Ricebirds now 0-3
Needville-3-1

maestro
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Sure are several road victories this first round

Needville has always been well coached

maestro
01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Maxpreps reporting wharton over Bellville, Columbus over Sealy. Sealy is having trouble breaking the 30 point barrier. Never a good sign.

rancher
01-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Has Sealy even won a game??? I can tell you this much, the Sealy coach did not schedule very many home games this year except the district ones. He wanted to stay out of site so the people of Sealy would not know how bad it is. I hope they replace him and get someone who will teach fundmentals and not school yard ball. The way I have seen them play, hell you dont need a coach, just put five guys out there and let them ball.

maestro
01-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I would hate to see anyone lose their job. We all know hs talent comes and goes at 3a level.
But sealy fans need to see if the head coach has all the resources needed to compete.
I do not know the sealy coaches, but I know one way of hurting sports like basketball and baseball is assign a Frosh or jv coach to that sport that does not give the sport or kids a fair days work.

Just guessing. I know that even Royal needed a solid half court game to make it to state.

Scoop27
01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Is Sealy capable of winning any district games this year? Sealy hosts the El Campo this coming Tuesday. Wharton hosts Royal and Needville hosts Bellville. Columbus plays at Yoakum in non-district.

XMan
01-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Before bashing a coach ask yourself some questions. Does Sealy have an offseason for basketball only guys? Do they even allow basketball only guys to exist? Was the basketball coach hired on his abilities/qualifications as a basketball coach or as a football coach and then assigned basketball? Do the basketball players have to go through "offseason" during their in season? Just some things to ponder.

rancher
01-06-2014, 08:11 AM
"You are what your record says you are.” - Bill Parcells, Former NFL Coach and Superbowl Winner

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Sealy-El Campo girls boys doubleheader on Tuesday
http://www.sealysports.com/Sealy_STSN/Broadcast_Schedule.html

maestro
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Before bashing a coach ask yourself some questions. Does Sealy have an offseason for basketball only guys? Do they even allow basketball only guys to exist? Was the basketball coach hired on his abilities/qualifications as a basketball coach or as a football coach and then assigned basketball? Do the basketball players have to go through "offseason" during their in season? Just some things to ponder.

Another way of saying what I meant to say

maestro
01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
"You are what your record says you are.” - Bill Parcells, Former NFL Coach and Superbowl Winner

Sadly this is true.

maestro
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Sealy-El Campo girls boys doubleheader on Tuesday
http://www.sealysports.com/Sealy_STSN/Broadcast_Schedule.html

Ok

Just let me say, the girls/boys varsity double headers are a horrible idea!!!!

Think not??? Just try asking a athletic director to play a Friday night jv/varsity football game doubleheader, with the varsity game starting at 7:30, nope could be 7:45, nope could be 8:00.

That's what boys varsity coaches are fighting each night.

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
You mainly see these doubleheaders in Class A and 2A-But for some reason this 3A district does it- Not sure about any others. increases attendance I presume is one reason and cost

TigerPride12
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Rancher, before you start bashing the coaches and players of Sealy, let's take a step back. For the past 4 years, Sealy has in a sense, dominated the district. Lost to stafford in the regional quarters in 2010 and then to Athens in the regional semis in 2011. What I'm getting at, is there has been a tremendous amount of talent the past few years. This year, there is talent, BUT missing the dominance down low and the team chemistry that has been there in the past. 6 sophomores... All see a lot of playing time. I've been watching them since the beginning of the year and they have IMPROVED 10-fold. All three coaches in the program have put all their effort into this year. And the "streetball" reference is a little junior high if you ask me. When there are 10 guys who are all talented and gifted you can give the kids the freedom to be CREATIVE on the court. Every High school team in America is going to have a bad year every now and then. It's part of the game, but no need to just call out for all this change

maestro
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Rancher, before you start bashing the coaches and players of Sealy, let's take a step back. For the past 4 years, Sealy has in a sense, dominated the district. Lost to stafford in the regional quarters in 2010 and then to Athens in the regional semis in 2011. What I'm getting at, is there has been a tremendous amount of talent the past few years. This year, there is talent, BUT missing the dominance down low and the team chemistry that has been there in the past. 6 sophomores... All see a lot of playing time. I've been watching them since the beginning of the year and they have IMPROVED 10-fold. All three coaches in the program have put all their effort into this year. And the "streetball" reference is a little junior high if you ask me. When there are 10 guys who are all talented and gifted you can give the kids the freedom to be CREATIVE on the court. Every High school team in America is going to have a bad year every now and then. It's part of the game, but no need to just call out for all this change

Glad to read that Coach Dabney has two solid assistants. Believe me, it matters.

rancher
01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Well lets see if we can get to the truth. Pre RSJ, according to Maxprep record was 6-17. Post RSJ, have they won a game or maybe just 2 over bad bad smaller school who have not won. So bad many parents and I think they are correct suspect there was a deliberate effort not to schedule any boy games at Sealy to hide how bad they are. Plus the deliberate effort not to hold the annual basketball tournment that has been going on for years. Just a coincidence. A 10-fold improvement, you must be using that fuzzy math. When I went to school 10 x 0=0. You have a small team who lacks fundamentals, one very obivious one is they dont block out. FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS FUNDAMENTALS AND YOU WILL WIN YOUR SHARE. Time for a change just like Mack at Texas.

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
How would everyone rate this district as far as strength wise compared to other ones in Region IV. Since I don't cover high school basketball anymore for any newspaper, I not familar with any teams. How is La Grange, Giddings, Gonzales, Smithville and Cuero

TigerPride12
01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Fundamentals are something you GROW up with. Kids should already have fundamentals by time they get to High school so the coach can focus offenses, defenses, situationals, etc. So if you wanna put the blame on someone, blame the foundation. And max preps is something only the coaches can submit and to my knowledge, coach Dabney didn't start entering stats and scores till the year after you went "studying" for false statistics. And there was NO deliberate effort to not have a tournament. There hasn't been one the last 2 years so if you are so in tune with Sealy you would have know that. Also, the amount of home games depend on who has open dates to schedule. Road games actually help you GROW as a young squad and prepare you for obstacles faced during district. And I'd like to know who "all these parents are" complaining... Because I have yet to hear one complaint.

TigerPride12
01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Scoop, district 25 is probably middle to above average. Wharton definately is rolling on all cylinders and look to be a team to watch. Another team, even though not in region 4 to look out for is Rockdale. Have a junior who's ranked in ESPNU and can LIGHT IT UP. The district with smithville and LG had been solid in past years and who knows what to expect from the RGV.

Scoop27
01-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Wonder if the Tigers have the potential to go undefeated. Guess have to take one game at a time. After playing Royal, the Tigers are open on Jan 10 and hosts Needville on Jan 14.
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wharton-tigers-%28wharton,tx%29/basketball/schedule.htm

Slyone
01-07-2014, 12:57 AM
I have been a frequent reader of this site but posting for the first time. Coach Dabney in Sealy is a good coach. He just does not have the talent he had the last four years. I'm not here to argue with anyone, just do not like to see shots taken at good coaches when they're having a bad year. Always cool to read the threads on this website. Thanks for letting me post my two cents.

XMan
01-07-2014, 06:47 AM
If you don't have an offseason program you are stuck with the talent you have. That means some years you get a RSJ and some years you get a bunch of short country kids. Rancher, can you answer any of the questions about the basketball program that I put out there? Im thinking its time Rancher gets out of Crossroads and goes and gets his/her certification cause he knows much more than any of the Sealy coaches.

TigerPride12
01-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Agreed XMan, the coaches and players all go to school and put it all they've got. Yeah, it my not produce wins, but that's how HS sports work. You can't be dominant year in and year out. It's all about the talent you have.

maestro
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Wonder if the Tigers have the potential to go undefeated. Guess have to take one game at a time. After playing Royal, the Tigers are open on Jan 10 and hosts Needville on Jan 14.
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wharton-tigers-%28wharton,tx%29/basketball/schedule.htm

Don't talk undefeated just yet.

Whs is talented, but Collier at Columbus, and Blank at Needville are masters of tempo. Even Royal last year passed the ball around to slow tempo vs Boerne.

Coach Brown doing good things at WHS.

On what scoop was wondering, this district is basically your athletes that play football, basketball, and either track or baseball. Very few hoop year round guys. That makes what these above coaches are accomplishing remarkable.

Scoop27
01-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Sealy Coach Dabney was a guest during halftime of girls game. Announcers asked him some tough questions but he answered them with class and said two players are out with health issues and another two players will be lost on Friday. Had some great comments and said EC is young, quick and vibrant. Said he will put pressure on EC. He also joked about couple of EC players having flat top hair cuts0

Johnny Utah
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Sealy Coach Dabney was a guest during halftime of girls game. Announcers asked him some tough questions but he answered them with class and said two players are out with health issues and another two players will be lost on Friday. Had some great comments and said EC is young, quick and vibrant. Said he will put pressure on EC. He also joked about couple of EC players having flat top hair cuts0

High School Basketball, HS sports in general are not as easy as many think. Talent comes and goes, good teams come and go. All part of it. Coaches have the best interest of all at heart and often times......losing seasons occur. Sealy is no different. They have been very good the last couple of years, and it sounds like they will be tough again once the young kids gain experience and mature. Very glad to see Rockdale Hoops back up and running!! Hope the Tigers make a run. Blank at Needville (Yoakum for years) is one of the best in the business. HS sports in most towns, regardless of size, is cyclical.....ease up on the Sealy coach and support him and the kids in the program. Hopefully the parents can see the forest for the trees as well.....sometimes little Johnny is not as good as Big Johnny thinks.

WhartonTigers
01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Don't talk undefeated just yet.

Whs is talented, but Collier at Columbus, and Blank at Needville are masters of tempo. Even Royal last year passed the ball around to slow tempo vs Boerne.

Coach Brown doing good things at WHS.

On what scoop was wondering, this district is basically your athletes that play football, basketball, and either track or baseball. Very few hoop year round guys. That makes what these above coaches are accomplishing remarkable.

Not in Wharton this year for some reason only six guys on the varsity squad actually played football. the rest have been in basketball since the beginning of the year. I know one fact for sure is that we are very very young, only one senior on the team.

maestro
01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Needville at Royal tonight?

Any predictions scoop?

Scoop27
01-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Wharton blew out Royal on Tuesday and the Falcons beat El Campo by only 4 points a couple of weeks ago. Will go with the Bluejays even though game is in Brookshire. Royal beat El Campo by 4 points and Bluejays beat Ricebirds by around 10 points