PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Football - 5 State Championships.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Crowell, Royalty, Stamford, Wellington, Cisco. Nice!

Mojo84
12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Is Cisco really considered "West Texas"?

toddg
12-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it is

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
:ditto: Royalty -- REALLY WEST Texas.

hollywood
12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Have you ever been there? When a town has mesquite trees, tumble weeds, more dirt that grass and pumpjacks, yeah, it's west Texas. Lol

Trashman
12-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Pretty much anything west of the I-35 corridor....

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Pretty much anything west of the I-35 corridor....

15 miles west of I-35.... I now live in West Texas just 10 miles as the crow flies west of West, Texas.

SouthTexas Lobo
12-20-2013, 06:01 PM
:ditto: Royalty -- REALLY WEST Texas.

Grandfalls Royalty is 18 miles north of Monahans, like Hollywood said nothing but mesquite and sand. Prettiest ugliest place you will ever see. You have to live there to love it, good people

Mojo84
12-21-2013, 01:20 PM
So, is Aledo considered West Texas also?

regaleagle
12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Come on guys....you know where west Texas is. It starts close to Abilene but west of Stephenville. I don't know how Stephenville ever got included in the west Texas grouping....probably just because of the Texas football travel map. But Stephenville in my mind has NEVER been in west Texas, LOL. When I hit Ranger driving west on I-20, then I can say I'm reasonably in the beginnings of the west Texas landscape. Graham to me is really North Texas, just like Vernon, Wichita Falls, Gainesville, and Bridgeport. It's not far out west from the Metroplex.

toddg
12-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Come on guys....you know where west Texas is. It starts close to Abilene but west of Stephenville. I don't know how Stephenville ever got included in the west Texas grouping....probably just because of the Texas football travel map. But Stephenville in my mind has NEVER been in west Texas, LOL. When I hit Ranger driving west on I-20, then I can say I'm reasonably in the beginnings of the west Texas landscape. Graham to me is really North Texas, just like Vernon, Wichita Falls, Gainesville, and Bridgeport. It's not far out west from the Metroplex.

Ft. Worth is the "gateway" to the west..been known for that for over 140 years..so anywhere west of FtW is west Texas.. Take that Regal!! Hahaha!

Dawgs
12-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Can we get a map of West Texas? Sounds like 3/4 of the state. I know people in this board get tired of the ETX talk, but at least we are reasonable. All the schools we claim are within 60 or 70 miles of one another, an most being 30 or 40 from one another.

BwdLion73
12-21-2013, 06:40 PM
It all depends on where you live and how long you've been there. Brownwood is about 23 miles East of the geographical center of Texas. We locals have always considered our friends out in Odessa & Midland as West Texas.

We are sometimes listed as the Crown of the Hill country.
Other times Abilene news calls us the heartland.
Then you hear Waco say they are the heartland or central Tx.

At least we're all Texans! ...Just not the Wimberley kind...but thats another argument.

hollywood
12-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I think of west Texas starting where the brown begins and the green stops, from norh to south. Look at the map the weather man puts up onthe screen. Check it out sometime. Lol

FB-fanatic
12-21-2013, 09:16 PM
85% of Texas population lies on the East side of the I-35 line:

http://txsdc.utsa.edu/Resources/Presentations/OSD/2013/2013_06_05_Health_Care_Transformation_West_Texas.p df

You can't have 85% of the population AND want to try and grab more of the West to help claim superiority...

Eagle Nation
12-22-2013, 12:25 AM
The DFW area ended up with 5 titles also. Smaller area.

JBizzle
12-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Let me look over the list of champions and get back to you on the boundaries of East Texas! :)

toddg
12-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Let me look over the list of champions and get back to you on the boundaries of East Texas! :)
I'll save you the trouble ...uno

bwdlionfan
12-22-2013, 10:05 AM
The DFW area ended up with 5 titles also. Smaller area.

Much smaller area, but probably a lot more schools. I don't think the geographic size of the area really matters.

regaleagle
12-22-2013, 11:26 AM
How about 2 in one county....does that count??? Denton County has 2 SC's out of I don't know how many schools. Can someone look that up and tell us how many hgh schools are in Denton County? I guess we're including TAPPS in that also, huh?

mwrams
12-22-2013, 11:53 AM
How about 2 in one county....does that count??? Denton County has 2 SC's out of I don't know how many schools. Can someone look that up and tell us how many hgh schools are in Denton County? I guess we're including TAPPS in that also, huh?

It really depends on what you consider West Texas...Everything WEST of Fort Worth has actually been cosidered West Texas. However, some consider this to be West of Abilene. I would say everything West of 281 down to Lampassas and North to the Oklahoma line as West Texas...from Childress to Lubbock North the Pan Handle. East of 281 to east Dallas is DFW area. Everything East of there down to Huntsville is East Texas. From Lampassas south to Blanco is Texas hill country Austin included. Waco Killeen area from Brownwood east to 35W is Central Texas. San Antonio east to Victoria and West to Del Rio, South to Willacy County line is South Texas. South of Huntsville to Victoria east to Louisiana line is Texas gulf Coast. From Pecos west is Far West Texas and from Willacy Couty line south west to Rio Grand City is the Rio Grand Valley...