PDA

View Full Version : Public vs Private Schools

Bullaholic
12-23-2013, 12:08 PM
How big of a factor do you believe that private schools have become in athletic completion and recruiting. It seems that due to the affluence of many communities that the real possibility of upper income individuals creating their own schools, hand-picked athletic teams, and coaches has become a reality. I wonder if/how much this trend will grow.

Aesculus gilmus
12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
How big of a factor do you believe that private schools have become in athletic completion and recruiting. It seems that due to the affluence of many communities that the real possibility of upper income individuals creating their own schools, hand-picked athletic teams, and coaches has become a reality. I wonder if/how much this trend will grow.

I think we are witnessing the last decades of the public school system in this state. It is too incendiary a topic to discuss on a board which tries to stay free of politics. I can already see the lack of support for public schools in my own community compared to what it was a generation or two ago.

As I said on here last week, eventually we may all have to become TAPPS fans.

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2013, 12:40 PM
I've always considered TAPPS a joke. I think Texas is one of the only state's left where the public schools are the real deal in high school sports and private school's aren't considered to be truly the elite talent.

Being from Waco, Waco Reicher was always winning state championships when I was in high school. One of the years they won state , their closest game was against La Vega, who Reicher defeated on a last second FG. That La Vega team went 0-10 that season.

I consider TAPPS to be an absolute joke compared to the public schools and the level of competition.

I hope it never comes to this but I'm a realist and it's inevitable.

toddg
12-23-2013, 12:54 PM
some of these private schools are extremely serious about sports, which means they are ernestly recruiting athletes all over the state..and you can bet they want the oppurtunity to compete for the SCs with the big boys...that day is coming

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
some of these private schools are extremely serious about sports, which means they are ernestly recruiting athletes all over the state..and you can bet they want the oppurtunity to compete for the SCs with the big boys...that day is coming

Yeah, only a matter of time. There will be a Texas version of Evangel Christian LA. before we know it.

Celina8
12-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Look at what happened with Triple A Academy in basketball the also look at All Saints over in Fort Worth which I think has over 7 or D1 prospects that played on their team this year. Texas State Senator Dan Patrick is pushing hard to have private schools compete in all UIL Events.

Bullaholic
12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I think we are witnessing the last decades of the public school system in this state. It is too incendiary a topic to discuss on a board which tries to stay free of politics. I can already see the lack of support for public schools in my own community compared to what it was a generation or two ago.

As I said on here last week, eventually we may all have to become TAPPS fans.

I agree that this issue is very contentious in political circles, but I am interested in everyone's opinions on the future of the athletic impacts of private schools and not the religious or political issues.

Aesculus gilmus
12-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I agree that this issue is very contentious in political circles, but I am interested in everyone's opinions on the future of the athletic impacts of private schools and not the religious or political issues.

It is not fair to allow private schools into the UIL unless they give up recruiting. But they're not going to give up recruiting. And it'd take more resources to police it than the state is willing to spend.

I think we are moving into the worst of all possible worlds with the private schools using their big bucks to buy their way into the UIL (which will eventually, de facto, be another branch of TAPPS once public schools are destroyed) and yet being able to play by their own different rule$.

Money talks. BS walks. Coming to a Friday night near you.

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I've always considered TAPPS a joke. I think Texas is one of the only state's left where the public schools are the real deal in high school sports and private school's aren't considered to be truly the elite talent.

Being from Waco, Waco Reicher was always winning state championships when I was in high school. One of the years they won state , their closest game was against La Vega, who Reicher defeated on a last second FG. That La Vega team went 0-10 that season.

I consider TAPPS to be an absolute joke compared to the public schools and the level of competition.

I hope it never comes to this but I'm a realist and it's inevitable.

There are more TAPPS and private schools that could compete right now in UIL than I think you realize...ask Henderson and Gilmer about Prestonwood Academy ..plus Dallas Jesuit has not be a slouch in UIL since they entered

Bullaholic
12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
I think the real problems will start when these emerging private schools are successful in attracting a reasonable number of the blue chip players to play together on teams with promises of athletic connections at the next level and of course, the promise of the notice that will come when titles are won, especially against UIL teams. Not all of these private schools will make the same mistakes that Deion Sanders has with Prime Time Prep.

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I think the real problems will start when these emerging private schools are successful in attracting a reasonable number of the blue chip players to play together on teams with promises of athletic connections at the next level and of course, the promise of the notice that will come when titles are won, especially against UIL teams. Not all of these private schools will make the same mistakes that Deion Sanders has with Prime Time Prep.

Prime Time is not a private school..it is a charter school that is public

Trashman
12-23-2013, 06:16 PM
It's just a matter of time before the private schools take over the UIL.....There is no way the UIL can stop the recruiting. Look at DIII college football. It is supposed to be non-scholarship, but it is anything but.......

Manso/V8
12-23-2013, 09:08 PM
It's just a matter of time before the private schools take over the UIL.....There is no way the UIL can stop the recruiting. Look at DIII college football. It is supposed to be non-scholarship, but it is anything but.......

What do you mean, DIII football isn't non-scholarship?
My understanding is that they try to give enough academic scholarship or need based aid to make the cost of attendance equivalent to a state college.
Almost DIII schools are private and the tuition is expensive.

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2013, 09:20 AM
If you want to become California,Louisiana and Ohio,probably several more states that is church/private schools already dominate, go for it. It ruins all things that are good about high school football. The big, affluent schools are doing a bang up job of it as it is....

Aesculus gilmus
12-24-2013, 09:54 AM
If you want to become California,Louisiana and Ohio,probably several more states that is church/private schools already dominate, go for it. It ruins all things that are good about high school football. The big, affluent schools are doing a bang up job of it as it is....

What's amazing, given the political climate of Texas, is that public schools even still exist. The mantra here is always "privatization."

Trashman
12-24-2013, 09:55 AM
What's amazing, given the political climate of Texas, is that public schools even still exist. The mantra here is always "privatization."

No kidding.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Heffelfinger
12-24-2013, 11:08 AM
It (the prevalence and relevance of private schools) won't be the end of the world as we know it. It will be different for sure in some areas, but other areas won't be affected so much.

Competition is what we should be after, on the field and in the school systems.

I have been a part of both, as a student and a professional, at the secondary and undergraduate level, and I can tell you this - the kids are the same. They want to improve their lives, they want to compete. They want to win and be the best at what they do (most of them anyway).

Aesculus gilmus
12-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Athletically, it WILL be the end of the world as we know it and that's because of the recruiting issue.

The only way this wouldn't be the end would be if the UIL let public schools recruit, because the UIL is not ever going to be capable of enforcing anti-recruiting rules on its future private and parochial school members.

I also am looking forward to watching to see how all the inner-city and rural parents pay the $16k-a-year per student tuition to their local equivalent of Prestonwood. This ought to be very entertaining.

This is an oncoming train wreck - where 21st Century ideology meets the 1876 Texas Constitution and its mandate of "an efficient system of public free schools" in Article 7.

Bullaholic
12-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Athletically, it WILL be the end of the world as we know it and that's because of the recruiting issue.

The only way this wouldn't be the end would be if the UIL let public schools recruit, because the UIL is not ever going to be capable of enforcing anti-recruiting rules on its future private and parochial school members.

I also am looking forward to watching to see how all the inner-city and rural parents pay the $16k-a-year per student tuition to their local equivalent of Prestonwood. This ought to be very entertaining.

This is an oncoming train wreck - where 21st Century ideology meets the 1876 Texas Constitution and its mandate of "an efficient system of public free schools" in Article 7.

I wonder if private schools will grant scholarships to secure certain athletes, Agil. Now that would really sink the ship.

Heffelfinger
12-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Private schools already grant scholarships to athletes.