PDA

View Full Version : "Sensationalism doesn't match the science"

Heffelfinger
12-24-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/12/24/Study%20Youth%20Football%20Brains

I know from personal experience this was true for me.

Manso/V8
12-24-2013, 01:24 PM
i don't remember any significant PeeWee football injuries other than normal things that kids playing anything will get.
At that age they really aren't big enough or fast enough get hurt, especially with pads and helmets.

Heffelfinger
12-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I never saw a "bad" injury playing football, from 3rd grade YMCA to varsity. The worst thing that happened to me in pee-wee was falling on a football and knocking the wind out of me.

Aesculus gilmus
12-25-2013, 11:45 AM
I never saw a "bad" injury playing football, from 3rd grade YMCA to varsity. The worst thing that happened to me in pee-wee was falling on a football and knocking the wind out of me.

I had to be taken to the hospital as a precautonary measure after being blindsided and concussed on the appropriately named "suicide squad" covering the kickoff during an eighth grade game against Daingerfield 40 years ago.

I now believe this has caused all the problems I have encountered during my adult life. I would join the class action lawsuit if only I had enough brain cells left to figure out how.

It was "helmet to helmet" contact as well, so I am asking also that the player who did that be penalized and thrown out of the game also. This can be done by declaring the game a win for us via forfeit.

Rabid Cougar
12-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I saw a broken finger and a broken arm in 12 years of coaching peewee football. Saw more injuries in kids player soccer during that same time period/age groups.

Gone Fishing
12-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I coached youth football for 5 years while my son was coming up. He started at 8 until Jr Hi and then I got the heck out of the way and went to the stands. lol. We had 8 games a season in youth plus the playoffs and I always watched several other games the day we played. I saw no more injuries than a school yard play ground would have. I'm sure it can happen, but I coached and ref'ed basketball and coached and umpired Little League for 7 or 8 years and I saw more serious of injury's there. Those little guys with big ol pads on and helmets are not hurting much except their pride sometimes when they get their butt knocked over.

Rabid Cougar
12-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I saw a broken finger and a broken arm in 12 years of coaching peewee football. Saw more injuries in kids player soccer during that same time period/age groups.

High school and college... that's another story. Football is a violent game and the human body is not ment to be treated the way it is in this game. From my own injuries in high school and college and witnessing the injuries to my teammates to watching my own two boys (4 knee and two shoulder surgeries) it is not game for the feint of heart.

You just watch and pray they get up every play and are very thankful they are just sore afterwards.