PDA

View Full Version : Eyewitness HS Playoff Reports

Bullaholic
12-23-2013, 10:38 AM
For those of you who attended any playoff games at AT&T Stadium--What were your impressions of the location, format, fans, food, games, or anything else you would like to mention? What did you like most/least?

For those viewing on TV---your comments on the coverage.

For those listening on radio/stream---your comments on the quality, etc.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I attended all day Thursday ( Cameron Yoemen State Champions! Go oYe!) and all day Saturday.

I really enjoyed it. I knew exactly where I wanted to sit and how the operation works in order to get to those sets on the lower ring for the Cameron game. I really like how the towns/ schools work together to allow the fans of the team playing to get to the lower ring. I watched the other games from the second ring and then the third ring all day Saturday. Just have to wait for enough people to get there to force them to open it up.

The venue and fromat is perfect. It allows a casual fan to enjoy all the games and not pick and choose which game you want to drive and see missing all the rest.

The prices of the food is pretty overboard. It is what it is and really don't have a complaint.... other than when the fan next to me sits down with a mess of Nachos with peppers... then it is just pure torture. I swore I was not going to spend that kind of money on nachos....

I really have no complaints. The boys and I had a really good time and saw lots of good football.

The video board showing the fans during time outs was nearly worth the price of admission by itself.

Matthew328
12-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I attended all day Thursday ( Cameron Yoemen State Champions! Go oYe!) and all day Saturday.

I really enjoyed it. I knew exactly where I wanted to sit and how the operation works in order to get to those sets on the lower ring for the Cameron game. I really like how the towns/ schools work together to allow the fans of the team playing to get to the lower ring. I watched the other games from the second ring and then the third ring all day Saturday. Just have to wait for enough people to get there to force them to open it up.

The venue and fromat is perfect. It allows a casual fan to enjoy all the games and not pick and choose which game you want to drive and see missing all the rest.

The prices of the food is pretty overboard. It is what it is and really don't have a complaint.... other than when the fan next to me sits down with a mess of Nachos with peppers... then it is just pure torture. I swore I was not going to spend that kind of money on nachos....

I really have no complaints. The boys and I had a really good time and saw lots of good football.

The video board showing the fans during time outs was nearly worth the price of admission by itself.

The video board is awesome...some high comedy on that thing...

I tell people to show up with a full stomach.....if you can smuggle some snacks in great...

Sweetwater Red
12-23-2013, 11:30 AM

You nailed, especially with the last comment.

Emerson1
12-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I was there all day Friday for the 4th year in a row.

Location - Don't ever move it. Houston sucks.
Format - It would be cool if they could have squeezed the 6 man games in Thursday for Friday morning. They would have to come up with a way to remove the temporary lines for the smaller field so logistically it would probably be a big pain.
Fans - I didn't see any fights so that was disappointing.
Food - Food prices for as much as people freak out about them is no more expensive than what you get at a restaurant and it's all restaurant quality food. Look at the price of nachos with some kind of meat on them next time you eat out. It's 3 times the price of your home stadium, but it's 10 times better quality than most places.
Water - Now this is ridiculous. $5 for a bottle is pretty absurd. Glad it's easy to sneak stuff in though.
Video board - Sitting on the 5 yard line like I was it was nice to be able to see what was happening on the other end of the field. The choice of music during stoppage of play was funny. I have a playlist called "strip club" and at least three songs from it were played...

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I went for the Aledo and Allen games on saturday and had a great time. It was my first experience of the state championship extravaganza at AT&T Stadium.

I really like how it's just back to back to back games, I think it's truly the ultimate High School football fan experience. I had a chicken tender basket and thought it was great. Obviously the $15 price tag for food and a soda isn't awesome but I wasn't expecting it to be less.

Fans were awesome, especially during the record breaking Allen crowd. I got there in the middle of the Aledo game and so I got a great seat for the Eagles game. However, after the Aledo game I noticed a lot of the Aledo fans weren't leaving the lower ring which caused the Allen faithful to be let in a lot later than the Pearland fans.

Only complaint is, is that a family sat behind me and my friends and they had a son who was probably 5 years or younger and he kept kicking my chair, I noted it to the father and he was just a real douche about it.

The Brenham fans were not very classy, at least the ones I was near, but really, what were they expecting the outcome to be?

The video board was awesome. Like Cougar said above, the showing of fans was easily worth my $15. I also really liked the musical selections the stadium played.

Would have been nice to get a beer, I realize why they can't but I should've tailgated with the Allen fans I parked next too who were playing beer pong in the parking lot.

BTW, I don't think I've seen a qb make it look as easy as Kyler Murray did Saturday. Kid is legit.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I attended all 10 games and I'm missing HS football already. Loved everything about the state games being played as it was this year. Would like one year, they add another round, and D1 winners face D2 winners, and we have a real state champ.

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I attended all 10 games and I'm missing HS football already. Loved everything about the state games being played as it was this year. Would like one year, they add another round, and D1 winners face D2 winners, and we have a real state champ.

I've always wondered why they wouldn't do that. It would bring in a ton of money.

Emerson1
12-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I've always wondered why they wouldn't do that. It would bring in a ton of money.

To realistically do that you would have to cut out a round of the playoffs or start the season a week earlier. No way they extend the season into 2014 which is what you would have to do because there is no way they could have games coming up this weekend with Christmas in the middle of the week.

You should have just stood up and blocked their view. The kicking would have stopped pretty fast.

A tip for everyone next time. You get free refills on the popcorn buckets and drink refills are $3 if you go back to the stand you bought it from.

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2013, 12:35 PM
To realistically do that you would have to cut out a round of the playoffs or start the season a week earlier. No way they extend the season into 2014 which is what you would have to do because there is no way they could have games coming up this weekend with Christmas in the middle of the week.

I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, but they already play during the week of Thanksgiving. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but I can see where many people consider Christmas as a no way you're going to let your kid go to practice. My parents used to get pissed when I had practice on Thanksgiving.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 12:45 PM
I heard chatter is being done already within UIL to have 1's play 2's. But, no games would ever happen any further then this past weekend (past Xmas). Could start earlier at start of season or something in regards to dropping a round. I have no idea what they mean by this (dropping a round). No time frame was mentioned when this could happen, if at all.

toddg
12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
I heard chatter is being done already within UIL to have 1's play 2's. But, no games would ever happen any further then this past weekend (past Xmas). Could start earlier at start of season or something in regards to dropping a round. I have no idea what they mean by this (dropping a round). No time frame was mentioned when this could happen, if at all.

they interviewed the UIL president on fox..he stated there is noway they add an extra game to the season, and that playing that game would deminish the SC that the teams already won...pretty much saying it is not being seriously considered.

Matthew328
12-23-2013, 01:18 PM
they interviewed the UIL president on fox..he stated there is noway they add an extra game to the season, and that playing that game would deminish the SC that the teams already won...pretty much saying it is not being seriously considered.

They tried this in basketball for a couple of years and it was a colossal failure. It won't happen

toddg
12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
They tried this in basketball for a couple of years and it was a colossal failure. It won't happen
its a great debate topic, but thats probably where it should stay.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 01:45 PM
its a great debate topic, but thats probably where it should stay.

BB is not football. It will happen someday.

toddg
12-23-2013, 02:04 PM
BB is not football. It will happen someday.
it goes against the whole split division concept..so for it to happen, we would have to have 1a-10a..hey, we'd be just like florida!!

BwdLion73
12-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I did the TV this year. DVR can be a wonderful thing. I was happy with the quality of the broadcast picture & while we're all monday morning broadcasters I thought they kept it pretty interesting. I enjoyed watching the players craning their necks to watch the big screen.
I kept waiting for a shot of the miller lite sign in the endzone area to spot 3adownlow lurkers.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 02:16 PM
UIL will follow the $$$$$. Think a Carthage/Argyle match up would draw a crowd this weekend?

I was told by PC from UIL, they needed this past weekend at Jerry's World to bail out those two week's attendance figures from when the weather was so cold and game's were moved.

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree with MAtt...it sounds great but would not be as interesting as you think..BB tried it like he said and half the time the teams were just not into it and you could tell

Emerson1
12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree with MAtt...it sounds great but would not be as interesting as you think..BB tried it like he said and half the time the teams were just not into it and you could tell
But was it 5A playing 4/3/2/1A or was there a 5A D1 champ playing the 5A DII champ? I could see why a 5A team wouldn't care about playing a team from the class below them.

It may not have made since this year since Allen and Cedar Hill had played already, but you don't think Allen and Katy would have wanted to have a go at it last year? I think for it to realistically happen a round would have to but cut and the match up would still have to be the 16th game as opposed to tacking on to a 17th after Christmas. Which is never going to happen anyways.

Bullaholic
12-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I'd go one step further in this debate to make true class SC's. Do away with the Divisions. Make everything distinct classifications from maybe like 12A on down to 6-man. Now that the UIL is going to like-Division only districts---why not?

GrTigers6
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
I'd go one step further in this debate to make true class SC's. Do away with the Divisions. Make everything distinct classifications from maybe like 12A on down to 6-man. Now that the UIL is going to like-Division only districts---why not?

How would that e any different than what we have now other than the numbers? I think that all classifications should be divided before the playoffs and then you wouldn't have a debate of who would have won if this school would have gone D1 instead of D2. or vice versa. That way whether or not they do it like they do in 3A and under or like Bullaholic suggested it wouldn't matter