PDA

View Full Version : Anybody fly fish?

Cam
12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
If so, need some pointers. My son took a class near his school and loved it! Now he wants a fly rod/reel. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of buying him one for Christmas. Went to Orvis. Good stuff but pricey. I hear Bass Pro Shops has some good stuff as well. He told me he saw a starter rod/reel combo there on sale for only $80 and came with a lifetime warranty. I believe he said it was a TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters).
Any help would be appreciated!!
Oh, BTW, I've never fly fished in my entire life!!....So, I'm clueless!!

greendawg84
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
BPS used to have a complete section just for fly fishing . Take the ole trip to SA , will do ya some good to get out of the house for a spell !

Cam
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
BPS used to have a complete section just for fly fishing . Take the ole trip to SA , will do ya some good to get out of the house for a spell !

there you are!!....Greendawg, you're no help!....Funny you say that. SA is where he was. Had the big interview with UT Health Science Center last week. Cross your fingers and say a prayer for him bud! Only around 45 will be accepted to their doctorate program. My boy was the youngest there at 21. He said there were alot of folks ranging on up into their 40's!!....He'll find out this week...
Anyway, back to fly fishin'...I'll bet you've never done it!....If fact, I know you've never done it!....Can't fly fish and hold a beer at the same time!!....:doh:

Farmersfan
12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
there you are!!....Greendawg, you're no help!....Funny you say that. SA is where he was. Had the big interview with UT Health Science Center last week. Cross your fingers and say a prayer for him bud! Only around 45 will be accepted to their doctorate program. My boy was the youngest there at 21. He said there were alot of folks ranging on up into their 40's!!....He'll find out this week...
Anyway, back to fly fishin'...I'll bet you've never done it!....If fact, I know you've never done it!....Can't fly fish and hold a beer at the same time!!....:doh:

Fly fishing in this part of the world is just a novelty. I would love to learn to do it for those periods on Lake Fork when the biguns' are hitting top water...................... But I don't imagine a person would get to use a fly rod very often in Texas.

panfan
12-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Fly fishing in this part of the world is just a novelty. I would love to learn to do it for those periods on Lake Fork when the biguns' are hitting top water...................... But I don't imagine a person would get to use a fly rod very often in Texas.

Its fairly popular at the coast for fishing the flats for reds and some trout. Course for fishing down there the rods are longer, and the flies, well, they just look like crabs! I don't fly fish, but know a lot of people that do since I spend a lot of time out west. I've asked from time to time about the intro set for myself and most of the proficient fly fishers I know have suggested that a medium length rod of decent quality with a decent reel should run about 150-200. Cabelas and BPS usually have some decent combo packages worth while. Orvis is way over priced stuff. Good luck.

Celina8
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Try this Link : http://www.cabelas.com/product/Affordable-Fly-Fishing-Rods-and-Reels-for-Beginners/533093.uts[/URL]

bobcat1
12-16-2013, 07:58 PM
I fly across the lake in my Basscat and fish. Does that count?

Manso/V8
12-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Catching fish along the edge of a pond with fly tackle is pretty fun.

hollywood
12-16-2013, 10:30 PM
If so, need some pointers. My son took a class near his school and loved it! Now he wants a fly rod/reel. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of buying him one for Christmas. Went to Orvis. Good stuff but pricey. I hear Bass Pro Shops has some good stuff as well. He told me he saw a starter rod/reel combo there on sale for only $80 and came with a lifetime warranty. I believe he said it was a TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters).
Any help would be appreciated!!
Oh, BTW, I've never fly fished in my entire life!!....So, I'm clueless!!

Spanish flies are the best!!!

greendawg84
12-17-2013, 09:00 AM

I did hear about your boy's interview , guess he talked to CTF . I got my fingers crossed for him and will send many prayers up for him ! Let us know how it goes .

That is exactly why I dont fly fish , cuts into my beer drinking ! I am more like Bobcat1 , I like to fly in the ole boat then fish .