M and Tech to have fans who didn't attend the school.

Heck I see Alabama shirts all the time from people who've probably never even been inside the state of Alabama.

Emerson1
01-05-2014, 10:58 AM

I am continually baffled how it is horrible that UT has fans who didn't go to the school, but it's okay for A&M and Tech to have fans who didn't attend the school.

Heck I see Alabama shirts all the time from people who've probably never even been inside the state of Alabama.
Blasphemy! UT is the only school with t-shirt fans. Don't pay any attention to the huge increase in fan bases by other Texas schools the last two seasons...

Celina8
01-05-2014, 11:08 AM
I have no clue if Charlie Strong is the best hire for Texas, only time will tell. What I do know is that he will bring a new energy to Austin and this football team that has been lacking for some time. This will be an intense spring on the 40 acres and these coaches are going to want to find out who belongs on this team and who does not. There will be many comparisons to Sumlin's first year and 11-2 record and Strongs first year at Texas. I will say that Sherman left the A&M program in much better shape with the talent and developement of that talent than what Mack has left UT. Strong has talent to work with, but I don't think it is near the level what so many people think. Many of the 5 and 4 stars recruits that Texas signed ended up leaving the program and going elsewhere. I think Strong will do like many coaches who enter a new program and field a young team on both sides of the ball in hopes of building experience with both his system and college level play that pays off in year 3. I actually do not think Ash will be the starting QB for Texas next year as Strong will put in a young QB that he wants to grow into his system. Look for the QB from Denton Guyer if he sticks with his commit to take that role. Do not be surprise to see Swoops transfer out of Texas as I just do not think he will be Strongs QB choice. I cannot give you any reason for why I believe this other than the QB from Guyer just seems to have more speed and football instincts than Swoops. I also think the LB position at Texas will be a prime focus for changes under Strong. Speed and great tackling technique will have to be addressed and I think Strong will bring this to the offseason program. Any coach change brings excitment to any program and Texas is no different . It will be interesting to see what changes takes place for the Longhorns in 2014.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 11:26 AM
I dont think anyone questions that strong is a good football man.

However, when you had Saban and some of your idiot ego driven boosters f'd it up, this is a tough consolation.

Keep in mind, patterson was very successful at a lesser conference also. The move to the big 12 has not been kind to tcu. I think the question right now, is strong better than Stoops? Is he better than bbriles, Snyder, grundy or patterson? I don't think we know if hes BETTER than any of those guys.

Scoop27
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
From Saturday Night
By Kirk Bohls and Brian Davis - American-Statesman Staff

Charlie Strong informed Louisville officials late Saturday that he intends to leave the school and accept the head football coaching position at the University of Texas, a Louisville spokesman said.

Texas officials did not make any announcement Saturday because they were honoring Strong’s wishes to have a face-to-face meeting with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich, who was stuck in Colorado most of the day and couldn’t return to Kentucky because of inclement weather.
+ Texas awaits word from Strong on football coaching offer photo John Raoux
Louisville coach Charlie Strong holds the trophy after Louisville defeated Miami 36-9 in the Russell Athletic Bowl NCAA college football game ... read more

Jurich finally got home late Saturday and the two met, according to the Louisville spokesman.

A high-ranking UT source told the American-Statesman that Strong was first offered the job on Friday but didn’t immediately accept out of respect for Jurich, the man who gave Strong his first head coaching job after almost two decades as an assistant. Strong has compiled a 37-15 record in four seasons with the Cardinals.

The 53-year-old Arkansas native was offered a five-year contract at Texas worth approximately $5 million annually, the UT source said. Any contract would have to be approved by the UT System Board of Regents.

What kind of recruiter will Strong be at Texas? Look to Louisville’s classes

Strong can’t bring one particular Louisville assistant with him

Golden: Texas’ historic hire also comes with lofty expectations

Bohls: Strong wasn’t the first choice, but will he be the best one?

Texas officials have sent a plane to Louisville to pick up Strong and his wife, Victoria, and their two daughters. They are expected to arrive in Austin on Sunday and spend the day touring the campus and seeing the football facilities, according a source close to the situation. The school will have an introductory press conference on Monday.

In some respects, Strong’s hiring is a history-making event. He becomes the first black head coach of any men’s sport in University of Texas history. This is something some university officials have been privately hoping would happen.

The American-Statesmen reported in December that longtime UT benefactor Red McCombs, whose name is on the UT business school, would support school officials if they hired a minority head coach — assuming he was the right candidate for the job.

The Longhorns have had only one black coach lead one of their four major programs. Rod Page was the women’s basketball coach for two seasons in the mid-1970s before giving way to Jody Conradt.

Strong and Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin now give the state of Texas a powerhouse combo — two minority coaches sitting atop the biggest athletic programs at the state’s two flagship universities.

Had Strong fallen through, Texas athletic director Steve Patterson was prepared to go after Vanderbilt’s James Franklin, who also is black. Once reports surfaced Friday that UT had picked Strong, Franklin’s name was almost immediately attached to the vacant Penn State job or possible NFL openings.

Even though Strong kept Texas waiting on Saturday, school officials felt so comfortable about their pick, Patterson didn’t even bother to contact Franklin, a source said. The only major problem was Mother Nature.

Jurich, who was vacationing in Steamboat Springs, Colo., was stuck there most of the day Saturday because of inclement weather. Jurich was scheduled to fly home on a commercial plane, but once news broke, a private plane was sent to retrieve him.

Around midday, a Louisville source said a private plane was parked in Salina, Kan., while pilots waited for snowstorms to clear. Meanwhile back in Austin, everybody had to cool their jets.

Privately, UT officials must have had some feeling of concern. Strong accepted the Tennessee job in December 2012 and then backed out after talking with Jurich. He decided then to stay at Louisville. That won’t be the case this time.

“He wants to do this thing right,” a Texas source told the American-Statesman.

Given the frantic timeline, Strong probably won’t have time to tell his Louisville players he’s leaving himself. The Cardinals were not scheduled to be back on campus until 5 p.m. Sunday for a previously scheduled team meeting. Louisville will start school again Monday.

Strong had been scheduled to fly to Bristol, Conn., to participate in ESPN’s coverage of the BCS national championship game. It’s unclear whether that will still happen, although Texas officials would want Strong on TV to promote the Longhorns instead of the Cardinals.

The hurry-up-and-wait process started late Friday, with reports that Strong had been offered and had accepted the job. A high-ranking UT source told the American-Statesman that Strong had received an offer but that the deal hadn’t been finalized. Strong wanted to talk to Jurich, the source said.

The eight-person selection committee, which had been kept in the dark throughout this whole process, had a conference call Friday to discuss the situation, according to a high-ranking UT source.

Patterson conducted the entire search almost by himself, with some help vetting candidates from Jed Hughes, an executive from the search firm Korn/Ferry International.

On Saturday morning, Strong had a 15-minute meeting with his assistant coaches in the Louisville football offices. He told them nothing definitive, a source close to Strong said. The Louisville assistant coaches quickly left the football offices without saying anything to media waiting outside.

Several Louisville reporters issued tweets that Cardinals coaches were calling their recruits with updates on the situation. That is allowed under NCAA rules even though the NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period doesn’t end until Jan. 16. Phone calls are allowed but face-to-face contact is not.

That date was critical because it’s the deadline Patterson gave himself. He said the football program had to “be open for business” by then because coaches could be seeing recruits and filling out the 2014 recruiting class. National signing day is Feb. 5.

CHARLIE STRONG: FYI

At Louisville: Went 37-15 in four seasons, leading the Cardinals to four bowl games, including one BCS bowl, a 2012 Sugar Bowl win over Florida. Went 12-1 this season, and was one victory away from a second straight BCS bowl berth. His defensive coordinator, Vance Bedford, was a Longhorns defensive back from 1977 to 1981.

Before Louisville: Served as defensive coordinator for Florida and South Carolina. Was considered a candidate for Texas’ defensive coordinator’s position in 2011.

About Strong: He is a defensive-minded coach who turned around Louisville’s program quickly; the Cardinals had gone 1-6 in conference play the two years before his arrival. He was an all-conference safety as a player at Central Arkansas and served as a graduate assistant at Texas A&M in 1995.

At Texas: Strong inherits a team that went 8-5 and lost to Oregon in the Alamo Bowl. Texas played for the Big 12 championship and a Fiesta Bowl berth in the final week of the season, but lost at Baylor. The Longhorns return quarterback David Ash; running backs Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron; wide receiver Jaxon Shipley; and several defensive leaders, including linebackers Jordan Hicks, Steve Edmond and Dalton Santos, and cornerback Quandre Diggs. Defensive end Cedric Reed, a junior, is deliberating about whether to return for his senior year or declare himself eligible for the NFL draft. Strong will have to shore up Texas’ 22 high school commitments for next year’s recruiting class, establish relationships with the state’s high school coaches, make decisions about his Longhorns staff, sign a class of recruits on national signing day in February, and then get his team and program ready for spring football.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I think Strong a pretty solid hire football wise. I don't know much about his recruiting though. Any info? I know with the resources Texas has, he will recruit well regardless

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I dont think anyone questions that strong is a good football man.

However, when you had Saban and some of your idiot ego driven boosters f'd it up, this is a tough consolation.

Keep in mind, patterson was very successful at a lesser conference also. The move to the big 12 has not been kind to tcu. I think the question right now, is strong better than Stoops? Is he better than bbriles, Snyder, grundy or patterson? I don't think we know if hes BETTER than any of those guys.

I'm under the impression that Sexton used the ignorant Texas boosters/media to garner raises for his clients.

Fisher/Saban were never going to come to Texas.

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 11:42 AM
So are you saying the report from that website about that detailed time line where Saban basically said yes, is wrong?

Eagle11
01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
thats okay the average a&m fan can find the school on a map.

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 12:04 PM
So are you saying the report from that website about that detailed time line where Saban basically said yes, is wrong?

You mean the timeline that dated back a year before Deloss resigned and Mack resigned? Where Hicks went rogue? Before Patterson was hired?

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
I still think most of the name thrown out were BS..all were from "sources" nothing truly credible

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Maybe so. We may never know how any of that went down.

It may not have gone down as that time line said, but I have a real hard time imagining that there was absolutely nothing to it.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Maybe so. We may never know how any of that went down.

It may not have gone down as that time line said, but I have a real hard time imagining that there was absolutely nothing to it.

if it is true Mack is one that messed it all up

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
The pay sites are reporting that 2 Florida prospects have reached out to Texas because of the Charlie Strong hire.

Celina8
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
I think the running back at Fort Worth All Saints was committed to Louisville too. Be interesting to see if he changes his mind and ends up at Texas.

maestro
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Too many recruiting misses on Texas High School kids.

Recruiting Florida is ok but the life blood of the program is recruiting top tier Texas kids.

So the big question is, can the new staff reach out successfully to Texas families. Not enough to just say, we are Texas, kids should come to us. Beat the bushes, put in the time, get Texas kids playing for Texas again.

maestro
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe Scoop can be the recruiting coordinator???

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Scoop ain't gonna scoop and release the official university press release?

Or how Strong and family are expected to land around 2 pm?

NastySlot
01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
The pay sites are reporting that 2 Florida prospects have reached out to Texas because of the Charlie Strong hire.

and So it begins

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Recruiting Florida is ok but the life blood of the program is recruiting top tier Texas kids.

So the big question is, can the new staff reach out successfully to Texas families. Not enough to just say, we are Texas, kids should come to us. Beat the bushes, put in the time, get Texas kids playing for Texas again.
The dc he is bringing is from Texas and played at Texas in the 80s.

Hearing they are likely to keep Wyatt and Giles. So that will also help in the state.

If they land oc Tom Herman then that helps them too in the state. He's recruited Texas for a while.

NastySlot
01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
The dc he is bringing is from Texas and played at Texas in the 80s.

come on you don t know his name?

Old Tiger
01-05-2014, 02:34 PM
come on you don t know his name?

Vance Bedford. On my phone

NastySlot
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Vance Bedford. On my phone

your on the phone with him? Well tell him welcome back.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 02:42 PM

It never hurts to have inroads to two of the hotbeds of HS football

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM

What's really sad is that it is all the Miller lite drinkers buying those t-shirts.....

Lighten up, or should I say Lite'n up. Just trying to make some folks laugh.

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
I still think most of the name thrown out were BS..all were from "sources" nothing truly credible

I think it was wishful "window shopping" by disgruntled fans on forums.

Roughneck93
01-05-2014, 03:57 PM

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-01-05-14-47-36.png (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/trueblue74/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-01-05-14-47-36.png.html)

Macarthur
01-05-2014, 04:10 PM
What's really sad is that it is all the Miller lite drinkers buying those t-shirts.....

Lighten up, or should I say Lite'n up. Just trying to make some folks laugh.

I like miller lite. :)

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 04:19 PM
I like miller lite. :)

You need to come south on a hot day and have a Shiner Bock with me after shredding a pasture. Or 2.
:)

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 04:21 PM

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-01-05-14-47-36.png (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/trueblue74/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-01-05-14-47-36.png.html)

I like that shirt. Should sell a million.

I was just looking at a recap of all the bowl games and only Middle Tennesee State scored less points than UT. 6 vs UT's 7. Rice scored only 7 points also.

YTBulldogs
01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I like that shirt. Should sell a million.

I was just looking at a recap of all the bowl games and only Middle Tennesee State scored less points than UT. 6 vs UT's 7. Rice scored only 7 points also.

Those teams didn't face Duke though. :p

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Those teams didn't face Duke though. :p

Lucky for them, but OTOH, good one YT!

1st and goal
01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Besides, I've already added Duke to the list of teams that could beat UT.

You need to dabble check...:taunt::1popcorn:

Scoop27
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Charlie Strong has arrived in Austin. Texas will introduce him at a press conference tomorrow morning at 11:00am.
Can't wait to hear what he has to say

YTBulldogs
01-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Charlie Strong has arrived in Austin. Texas will introduce him at a press conference tomorrow morning at 11:00am.
Can't wait to hear what he has to say

Hope he don't stay long in town? Need some recruits he targeted for LV, and those undecided around state.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Hope he don't stay long in town? Need some recruits he targeted for LV, and those undecided around state.

dead period until Jan 16th

YTBulldogs
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM

legally

Scoop27
01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Believe Strong's hiring will help the Horns in signing new recruits in and out of the state

YTBulldogs
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Believe Strong's hiring will help the Horns in signing new recruits in and out of the state

Maybe not with this years crop?

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Haha you wouldn't want to urban dictionary 'stronghorn'....

Macarthur
01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Lol.

Roughneck93
01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Haha you wouldn't want to urban dictionary 'stronghorn'....

Lol, yeah I did last night...:ack!:

SHSBulldog00
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Ville DC Vance Bedford will join Strong in Austin as DC if he doesn't get the Louisville HC position.

Ville LB coach Brian Jean-Mary, strength coach Pat Moorer, operations director Cliff Snow are also expected to be on Strong's staff at Texas.

So far I know Oscar Giles will stay on from current staff.

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Lol, yeah I did last night...:ack!:

I thought for sure that was something some Aggie had put up recently but apparently the date was December 2010.. So it's not a lame Aggie that did it recently. Makes it pretty dang funny if you ask me. I can't wait til I see somebody wearing their 'stronghorn' shirt.... LOL

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 05:52 PM
I plan on buying one of those shirts Saggy

SHSBulldog00
01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Reports of Louisville DB commit to re open recruiting process.

Nilijah Ballew; S; Walnut Hills; 6-2; 190 (says he is staying)

Keep an eye on these 3 on NSD

I believe the above is about

Michael Johnson; S; Hialeah, FL; 6-2 190

Poona Ford; DT; Hilton Head, SC; 6-0 285

Rashawn Shaw; OLB; Fort Pierce, FL; 6-2 225

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I plan on buying one of those shirts Saggy

I wouldn't expect anything less Scoop.

Macarthur
01-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Reports of Louisville DB commit to re open recruiting process.

Nilijah Ballew; S; Walnut Hills; 6-2; 190 (says he is staying)

Keep an eye on these 3 on NSD

I believe the above is about

Michael Johnson; S; Hialeah, FL; 6-2 190

Poona Ford; DT; Hilton Head, SC; 6-0 285

Rashawn Shaw; OLB; Fort Pierce, FL; 6-2 225

Balleuh is the only one that looks as though he's an impact player.

You didn't bring in Charlie strong for him to bring his recruits from Louisville, did you?

Since when is ut happy about stealing a couple of kids from Louisville? Q

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Balleuh is the only one that looks as though he's an impact player.

You didn't bring in Charlie strong for him to bring his recruits from Louisville, did you?

Since when is ut happy about stealing a couple of kids from Louisville? Q

That's stronghorns for ya

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
http://247sports.com/Article/Charlie-Strong-will-change-recruiting-at-Texas-169844

NastySlot
01-06-2014, 11:08 PM
http://247sports.com/Article/Charlie-Strong-will-change-recruiting-at-Texas-169844

wait a second Texas has had a problem with recruiting? For years someone on this board would always post Horn Targets, Maybes and Commits and most would howl about the great classes year after year the horns were getting. What happen?

but then again listening to some on the board anyone with pulse would probably change recruiting at Texas.

Macarthur
01-06-2014, 11:20 PM
http://collegespun.com/big-12/texas-big-12/texas-benefactor-red-mccombs-not-happy-with-strong-hire-would-be-a-good-position-coach#
Red ain't happy.

NastySlot
01-06-2014, 11:26 PM

It is the dead period but I thought only meant no face to face contact (in person). Calls and Letters (assuming text also) ok

Emerson1
01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
http://collegespun.com/big-12/texas-big-12/texas-benefactor-red-mccombs-not-happy-with-strong-hire-would-be-a-good-position-coach#
Red ain't happy.

Ya. I bet a lot of old people aren't happy with Strong...

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Ya. I bet a lot of old people aren't happy with Strong...

Red is just mad he was not allowed to help..some of his comments showed his stupidity

Phil C
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
There goes money.

YTBulldogs
01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
There goes money.

Maybe his, plenty remains. What a "Richard".

Manso/V8
01-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Not impressed with his public speaking skills.

Old Tiger
01-07-2014, 02:04 AM

Don't care about that, just win games/championships.

Old Tiger
01-07-2014, 03:30 AM
I liked his list of goals:

1. graduate
2. win championships
3. become better men - comes with having right attitude

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Red ain't happy.

I thought he made stupid comments before the announcement. I told my husband he should be called Redneck McCombs.

Tejastrue
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM

He was on the biggest stage of his career. There had to be some anxiety going on inside. I thought he did a reputable job.

Manso/V8
01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
I liked his list of goals:

1. graduate
2. win championships
3. become better men - comes with having right attitude

I like them too, but they are not unique.
Those are the same goals that the vast majority of college (all levels) coaches state.

Manso/V8
01-07-2014, 11:06 AM
He was on the biggest stage of his career. There had to be some anxiety going on inside. I thought he did a reputable job.

Agreed, he did a decent job, but I wasn't impressed and I take it from your response, you weren't impressed either.
Don't get me wrong, I like the hire, I was just surprised that he didn't seem to be completely confident.
He is going to have a lot more of those big stages from here on, I am sure he will get better at it.
If he wins games and championships it won't matter either way.

Macarthur
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
As we all know it's going to come down to winning. If he wins, his lack of Polish will be fun and unique like the Ron Washingtons and Ozzie guillens of the world.

If he doesn't win, it could lead to a shorter leash than other guys that know how to schmooze.

Old Tiger
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
hearing some rumblings regarding tony brown, he likes what he has heard from Strong.

Phil C
01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I hope he becomes the first black head coach to win a Div. 1 College football national championship.

OldBison75
01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I think the most telling thing I got from the press conference was that Coach Strong made no crazy promises like winning the conference or National Championships. His only promise was that they would play hard and work hard. I believe that he will have some success fairly quickly because of the type coach he is and the type staff he will bring in. He has the athletes in the program now to be competitive and the new attitude will make a big difference in the play on the field. Like I said before, open competition for every position will make the team better. There have been a lot of good football players come to Texas over the years that did not ever shine because the coaching staff did not seem to adjust to the skills they could bring to the program. I also think that Coach Strong will return the defense to respectable status and we all know that that has been a weakness over the past couple of years.

SHSBulldog00
01-07-2014, 12:11 PM
I also liked the fact that every senior on this year's Louisville team graduated. That is a great accomplishment and I can't wait for the Longhorns to do the same. The MAIN reason you go to college is to get an education.

Macarthur
01-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I also liked the fact that every senior on this year's Louisville team graduated. That is a great accomplishment and I can't wait for the Longhorns to do the same. The MAIN reason you go to college is to get an education.

As long as that is accompanied with winning big.

The big check writers will not care for the 'well, we graduate kids' argument if ut has a couple of 3 or 4 loss seasons next year and in 15.

SHSBulldog00
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM

The big check writers will not care for the 'well, we graduate kids' argument if ut has a couple of 3 or 4 loss seasons next year and in 15.

Agreed he will have to win at least 9-10 games in his first season. Then more after that.

Manso/V8
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM

It is a great thing to have a high graduation rate.
Players that put the effort in to do well in the classroom, put the effort in to learning the system and technique to do well on the field.

Sure the main reason most people go to college is to get an education, but for many the chance to play football at a place like UT overshadows the education part.....and I think the benefits and work ethic instilled by being part of a football program, especially a D-1 program like UT, is HUGE benefit to players. Look at the degrees a lot of the players get, not the most challenging, because the amount of time required to be a D-1 football player makes it very tough to be in a more challenging degree program.

Most former college football players make great employees because they know how to set goals, work hard, and accomplish.

Manso/V8
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I hope he becomes the first black head coach to win a Div. 1 College football national championship.

I think his skin color is irrelevant.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2014, 07:15 PM

They've got those losses now, but aren't graduating them. 2004-2007 they graduated 71%, went 44-7 & won MNC. Last year? 58% (according to what I found from March)

Macarthur
01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
They've got those losses now, but aren't graduating them. 2004-2007 they graduated 71%, went 44-7 & won MNC. Last year? 58% (according to what I found from March)

I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive. I'm just saying the winning is the most important. Graduation rates will mean zero if he loses 4games.

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Uh oh.

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/the-dotted-line/2014/jan/08/third-defensive-tackle-decommits-texas/

Rabid Cougar
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

It will happen at Stanford before Texas.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Uh oh.

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/the-dotted-line/2014/jan/08/third-defensive-tackle-decommits-texas/

That happens every time a staff leaves..not much uh-oh to be expected

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

There's some of that but If alaka (sp) decommits, that's four defensive guys in a week. Ut did not sign a DT in last years class. This is not a minor thing.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
You'll land some soon. Especially those that wanna be part of a team that really stresses "D" now more than most teams. And, a HC who is a defense genius, don't hurt.

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
You'll land some soon. Especially those that wanna be part of a team that really stresses "D" now more than most teams. And, a HC who is a defense genius, don't hurt.

That's what makes this all the more weird, IMO. Three and possibly a fourth defensive commit less than a week after the hiring of what appears to be a top defensive coach....

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
That's what makes this all the more weird, IMO. Three and possibly a fourth defensive commit less than a week after the hiring of what appears to be a top defensive coach....

because they were in love with the position coach

1st and goal
01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Uh oh.

They all could be happiest at A&M. That is all.

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Lol. That didn't take long.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/texas/post?id=20939

Old Tiger
01-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I am HIGHLY concerned if he brings Watson with him. I'd rather have Major than Watson.

NastySlot
01-08-2014, 07:12 PM

sure it happens but remember it's not supposed to happen at Texas because remember "They Are Texas" in world according to OT and the shag.

;)

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
I am HIGHLY concerned if he brings Watson with him. I'd rather have Major than Watson.

not sure why all the hate for him

Old Tiger
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
not sure why all the hate for him

What has he done as an offensive coordinator in his history?

Old Tiger
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Since 2004 his average offensive rank is 47.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 07:28 PM

developed Teddy into a darn qood QB...they were top 15 passing last year

Old Tiger
01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
developed Teddy into a darn qood QB...they were top 15 passing last year

86th in rushing too.

2012, the year they went to the BCS, with Teddy they were 47th in total offense.

What has he done outside of Teddy?

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Uh oh

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
sure it happens but remember it's not supposed to happen at Texas because remember "They Are Texas" in world according to OT and the shag.

;)

All fanbases have that subset..who cares

and I love Mac treating everything with uh-oh like sky is falling with any news LOL

NastySlot
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
All fanbases have that subset..who cares

and I love Mac treating everything with uh-oh like sky is falling with any news LOL

Subset?

I think his uh-oh might be due to a Yessir tweet....not too sure only guessing

Macarthur
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes. Henderson flipped to A&M.

Look, I dislike many things about the ut fan base. That's why I sometimes poke a stick. The football world around here is better when ut is good. I hope strong has success. I really do.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Yes. Henderson flipped to A&M.

Look, I dislike many things about the ut fan base. That's why I sometimes poke a stick. The football world around here is better when ut is good. I hope strong has success. I really do.

alot about A&M FANbase I hate..I just choose to keep discussion on field and not poke just to poke..I leave that for the likes of OT and Saggy who seem to enjoy doing that for some reason

Old Tiger
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
2015 is the class that concerns me most with strong, I want him to build that class. We can't expect a miracle on this 2014 class.

Old Tiger
01-09-2014, 01:46 AM
Also Courtney Garnett, wasn't going to get in.

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2014, 03:18 AM
What has Major done?

Old Tiger
01-09-2014, 03:58 AM
What has Major done?

I don't want Major either.

Emerson1
01-09-2014, 09:34 AM
alot about A&M FANbase I hate..I just choose to keep discussion on field and not poke just to poke..I leave that for the likes of OT and Saggy who seem to enjoy doing that for some reason
Grumpy old man.

Macarthur
01-09-2014, 09:52 AM

The diff though is that I'm just having fun. Not mean spirited like some others.

Saggy Aggie
01-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Haha c'mon you're telling me you don't enjoy watching people get their panties in a wad?

YTBulldogs
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
2015 is the class that concerns me most with strong, I want him to build that class. We can't expect a miracle on this 2014 class.

:ditto: I still expect a record just as good as this years bunch though.

1st and goal
01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
:ditto: I still expect a record just as good as this years bunch though.

Tough crowd.

Poke. :)

YTBulldogs
01-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Tough crowd.

Poke. :)

If they can win this season without a QB, figure they can do just as well with one in there.

Cam
01-11-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm hearing Bob Shipley will be retained....good for him!.....

hookandladder
01-11-2014, 09:18 PM
With the three seniors deciding to return next season and if Ash can come back and manage the offense, Texas will be a lot better then last season. Strong will still have to do better then what Sumlin has done at ATM, 4 losses a year will not cut it at Texas. It might be good enough at ATM but not at Texas, much higher goals are expected. I see a lot of new energy with Strong, that along will translate into a much more focused team. Texas will be a team in the hunt next season, look what Coach Mack did his first year at Texas. ATM still SUCKS, Johnny now gone and it will be back to the normal years.

Saggy Aggie
01-12-2014, 03:33 AM
With the three seniors deciding to return next season and if Ash can come back and manage the offense, Texas will be a lot better then last season. Strong will still have to do better then what Sumlin has done at ATM, 4 losses a year will not cut it at Texas. It might be good enough at ATM but not at Texas, much higher goals are expected. I see a lot of new energy with Strong, that along will translate into a much more focused team. Texas will be a team in the hunt next season, look what Coach Mack did his first year at Texas. ATM still SUCKS, Johnny now gone and it will be back to the normal years.

Apparently you can't do math... Try again. 6 losses in 2 years.... Not 4 losses/yr.

Also, all 6 of those ranked teams? 5 in the top 15 maybe? Couple in the top 5 maybe? All close losses cept LSU this year... Not too bad for his first years in CS. I'll bend over and kiss my own ass if Strong even gets close to that with the crappile he's inherited.

Also, A&M bringing in the number 2 recruiting class in the nation. We'll be okay..

Old Tiger
01-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Apparently you can't do math... Try again. 6 losses in 2 years.... Not 4 losses/yr.

Also, all 6 of those ranked teams? 5 in the top 15 maybe? Couple in the top 5 maybe? All close losses cept LSU this year... Not too bad for his first years in CS. I'll bend over and kiss my own ass if Strong even gets close to that with the crappile he's inherited.

Also, A&M bringing in the number 2 recruiting class in the nation. We'll be okay..
go to bed you're drunk.

hookandladder
01-12-2014, 10:49 AM

I stand corrected 6 losses in two years , who gives a crap what ranked team you lost to. You have to win games against the best to win Championships , nobody is going to give you championships for competing well against ranked teams. You aggies need to figuire that out but as long as you are just happy being in the sec and competing , then you should be OK. You had the best player in the country for two years and your best finish was what 4th or 5th in your conference, no BSC or even close to a NC. Hey but you are playing in the so called best conference in the nation, so I guess that's good enough. You just might need to pucker up pretty damn quick, time will tell.

Macarthur
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I love the smack talk.

Saggy Aggie
01-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I stand corrected 6 losses in two years , who gives a crap what ranked team you lost to. You have to win games against the best to win Championships , nobody is going to give you championships for competing well against ranked teams. You aggies need to figuire that out but as long as you are just happy being in the sec and competing , then you should be OK. You had the best player in the country for two years and your best finish was what 4th or 5th in your conference, no BSC or even close to a NC. Hey but you are playing in the so called best conference in the nation, so I guess that's good enough. You just might need to pucker up pretty damn quick, time will tell.

Who said we're happy overall? I think we're happy with the result RELATIVE TO PREVIOUS YEARS and considering the expectations coming in... I think Johnny is the type of player that elevates a program. The recruiting classes are getting much better and the quality of football being played by A&M is increasing. I think expectations are continually rising and these past 2 years have shown that A&M can compete at the highest level.

You can trash talk A&M all you want but the reality of the situation is, A&M is on the rise. Our results and recruiting classes prove it. Meanwhile, Texas' program is in the trash compared to just a few years ago.

Like I said, A&M will be okay..

Dogman_1969
01-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Strong is a defensive minded coach so I expect him to be able to get the defense up to his style pretty quickly. The offense is where most of the issues were this year and I expect us to have to do some different things next season to move the ball on offense. I would not bet a plug nickle that David Ash will play more than 3 games. Not nothing against the young man, just some folks are more likely to be injured and he seems to be. Rumors are that there will be a QB transfer in that has graduated already so he doesn't have to sit out a year and can play day 1.

As far as the Aggies go, no defense = no championships. The last couple of years JFF has been able to outscore some teams but that just left the building. I do think the Aggies are in much better situation than Texas is at QB but that might not be enough to keep from loosing the 3-4 games that JFF was able to pull out. Sumlin needs to be able to develop the defensive recruits and do so in a hurry or he will find himself as he has in some of his last stops.

One of the best coaches I have even known told me one time that a bad defense that is you is not gonna be better the next season because they are a year older. Same prep and coaching = same results. I expect a long year and a middle of the conference finish again for the Aggies.

Macarthur
01-12-2014, 09:14 PM
One of the best coaches I have even known told me one time that a bad defense that is you is not gonna be better the next season because they are a year older. Same prep and coaching = same results. I expect a long year and a middle of the conference finish again for the Aggies.

Huh?

hookandladder
01-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Who said we're happy overall? I think we're happy with the result RELATIVE TO PREVIOUS YEARS and considering the expectations coming in... I think Johnny is the type of player that elevates a program. The recruiting classes are getting much better and the quality of football being played by A&M is increasing. I think expectations are continually rising and these past 2 years have shown that A&M can compete at the highest level.

You can trash talk A&M all you want but the reality of the situation is, A&M is on the rise. Our results and recruiting classes prove it. Meanwhile, Texas' program is in the trash compared to just a few years ago.

Like I said, A&M will be okay..

So you think ATM is on the rise, so tell us did ATM perform better this year or last. Next year Sumlin gets to play with his recruits, I am betting there is no Johnny Football in his recruits. You better hope he finds a way to put a defense on the field or it will be a long year without Manziel to bail him out. The 4 losses this year would have been more like 6 without Manziel, players like him come around once every 10 years maybe and chances of another one at ATM are slim.

Old Tiger
01-12-2014, 11:55 PM
So here is his staff so far...

HC - Charlie Strong
DC - Vance Bedford - Louisville
QB - Shawn Watson - Louisville (Could also be named OC)
RB - Tommie Robinson - USC
TE - Bruce Chambers - Texas, only hold over from previous staff.
WR - Hearing whoever they hire for this position will be WR/OC if Shawn Watson isn't named OC. (Possiblities include Darrell Wyatt - Texas, Joker Phillips - Florida, and Lincoln Riley - East Carolina, Mike Groh - Chicago Bears)
OL - Joe Wickline - Oklahoma St
DL - Chris Rumph - Alabama
LB - Brian Jean-Mary - Louisville
DB/ST - Chris Vaughn - Memphis

S&C - Pat Moorer - Louisville

Old Tiger
01-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Interesting comments coming out from the team meeting held today...

As far as the tone of the meeting, one source I spoke to said it a stark contrast to the meetings conducted by Mack Brown.

“Very different,” the source said. “You can tell that staff is all about hard work and winning ball games.”

“There's a zero tolerance policy for anything that doesn't help us win,” the source said. “They're all business.”

coach
01-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Anybody see the new shirts that some longhorn guy made? It has a picture of Strong on the fron and it says. " Black is the ne Brown"

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
So you think ATM is on the rise, so tell us did ATM perform better this year or last. Next year Sumlin gets to play with his recruits, I am betting there is no Johnny Football in his recruits. You better hope he finds a way to put a defense on the field or it will be a long year without Manziel to bail him out. The 4 losses this year would have been more like 6 without Manziel, players like him come around once every 10 years maybe and chances of another one at ATM are slim.
A&M performed better in 2012 than in 2013. They also graduated their entire defense after 2012... So your point?

Yes Johnny will be gone, but we've got a decent qb recruit coming in...

The defense will improve. The recruiting classes are outstanding. Oh, and A&M can run the ball pretty effectively too...

Emerson1
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
A&M performed better in 2012 than in 2013. They also graduated their entire defense after 2012... So your point?

The defense will improve. The recruiting classes are outstanding. Oh, and A&M can run the ball pretty effectively too...
Texas has outstanding recruiting classes too.............................................

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Texas has outstanding recruiting classes too.............................................

#2 vs #13?

caleb_mccaig
01-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Decent QB recruit? Try the no.1 QB in the country lol. A&M may not be as good next year as the past two years but they're a growing program and I expect them to compete with the best of the SEC for years to come.

Macarthur
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Decent QB recruit? Try the no.1 QB in the country lol. A&M may not be as good next year as the past two years but they're a growing program and I expect them to compete with the best of the SEC for years to come.

The problem a&m had this year was that Sherman could not recruit defense to save his life. And thye had a ton of attrition on the defensive side of the ball. They had a decent group of seniors in 12 so they were somewhat respectable. They have youth now , especially in the front 7. You can't compete with these sec teams when your front 7 consists of 18 & 19 year olds. Those kids will get better when they have had time in a college S&C program. Add that with the higher level of incoming recruits and their defense should be better next year and has a chance to be very good in 15.

hookandladder
01-13-2014, 03:03 PM

You see there is my problem with ATM fans, (I expect them to compete with the best of the SEC for years to come). That is the difference at Texas , Texas may be down some right now however Texas goal is not to compete with everyone else it is to beat everyone else. Like I have said before, if that is ATM's goal each year you should be able to do that year in and year out. The bottom half of the SEC are not good college teams , that should give ATM 3 or 4 sure wins a year. All conference have weak teams and SEC is no different , bottom line ATM had a solid year in 2012 and went backwards somewhat in 2013. Also agree when playing true freshman if they were not successful their freshman year , what will make them that much better the next. There are plenty teams that play true freshman , the difference is they were impact players as a freshman so one can assume they will be better the next. Sumlin's time is now, he did not put a defense on the field at UH which he and all his fans can say it was because of not being able to recruit top talent. That excuse will not work anymore, it's time to put up or shut up.

caleb_mccaig
01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
You see there is my problem with ATM fans, (I expect them to compete with the best of the SEC for years to come). That is the difference at Texas , Texas may be down some right now however Texas goal is not to compete with everyone else it is to beat everyone else. Like I have said before, if that is ATM's goal each year you should be able to do that year in and year out. The bottom half of the SEC are not good college teams , that should give ATM 3 or 4 sure wins a year. All conference have weak teams and SEC is no different , bottom line ATM had a solid year in 2012 and went backwards somewhat in 2013. Also agree when playing true freshman if they were not successful their freshman year , what will make them that much better the next. There are plenty teams that play true freshman , the difference is they were impact players as a freshman so one can assume they will be better the next. Sumlin's time is now, he did not put a defense on the field at UH which he and all his fans can say it was because of not being able to recruit top talent. That excuse will not work anymore, it's time to put up or shut up.

Whoah, whoah, whoah that's an insult!!! I'm not an A&M fan! :1omg!:

The only problem with saying the SEC has some bottom feeders is that they rotate which is weird. Remember when Kentucky was in top 5 with Andre Woodson or last year when Auburn didn't win a game or the last decade when Vandy sucked? You can never predict which SEC teams are going to be near the bottom like you can the other conferences.

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Yeah that was sarcasm. My response to Hookanddumbers thought that A&M is toast since Johnny is leaving...

YTBulldogs
01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah that was sarcasm. My response to Hookanddumbers thought that A&M is toast since Johnny is leaving...

I think Hook was implying in his post, a&m better get a defense, cause JM can no longer bail them out, and outscore the opponent. I didn't see him stating they were toast either. Just not a NC type caliber team as you envision Sag's, without a "D".

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
I think Hook was implying in his post, a&m better get a defense, cause JM can no longer bail them out, and outscore the opponent. I didn't see him stating they were toast either. Just not a NC type caliber team as you envision Sag's, without a "D".

The D will be there. Apparently you guys are completely oblivious to the fact that A&M started more than half a defense worth of true freshman. I keep seeing posts that they won't improve? Based on what? What freshman have you ever seen that had the ability to start as a freshman and DIDNT improve?

Let em get a little bigger and stronger, and offseason to get coached up and add in that more impact players are headed to college station. I can't see his the D won't improve. I expect them to be light years better.

Yes, they won't be amazing, and A&M loses Johnny next year. It'll likely be a tougher year. But those freshmens junior year (2015) and 2nd year for whichever qb starts next year should be a great year.

Hell, sumlin might just surprise us next year like he did in 2012. None of you longhorn rocket scientists thought A&M would be any good then either. Look how that worked out. Like I said, A&M will be okay...

caleb_mccaig
01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
The D will be there. Apparently you guys are completely oblivious to the fact that A&M started more than half a defense worth of true freshman. I keep seeing posts that they won't improve? Based on what? What freshman have you ever seen that had the ability to start as a freshman and DIDNT improve?

Let em get a little bigger and stronger, and offseason to get coached up and add in that more impact players are headed to college station. I can't see his the D won't improve. I expect them to be light years better.

Yes, they won't be amazing, and A&M loses Johnny next year. It'll likely be a tougher year. But those freshmens junior year (2015) and 2nd year for whichever qb starts next year should be a great year.

Hell, sumlin might just surprise us next year like he did in 2012. None of you longhorn rocket scientists thought A&M would be any good then either. Look how that worked out. Like I said, A&M will be okay...

From a completely unbiased A&M hater.....once Sumlin gets kids that are all his in there, A&M will be fine on both sides of the ball.

hookandladder
01-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Keep on dreaming , Dipwad.

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Keep on dreaming , Dipwad.

Lol... Try not to get owned by BYU and iowa st this year

Emerson1
01-13-2014, 05:38 PM
#2 vs #13?

[QUOTE=Saggy Aggie;1799779]The D will be there. Apparently you guys are completely oblivious to the fact that A&M started more than half a defense worth of true freshman. I keep seeing posts that they won't improve? Based on what? What freshman have you ever seen that had the ability to start as a freshman and DIDNT improve?
[QUOTE]

CoughTexasCough

Some of you A&M fans need to round up the ones who got tired of JFF and wanted him to leave. The days of barely finishing in the top 25 and throwing a parade on Northgate have come to an end.

hookandladder
01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Lol... Try not to get owned by BYU and iowa st this year

Big words coming after beating a basketball school in your bowl, great comeback win. That some funny **** right there, I am sure Duke is a really solid team now that it almost took your team down and yes that is the same team FSU donkey stomped. Keep dreaming.

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Big words coming after beating a basketball school in your bowl, great comeback win. That some funny **** right there, I am sure Duke is a really solid team now that it almost took your team down and yes that is the same team FSU donkey stomped. Keep dreaming.

You do realize what happened to Texas in the Alamo bowl, right?

Also, Oregon wasn't good this year...hence why they were in the Alamo bowl. LOL

Old Tiger
01-13-2014, 07:35 PM

They got shafted on a BCS bowl honestly.

coach
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
They got shafted on a bcs bowl? Hahahaha that's funny right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Old Tiger
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
They got shafted on a bcs bowl? Hahahaha that's funny right there.

Before the bowl games who would you select Oregon or Oklahoma?

coach
01-13-2014, 08:05 PM
My bad I thought you were saying Texas got shafted

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 01:24 AM

Are you really any good?

2012 - 5/6 finish in conference
2013 - 7th place finish

hookandladder
01-14-2014, 07:21 AM

Saggy, you just keep on dreaming. Hell you think nobody is any good unless you are a sec memeber, ATM is in the sec and they still SUCK. Same as in the Big 12.

1st and goal
01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Saggy, you just keep on dreaming. Hell you think nobody is any good unless you are a sec memeber, ATM is in the sec and they still SUCK. Same as in the Big 12.

Dang, Hook and OT get a new head coach and start posting all feisty and such.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Lol way to avoid the question. I would've too if my school would have had the year Texas did.. LOL

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
A&M could've had strong a couple years ago. Didn't want him lol

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Are you really any good?

2012 - 5/6 finish in conference
2013 - 7th place finish

Where did A&M finish in the final rankings in 2012? 3? 4?

And what? 17 in 2013? Not too bad. It'll get better though. Remember, we were supposed to get completely owned in the SEC

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Dang, Hook and OT get a new head coach and start posting all feisty and such.

I tell you what I only went to 1 game(ole miss) because of Mack brown.

I am excited about the change though!

Macarthur
01-14-2014, 11:46 AM
The way I see it right now, strong enters the league as probably the 4th or 5th best coach in the league.

I think stoops is better. I think gundy is better. I think briles is better. I think Snyder is better. One could argue Patterson is better because his record in a similar conf situation as Louisville was much better record than strong had and Patterson didn't have the advantage of a heisman caliber QB.

I don't think you can make a case for him being any higher than 4th. Maybe not that high.

Now, due to the level of recruits he will get, he probably doesn't need to be the best coach to win the conference. Just be good and ut will compete for the league championship each year.

I read several competing teams websites and I can tell you that the hiring of strong did not scare the pants off the rest of the league like someone like briles or Saban would have.

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
The way I see it right now, strong enters the league as probably the 4th or 5th best coach in the league.

I think stoops is better. I think gundy is better. I think briles is better. I think Snyder is better. One could argue Patterson is better because his record in a similar conf situation as Louisville was much better record than strong had and Patterson didn't have the advantage of a heisman caliber QB.

I don't think you can make a case for him being any higher than 4th. Maybe not that high.

Now, due to the level of recruits he will get, he probably doesn't need to be the best coach to win the conference. Just be good and ut will compete for the league championship each year.

I read several competing teams websites and I can tell you that the hiring of strong did not scare the pants off the rest of the league like someone like briles or Saban would have.
I think you are drawing an unfair comparison in this situation. Too early to even rank him. In a few years lets make this list.

Now top sec coaches not going to do a full list.

1 Saban
2 miles
3 spurrier
4 richt
5 pinkel
6 malzahn
7 sumlin

Red&White_9x5
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I think you are drawing an unfair comparison in this situation. Too early to even rank him. In a few years lets make this list.

Now top sec coaches not going to do a full list.

1 Saban
2 miles
3 spurrier
4 richt
5 pinkel
6 malzahn
7 sumlin

Here would be my top 5 coaches in both the SEC and the Big 12:

SEC:
1. Saban
2. Pinkel
3. Malzahn
4. Spurrier
5. Miles

Big 12:
1. Briles
2. Gundy
3. Stoops
4. Strong
5. Snyder

Macarthur
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Strong is not a better coach than bill Snyder.

In fact, you make a case that bill Snyder is top 5 in all the country with what he has repeatedly done at ksu.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Not sure why so many people are underrating what Strong did at Ville..took a program that had fallen way down and made them a mid-major national power

Macarthur
01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Not sure why so many people are underrating what Strong did at Ville..took a program that had fallen way down and made them a mid-major national power

Not sure if some are over rating or some are under.

Let me ask this, was his last two years at Louisville with Bridgewater more impressive than what patterson did the last decade at tcu prior to joining the big 12?

I don't think so.

Cam
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Is there a list of his final staff hires??....I've been out of the loop on this one...

caleb_mccaig
01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Here would be my top 5 coaches in both the SEC and the Big 12:

SEC:
1. Saban
2. Pinkel
3. Malzahn
4. Spurrier
5. Miles

Big 12:
1. Briles
2. Gundy
3. Stoops
4. Strong
5. Snyder

Come on......Miles and Malzahn are both tied for second, being as they're the only SEC coaches on that list that have beat Saban since he's won a National Championship with Alabama.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Not sure if some are over rating or some are under.

Let me ask this, was his last two years at Louisville with Bridgewater more impressive than what patterson did the last decade at tcu prior to joining the big 12?

I don't think so.

TCU had not fallen when Patterson took over..he is a great coach, but he had something already built for him and he continued...Strong had to rebuild

GrTigers6
01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Come on......Miles and Malzahn are both tied for second, being as they're the only SEC coaches on that list that have beat Saban since he's won a National Championship with Alabama.

Uh Didn't Sumlin Beat Saban?

caleb_mccaig
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Uh Didn't Sumlin Beat Saban?

yeah, but he hasn't even been close to a National Championship. But, yes I should have added that.

Macarthur
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
TCU had not fallen when Patterson took over..he is a great coach, but he had something already built for him and he continued...Strong had to rebuild

That's an interesting question. How much did Fran build tcu? It's been interesting to see how successful Fran has been without Patterson.

hookandladder
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Lol way to avoid the question. I would've too if my school would have had the year Texas did.. LOL

Not sure what your question that I am avoiding however if it was about Texas bowl game, I would say Texas played well on defense. No surprise the offense sucked, McCoy has to be one of the worst D-1 QB's in the country. The few games he did play well , Texas won. Just how many more wins this year did ATM have then Texas and that was with the best player in the country, it is soomewhat sad that Manziel had to play on a team that had one of the worst defenses in the country. Put Manziel on Alabama, LSU and even Auburn and he would have had at least 1 possible two NC. So that brings us back to the point, ATM still Sucks.

Emerson1
01-14-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/1/14/5308182/culture-change-at-texas

Texas is winning the NC in 2014.

hookandladder
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Man I like what I am seeing from Coach Strong, this is old school put up or shut up. Love the no cell phones and definitely love the no ear rings, you come play or just to look good. This list looks very close to the list the new Blinn football gave out last night, get your act together or go home. Love it.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Not sure what your question that I am avoiding however if it was about Texas bowl game, I would say Texas played well on defense. No surprise the offense sucked, McCoy has to be one of the worst D-1 QB's in the country. The few games he did play well , Texas won. Just how many more wins this year did ATM have then Texas and that was with the best player in the country, it is soomewhat sad that Manziel had to play on a team that had one of the worst defenses in the country. Put Manziel on Alabama, LSU and even Auburn and he would have had at least 1 possible two NC. So that brings us back to the point, ATM still Sucks.

Texas offense = a&m's defense. Your point?

hookandladder
01-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Texas offense = a&m's defense. Your point?

ATM still Sucks , my point.

Trashman
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I like this guy already and he hasn't even put the pads on the team yet! :2thumbsup

NastySlot
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM

uh....Spurrier beat him also. 2010 season after they spanked texas for mnc

hookandladder
01-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I like this guy already and he hasn't even put the pads on the team yet! :2thumbsup

I agree, you gotta love a man that takes no crap.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
That's an interesting question. How much did Fran build tcu? It's been interesting to see how successful Fran has been without Patterson.

He was 25-10 so I would say he was a big factor in TCU being who they are

bobcat1
01-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Man I like what I am seeing from Coach Strong, this is old school put up or shut up. Love the no cell phones and definitely love the no ear rings, you come play or just to look good. This list looks very close to the list the new Blinn football gave out last night, get your act together or go home. Love it.

Reckon he is gonna be able to make men out of them. I've seen the videos about milking an injury. No one will get hurt and stay hurt long I bet.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2014, 09:51 PM
ATM still Sucks , my point.

Lol I've yet to see you make an intelligent post on this forum

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Outside of Wickline the Texas offensive staff is a HUGE disappointment.

Roughneck93
01-14-2014, 10:18 PM

"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Macarthur
01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
He was 25-10 so I would say he was a big factor in TCU being who they are

But what has Fran's record been since he was without Patterson. Remember they were at New Mexico too.

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 11:25 PM
But what has Fran's record been since he was without Patterson. Remember they were at New Mexico too.

At Pittsburgh state 1985-1989

53-6

At Southwest Texas State 1990-1991

13-9

At Alabama 2001-2002
17-8

At A&M 2002-2007

32-28

At Texas State 2011-Present

16-20

Overall at Texas State/SWTS

29-29

Old Tiger
01-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Here are their records when playing in a real conference

Franchione in SEC/Big 12

49-36

Gary Patterson in Big 12

11-14

Manso/V8
01-15-2014, 12:22 AM
No Guns? I bet he loses recruits that like to hunt.

hookandladder
01-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Lol I've yet to see you make an intelligent post on this forum

Read between the lines, ATM Sucks. Does not take intelligent's, you will figuire it out.

hookandladder
01-15-2014, 09:13 AM
No Guns? I bet he loses recruits that like to hunt.

Hopefully they will not need to bring them to school with them to hunt, guess they gonna just have to hunt them girls barehanded.

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
At Pittsburgh state 1985-1989

53-6

At Southwest Texas State 1990-1991

13-9

At Alabama 2001-2002
17-8

At A&M 2002-2007

32-28

At Texas State 2011-Present

16-20

Overall at Texas State/SWTS

29-29

It was more of a rhetorical question, OT, but thanks. ;)

Was Patterson with him at Pitt? I don't remember.

My point was that Fran hasn't done nearly as well post-Patterson.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 10:09 AM
It was more of a rhetorical question, OT, but thanks. ;)

Was Patterson with him at Pitt? I don't remember.

My point was that Fran hasn't done nearly as well post-Patterson.

But Fran also took two jobs that were in harder conferences without Patterson so that is not a real fair assessment

Bullaholic
01-15-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a Charlie Strong supporter....if following could really be true...

caleb_mccaig
01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Read between the lines, ATM Sucks. Does not take intelligent's, you will figuire it out.

Hahaha, it really doesn't take intelligent's. It might take some intelligence though.

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
But Fran also took two jobs that were in harder conferences without Patterson so that is not a real fair assessment

Ok, but I don't think any reasonable person would say Fran is better than Patterson. That's the bottom line.

Old Tiger
01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Ok, but I don't think any reasonable person would say Fran is better than Patterson. That's the bottom line.

Until Fran took those jobs we could. Lets see Patterson in a real conference for a few more years and compare the first 4 years of Fran not being at TCU and Gary Patterson in his 1st 4 years in big 12.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Says who?

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Everyone. You're kidding right?

hookandladder
01-15-2014, 12:36 PM

ATM thought so, they could have hired Patterson over Fran a few years ago.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Everyone. You're kidding right?

Sorry I do not see that..both have won at lesser schools..Fran has had more success in the bigger conferences so far

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
That's insane.

How many BCS appearances and wins does Fran have?

Your losing any credibility you have on this, man. Seriously.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
That's insane.

How many BCS appearances and wins does Fran have?

Your losing any credibility you have on this, man. Seriously.

Fran won 71% at TCU..Patterson 74%...you can argue that TCU finally got to a BCS because the groundwork Fran laid down and Patterson continued...again Patterson took over a team that was already one of the best mid majors because of the work Fran did

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
I never said Fran did nothing. You are making the case that you can't say Peterson is better than Fran. That is flat out nuts.

Patterson was there almost a decade when they went to and won a BCS game. There is no credit due to Fran for that. Everyone in the college world thought so much of Fran, he had to go back to Texas state to coach again. Lol

Wow

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
And your point above about Fran winning 71% at tcu....he had Patterson!

What was his winning % post-Patterson?

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Fran did get tcu going in the right direction. Credit where credit is due. But to make the case that Patterson just continued what Fran did is flat out nonsense.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Fran did get tcu going in the right direction. Credit where credit is due. But to make the case that Patterson just continued what Fran did is flat out nonsense.

why?

bobcat1
01-15-2014, 01:48 PM
TCU TCU TCU. I thought this thread was about Coach Strong?:1offtopc: Get a room you two!

Macarthur
01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
TCU TCU TCU. I thought this thread was about Coach Strong?:1offtopc: Get a room you two!

I agree.

bobcat1
01-15-2014, 04:30 PM

I agree.

I had to get this on record. Mac agreed with me.:p