PDA

View Full Version : Art Briles

orange machine
01-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Will be the next Texas Longhorns coach!

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Hopefully he'll not bring this undisciplined style we seen tonight with him. Least not #77.

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 01:08 AM

link/source/etc

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Why would you agree to an extension only to take another job elsewhere? Is there no loyalty? I don't believe he will be at UT next year.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Why would you agree to an extension only to take another job elsewhere? Is there no loyalty? I don't believe he will be at UT next year.

Contracts don't mean nothing anymore. As Briles said himself, it's a busine$$.

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 01:18 AM

Because you take the money now that they are offering.

Would you turn down a million dollar raise that a school is offering you that would guarantee you money? If he leaves for Texas he leaves for Texas, there is no way you don't take that extension at the time to at least secure that raise.

Snotbubbles
01-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Ask Nelms tt. Loyal only to $$$$.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 01:24 AM
I hear you OT and understand what you are saying but damn...loyalty use to mean something.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 01:27 AM

It's at all levels. Just be thankful you had a solid coach for any period of time. Grass is always greener elsewhere as long as you win. Get it while ya can.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 01:29 AM

That is such an asinine comment. We are talking about a whole different world.

Snotbubbles
01-02-2014, 01:34 AM

I thought you had asked why a coach would leave. $$$$ is why. Like Nelms and any other coach that can better themselves financially. Regardless HS, college, pros.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 01:42 AM
How many long term contracts or extensions do you hear about in 3A HS football?

NastySlot
01-02-2014, 02:59 AM
link/source/etc

he cracked a twitter code....KD Cannon: LOL Baylor =Briles to Texas and Cannon also.

Rabid Cougar
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I will laugh my a$$ off when it happens. Actually I think it will be the NFL (see Chip Kelly).

caleb_mccaig
01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I will laugh my a$$ off when it happens. Actually I think it will be the NFL (see Chip Kelly).

Personally, I think Chip would have stayed at Oregon and would have gotten a monster pay day if he didn't get banned/suspended, whatever you want to call it, for like 18 months for recruiting.

regaleagle
01-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Briles will stay at Baylor, imo. I don't think he will take the UT job. Baylor now has state of the art facilities and he has a good contract. He doesn't have to mess with the Austin stuff, and Waco is an easier way of life.

Macarthur
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I think baylor played him out of contention. He's been really good but they really slumped at the end of the season and get tons of penalties. Rightly or wrongly , there's a perception that he has an undisciplined group.

regaleagle
01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Baylor has yet to establish a very high-quality defense....that's their Achilles Heel. Briles has always majored in offense, so that should be no revelation...just like at UH. Give Baylor some credit for being highly competitive offensively, but there's still much recruiting work to be done to round out this program under Briles. UT was not too slick on defense this season either, just like A&M and some other schools. It could be that most of the teams in the Big 12 need to shore up their defenses due to the high-powered offenses in this league. I wouldn't put too much salt on the lack of discipline at Baylor yet. Baylor's defensive unit played many more minutes than your average 10-win plus team due to the quick-strike, high-powered high-scoring offense they had. Those boys were on the field all the time. Injuries pile up, and they get tired late in the game. That's one of the negatives of that kind of offense....it's puts alot of playing time on your starting defense if you're not way ahead.

orange machine
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
According to the Dallas Morning News via the Austin Statesmen Briles has stated if Texas offers the job he will take it.

NTFan
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I hear you OT and understand what you are saying but damn...loyalty use to mean something.

Ask Mack Brown about loyalty. You take care of yourself and your family. If Briles takes the UT job, he does so because it is what he thinks is the best move for him. It doesn't matter about facilities. IMO, he has taken Baylor about as far as he can. He led them to their 1st Big 12 title and a berth in their 1st BCS game and Baylor doesn't even sell out their ticket allotment? That says a lot about his situation at Baylor.

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Briles at Texas could get better defensive recruites in 1 year than he has the past 5 years at Baylor.

Macarthur
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Baylor has yet to establish a very high-quality defense....that's their Achilles Heel. Briles has always majored in offense, so that should be no revelation...just like at UH. Give Baylor some credit for being highly competitive offensively, but there's still much recruiting work to be done to round out this program under Briles. UT was not too slick on defense this season either, just like A&M and some other schools. It could be that most of the teams in the Big 12 need to shore up their defenses due to the high-powered offenses in this league. I wouldn't put too much salt on the lack of discipline at Baylor yet. Baylor's defensive unit played many more minutes than your average 10-win plus team due to the quick-strike, high-powered high-scoring offense they had. Those boys were on the field all the time. Injuries pile up, and they get tired late in the game. That's one of the negatives of that kind of offense....it's puts alot of playing time on your starting defense if you're not way ahead.

Sure, but I think it needs to be said that defense is a problem all over college football. How many teams can field really good defenses? College is all about offense and I think in a few years it's going to filter to the nfl. Playing defense is really hard now days.

regaleagle
01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Ask Mack Brown about loyalty. You take care of yourself and your family. If Briles takes the UT job, he does so because it is what he thinks is the best move for him. It doesn't matter about facilities. IMO, he has taken Baylor about as far as he can. He led them to their 1st Big 12 title and a berth in their 1st BCS game and Baylor doesn't even sell out their ticket allotment? That says a lot about his situation at Baylor.

WOW....didn't even sell out their ticket allotment going to Phoenix for the Tostitos Bowl. YEP, that's a big slap in the face, for sure. KState probably would have done that!!!

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Loyalty? Mack was all about the money without ever producing.

NTFan
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Loyalty? Mack was all about the money without ever producing.

Do you remember where Texas was before Mack took over? He didn't produce, EVER? 2 NC game appearances and 1 NC title? Your definition of producing and mine are different, I suppose. I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change. Im saying the comment about loyalty is a two way street. Universities and schools aren't worried about it when they need to go in "another direction". Coaches shouldn't be worried about it either.

regaleagle
01-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Do you remember where Texas was before Mack took over? He didn't produce, EVER? 2 NC game appearances and 1 NC title? Your definition of producing and mine are different, I suppose. I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change. Im saying the comment about loyalty is a two way street. Universities and schools aren't worried about it when they need to go in "another direction". Coaches shouldn't be worried about it either.

True-blue statement. Why should coaches be overly concerned about the well-being of the program they are leaving when the universities display the same perspective. That's just the way it is in big business.....the bottom line of recent years rules. What have you done for me lately???

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 09:28 PM

Lol. We all know if Dodds was still there so would Mack. I respect him. He was and will always be loyal to UT. He did not want to leave the program.

It's not unusual to fall short on ticket allotment sales. Even for the more notable schools such as Ohio State and LSU. It was UCF for Pete's sake and they returned more than Baylor did 2-1.

IMO Briles has unfinished business in Waco. I think those kids that he helped recruit would tend to agree. Take care of your own? 3.5mil a season? How is that not taking care of your family? The man signed a contract extension. That is where my loyalty thoughts originate.

OldBison75
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Every coach has a buyout clause in the contact now, just in case a better offer comes along. I just can't imagine that there is not any kind of penalty in the contract that would cause issues with him moving to another school in the same conference.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Every coach has a buyout clause in the contact now, just in case a better offer comes along. I just can't imagine that there is not any kind of penalty in the contract that would cause issues with him moving to another school in the same conference.

They'd just pay that penalty if there was.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
I know he is a baseball guy but before you know it...Scott Boras and others like him will be representing head coaches at all levels. lol

OldBison75
01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Many years ago, when Jackie Sherill was at TAMU, he said there was a clause in his contact that required that he would have to wait one full year before coaching at any school in the conference. He said that that was not unusual then, but it is rarely done now. And before anybody says that is just a rumor, I was told that by the man himself at a book signing in CS this past fall.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 10:05 PM
I know he is a baseball guy but before you know it...Scott Boras and others like him will be representing head coaches at all levels. lol

:doh: Sad, but--true.

orange machine
01-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Art Briles will be the next coach at Texas hide and watch! Texas will offer him a contract he cannot refuse nor should he!

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 11:24 PM

Mack Brown is the only coach in the history of Texas football to have 4 straight four loss seasons.
Mack Brown hired Manny Diaz, who in 2012, fielded the worst defense in the history of the school.
Mack Brown failed to fire Manny Diaz after the 2012 season only to fire him mid-season in 2013.
Mack Brown has 2 conference championships in 28 years of head coaching.

Mack Brown's records and such since 2010;

Overall: 30-20
vs Ranked Teams: 5-14
vs Oklahoma: 1-3
vs Baylor: 1-3
vs Oklahoma State 1-3
vs Kansas St 1-3

Random Facts

Years in which Texas lost 4 games by 19 or more points:

Years in which Texas has lost 5 games by 19 or more points:

orange machine
01-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Mack Brown is the only coach in the history of Texas football to have 4 straight four loss seasons.
Mack Brown hired Manny Diaz, who in 2012, fielded the worst defense in the history of the school.
Mack Brown failed to fire Manny Diaz after the 2012 season only to fire him mid-season in 2013.

vs Oklahoma State 1-3
vs Kansas St 1-3

Random Facts

I like Mack Brown but you are right on all accounts. I think Mack could have saved his job had he won the Big 12 and finished the season in the top 15.

caleb_mccaig
01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
After making some calls yesterday I've heard two totally different sides of the Briles story. I've heard the Austin American-Statesman says if he's offered he will take it.

From talking to some people at Baylor, I've heard that the Board of Regents have already made Briles tell them if he's staying or looking at other jobs and from what I've heard he has told them that he's the Baylor football coach and isn't interested.

What we have here is a good ole tale of he said, she said. I would love for Briles to stay at Baylor, being from Waco and a former student there but if he gets big $$$ I don't see why he wouldn't leave. I think they would have to make him an offer to be in the top 5 of salaries of head coaches in the country for him to leave.

For those of you saying Baylor fan base didn't buy their ticket allotment, Almost everyone I know went through a third-party source like StubHub or Ticketmaster. The student tickets were a couple hundred bucks and most of my friends found decent tickets for less than $100 (Probably because of the match-up). There was plenty of Baylor nation there.

Bullaholic
01-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Let me let you wave the "old school" flag, Tejas. Loyalty is a punchline now practiced only by old ignorant people.

caleb_mccaig
01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Briles just tweeted this out.

‏@CoachArtBriles
Contrary to reports and rumors I am a Baylor Bear - 2013 Big 12 Champs

NTFan
01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

vs Oklahoma State 1-3
vs Kansas St 1-3

Random Facts

I don't dispute any of those facts sir. Your original comment about the subject said that Mack "never" produced. If it would have said he hasn't produced anything since the NC game vs. Alabama, I would agree. But he brought the program back from being an also run. It's a shame his tenure ended as it did. Poor decisions in recruiting and asst. coaches ended up costing him in the long run.

Roughneck93
01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Briles:

“I have no desire to pursue other coaching positions. As I’ve said many times, I am both humbled and honored to be the head coach at Baylor University, and believe we have something special going here. I look forward to leading the Bears onto the field next fall at McLane Stadium and defending our Big 12 championship that our players and coaches worked so hard to win this season.

“There is tremendous excitement for our program’s future, and I look forward to many more great seasons at Baylor,” he added. “There is tremendous commitment from our University leadership, athletic administration, coaches and student-athletes – it truly is a great time to be a Baylor Bear.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/art-briles-contrary-to-reports-and-rumors-i-am-a-baylor-bear/

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Briles:

“I have no desire to pursue other coaching positions. As I’ve said many times, I am both humbled and honored to be the head coach at Baylor University, and believe we have something special going here. I look forward to leading the Bears onto the field next fall at McLane Stadium and defending our Big 12 championship that our players and coaches worked so hard to win this season.

“There is tremendous excitement for our program’s future, and I look forward to many more great seasons at Baylor,” he added. “There is tremendous commitment from our University leadership, athletic administration, coaches and student-athletes – it truly is a great time to be a Baylor Bear.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/art-briles-contrary-to-reports-and-rumors-i-am-a-baylor-bear/

Just saw that on Sportscenter.

Gone Fishing
01-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Agree tejas. SB's Thats so apples to oranges its stupid. 80K to 100K vs 2M to 5M. I believe all coaches (most anyway) have a desire, goal , accomplishment driven want, to get as far as they can in winning, but also getting to a top level position in their field, ie. high school coaches to a 4 or 5 A level if you started at a 1 or 2 or 3 A level. In college to get from a D3, D2 or lower level D1 to a top level D1 program and maybe from there a NFL job. But to comment Nelms in this thread is funny. He was one of, if not the highest paid 3A coach / AD in the state and yes he was going to go make 20% more on the move, but I believe it was that driven thing all coaches have and that is to get to the top level in their field, (for him 5 A ) and win. Yes money, but family more, and IMO the opportunity to hit the big time for him (5A) was the motive more than 20% pay. In comparison if it would have been 80k to 250k then maybe.

Tejastrue
01-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Let me let you wave the "old school" flag, Tejas. Loyalty is a punchline now practiced only by old ignorant people.

Old and ignorant? Ouch. I will however proudly wave that flag.

caleb_mccaig
01-03-2014, 01:30 PM

I think loyalty in sports is something of a dying breed. It's used today as a double standard when it comes to players and coaches. If someone is a long time athlete for a professional team some people expect that player to be loyal, whether it means possibly taking a hometown discount or not going to a rival team. But no one is going to blame Josh Hamilton I don't think for getting that absurd contract full of guaranteed money when the Rangers weren't offering near that. Obviously there is some loyalty by players but not very often now days.

Now for a coach, people I think expect more out of them. I'm somewhat an LSU fan and when Saban left and then went to Alabama I was furious at his decision. But I mean it's not like he was just going to go back to LSU and kick out Les Miles so I got over it but a lot of LSU faithful are not even close to getting over that decision. People expect the leader of the team to not betray that team by abandoning it and everything it stands for.

In Baylor's case Briles brought Baylor back from the laughing stock of the Big 12, when I was there, to a BCS game competitor. Baylor faithful thinks if he leaves he just used them to get a better job and was never loyal to the program. But if you think about it, if Texas offered him significant more money than Baylor has why would he not take the opportunity to solidify that his family will never have to worry about money again? I wouldn't blame him.

Manso/V8
01-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Agree tejas. SB's Thats so apples to oranges its stupid. 80K to 100K vs 2M to 5M. I believe all coaches (most anyway) have a desire, goal , accomplishment driven want, to get as far as they can in winning, but also getting to a top level position in their field, ie. high school coaches to a 4 or 5 A level if you started at a 1 or 2 or 3 A level. In college to get from a D3, D2 or lower level D1 to a top level D1 program and maybe from there a NFL job. But to comment Nelms in this thread is funny. He was one of, if not the highest paid 3A coach / AD in the state and yes he was going to go make 20% more on the move, but I believe it was that driven thing all coaches have and that is to get to the top level in their field, (for him 5 A ) and win. Yes money, but family more, and IMO the opportunity to hit the big time for him (5A) was the motive more than 20% pay. In comparison if it would have been 80k to 250k then maybe.

Good points, but let me add that sometimes coaches and regular joes need a change and/or a new challenge. Nelms had a very good run in WT, but often a head coach can feel a small town with high expectations start to close in on them. Not saying that was the case with Nelms, but I have seen it in other towns. It is hard to continually stay on top.

Also, I don't know the formula, but I think teacher's/coach's retirement pay is based on their highest salary in the final years of there career. In that case $20K a year, or whatever the bump can have a long term impact on retirement pay. I hear that from Bellville teachers and coaches who prefer to be in our district but will go work in a nearby higher paying district for a few years before they retire.