PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Chick Fil-A: Texas A&M vs. Duke in the Georgia Dome

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Looks like the Dukey Boys may present some problems for this weak ATM defense. If Manziel and the offense don't pull up the slack, it may be an embarrassing night for the Ags like it was for the Horns. Only difference was most Longhorn fans wanted to see Mack fail, and the matchup against a very good Oregon team is a little different than playing the Dukey Boys of the ACC.

95mustang
12-31-2013, 08:45 PM
2 Big penalties on Evans already. Don't agree with the 2nd one.

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 09:03 PM
So there it is....ATM and Manziel scores in 4 plays. That's how they'll need to do on offense to win this one. I don't think you can count of the Aggie D to do their part against this Duke offense. Sumlin better have some defensivie recruits coming in this fall. Manziel may stay another season....it's still up in the air at this point. He may be better off waiting for one more season.

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Now Duke burns ATM defense with a 79 yd TD bomb to Crowder on a 3-play drive. I don't know if the Ags can cover Crowder and put enough pressure on the Duke qb....he's pretty good when he has time. And he can launch some long ones....he appears to have a fairly strong arm.

Tejastrue
12-31-2013, 09:13 PM
With all the ribbing of Texas by Aggie supporters I must admit it would sweet to see the Duke basketball team finish this off. Wait, I meant football.

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 09:21 PM
LOL, TT that was almost funny....but we all knew you were poking fun. At least the Ags just scored again to keep the game within 2 TD's. It looks like this one will be all offense. That's the best way for ATM to win it. If the Blue Devils could play D, the Ags would be in big trouble.

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Reese says 5 possessions...5 touchdowns.....the Blue Devils are rolling. Looks like the Ags are against the wall to stop the Duke offense tonite. The Ags can't keep up on the scoreboard with this kind of offensive production. They are always playing catchup, and the Aggie defense has yet to get a stop.

Tejastrue
12-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah, when Carson told me I was almost funny I returned to the factory to pursue my life long blue collar career.

Saggy Aggie
12-31-2013, 09:42 PM
5 drives, 5 touchdowns.... This defense gets worse every week

Yoe_09
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Not good. If it wasn't for the poor clock management there right before the half, Duke would have 42.

Rabid Cougar
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Also tonight Basketball - North Texas 61 TAMU 41 Aggies first home loss this year. First time since Dec 29,1999 UNT has beat the Aggies!

regaleagle
12-31-2013, 09:48 PM
John Saunders says the Duke football team has outscored the Duke basketball team in the first half today. That's got to be a first. Duke scores in 6 out of 6 possessions after recovering the onside kick and taking it down to the half yardline before time left on the clock causes them to take the field goal to end the first half on the last play. Duke's basketball team got 35 pts in the first half.....the football team plays a perfect half and gets 38.

Yoe_09
12-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Also tonight Basketball - North Texas 61 TAMU 41 Aggies first home loss this year. First time since Dec 29,1999 UNT has beat the Aggies!

That team might win a couple of SEC games this year.

Tejastrue
12-31-2013, 10:26 PM
I don't care who you are...that last play for the td by Manziel was a classic.

Rabid Cougar
12-31-2013, 10:26 PM
And here's Johnny FF.

Tejastrue
12-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Entertaining game to say the least.

Saggy Aggie
12-31-2013, 11:22 PM
That should have been intentional grounding....

bwdlionfan
12-31-2013, 11:33 PM
I think Duke's OC is copying the Dallas Cowboys. Why throw the ball with a 3 point lead on 2nd and 5 with 3 1/2 minutes to go??

NastySlot
12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
WOW......and I am stunned.

I am really happy for Nate Askew...SA Madison Product went to CS as a Rec. and ends his career with a big defensive play. Glad he stuck it out and worked his way onto the field.

Tejastrue
12-31-2013, 11:59 PM
Be proud A&M, Duke was a formidable opponent.

bobcat1
01-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Best game so far this Bowl Season. Congrats Aggies and JFF!

Tejastrue
01-01-2014, 01:35 AM
and I was being sarcastic

Bull Butter
01-01-2014, 01:43 AM
With all the ribbing of Texas by Aggie supporters I must admit it would sweet to see the Duke basketball team finish this off. Wait, I meant football.

52-48.
Didn't finish it off

YTBulldogs
01-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Duke.:spitlol:

Saggy Aggie
01-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Aggie defense sucked like usual, but it's a W. They're even sweeter when they're comeback wins. I'll take a win over duke versus an ass whoopin any day :)

regaleagle
01-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Don't let the irony of this finish escape your senses. The Texas A&M defense actually rose to the occasion when they needed it most. YES, Manziel was the only reason they were able to stay in this game, but beyond that the defense in the 4th quarter played much better. The Aggies deserve to celebrate this win tonite....they earned it. Kudos to the Duke Blue Devils on a great season and playing a very exciting brand of football this season. David Cutcliffe deserves much credit. It was a highly successful season for them. And the best bowl game so far. That counts for something with all the viewers.

Saggy Aggie
01-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Don't let the irony of this finish escape your senses. The Texas A&M defense actually rose to the occasion when they needed it most. YES, Manziel was the only reason they were able to stay in this game, but beyond that the defense in the 4th quarter played much better. The Aggies deserve to celebrate this win tonite....they earned it. Kudos to the Duke Blue Devils on a great season and playing a very exciting brand of football this season. David Cutcliffe deserves much credit. It was a highly successful season for them. And the best bowl game so far. That counts for something with all the viewers.

Yeah the defense managed to get 3 stops in one game... Which was enough for Johnny.

Dukes 3rd and 4th down percentages were flat out unacceptable. I'd hate to see Johnny play on a team with a defense that has a pulse.

regaleagle
01-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Yeah the defense managed to get 3 stops in one game... Which was enough for Johnny.

Dukes 3rd and 4th down percentages were flat out unacceptable. I'd hate to see Johnny play on a team with a defense that has a pulse.

Shades of the Cougars under Sumlin. He likes the mobile, athletic qb with a good hard rb.....but always lacks on the defensive side. The Cougars had to outscore everybody to win, too.

But they did win.

Saggy Aggie
01-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Side note: A&M will get its best defensive player back next year (Claiborne - didn't play tonight)

Manso/V8
01-01-2014, 04:34 AM
Duke.....

1st and goal
01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
and I was being sarcastic

Duke.:spitlol:

Duke.....

Duke would beat UT this year. :)

:spitlol:

icu812
01-01-2014, 12:16 PM
To suggest Duke didn't have a very good team this year is ignorant. Great win for A&M, awesome game to watch and what a way to go out for JF.

I love college football........their alumni not so much.

YTBulldogs
01-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Maybe, if Coack K had them playing like he did last night?

1st and goal
01-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Maybe, if Coack K had them playing like he did last night?

You mean Cutcliffe YT?

He is an awesome coach. Not a major fit thrower on the sidelines like some.

1st and goal
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
That QB for Duke was awesome. He was poised, elusive, and throws the ball at a catch-able speed. He was almost perfect until the end of the game. I would have him for my QB anyday. Duke played smart, disciplined ball last night. I'm almost still in shock that the Ags were able to pull it out at the end.

YTBulldogs
01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
You mean Cutcliffe YT?

He is an awesome coach. Not a major fit thrower on the sidelines like some.

Yeah, he looked like he rather been at Duke's basketball game didn't he? Wonder where Duke would of finished in that tough SEC?

Tejastrue
01-01-2014, 02:08 PM

So close for it being an Aggie bashing day, but hey, they found a way to win it and you got to give them credit for that. So close. :(

1st and goal
01-01-2014, 04:33 PM
So close for it being an Aggie bashing day, but hey, they found a way to win it and you got to give them credit for that. So close. :(

Your secret wish was not to be. I know you had at least 3 or 4 tacky posts written and ready to go. :) Lucky for Longharns they get to flush the toilet after this season as far as coaching goes. Proverbially speaking. Now you have to live with that sour taste for another year. I hope for Texas sake they can find a good coach. Maybe too much money clouded what was best for the team. I know Mack went down kicking and screaming, not wanting to give up $5 mil/year. I wouldn't want to give that up either.

Still, Duke would have beaten UT this year. No matter how much you all make fun of their coach. Too bad he's not in the running for UT's coaching needs.

YTBulldogs
01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
It was Duke. Devils should of ran the four corner spread and ate the clock. :doh:

regaleagle
01-01-2014, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=YTBulldogs;1798390]It was Duke. Devils should of ran the four corner spread and ate the clock. :doh:[/QUOTE

:fnypost: LOL, you're probably right YT, haha.

bigwood33
01-03-2014, 06:50 AM
This was a great game to watch, entertaining to the end. If Manziel enters the draft, we will get to see just what kind of a coach Sumlin really is. Manziel was like "found money" and many times over the last couple of years it was his greatness that elevated the Aggies. Unless Sumlin commits to recruiting and developing a defense, look for a couple of 6-6 or 7-5 seasons coming up.
Congrats to former Whitesboro QB/Point Guard/2nd Baseman Travis Labhart on a great game! What a great kid from a great family!

Old Tiger
01-03-2014, 06:52 AM
To suggest Duke didn't have a very good team this year is ignorant. Great win for A&M, awesome game to watch and what a way to go out for JF.

I love college football........their alumni not so much.

But ESPN and all their pundits said Duke wasn't very good after FSU beat them by 38. Now that A&M came back to win by 4 points makes them good again? SEC logic.

bobcat1
01-03-2014, 07:26 AM
This was a great game to watch, entertaining to the end. If Manziel enters the draft, we will get to see just what kind of a coach Sumlin really is. Manziel was like "found money" and many times over the last couple of years it was his greatness that elevated the Aggies. Unless Sumlin commits to recruiting and developing a defense, look for a couple of 6-6 or 7-5 seasons coming up.
Congrats to former Whitesboro QB/Point Guard/2nd Baseman Travis Labhart on a great game! What a great kid from a great family!I knew I recognized that name. Awesome!

Macarthur
01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Congrats to former Whitesboro QB/Point Guard/2nd Baseman Travis Labhart on a great game! What a great kid from a great family!

Commits to recruiting?

How you been following his classes this year and last?

Saggy Aggie
01-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Commits to recruiting?

How you been following his classes this year and last?

Lol 2nd ranked class in the nation...

icu812
01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
But ESPN and all their pundits said Duke wasn't very good after FSU beat them by 38. Now that A&M came back to win by 4 points makes them good again? SEC logic.

FSU is real good and sometimes teams play/coach poorly in a game but it doesn't mean they aren't good. ESPN is loaded with East/West coast liberal elite bias. Texas A&M is the probably the LAST team they would be in the tank for.

bigwood33
01-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Lol 2nd ranked class in the nation...

I know. Call me when a Sumlin team strings together a few solid defensive performances in a row. I have been an Aggie fan since the mid '70's but get ready for the top recruiting classes to dry up after Manziel leaves and the Aggies out together back to back 7-5 seasons.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 10:13 AM
I know. Call me when a Sumlin team strings together a few solid defensive performances in a row. I have been an Aggie fan since the mid '70's but get ready for the top recruiting classes to dry up after Manziel leaves and the Aggies out together back to back 7-5 seasons.
They were a few minutes away from 8-5.

It will be interesting to see how things go once that new car smell wears off.

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 11:36 AM
They were a few minutes away from 8-5.

It will be interesting to see how things go once that new car smell wears off.

They were also a few minutes away from 10-2 with basically a front 7 made up of virtually all 18year old freshmen. And Manziel was hurt a good part of the year.

Ut is fearful of what Sumlin is building and for good reason.

The nfl doesn't decend upon your school two years in a row sniffing around your head coach if hes not the real deal.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
They were also a few minutes away from 10-2 with basically a front 7 made up of virtually all 18year old freshmen. And Manziel was hurt a good part of the year.

Ut is fearful of what Sumlin is building and for good reason.

The nfl doesn't decend upon your school two years in a row sniffing around your head coach if hes not the real deal.
schiano

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 11:52 AM
schiano

Lol.

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
schiano

Tampa Bay front office is just stupid though

bigwood33
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM

If Sumlin gets an NFL job, he should give Manziel 51% of his salary. The last 2 years have been the Johnny Manziel story, not the Kevin Sumlin story. Again, wake me up when his team starts playing defense.

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
If Sumlin gets an NFL job, he should give Manziel 51% of his salary. The last 2 years have been the Johnny Manziel story, not the Kevin Sumlin story. Again, wake me up when his team starts playing defense.

Tough crowd.

Who exactly plays defense in college these days?

Better yet, I'm watching an nfl game where 79 points have been scored and more to come. Sumlin signed 8 four star defensive recruits last year and has 1 five star and 9 four stars committed so far this year.

There's a reason why he's in demand and it's not just JFF, although that didn't hurt.

1st and goal
01-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Tough crowd.

Who exactly plays defense in college these days?

Better yet, I'm watching an nfl game where 79 points have been scored and more to come. Sumlin signed 8 four star defensive recruits last year and has 1 five star and 9 four stars committed so far this year.

There's a reason why he's in demand and it's not just JFF, although that didn't hurt.

This. And look at the bowl scores. BTW OT, UT really did lose against Iowa State too. So add Vandy to the list of teams that would've beaten UT. :)

Just anti trolling countermeasure stuff.

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Lol gimme a break man. You're talking about an offensive coach with a freshman defense and you're critical of his defense... Give him a chance to get his players and let them mature a bit before you're too critical.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Lol gimme a break man. You're talking about an offensive coach with a freshman defense and you're critical of his defense... Give him a chance to get his players and let them mature a bit before you're too critical.

I think he is speaking of his defenses in Houston.

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Well if so, my bad. The sentence before referenced the last 2 years so I just figured he was talking about his time with A&M. Either way, he's an offensive coach...

Macarthur
01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Again, who exactly is playing defense in college these days.

I'm sure he had access to top notch defensive recruits at UH.

You're so transparent.

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Again, who exactly is playing defense in college these days.

I'm sure he had access to top notch defensive recruits at UH.

You're so transparent.
What are you complaining to me about? Talk to bigwood33

bigwood33
01-04-2014, 10:49 PM
What are you complaining to me about? Talk to bigwood33
;)
Yes, I was referring to his history as a HC. Who knows how it might transfer but I was just looking at the Louisville season stats a couple of hours ago and it appears that they managed to play some defense there the last couple of years. I'm not saying Sumlin is a poor coach but he has been pretty darned fortunate. He inherited a mature team, built by Art Briles and then he inherits the most exciting college football player since Barry Sanders. We'll see soon enough if he can build anything. We know he is a good maintenance man.

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2014, 11:11 PM
;)
Yes, I was referring to his history as a HC. Who knows how it might transfer but I was just looking at the Louisville season stats a couple of hours ago and it appears that they managed to play some defense there the last couple of years. I'm not saying Sumlin is a poor coach but he has been pretty darned fortunate. He inherited a mature team, built by Art Briles and then he inherits the most exciting college football player since Barry Sanders. We'll see soon enough if he can build anything. We know he is a good maintenance man.

Manziel had never seen the field and wasn't expected to be the starter when sumlin was hired. Everything Manziel did for A&M was under Sumlin, so I wouldn't say he inherited the most exciting player. He helped develop Manziel into it though...

bigwood33
01-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Manziel had never seen the field and wasn't expected to be the starter when sumlin was hired. Everything Manziel did for A&M was under Sumlin, so I wouldn't say he inherited the most exciting player. He helped develop Manziel into it though...

Riiiight. He wanted to start Showers, and in fact named him the starter but Manziel forced his hand once the fall camp started. He had no interest in Manziel, didn't offer him at Houston and didn't really want him at A&M. What Manziel did last year was the same thing he did at Tivy. I'm not saying that he didn't improve but Sumlin had very little to do with what Manziel did on the field. His mechanics are terrible and his judgement is suspect...for anyone else but he makes it all work. That isn't coaching, that is virtuosity. I think you have to go all the way back to 1963 and Roger Staubach to see another QB who plays/played the position like Manziel.
I know you're an Aggie and I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't sync with yours....time will tell who is right. I've been wrong before and will be again. I'm sure you will find this hard to believe but I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see A&M win the SEC.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Riiiight. He wanted to start Showers, and in fact named him the starter but Manziel forced his hand once the fall camp started. He had no interest in Manziel, didn't offer him at Houston and didn't really want him at A&M. What Manziel did last year was the same thing he did at Tivy. I'm not saying that he didn't improve but Sumlin had very little to do with what Manziel did on the field. His mechanics are terrible and his judgement is suspect...for anyone else but he makes it all work. That isn't coaching, that is virtuosity. I think you have to go all the way back to 1963 and Roger Staubach to see another QB who plays/played the position like Manziel.
I know you're an Aggie and I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't sync with yours....time will tell who is right. I've been wrong before and will be again. I'm sure you will find this hard to believe but I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see A&M win the SEC.

Sumlin "inheritied" the QB in waiting and backup at the time Showers.... He instead said that there would be an open competition and selected manziel. I don't think at any point he named Showers the starter. I think showers was the "presumed" starter by everyone (Aggie alumni, students, fans, etc) outside the coaching staff besides the very few ppl who follow HS ball and knew what manziel was capable of.

Manziel is ana amazing talent, but to say he inherited the most excitting player in football sounds as if you or anybody else knew what he'd be capable of... and no one did. But Sumlin figured it out and made the proper, though not popular at the time, decision...

bigwood33
01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
As I said, time will tell.