PDA

View Full Version : Flu....

Cam
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Anybody got it yet?.....It's bad in the Hill country...My paramedic buddy says he's concerned with how many house calls they've already made because of the flu. Apparently, some folks getting real sick. He told me one friend of his (only 50) ended up in the hospital and is now battling pneumonia...
My whole family got it but recovered well...Interesting was my 21 year old....he's a fitness & nutrition freak and I guess his immune system can kick some serious ass!....Showed signs of getting sick but in less than 24 hours he was fine again.....the rest of us spent most of the holidays in bed!....maybe I should ride the ol' bike more often and eat apples instead of twinkies!!....:spitlol:.........Ya'll take care!

44INAROW
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm headed to the doctor at 3:30. Feel like crap, coughing, aching, stopped up nose but only low grade fever. So far, no stomach issues. I don't run to the doctor ever time I sneeze. In fact, I didn't go in 2013 at all. I think I have a nasty sinus infection from allergies but in case it's the start of the flu, I want Tamaflu. I hate wasting PTO days on sickness. They sprayed my office with Lysol, just in case💉💊😷

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

waterboy
01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
The H1N1 is serious stuff. It's bad over here in East Texas. There's been at least 5 deaths attributed directly to this strain of flu. I heard a client say this morning that one of his co-workers died this morning from pneumonia caused by H1N1 before they could get him to the hospital. Man, I sure hope the vaccination prevents our family from getting it!

Cam
01-03-2014, 03:32 PM
The H1N1 is serious stuff. It's bad over here in East Texas. There's been at least 5 deaths attributed directly to this strain of flu. I heard a client say this morning that one of his co-workers died this morning from pneumonia caused by H1N1 before they could get him to the hospital. Man, I sure hope the vaccination prevents our family from getting it!

Let's hope waterboy...My co-worker and his two kids and wife took the shot over a month ago.....they all still got sick last week....so, maybe they got a different strain of flu???....heck I don't know....This virus stuff is crazy......:vrycnfsd:

Cam
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm headed to the doctor at 3:30. Feel like crap, coughing, aching, stopped up nose but only low grade fever. So far, no stomach issues. I don't run to the doctor ever time I sneeze. In fact, I didn't go in 2013 at all. I think I have a nasty sinus infection from allergies but in case it's the start of the flu, I want Tamaflu. I hate wasting PTO days on sickness. They sprayed my office with Lysol, just in case������

Feel better 44!....

Scoop27
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
My wife found out she had today after doctor visit in Wharton-She got her flu shot it October but got it anyway. She Got some new flu Thermaflu or something like that today- I didn't get the flu but had throat infections etc and cought for almost three weeks and went to dr three times twice got shots and antibiotic-Past few days is best i've felt in a long time

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Wife and I both have it..i have slept so much..never slept this much in a week

WOS87
01-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm an MD and have been sick since December 15th or so... it's awful. A lot of my patients and my staff are from Conroe where all the first deaths were. Sleeping 15 hours+ when I have a chance... I hear ya. Stay hydrated and eat.

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2014, 06:40 AM
I had the flu shot in October. I don't know exactly what I had a few days before Christmas, but had NO business being at work that Friday. We got a new client the day before, my boss was out, so I felt like I "needed" to be there to get the ball rolling. By the time I got home around 5, I felt so bad that the front door was entirely too far from my car & ended up sleeping in the car for a couple of hours. I ended up running 103 temp most of the weekend, slept most of it, and by Monday was on the way back to feeling decent.

A good friend has been in the hospital since the Friday before Christmas - H1N1 that turned into double pneumonia. She was sedated until New Year's Eve so she wouldn't pull the ventilator out & I think still has it in for a few more days.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
It's tough for all those who have it or similar symptoms to deal with it. As I said it battled my sort throat and cough and congestion with mucus for over two weeks- Was amost 100% for Christmas. Taking care of yourself and drinking a lot of liquids helps. I was just so cold all the time that we had to keep our heater cranked up. Get well for all my fellow 3a downlowers

slingshot
01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
It's bad here too... my partners and I have a minor emergency clinic (in addition to our office)--by noon yesterday had already seen 40 people and there were 20 more in the waiting room, nearly all with flu or flu-like illnesses. Seeing quite a few folks with flu that got the flu shot but their cases seem to be much less severe on average... so still very much worth getting a flu shot if you have not already.

44INAROW
01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Slingshot.. Are y'all seeing lots of little ones with RSV? Our 2 month old grandson was here ( flew In From Tampa Dec 13) on Weds, 18th he started with the runny nose and cough and Kellee took him to an Urgent Care in Victoria ( I thought she was being over cautious but he's their 1st baby and I'm the mother in law, so I kept my mouth shut lol... They did chest X-ray and he was clear, so they told her to use saline solution spray in his nose and off they went. He stayed the same until Christmas Eve and then he started running fever and a rattle type cough.. She took him to our doctor the 26th and they did a swab for flu and RSV and he was positive for RSV. She took him back in Monday 30th before they flew back Tuesday and they did numerous breathing treatments on him and Chad bought a portable machine and they've been giving him breathing treatments at home. He's doing better but still spikes a temp from time to time. Their pediatrician said the Cuero doctors did exactly what he would have done ( made me feel good). There have been several little ones down here hospitalized with RSV this past week. I raised 3 sons, one of them was born 3 months early, and I'd never heard of RSV until 2 weeks ago. My boys had what we called " the croup". Maybe they had RSV and we never knew 😜💉

1st and goal
01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
It's tough for all those who have it or similar symptoms to deal with it. As I said it battled my sort throat and cough and congestion with mucus for over two weeks- Was amost 100% for Christmas. Taking care of yourself and drinking a lot of liquids helps. I was just so cold all the time that we had to keep our heater cranked up. Get well for all my fellow 3a downlowers

I just started my 2nd round of antibiotics for something close to bronchitis. Been having major coughing attacks for over a month. Hope everyone gets better soon.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
My wife only had to wait 10 minutes if that long at the Wharton clinic on Friday- She was only in his office a bout 10 minutes. Then had to wait 30 minutes for prescription filled at Walmart pharmacy across the street. Praying for full quick recoveries for everyone

slingshot
01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Slingshot.. Are y'all seeing lots of little ones with RSV? Our 2 month old grandson was here ( flew In From Tampa Dec 13) on Weds, 18th he started with the runny nose and cough and Kellee took him to an Urgent Care in Victoria ( I thought she was being over cautious but he's their 1st baby and I'm the mother in law, so I kept my mouth shut lol... They did chest X-ray and he was clear, so they told her to use saline solution spray in his nose and off they went. He stayed the same until Christmas Eve and then he started running fever and a rattle type cough.. She took him to our doctor the 26th and they did a swab for flu and RSV and he was positive for RSV. She took him back in Monday 30th before they flew back Tuesday and they did numerous breathing treatments on him and Chad bought a portable machine and they've been giving him breathing treatments at home. He's doing better but still spikes a temp from time to time. Their pediatrician said the Cuero doctors did exactly what he would have done ( made me feel good). There have been several little ones down here hospitalized with RSV this past week. I raised 3 sons, one of them was born 3 months early, and I'd never heard of RSV until 2 weeks ago. My boys had what we called " the croup". Maybe they had RSV and we never knew ����

The urgent care has seen a few, we don't see kiddos under 2 at our office so have not seen any recently...

Cam
01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Greendawg don't ever get no flu!....he keeps just enough alcohol in his system to kill off all the bugs!!!...:doh:

greendawg84
01-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Greendawg don't ever get no flu!....he keeps just enough alcohol in his system to kill off all the bugs!!!...:doh:

Exactly ! Didnt work though had it 2 weeks ago :tongue:

Cam
01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Exactly ! Didnt work though had it 2 weeks ago :tongue:

stay away from the cheap beer and Mike's Hard Lemon.....uhh...aid......
How's that boy doing? Getting bigger? Are they thinkin' past the 3rd round for next year??....

greendawg84
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
stay away from the cheap beer and Mike's Hard Lemon.....uhh...aid......
How's that boy doing? Getting bigger? Are they thinkin' past the 3rd round for next year??....

Glad his arse is back in school , bout eat everything in the house ! Not sure bout next year , we have lots of talent and size . Big question is going to be at QB . Anyways , he is getting ready for some baseball and the two others have been busy Deer hunting ! Aint seen the oldest much but my freezer is full !

SHSBulldog00
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm an MD and have been sick since December 15th or so... it's awful. A lot of my patients and my staff are from Conroe where all the first deaths were. Sleeping 15 hours+ when I have a chance... I hear ya. Stay hydrated and eat.

My brother-in-laws sister was one of those deaths from H1N1 in Conroe. (I believe there were 8?). She was just 20 yrs old. My mom who has had CHF came down with H1N1 in November. We thought it was her CHF again but it turned out to be H1N1. She spent about 3 or 4 days in quarantine at Brazosport Hospital in Lake Jackson (South of Houston). She recovered and is doing well.

For those not medically knowledgeable CHF = Congested Heart Failure.

D'Highlander
01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
The Flu Vaccine is just for a specific strain of Flu isn't it? and aren't there hundreds of strains? I'm not trying to stir anything up but I think that the flu vaccines are just a gimmick...

disclaimer: I have no data to back up my comment. It is my opinion and may not be used or rebroadcasted without the expressed written consent of the NFL.

ronwx5x
01-07-2014, 12:41 PM
The Flu Vaccine is just for a specific strain of Flu isn't it? and aren't there hundreds of strains? I'm not trying to stir anything up but I think that the flu vaccines are just a gimmick...

disclaimer: I have no data to back up my comment. It is my opinion and my not be used or rebroadcasted without the expressed written consent of the NFL.

The flu vaccine covers multiple strains and is adjusted annually to combat what has been prevalent. It is not a gimmick and imo people who find excuses not to have the vaccine are playing with fire. I have one every year and have not had the flu (of any kind) since I was a kid.

D'Highlander
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
The flu vaccine covers multiple strains and is adjusted annually to combat what has been prevalent. It is not a gimmick and imo people who find excuses not to have the vaccine are playing with fire. I have one every year and have not had the flu (of any kind) since I was a kid.

You are probably right, I just see too many people taking the shot and still getting the flu. On the other hand, you cant see how many people are not getting the flu that would have if they hadn't taken the shot.

SHSBulldog00
01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
You are probably right, I just see too many people taking the shot and still getting the flu. On the other hand, you cant see how many people are not getting the flu that would have if they hadn't taken the shot.

I haven't had the shot.

D'Highlander
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I haven't had the shot. I haven't either and knock on wood I haven't had the flu. On the other hand my brother got Whooping Cough...

Cam
01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I haven't either and knock on wood I haven't had the flu. On the other hand my brother got Whooping Cough...

D'High......you skeered of needles?......

Speakin' of whoopin' cough, my doc gave me orders to get the flu shot and whoopin' cough vaccine combo....I just haven't gone to get it......what's up with the whoopin' cough? When did that stuff start up again?......How bad is it?......I hate coughin'....so does my wife....I have a tendency to cough and flatulate at the same time......:doh:

D'Highlander
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
D'High......you skeered of needles?......

Speakin' of whoopin' cough, my doc gave me orders to get the flu shot and whoopin' cough vaccine combo....I just haven't gone to get it......what's up with the whoopin' cough? When did that stuff start up again?......How bad is it?......I hate coughin'....so does my wife....I have a tendency to cough and flatulate at the same time......:doh:

not so much needles... just sharp and pointy things.

slingshot
01-07-2014, 06:55 PM

People still do get the flu sometimes after getting the flu shot. A brief primer on flu shots: It is a vaccine... an 'inactivated' (means 'dead' so it CAN'T give you the flu!) virus is injected into you, your immune system will respond and produce antibodies to the virus. It only is as good as your immune system--it does not provide 'passive' immunity Even if you do contact the flu after getting the shot, it will likely be less severe and last less time than if you had not recieved it It does take a couple weeks for the flu shot to work--remember your immune system has to make the antibodies Overall, on average the flu shot will cut your chances of getting flu 50-70% depending on which study you believe During flu season (like now) remember to avoid crowds when possible, wash your hands or use sanitizer any time you touch an environmental surface (like that bathroom doorknob or the serving counter at McDonald's), get rest, drink fluids, take 1000 mg or so of vitamin C in divided doses daily If you do get sick, don't 'tough it out' and go to work--STAY HOME and get well! Cough into you elbow, keep you distance from people, don't share food or drinks and definitely don't kiss anyone! If you get it, see a doctor ASAP and get started on Tamiflu--it works! It is no longer recommended for prophylaxis because we don't want Tamiflu resistant strains to emerge from overuse

slingshot
01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
BTW--You just got my 'canned' talk on the flu shot--just send your checks to: Dr Slingshot, #1 3A School Clinic, Abilene, TX 98765 :p

Old Green
01-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Flu is bad this year. I received a call about an hour ago from a friend about his sister dying because of the flu.