PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a big fan of all the games in one central location anymore

ctown81
12-21-2013, 09:19 AM
This is all just my opinion, but as I watched Carthage win the title and the post games festivities, everything seemed forced and hurried. Their goal was to get everyone off the field in time for the next game which makes perfect sense. Just miss the days where the winning fans could join the team on the field, pose for pictures and the town can celebrate while the losing team can be consoled by their families.

As a fan of high school football, seeing all the games in one location is GREAT, but I just think it takes away from the overall experience.

With all that being said, the in game experience with the music and the team theme songs was off da hook.

cougartino
12-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Too much Jone$. I did like the way he booed with introduced.

Rabid Cougar
12-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Notice he only did it once. He was not there for the last two games yesterday.

Emerson1
12-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Notice he only did it once. He was not there for the last two games yesterday.

When did the Cowboys leave for the game?

Gone Fishing
12-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I think it is the greatest thing, especially being played at "Jerry's World"... The memories of that day is something our players, parents, fans and community will always remember!!! I am a parent of the 2011 game vs Argyle and from the time our buses got there and drove right under the stadium till the last second was a chance of a life time. The time on the field after winning might have been short lived, but we were able to meet the players up on the second floor behind the stands in a big area and hug all the players and coaches and take many pictures and see the trophies and all the medals etc. There was many of our fans that stayed and did that and of course all the parents, cheerleaders, band , etc. too. We were there a good hour after they came out of locker room before the boys headed out to go eat victory meal. Again I think it is amazing UIL can pull this off with minimal problems. I'm all for it.....

2muchOffense
12-21-2013, 12:48 PM
This is kinda two sided for me. Last year we played a week early and when we won, our team stayed on the field for a long time to soak it up. There was no rush. That was great but it would have been great to be able to stay and watch the other games and to have other fans have an opportunity to watch our team. However Jerry World is second to none.

Aesculus gilmus
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
AT&T paid a lot of money to have that stadium called by its proper name, and the unmentionable and justifiably booed owner of the Cowboys negotiated that agreement, so I am always going to call it AT&T Stadium.

I don't really like all games being there either, but I highly doubt if we'll ever go back to the way it was. The least the UIL could do would be at least to occasionally to rotate it to the other domed stadiums in the state.

CP3Dad
12-21-2013, 04:22 PM
UIL: Please add heights and weights to programs....need to know how big those big olé boys are....no other complaints.

PhiI C
12-21-2013, 07:33 PM
It is having the small schools having to play on Thursday that is unfair. Less preparation time and healing from injuries time. It's all about money.

buckeyebob
12-22-2013, 09:28 AM
This is all just my opinion, but as I watched Carthage win the title and the post games festivities, everything seemed forced and hurried. Their goal was to get everyone off the field in time for the next game which makes perfect sense. Just miss the days where the winning fans could join the team on the field, pose for pictures and the town can celebrate while the losing team can be consoled by their families.

As a fan of high school football, seeing all the games in one location is GREAT, but I just think it takes away from the overall experience.

With all that being said, the in game experience with the music and the team theme songs was off da hook.

The day of the fan on the field has basically disappeared...there are more & more fields that do not allow it...not sure why...my favorite is "fans damage that field"...cleats & rough housing boys...makes sense.

Aggie98
12-22-2013, 10:51 AM
We didn't get to see our boys after the game until they got back to the field house in Kilgore. That's probably the only thing I didn't like about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Matthew328
12-22-2013, 04:55 PM
It is having the small schools having to play on Thursday that is unfair. Less preparation time and healing from injuries time. It's all about money.

This is not entirely true, the UIL set up the small schools to play on Friday/Sat at an alternate site (Mansfield in 2010). The small schools asked to play at AT&T, the UIL told them ahead of time they'd play on Thursday's and the small schools still wanted it.

jason
12-22-2013, 04:58 PM
This is not entirely true, the UIL set up the small schools to play on Friday/Sat at an alternate site (Mansfield in 2010). The small schools asked to play at AT&T, the UIL told them ahead of time they'd play on Thursday's and the small schools still wanted it.
do the schools that play thurs get a cut of the fri/sat gate $ and the fri schools get part of sat $ or is it just the money from the day you play?

Matthew328
12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
do the schools that play thurs get a cut of the fri/sat gate $ and the fri schools get part of sat $ or is it just the money from the day you play?

Only from the day you played on

Yoe_09
12-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I have no problem with the scheduling. I love AT&T Stadium, but I do believe it needs to be rotated.

speedbump
12-22-2013, 05:57 PM

I wonder how they would have voted if another choice would have been Reliant on Friday and Sat. That may be the case from now on. Maybe they will do all D1 games at ATT and all D2 at Reliant and rotate that from now on.

Matthew328
12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I wonder how they would have voted if another choice would have been Reliant on Friday and Sat. That may be the case from now on. Maybe they will do all D1 games at ATT and all D2 at Reliant and rotate that from now on.

Thats a great idea...I'm thinking attendance would be down somewhat regardless if its at Reliant..BUT until the UIL tries it there we'll never know

Emerson1
12-22-2013, 08:34 PM
This event at the Alamdome seems like it would be a cluster...

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I have no problem with the scheduling. I love AT&T Stadium, but I do believe it needs to be rotated.

I prefer the Death Star. I can make all the games from Waco. Easy to get to even with I-35 torn to hell. Not easy to get to Reliant.

Aesculus gilmus
12-23-2013, 08:24 AM
I prefer the Death Star. I can make all the games from Waco. Easy to get to even with I-35 torn to hell. Not easy to get to Reliant.

I've never been to Reliant, but if I ever do, driving there from where I am up north, I think I'd just park at this Metro station and take the new light rail option down there.
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9354893&rss=rss-ktrk-article-9354893

bigwood33
12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
This event at the Alamdome seems like it would be a cluster...
I don' t think the Alamo Dome has the necessary locker room space. I am pretty sure that they only have 2 locker rooms and you almost have to have 4, one each for the teams on the field and one each for the next game. Also, the restroom situation there is poor. Reliant is a different story but that is a grass field. I know that they are going to add field turf, in sections, but I would have to be convinced that it will work and not be a potential for injuries because of the seams.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I don' t think the Alamo Dome has the necessary locker room space. I am pretty sure that they only have 2 locker rooms and you almost have to have 4, one each for the teams on the field and one each for the next game. Also, the restroom situation there is poor. Reliant is a different story but that is a grass field. I know that they are going to add field turf, in sections, but I would have to be convinced that it will work and not be a potential for injuries because of the seams.

Alamodome has four locker rooms as I recall from prior HEB Dave Campbell "Kickoff Classic's" held there. Just needs a face lift, bigger boards, etc. It's no AT&T or Reliant for sure.

pirate4state
12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
I love it being at AT&T Stadium and having just been at Reliant for the semi-finals games the week before -- it does not compare! It doesn't need to be on rotation, IMO :)

It is something I look forward to every year! My ONLY pet peeve is that the national anthem is played BEFORE the players on the field.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 01:02 PM
I love it being at AT&T Stadium and having just been at Reliant for the semi-finals games the week before -- it does not compare! It doesn't need to be on rotation, IMO :)

It is something I look forward to every year! My ONLY pet peeve is that the national anthem is played BEFORE the players on the field.
:ditto:

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
It is going to be hard to replicate what At&T Stadium does..and I would hate if they split up the divisions to separate places, I think attendance would suffer greatly

pirate4state
12-23-2013, 03:30 PM
It is going to be hard to replicate what At&T Stadium does..and I would hate if they split up the divisions to separate places, I think attendance would suffer greatly

I still can't believe YOU don't go smh

HEMOTOXIC
12-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Astro turf is an option at Reliant for high school games. They've already started using it this year.

speedbump
12-23-2013, 04:14 PM

How does it not compare? Is the field a different size? Will Reliant not hold enough fans?

pirate4state
12-23-2013, 04:24 PM
How does it not compare? Is the field a different size? Will Reliant not hold enough fans?

It just doesn't. I did not walk into Reliant Stadium and ooooh & awww over it like I do EVERY year at AT&T Stadium.

You know darn well the field is the same size. It has enough room to hold the fans, but I don't know if it will have the same draw.

Also, it stinks! Oh and the video board that is supposedly bigger than the one at AT&T is littered with advertising so the actual screen that is used for replays does not compare.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh and the video board that is supposedly bigger than the one at AT&T is littered with advertising so the actual screen that is used for replays does not compare.

Make's it look smaller IMO with all the clutter on it.

Roughneck93
12-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Would love for Reliant to get shot at hosting one day...

pirate4state
12-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Would love for Reliant to get shot at hosting one day...

and I understand why since it would be in your back yard. it is also closer for me, but i don't mind the yearly trek to Arlington. I lived in the metro-mess for almost 10 years so I'm happy to visit at least once a year. :)

duckhunter
12-23-2013, 06:57 PM
and I understand why since it would be in your back yard. it is also closer for me, but i don't mind the yearly trek to Arlington. I lived in the metro-mess for almost 10 years so I'm happy to visit at least once a year. :)

Houston>Dallas

Matthew328
12-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Houston>Dallas

Lets not turn it into a city pissing match lol.....plenty to do at both sites and plenty of hotels....

Scoop27
12-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Houston citizens are not much of high school football fans but they would drive from Victoria and all points East West, North and South

jason
12-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Houston>Dallas
arlington>dallas>houston

speedbump
12-23-2013, 10:57 PM
It just doesn't. I did not walk into Reliant Stadium and ooooh & awww over it like I do EVERY year at AT&T Stadium.

You know darn well the field is the same size. It has enough room to hold the fans, but I don't know if it will have the same draw.

Also, it stinks! Oh and the video board that is supposedly bigger than the one at AT&T is littered with advertising so the actual screen that is used for replays does not compare.

It seems you are more into the carnival atmosphere than the games. As far as the draw, I guarantee you fans would come. I'd like to see if Stephenville would bring as many to Houston as EC did to Dallas or if Stamford would have the support Shiner had for a 10 AM game on a Thurs. if they had that drive. Not rotating the games to other cities is just BS. plain and simple. This is suppose to be about the kids , the fans and the games, not who's got the biggest and best video screen. I've got a tv to stare at if that's what it's about and I don't have to drive 400 miles to stare at it.

Matthew328
12-23-2013, 11:15 PM
generally speaking in 5A/4A the matchups will be DFW vs Houston...you'll get your Austin/San Antonio teams mixed in but at the large school level its a wash..

Where you really gotta look at the matchups is 1A, 2A, 3A....does it make more sense for Arlington or Houston...

Let's look at this year's games....

Kilgore-Carthage: Arlington closer to both than Houston
Argyle-Fairfield: def more sense to be in Arlington
Yoe-Wall: see above
Cisco-Refugio: Arlington vs. Houston essentially would be a home neutral flip...Arlington is to Cisco as Houston is to Refugio
Stamford-Shiner: see above
Wellington-Falls City: Arlington is actually a decent neutral site

Look at last year
Stephenville-El Campo: see Refugio-Cisco
Navasota-Gilmer: Arlington more sense than Houston
Yoe-Daingerfield: Arlington or Houston would be good neutral venues
Stamford-Mart: Arlington more sense than Houston
Tenaha-Munday: Arlington is better for Munday for sure, Houston would be more of a home neutral for Tenaha

So just taking the last two years, is it better for the kids as a whole to go to Arlington or Houston? If we are gonna do a single site, Arlington probably makes more sense for more matchups than Houston because its more centrally located....but hey lets get it to Houston just to see...if the crowds are small, then the wondering and complaining can stop...if the crowds are similar then my guess is we get the rotation

jason
12-23-2013, 11:47 PM
I realize Carthage and kilgore arent aren't far from from Arlington but say two schools really close together like those two were 6-7 hours from the single site predetermined by the uil. Could they just refuse to go and pick somewhere that made more sense?

Old Green
12-24-2013, 08:34 AM
It seems you are more into the carnival atmosphere than the games. As far as the draw, I guarantee you fans would come. I'd like to see if Stephenville would bring as many to Houston as EC did to Dallas or if Stamford would have the support Shiner had for a 10 AM game on a Thurs. if they had that drive. Not rotating the games to other cities is just BS. plain and simple. This is suppose to be about the kids , the fans and the games, not who's got the biggest and best video screen. I've got a tv to stare at if that's what it's about and I don't have to drive 400 miles to stare at it.:ditto::iagree:

Emerson1
12-24-2013, 09:07 AM
It seems you are more into the carnival atmosphere than the games. As far as the draw, I guarantee you fans would come. I'd like to see if Stephenville would bring as many to Houston as EC did to Dallas or if Stamford would have the support Shiner had for a 10 AM game on a Thurs. if they had that drive. Not rotating the games to other cities is just BS. plain and simple. This is suppose to be about the kids , the fans and the games, not who's got the biggest and best video screen. I've got a tv to stare at if that's what it's about and I don't have to drive 400 miles to stare at it.

And 90% of the kids would pick playing in Cowboys stadium over Reliant because the Cowboys are still the king of Texas, and 100% would not give a crap about the Alamodome.

I'm sure the kids are just crying that they get to miss an entire day or two of school and get to go to the game on a charter bus.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2013, 09:30 AM
It's state, and teams don't care where they play. And, I don't care where it's played either, I'm there. Someday, it will be rotated between the dome stadiums IMO. It takes alot of pre-planning though. Due to stadium events already scheduled, pro teams home games, concerts, etc.

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I realize Carthage and kilgore arent aren't far from from Arlington but say two schools really close together like those two were 6-7 hours from the single site predetermined by the uil. Could they just refuse to go and pick somewhere that made more sense?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Emerson1
12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm wondering the same thing.

No. Matt328 mentioned in another thread that it's part of what they agree by being part of the UIL.

j_dog
12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
At first I thought the single site was a stupid idea. But after freezing in four playoff games this year and last; I am 100 percent in favor of the finals being held in a temperature controlled place! :cool: And in a place with some room. When Jasper and Gilmer played at SFA it was so crowded it was a major deal just to make it to the rest rooms. A bad scene in my opinion. If my team makes it to the finals; I would happily drive to Arlington.