PDA

View Full Version : You Like Offense or Defense?

Bullaholic
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Seems like from the pros on down the offenses are putting up record scores on the board. In 3A and 4A, we have 2 teams that have, or will set, all-time class scoring records. How do you feel about prolific scoring and shootouts? Anybody out there still like the old days when old-style West Texas defensive battles were common? Seems like nobody watches basic blocking and tackling much anymore---only the flashy plays.

caleb_mccaig
12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Seems like from the pros on down the offenses are putting up record scores on the board. In 3A and 4A, we have 2 teams that have, or will set, all-time class scoring records. How do you feel about prolific scoring and shootouts? Anybody out there still like the old days when old-style West Texas defensive battles were common? Seems like nobody watches basic blocking and tackling much anymore---only the flashy plays.

I hate offensive games. I think defense requires much more skill and I think the NCAA and people protecting offensive players more and more is making defense completely impossible to play.
The NFL has somewhere around 40 something ACL tears this year, that's the most ever. I think the answer is clear, because guys don't wanna be fined or suspended for hitting high. What happens next? Do they ban hitting low too? The way it's going defense will be a complete joke soon enough.

On another note, the SEC is usually really known for defense as we all know, however, the two top ones usually are LSU and Bama and both of those defenses were very young this year. Also, the SEC probably had the best qb's as an entire conference this year that were putting up ridiculous numbers. Michigan State really showed that defense can win you games almost single handedly. They had a terrible offense and only lost one game, probably should have been undefeated if they didn't flop against Notre Dame.

waterboy
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I really enjoy watching a good, strong, lay the wood DEFENSE, but only if it is on my team, lol! In a perfect world, my team would dominate on BOTH sides of the ball... That's such a rare combination nowadays that has become a real pipe dream, but..., a man CAN dream!

Rabid Cougar
12-17-2013, 12:32 PM

The 2013 Army-Navy game was time warped from 1975. There are 2A and 3A Texas High Schools would have lit their a$$es up. 4A and 5 As would have treated very badly.

By the way.. Zone Reads are nothing more than a updated version of the Veer and WishBone. You also may want to check out some historical coaching philosophies. Grant Teaff talked about a coach from the 50's whose offense system threw the ball every play. The run and shoot offense was based upon it.

toddg
12-17-2013, 01:26 PM
its funny...the best pure football players are usually on Defense..so it is reasonable to assume that offensive strategy was forced to get more creative and diverse to offset the "talent" discrepancy...in a lot of cases the QB is the best "athlete" on the team for the same reasons.

LHPfactory
12-17-2013, 05:31 PM
I like both but a stout defense is the key, If your defense is solid against the run and pass and you are able to shut down the othe teams offense, it demoralizes and keeps the momentum away from them. If I had to choose and have one side be good and the other stellar, I would take a stellar Defense and good offense that can produce, this will win you championships.

Old Tiger
12-17-2013, 05:37 PM
rules favor the offense. I just like a good game whether it is low scoring battle or a shootout.

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Seems like nobody watches basic blocking and tackling much anymore---only the flashy plays.
Blocking & tackling are my favorites! Of course, I might be a little bias! :D

hollywood
12-17-2013, 10:29 PM
The most talented athletes can play both offense and defense. I played both ways at Brownwood. ;)

In all honesty I personally would rather see a well rounded team. Great offense and defense. I love what the spread has brought to the game.

hollywood
12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I hate offensive games. I think defense requires much more skill and I think the NCAA and people protecting offensive players more and more is making defense completely impossible to play.
The NFL has somewhere around 40 something ACL tears this year, that's the most ever. I think the answer is clear, because guys don't wanna be fined or suspended for hitting high. What happens next? Do they ban hitting low too? The way it's going defense will be a complete joke soon enough.

On another note, the SEC is usually really known for defense as we all know, however, the two top ones usually are LSU and Bama and both of those defenses were very young this year. Also, the SEC probably had the best qb's as an entire conference this year that were putting up ridiculous numbers. Michigan State really showed that defense can win you games almost single handedly. They had a terrible offense and only lost one game, probably should have been undefeated if they didn't flop against Notre Dame.

You know what the answer is? Take the super padded helmets away! I bet if they played with the helmets we used only as far back as the 90's, their wouldn't be near as many players leading with the head. The tacklers bell would get rung just as bad as the targeted player. Heck, go with even less.. Like a thin Kevlar. When will they draw the line? Imagine what football helmets will be like 10 years from now. They'll be playing with Tempurpeudic mattresses around their heads! Sometimes less is more. <=>

oldtownag
12-18-2013, 08:44 AM
In 3A and 4A, we have 2 teams that have, or will set, all-time class scoring records.

I am sure that lots of teams could score more than they do. Carthage shut down their offense by halftime in about 1/2 of the games they played. Therefore, setting a scoring record doesn't impress me much.

panfan
12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
The most talented athletes can play both offense and defense. I played both ways at Brownwood. ;)

In all honesty I personally would rather see a well rounded team. Great offense and defense. I love what the spread has brought to the game.

Defense - by far. Its reactive to what offense is doing. To do this, defensive players must be often times quicker and stronger to overcome the disadvantage of surprise, react, and still make the play. Now, I'm not saying the Hogs on the line aren't strong, they are, but they are also typically slower. Someone said it above - the better athletes tend to be on defense. And Holly - after HS - no one goes both ways - so pick a side.

In HS I was a lineman - good at it too. But damn I would have rather played defense, but our coaches wanted the quicker guys on the d-line so they could shed blockers and still make the play at the LOS.