PDA

View Full Version : What does Jerry Jones do to fix the Cowboys for the future?

Old Tiger
12-30-2013, 12:59 AM
starting in 2014....Cowboys will be 31 million over the cap. Strangled by a ridiculous contract extension.

D'Highlander
12-30-2013, 08:09 AM
cowboys should disband and then reform as an expansion team... that way they can completely start over. also... under new ownership... I know that wont happen but I live in a dream world where I huff too many unicorn farts :helpme:

bobcat1
12-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Time to get younger and more aggressive players that you don't have to pay 55 million guaranteed. Good bye DWare and Anthony Spencer and Romo, Miles Austin, Brandon Carr.

waterboy
12-30-2013, 08:35 AM
"What does Jerry Jones do to fix the Cowboys for future?"

Step down as GM would be a good start!

D'Highlander
12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Time to get younger and more aggressive players that you don't have to pay 55 million guaranteed. Good bye DWare and Anthony Spencer and Romo, Miles Austin, Brandon Carr.

I agree... they have to stop the bleeding

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 09:34 AM

I don't think lack of aggressiveness was this teams issue. They just had some glaring holes on defense. Some due to injury.

And they have a HC that is terrible at managing games and his offensive system is too pass happy.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't think lack of aggressiveness was this teams issue. They just had some glaring holes on defense. Some due to injury.

And they have a HC that is terrible at managing games and his offensive system is too pass happy.

passing is the the NFL today..Dallas was 13th in attempts per game..what he needs to improve on is situational passing and rushing

Farmersfan
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM

The woes of this team were here before J. Garrett was here. I think its a franchise culture thing. In my opinion Jerry Jones has established a culture where players are too lax or too secure in their jobs. Although we haven't heard it much lately we did hear often in the past how players would by-pass the head coach and go straight to Jerry with issues. That pre-dates Garrett.

slingshot
12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Fire himself...

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 09:59 AM
The woes of this team were here before J. Garrett was here. I think its a franchise culture thing. In my opinion Jerry Jones has established a culture where players are too lax or too secure in their jobs. Although we haven't heard it much lately we did hear often in the past how players would by-pass the head coach and go straight to Jerry with issues. That pre-dates Garrett.

I think we all know that ultimately JJ is the problem but that isn't going to change.

Because JJ is an egomaniac doesn't excuse JG for costing this team at least 4 or 5 games the last two years just because he can't mange games and is absolutely clueless about how to use timeouts.

That timeout last night before the half is a perfect example. There is no reason why dallas shouldn't have kicked that FG as time expired. Philly should not have had time to do anything. Can you imagine how much flack JG would be getting if Philly had run that kick back. Completely brain dead. And romo,kept him from calling a stupid TO last week.

Farmersfan
12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
passing is the the NFL today..Dallas was 13th in attempts per game..what he needs to improve on is situational passing and rushing

They need to stop throwing the check down short pass to receivers or TEs running sideways on 3rd downs. (Expecially in the Red Zone). Romo had several drives end because of it last week and Orton did it last night. This season Tony Romo has a QB rating of over 100 on 1st and 2nd down throws but his QB rating on 3rd down is very, very poor at 76. Not only does he make bad decisions on 3rd down but even when he makes a completion it's too often to a short underneath receiver that can't get the 1st. I think this is by design.

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
As a follow up to my last post, this team lost 5 games by a total of 8 points. This team is not far off from being a 10 win team. Having a coach that is incapable of managing the end of games puts them in a huge disadvantage.

Bullaholic
12-30-2013, 10:17 AM

I don't agree. After watching the Cowboys for a long time, I can tell you that the Cowboys have too many highly paid players just collecting paychecks. It shows on a lot of plays. I agree that the defense has more of these type of incapable players than the offense. DB's and LB's that don't know where to be on too many plays, and then wait for receivers to make catches, trot along side of them for a few yards, and maybe attempt an arm tackle or shove out of bounds. Practically no anticipation or route jumping attempted because they are too afraid of getting beat for a big gainer, or hurt. Cowboys have got to find some players who can, and will, play well at the pro level every week.

Demarco Murray came to play yesterday---and you could see it all day. Yes---he did give up a fumble on a hard hit---but it wasn't because he wasn't trying to claw and run for every yard.

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok. I just don't see guys quitting. I see guys like Heath and holloman getting beat because they are not ready yet.

You think guys like Heath and holloman quit?

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Ok. I just don't see guys quitting. I see guys like Heath and holloman getting beat because they are not ready yet.

Holloman was a beast last night 11 tackles 2 sacks

Bullaholic
12-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Didn't say everyone is not trying---I said too many highly paid players. The makeshift D-Line has played with some enthusiasm most games.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Kiffin fired

bobcat1
12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Didn't say everyone is not trying---I said too many highly paid players. The makeshift D-Line has played with some enthusiasm most games.
Because they were on the couch playing video games prior to the season. Now they are aggressively playing trying to get signed to a "Jerry Sized deal". Common knowledge is you go to Dallas to get paid in the league. So like Bull said. =Most are here just here punching the clock.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
If Dallas stays 4-3 I say go after Mike Zimmer...would have to name him asst HC/DC

Bullaholic
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
If Dallas stays 4-3 I say go after Mike Zimmer...would have to name him asst HC/DC

Might be some "been there, done that" with Zimmer.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Might be some "been there, done that" with Zimmer.

only reason he left in first place was because of Parcells and moving to 3-4

Farmersfan
12-30-2013, 10:59 AM
As a follow up to my last post, this team lost 5 games by a total of 8 points. This team is not far off from being a 10 win team. Having a coach that is incapable of managing the end of games puts them in a huge disadvantage.

Although I don't disagree with you in the least here Mac I have to point out that this team also lost 3 games this season on late game errors by their franchise and backup QBs. I've been calling for a replacement of them for years just like you are calling for a replacement of Garrett......

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Although I don't disagree with you in the least here Mac I have to point out that this team also lost 3 games this season on late game errors by their franchise and backup QBs. I've been calling for a replacement of them for years just like you are calling for a replacement of Garrett......

So Romo in your mind loses 2 games on "late game errors"...of course he had 4 comeback wins..so in that category he is 4-2 on the season yet you want to replace him

Roughneck93
12-30-2013, 11:04 AM

I would like this as well.

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 11:31 AM

He's won more games late than anyone the last 3 years. When QB's are put in a position to win or lose the game in the last series, they are going to fail some. Brady failed last week.

buff4ever
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Kiffin fired

I am not saying this didn't need to happen, because it did for different reason than they did. But it is another situation where he is the escape goat for managment. But look at how they played at times with basically the practice squad defense. Hard to judge a coack or coordinator on that talent level after injuries. It isn't like he chose those starters in a draft or trades, he was stuck with them as starters after many injuries. Before the injuries hit, our defense showed signs of being pretty good.

With that said, this was still a must sadly, like I said for other reasons than the actual performance of the practice squad defense he was working with.

YTBulldogs
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I would consider replacing Romo. But, not cause of performance reasons, but--the back issue. Once cut on, you'll never be the same and will always have issues going forward. Especially with repeated fall's on hard surfaces.

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Can we just stop with getting rid of romo? . It's not going to happen. If you cut him, the cap number would be insane. Stop.

Bullaholic
12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Garrett is a JJ man and doesn't buck the "crown"...therefore, I think he will survive and lead the Cowboys in continued eternal mediocrity.....

Farmersfan
12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
So Romo in your mind loses 2 games on "late game errors"...of course he had 4 comeback wins..so in that category he is 4-2 on the season yet you want to replace him

Only a real desperate person would put both those things in the same category TXB. One is a team accomplishment and the other is a individual mistake. No matter how great Romo plays he cannot ever single handledly come from behind to win a game. But he can single handedlly give points away or eliminate his teams opportunity to win. Surely you can see the difference?

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
The cowboys were 5th in points scored and 26th in points allowed and were bitching about the QB.

Eagle 1
12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
"what does jerry jones do to fix the cowboys for future?"

step down as gm would be a good start!

this!

Bullaholic
12-30-2013, 05:14 PM
this!

Billionaire NFL owners with huge egos are like 500lb male lions---they sleep where they want and do pretty much what they want...so we,---the long-suffering Cowboys fans just have to grin and bear it cause ol' JJ ain't giving up the GM job until he's dirt napping....

Macarthur
12-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Jake Z just said on the ticket that since 2006, dallas is 24th in the league with the most INTs in the last 4 min of games.

In other words, they have the 8th fewest ints in the last four minutes of games

cougartino
12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Catch a moving DART bus with his teeth!

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2013, 06:56 PM
The cowboys were 5th in points scored and 26th in points allowed and were bitching about the QB.

Lol just imagine FF's attitude if orton had gotten Dallas in the playoffs

Roughneck93
12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
"What does Jerry Jones do to fix the Cowboys for future?"

Step down as GM would be a good start!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1821727/JERRYDEALWITHIT.gif

:D

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Only a real desperate person would put both those things in the same category TXB. One is a team accomplishment and the other is a individual mistake. No matter how great Romo plays he cannot ever single handledly come from behind to win a game. But he can single handedlly give points away or eliminate his teams opportunity to win. Surely you can see the difference?

lol..wow.

Old Tiger
12-31-2013, 04:45 AM
I am not saying this didn't need to happen, because it did for different reason than they did. But it is another situation where he is the escape goat for managment. But look at how they played at times with basically the practice squad defense. Hard to judge a coack or coordinator on that talent level after injuries. It isn't like he chose those starters in a draft or trades, he was stuck with them as starters after many injuries. Before the injuries hit, our defense showed signs of being pretty good.

With that said, this was still a must sadly, like I said for other reasons than the actual performance of the practice squad defense he was working with.

Kiffin got fired by his son at USC, dude should have never been hired for that gig.

Old Tiger
12-31-2013, 04:47 AM
Can we just stop with getting rid of romo? . It's not going to happen. If you cut him, the cap number would be insane. Stop.

Cowboys built this team to "win now" but that didn't happen and that is why the salary cap issue is what it is now. IMO they need to completely overhaul and suffer some terrible years but get rid of all those bad contracts.

bobcat1
12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Cowboys built this team to "win now" but that didn't happen and that is why the salary cap issue is what it is now. IMO they need to completely overhaul and suffer some terrible years but get rid of all those bad contracts.
And get a new GM that knows how to write a good contract that is incentive laden, not reputation laden.

Farmersfan
12-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Jake Z just said on the ticket that since 2006, dallas is 24th in the league with the most INTs in the last 4 min of games.

In other words, they have the 8th fewest ints in the last four minutes of games

This contradicts the stat put out 2 weeks ago that said Romo has had twice as many ints as any other QB in the NFL with 3 minutes left in the game and the game within 1 score. It also contradicts the stat that was put out that said Romo's ints are 2nd to only Matt Schaub in "COST TO TEAM'S CHANCES TO WIN". Romo has had like 3 interceptions since 2006 that dropped the Cowboy's odds of winning more than 50%. Only Schaub has done worst................. I've said 1000 times it isn't the number of Romo interceptions that kills his team. It's when he and how he throws them. It's always right in the middle of a good drive when hopes and momentum are high and everybody is on the edge of their seat. THEN """"BAM""""""" a Romoism takes it all away! LOL. And regardless of how much you guys talk him up I now have TWO (2) has-been and not very well thought of QBs who came in relief of Romo and performed just as well. END OF STORY! All that talent and he accomplishes nothing with it. Perhaps that's why he was undrafted out of a unknown school and sat on the bench for 4 years behind old man winter Drew Brees and was within a gnat's ass of being cut in favor of Quincy Carter until Carter got caught with drugs.................... :smoker: It's impossible for you guys to continue to support Romo when he continues to prove the naysayer's right at every turn!
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and is planning to usher in the New Year the right way!

Macarthur
12-31-2013, 09:46 AM
This contradicts the stat put out 2 weeks ago that said Romo has had twice as many ints as any other QB in the NFL with 3 minutes left in the game and the game within 1 score.

Yes, it does. Hmmmm

It also contradicts the stat that was put out that said Romo's ints are 2nd to only Matt Schaub in "COST TO TEAM'S CHANCES TO WIN". Romo has had like 3 interceptions since 2006 that dropped the Cowboy's odds of winning more than 50%. Only Schaub has done worst!

This makes no sense. Can you link this.

If he has the most 4th quarter and OT wins the last three years and 3 ints that cost his team a chance to win, I'll take those odds.

However, this still does not make sense. Please link.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
JJ settles his differences with JJ and have JJ be just the owner and JJ the new GM :)

Bullaholic
12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Immediate replacement arguments for Romo are fanciful and unrealistic because of his contract extension and the cap situation. The only factor that could cause Romo to be out anytime soon as the Cowboys QB would be any debilitating and/or risk factors with his back. However, I've got no problems with the Cowboys drafting the QB of the future immediately, if one is on the board, and developing him over a couple seasons like GB did with Aaron Rogers with Favre.

buff4ever
12-31-2013, 11:20 AM
JJ settles his differences with JJ and have JJ be just the owner and JJ the new GM :)

This would improve things, but I don't see that happening either.

Bullaholic
12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Jerry confirmed my earlier post about his priority and darling being AT&T stadium and not so much the Cowboys team when he said yesterday, when asked:

Reporter: (paraphrase)"Are you embarrassed about your team's performance?"

Jerry: (paraphrase)"You ever see anyone in this stadium who was embarrassed?"

Eagle 1
12-31-2013, 11:28 AM
You can butter Romo's stats all you want, but people who think logically, know the only the stat that matters is in the W column.

caleb_mccaig
12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Romo's going nowhere and shouldn't go anywhere unless you want Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starting quarterback. Romo is the best option available and that includes through the draft.

Jerry will not be stepping down as GM anytime soon and if I owned a football team I sure as hell would be the GM too because guess what? It's my team.

I'm a Cowboys fan and always will be and I agree with all the people saying this team was built to win now. Our cap situation is awful and we're going to be in cap hell for the next few years. Maybe that's what we need so we can pick up a few higher draft picks but whatever gets Ware, Austin and spencer off of this team quickest without more cap penalties, I'm for it.

Macarthur
12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
You can butter Romo's stats all you want, but people who think logically, know the only the stat that matters is in the W column.

False. People who think logically know that there is a lot more to the analysis of a QB than wins and losses.

Macarthur
12-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Not that wins and losses aren't important, but does the Saints record while Manning was there mean Archie was a bad QB?

YTBulldogs
12-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Romo's going nowhere and shouldn't go anywhere unless you want Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starting quarterback. Romo is the best option available and that includes through the draft.

Jerry will not be stepping down as GM anytime soon and if I owned a football team I sure as hell would be the GM too because guess what? It's my team.

I'm a Cowboys fan and always will be and I agree with all the people saying this team was built to win now. Our cap situation is awful and we're going to be in cap hell for the next few years. Maybe that's what we need so we can pick up a few higher draft picks but whatever gets Ware, Austin and spencer off of this team quickest without more cap penalties, I'm for it.

Caleb, I assume you've had this type of back surgery (slipped disk repair) Romo just had before, by stating Dallas should not consider replacing Romo. As I mentioned before, I would not release/trade based on performance, but--would due to this operation. No way you'll remain healthy following that procedure at a position you get nailed into the hard ground several times a game. And, maybe we can fool a few other teams like you, thinking he can endure this for several more years, and get a good deal for him in a trade now. Dallas has several issues to address other than at QB, and I just think Romo dealt now can get you quality replacement help now, before the obvious is known of Romo's future back. Hell, take Aikman word. He's been there, done that--- wasn't the concussions as many think that finished him off, but his back following surgery.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24390358/troy-aikman-tony-romos-back-could-be-factor-going-forward

Macarthur
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Caleb, I assume you've had this type of back surgery (slipped disk repair) Romo just had before, by stating Dallas should not consider replacing Romo. As I mentioned before, I would not release/trade based on performance, but--would due to this operation. No way you'll remain healthy following that procedure at a position you get nailed into the hard ground several times a game. And, maybe we can fool a few other teams like you, thinking he can endure this for several more years, and get a good deal for him in a trade now. Dallas has several issues to address other than at QB, and I just think Romo dealt now can get you quality replacement help now, before the obvious is known of Romo's future back. Hell, take Aikman word. He's been there, done that--- wasn't the concussions as many think that finished him off, but his back following surgery.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24390358/troy-aikman-tony-romos-back-could-be-factor-going-forward

When is everyone going to get it through their head. Romo is not going anywhere!

It has nothing to do with his performance. The contract JJ gave him makes it impossible to move him. It's a waste of time to even spend the time typing it.

Farmersfan
12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes, it does. Hmmmm
This makes no sense. Can you link this.

If he has the most 4th quarter and OT wins the last three years and 3 ints that cost his team a chance to win, I'll take those odds.

However, this still does not make sense. Please link.

Quote: "Tony Romo's interception with 1:24 left in the 4th quarter dropped the Cowboys win probability by 51.1 percentage points, the 2nd-most costly 4th-quarter interception in his career in terms of decrease in win probability. His interception earlier in the quarter dropped the Cowboys win probability by 17.5 percentage points (from 88.6 percent to 71.1 percent). Tony Romo has thrown 7 career 4th-quarter interceptions that have dropped the Cowboys win probability by at least 20 percentage points (The Cowboys have lost all 7 games). Only Matt Schaub has thrown more costly interceptions (8) since the start of 2006."

Quote: "Tony Romo has now thrown the most 4th-quarter interceptions this season when the score is within five points. Romo joined Geno Smith (did it in Week 2 vs NE) as the only quarterbacks to throw multiple 4th-quarter interceptions in the same game when the score is within five points this season."

Read the research notes on the bottom right side of the page. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331215006

Farmersfan
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Quote: "This is the 7th time Tony Romo has thrown a pick in the 4th quarter or overtime with his team tied or leading by 1 possession. That is nearly twice as many as any other QB since 2006 (when Romo became the starter in Dallas). "

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331215006

Macarthur
12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote: "Tony Romo's interception with 1:24 left in the 4th quarter dropped the Cowboys win probability by 51.1 percentage points, the 2nd-most costly 4th-quarter interception in his career in terms of decrease in win probability. His interception earlier in the quarter dropped the Cowboys win probability by 17.5 percentage points (from 88.6 percent to 71.1 percent). Tony Romo has thrown 7 career 4th-quarter interceptions that have dropped the Cowboys win probability by at least 20 percentage points (The Cowboys have lost all 7 games). Only Matt Schaub has thrown more costly interceptions (8) since the start of 2006."

We've discussed this one. The total number is not as important to me as the rate. What % of the time has he done this compared to others. Because we all agreed in a similar thread a couple of weeks ago that it sure seems the cowboys are in these situations more than other teams.

And you can't deny that he has the most comebacks as anyone also. So what this tells me is that the cowboys tend to win in dramatic fashion or they lose in dramatic fashion.

Again, at what rate do QBs fail is the key here. We all know Tonys had plenty of meltdown moments, but does he do it at a higher rate than others. Do other teams put the ball in their QBs hands in high leverage situations as much as the cowboys.

Quote: "Tony Romo has now thrown the most 4th-quarter interceptions this season when the score is within five points. Romo joined Geno Smith (did it in Week 2 vs NE) as the only quarterbacks to throw multiple 4th-quarter interceptions in the same game when the score is within five points this season."

Read the research notes on the bottom right side of the page. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331215006

Did you notice who has 3? That's right Brady ! If romo is close to Brady in failure rate, I'll take that.

Roughneck93
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
According to sources, Scott Linehan hired as passing game coordinator and will be the play-caller.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10361216/dallas-cowboys-hire-scott-linehan-call-offensive-plays

Old Tiger
01-28-2014, 12:48 AM
According to sources, Scott Linehan hired as passing game coordinator and will be the play-caller.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10361216/dallas-cowboys-hire-scott-linehan-call-offensive-playsIsn't the problem that they passed too much?

teetle
01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Jerrys needses to puts a windows ins hises stomaches soes hes cans sees out whens hes hases hises head ups his arse. thats whats hee bes needings to does.:hairpunk::bigcry::bigcry::tongue:

coach
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Jerrys needses to puts a windows ins hises stomaches soes hes cans sees out whens hes hases hises head ups his arse. thats whats hee bes needings to does.:hairpunk::bigcry::bigcry::tongue:

This shitis getting really old.

Roughneck93
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Rod Marinelli promoted to defensive coordinator.

Kiffin named assistant head coach/defense.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10367651/monte-kiffin-loses-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator-title-rod-marinelli

Old Tiger
01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Rod Marinelli promoted to defensive coordinator.

Kiffin named assistant head coach/defense.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10367651/monte-kiffin-loses-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator-title-rod-marinelli
the joke that keeps writing itself

teetle
01-29-2014, 09:18 AM
This shitis getting really old. Maybes yous needes to does thes sames thing,:tongue::bigcry::bigcry::tongue:

Bleed orange
01-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Until Jerry is taking a dirt nap Cowboy fans will have to continue to deal with this BS.

refereedoc
01-29-2014, 10:02 AM
The question after 17 years of mediocrity is does anyone Really care? It is usually comedy relief every Sunday watching Jerry and company in the suite jump up and down and then deflate when they blow it at the end.

Rabid Cougar
01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
17 long years.. No wonder my boys are not Cowboy fans. They think they are a joke.

refereedoc
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
From the DMN today
Garrett assembled his first staff as head coach in 2011. Only two position coaches remain in place three years later. Name them?
Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson and linebackers coach Matt Eberflus.
Linehan is the 12th assistant coach hired by the Cowboys in the last two years. The team enters 2014 with its third different offensive play-caller and third different defensive play-caller in three seasons. Cleveland is the only other franchise to make that claim.
Feel better?