PDA

View Full Version : ESPN writer bashes Aledo

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2013, 12:01 PM
This is an excerpt from Gregg Easterbrook's article that is the top story on ESPN right now.....

Several big-division Texas high schools this season averaged more than 50 points per game; Aledo High posted 64 points per game. Some of the results stemmed from the kind of extreme mismatches that can occur in prep competition. Some stemmed from bad sportsmanship. Aledo generated stats by beating up on mismatched opponents, winning a game 91-0 and twice by 84-7, all these contests versus weak teams. The 91-0 victory came over a school that finished 0-10: leading 77-0 in the fourth quarter, Aledo kept trying to score. Aledo High's players, coaches, boosters and principal should feel ashamed of setting such a poor example.

The article's about how Texas High School Football has altered the way offenses play in the modern era.

If I had to bet this idiot didn't watch one Aledo football game all year long. He's from New York, I'm not sure where he resides now.

eagles_victory
12-24-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm on the fence on this if you are up 77 to 0 why are you still really trying to score?

eagles_victory
12-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Don't say they couldn't not score because Fairfield did it a lot all this year in the second half of games there are ways to call plays and put people in where you won't score so easily.

Emerson1
12-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Don't say they couldn't not score because Fairfield did it a lot all this year in the second half of games there are ways to call plays and put people in where you won't score so easily.
I doubt Fairfield's 3rd string was still 10 times better than some of the teams' starters that y'all played. Aledo's 3rd string could have started that game and still won.

Tejastrue
12-24-2013, 12:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/tmq122413/how-nfl-scoring-uptick-explained-texas-high-school-football

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Stupid article. So what about year round baseball and basketball??????

cougartino
12-24-2013, 01:07 PM
F that dude! If you don't want Aledo scoring, then stop 'em. They put up 69 on us in the 2010 title game but we didn't whine about it. We took our arse whooping and moved on. ESPN needs a new hobby.

toddg
12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
i guess he was trying to dimenish Aledo's shattering of the national scoring record....what a punk!!

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
F that dude! If you don't want Aledo scoring, then stop 'em. They put up 69 on us in the 2010 title game but we didn't whine about it. We took our arse whooping and moved on. ESPN needs a new hobby.

Exactly, he's not going to just kneel the ball every time the snap it and embarrass them even more. That Aledo team might have beaten Allen this year and I'm not kidding.
You can't expect put the second and third string kids in there and tell them, "hey take it easy, don't play hard and score."

hollywood
12-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Agree with all the above. Only in HS football are teams accused of running up the score. Any other sports it's just part of the game. Grow some cahonies and man up!

Manso/V8
12-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Cable news outlets and espn try to create news and that is what Easterbrook is doing. He complains about too much football for kids, but is coaching a PeeWee team that has been playing since August.

He also claims that throwing a football too much can lead to arm injuries.
I see that in baseball, but I am not aware of overuse injuries from throwing a football.

Old Tiger
12-25-2013, 01:26 AM
National guy pulling stuff out his ass for an article and not doing research.

cougartino
12-25-2013, 01:32 AM
National guy pulling stuff out his ass for an article and not doing research.

Sounds like the quintessential definition of assclown and asshat.

Lucky2Coach
12-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Exactly, he's not going to just kneel the ball every time the snap it and embarrass them even more. That Aledo team might have beaten Allen this year and I'm not kidding.
You can't expect put the second and third string kids in there and tell them, "hey take it easy, don't play hard and score."

Allen would beat Aledo by 4 or 5 TDs. Aledo is a great team, but athlete to athlete with Allen they don't even come close. Allen and DeSoto are st a different level right now.

YTBulldogs
12-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Allen would beat Aledo by 4 or 5 TDs.
:ditto:

Emerson1
12-25-2013, 10:51 PM
TexasHSfootball wrote a counter article and has been tweeting the guy. ESPN guy's responses have been just as bad as the article was.

Trashman
12-26-2013, 10:55 AM
The writer of that article is an idiot of the highest order....He should be covering dodge ball in the elementary schools. smh

HEMOTOXIC
12-26-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure about them beating Allen. After all, the score was only 17-3 going into the 4th versus Brenham. I don't see them beating Allen, Katy, Cedar Hill, nor Desoto just to name a few.