PDA

View Full Version : SLPYBEAR WEEKLY POLL -- WEEK #3 - Do you have to play football to understand it?

slpybear the bullfan
09-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, I enjoyed the threads regarding all the things that go in to making up a good HS Football Game... Player, Band Members, Boosters Clubs, Cheerleaders, etc. Many of the comments I read were from football players and they were distinctly different from the non-player posters' comments.

So, this week's poll question comes from a long-standing debate that will exist as long as Friday Night Lights continue to burn... Do you only truly understand the game by playing it?

Please take the time to come back and post here after you vote. I would love to hear the comments on this topic.

As always, the poll closes before kickoff on Friday.

Now, on to Last week's results. It was a good week for the poll. 35 Downlow members responded to the question, "How do you stop trash talking on the field?" Here is how they voted...

15 folks (43%) Said that the best way to stop trash talking on the field is to AGGRESSIVELY penalize the team with Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. (15 yds for first offense and each thereafter).

8 folks said to go after the individual players with progressive discipline.

2 folks said to combine both of these approaches.

10 folks (nearly 30%) said to forget it. You cannot stop trash talking.

I found it a really interesting mix of voting. I would have guessed most would have wanted the individual approach.

Thanks for voting,

SintonFan
09-07-2003, 11:12 PM
check pm slpy.

slpybear the bullfan
09-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Oh... I did! Disregard my question. That was magnificent friend!!! I forgot how much fun we had last year!

SintonFan
09-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks, last year was cool also. I have a feeling this year will be 'special'. wink
Getting slpy, here. All those endorphins turning off... lol

slpybear the bullfan
09-07-2003, 11:51 PM
SintonFan:
Thanks, last year was cool also. I have a feeling this year will be 'special'. wink
Getting slpy, here. All those endorphins turning off... lolHeh, heh, red faced indeed!

Have a good one...

slpybear the bullfan
09-08-2003, 05:59 PM
btt

sinton66
09-08-2003, 07:58 PM
TTT

Chief Woodman
09-08-2003, 09:00 PM
First let me say I did play football. Having said that, it is not necessary to have played to understand the game, although you might have a better understanding if you did.

After all...I have never been a female bovine...but I understand the process that allows a brown cow to eat green grass and produce white milk and yellow butter.

Having never been a bat, I still understand how they find and catch insects.

I was never the QB, but I understand about progression, and what an audible is.

Maybe the question should be how much better do you understand football if you played the game.....

Wbulldogs
09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
well to truly understand the game i think uhave to play it..cause not very often will somean who never played football understand te emotions of football...yah u might know the rules or what play is what..but u will never get a gip of the true emotions football has

crzyjournalist03
09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
I dunno...I think you can find out a lot about the emotion just by watching the game.

slpybear the bullfan
09-08-2003, 10:14 PM
If you want to know how the game is played, ya gotta be out on the field for several games.

Otherwise, you sit there and say... "Why did he call that play?" or "Geez! Why couldn't the DB just turn around and catch that"

sinton66
09-09-2003, 08:34 PM
ttt

sinton66
09-09-2003, 11:20 PM
ttt helping Slpybear.

sinton66
09-10-2003, 08:58 PM
ttt

Wbulldogs
09-10-2003, 09:10 PM
crzyjournalist03:
I dunno...I think you can find out a lot about the emotion just by watching the game.i dunno bout that...to me all the emotion is out their on the field in the heat of the battle

sinton66
09-11-2003, 10:59 PM
ttt