Jim Mora Jr. - UCLA
Gus Malzahn - Auburn

Old Tiger
12-16-2013, 01:13 PM
College

Jimbo Fisher - Florida St.
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma St.
Jim Mora Jr. - UCLA
Gus Malzahn - AuburnGundy falls in with my bad hires list.

Fisher/Malzahn/Mora Jr would all be good.

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I still say Saban.

Phil C
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
What about Ulysses S. Grant. If we want to conquer the South (SEC) he's our man.

Mojo84
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Why would an NFL coach want to come to UT?

vtskneb
12-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Not sure what Harbough is making but the control and lack of dealing with an NFL owner would be the biggest differences. However, the pinnacle of the coaching career is the NFL head coach, so with that said and the success he has had it really would be taking a step down. Him being one of the younger NFL coaches also leads me to believe this is less likely.

I think if Texas' job were just about being a good coach/recruiter Briles would be about as good as it gets. Texas, IMO believes coach Briles is beneath them and I don't think they will go after him at all. I think in most cases they can pick their coach and no one is unattainable, however this played out kind of ugly and now that Saban is off the table, I think they might be in danger of ending up with a lame duck replacement as well.

msu97
12-16-2013, 03:14 PM

lets see, 7 1/2 million reasons a coach would leave the NFL to come to college...

Snotbubbles
12-16-2013, 03:23 PM
now that Saban is off the table, I think they might be in danger of ending up with a lame duck replacement as well.

Curious why you claim Saban is off the table? Did Texas even offer him a deal yet? Nothing different in regards to obtaining Nick. Still have to buy him out, like you would of had to do a month ago. I still think what Texas was going to offer is still more than what Bama gave him.

msu97
12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
the problem any one will have with Texas will be the meddling alums...
handle with care

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Saban is a business man first, who can happen to coach. Contract means nothing to him. If Texas wants him, they can $till get him. Just be prepared to replace him in about 5 years after you win a NC a time or two, minus 50+ million. Is it worth it? That's the question.

vtskneb
12-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Curious why you claim Saban is off the table? Did Texas even offer him a deal yet? Nothing different in regards to obtaining Nick. Still have to buy him out, like you would of had to do a month ago. I still think what Texas was going to offer is still more than what Bama gave him.

He just re-upped. Why do you think he is still in play? It's not like Saban just bumped up a couple of hunderd thousand. He increased his salary by nearly 2.5 million a year. He is making 7.5 million a year at Bama. He is staying put.

Saban is also 62 years old and oh by the way, Texas just ran off a 62 year old. That would be a quick fix and then what are you left with. If they pay that kind of money, at least if it were me, I would want a little bit of longevity.

Red&White_9x5
12-16-2013, 03:35 PM
[quote=old tiger;1795840]top 3 imo in no particular order

art briles - baylor (no chance)
charlie strong - louisville (bad choice)
urban meyer - ohio st (good hire and may very well be a possibility)

guys who i feel would be terrible hires

james franklin - vanderbilt (agreed)
larry fedora - north carolina (agreed)
dabo sweeny - clemson (i'm on the fence on this one. I lean more toward a good hire)

off the radar guys

bill o'brian - penn st (no)
gary anderson - wisconsin (no)

guys who i don't think would come to texas but would like

david shaw - stanford (good hire)
pat fitzgerald - northwestern (decent hire)
kevin sumlin - texas a&m (no, no, no)

coordinators that would be good hires if texas went that route

chad morris - clemson (great coach, but i don't think they will go with a coordinator)
kirby smart - alabama (same as above)

nfl names that are mentioned

jim harbaugh - 49ers (good hire, doubt he will come)
mike tomlin - steelers (NO)

Snotbubbles
12-16-2013, 03:39 PM
He just re-upped. Why do you think he is still in play? It's not like Saban just bumped up a couple of hunderd thousand. He increased his salary by nearly 2.5 million a year. He is making 7.5 million a year at Bama. He is staying put.

I was just replying to the comment, "Saban is off the table". I say he isn't. Texas never even offered their deal yet. Do you think Texas was just going to offer 5 million to him in the first place? 8 is what I was hearing, for 4 years. Now--question is---do they up that? I just would not say, Saban is off the table. Not saying Texas will get him. Just, he can be gotten.

lostaussie
12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Texas would have had Saban if some of the DA regents could have kept their mouths shut until they figured out how to get rid of Mack...........now whomever they get won't be considered god enough. The powers that be screwed this up royally.........hate that for them:D

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Texas would have had Saban if some of the DA regents could have kept their mouths shut until they figured out how to get rid of Mack...........now whomever they get won't be considered god enough. The powers that be screwed this up royally.........hate that for them:D

True that. We could be wishing we had Mack back in a year or so after this mess. Especially when names like a North Carolina coach comes up as Brown's replacement. Mack has class. Nice remarks he stated in regards to A&M bonfire tragedy, as he exits as coach.

vtskneb
12-16-2013, 05:13 PM
I was just replying to the comment, "Saban is off the table". I say he isn't. Texas never even offered their deal yet. Do you think Texas was just going to offer 5 million to him in the first place? 8 is what I was hearing, for 4 years. Now--question is---do they up that? I just would not say, Saban is off the table. Not saying Texas will get him. Just, he can be gotten.

I doubt it at this point.

Sweetwater Red
12-16-2013, 05:23 PM
This thread should be stickied.

lostaussie
12-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Top 3 IMO in no particular order

Art Briles - Baylor
Charlie Strong - Louisville
Urban Meyer - Ohio St

Guys who I feel would be terrible hires

James Franklin - Vanderbilt
Larry Fedora - North Carolina
Dabo Sweeny - Clemson

Off the radar guys

Bill O'Brian - Penn St
Gary Anderson - Wisconsin

Guys who I don't think would come to Texas but would like

David Shaw - Stanford
Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M

Coordinators that would be good hires if Texas went that route

Chad Morris - Clemson
Kirby Smart - Alabama

NFL names that are mentioned

Jim Harbaugh - 49ers
Mike Tomlin - Steelers You forgot this guy............threw his name in the hat!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/is-this-the-new-face-of-texas-longhorn-football-no-no-it-is-not-121613

Old Tiger
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
You forgot this guy............threw his name in the hat!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/is-this-the-new-face-of-texas-longhorn-football-no-no-it-is-not-121613

Dear baby jesus...

Emerson1
12-16-2013, 06:04 PM
What have I missed that is even putting Tomlin on the radar? He only has 4 years of college coaching experience (none as a head coach).

Old Tiger
12-16-2013, 06:05 PM
What have I missed that is even putting Tomlin on the radar? He only has 4 years of college coaching experience (none as a head coach).

Not sure, the first 3 are my choices.

The others are names that I've seen thrown around.

slingshot
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM

This. Talked to a friend of mine that is a local oil company president, huge UT Alum. He said the 'discussed' offer for Saban was $9.6 M/yr x 5 yrs... agree that this has been handled about as bad as it could be by Texas. Only saving grace is $$$$$.... Texas has more of it than any other school out there. This will allow them to still get a top flight coach and come out of this OK, though it may have cost them a year of recruiting which is huge.

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Not sure anyone other than Saban, is better than Mack. I mean, head and shoulders better. Hate to depart with Mack for someone not proven he can win it all soon.

1st and goal
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I think most at this point could be put in the list,
"Would like and listen to offer, but probably wouldn't jump ship to Texas"

Who knows, money is the root of all ______________. So, I'll guess we'll find out soon.

I think if the fans want a coach that will provide a donkey BBQ (ar$e chewing) every weekend, hire Gruden.

Celina8
12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Just want to let all you know that I am willing to become the next Head Coach at Texas for a very reasonable 1.8 million a year with 2 years guaranteed. My qualifications is that I have been reading the 3A Downlow for several years and every member knows that our knowledge of football far exceeds that of most Coaches and the average fan! Most Coaches prepare an actual game plan, but I have learned is that you let the game be played then comment on what the team should have done....That is why I need to be the next Head Coach of Texas for $1.8 million a year...don't forget that!!!!

bobcat1
12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Too bad Jason Garrett doesn't have any pictures of the Regents like he obviously has of Jerry Jones.

lostaussie
12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Just want to let all you know that I am willing to become the next Head Coach at Texas for a very reasonable 1.8 million a year with 2 years guaranteed. My qualifications is that I have been reading the 3A Downlow for several years and every member knows that our knowledge of football far exceeds that of most Coaches and the average fan! Most Coaches prepare an actual game plan, but I have learned is that you let the game be played then comment on what the team should have done....That is why I need to be the next Head Coach of Texas for $1.8 million a year...don't forget that!!!!we got you listed right below Canseco. If he turns it down your are in:D

OldBison75
12-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I heard that Old Tiger has met with somebody that knows somebody that slept with somebody that happens to be friends with one of the water boys for the Longhorns. According to my source, the water boy was told by the groundskeepers assistant, who heard the equipment manager talking to a janitor in the athletic department that Texas was talking to Todd Dodge about the coaching position. But, OT has sent a message back to the top that he does not believe Dodge would be any better than him for the position.

poisoned10
12-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Especially when names like a North Carolina coach comes up as Brown's replacement.

Where did Mack Brown coach before coming to Texas?

Sent from my iPhone

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Top choice shoukd be chip Kelly.

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 09:34 PM

Sent from my iPhone
Exactly.

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Sent from my iPhone

North Carolina

Manso/V8
12-16-2013, 09:49 PM

It has happened before.
Saban was the HC at Miami before heading to Alabama.
Pete Carroll was the HC at New England before coaching at USC.
Of course, they both weren't all that successful in the pros.
At least not like Harbaugh.

There are probably other examples.

poisoned10
12-16-2013, 09:50 PM
North Carolina

I know. It was a rhetorical question. I quoted the part were he was talking down about the North Carolina coach being part of the discussion when Brown himself came from UNC.

Sent from my iPhone

poisoned10
12-16-2013, 09:51 PM
It has happened before.

Pete Carroll is doing alright his 2nd time around.

Sent from my iPhone

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
It has happened before.

You know Romeo Crennell and Gary Kubiak are available.....:p

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I know. It was a rhetorical question. I quoted the part were he was talking down about the North Carolina coach being part of the discussion when Brown himself came from UNC.

Sent from my iPhone

I figured that afterward.

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I figured that afterward.

The hot bed of coaches, huh? LOL.

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2013, 09:58 PM
If I were looking for an assistant I would contact Scott Surratt at Carthage and Tim Buchanan at Aledo.

YTBulldogs
12-16-2013, 09:58 PM
If I were looking for an assistant I would contact Scott Surratt at Carthage.

LOL. There ya go SHS. Keep Mack, get him some help.

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2013, 10:03 PM
LOL. There ya go SHS. Keep Mack, get him some help.

Go back and check who I added as possible assistants with Surratt, if I were the HC.

Old Tiger
12-16-2013, 11:12 PM
This. Talked to a friend of mine that is a local oil company president, huge UT Alum. He said the 'discussed' offer for Saban was $9.6 M/yr x 5 yrs... agree that this has been handled about as bad as it could be by Texas. Only saving grace is $$$$$.... Texas has more of it than any other school out there. This will allow them to still get a top flight coach and come out of this OK, though it may have cost them a year of recruiting which is huge.

I'm reading between the lines on the whole Saban issue but I believe that it was factual what Chip Brown reported. Others mentioned Saban but Chip did not.

IMO Saban was going to be the guy but Mack through a fit when Chip broke the news which completely shifted the whole timeline. Mack played hardball and waited till Saban announced he would stay that he would resign as one last screw you Texas. Also sounds like Bill Powers wanted to keep Mack but Patterson didn't want that.

Old Tiger
12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Vegas has released odds...

http://gamedayr.com/sports/betting-odds-texas-longhorns-new-football-coach-92167/

Additup
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Following are the current odds-on favorites to land the job:

1.Charlie Strong (Louisville): 2/1
2.Art Briles (Baylor): 9/2,
3.James Franklin (Vanderbilt): 5/1
4.Ted Lasso (Tottenham): 7/1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
5.Bill O’Brien (Penn State): 15/2
6.Chip Kelly (Philadelphia Eagles): 10/1
7.Jim Mora (UCLA): 10/1
8.David Shaw (Stanford): 10/1
9.Jimbo Fisher (FSU): 15/1
10.Jim Harbaugh (San Francisco 49ers): 20/1
11.Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): 20/1
For what it’s worth, Kelly is still within an 18-month show-cause penalty with the NCAA dating back to his tenure at Oregon. Any school hiring him risks penalties

hollywood
12-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Reports saying Jon Gruden would be interested in hearing from Texas.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Not Chuckie!!!!!!!!

coach
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
They are just starting to throw everyones name out there lol. they dont have a clue who they want. It was Saban or bust and Saban played them like a fidel. I wouldnt be surprised at all in 3 years they are regretting running off Mack.

Emerson1
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I can't see Gruden seriously considering it. Gruden makes around $4.3 million to do MNF broadcast and stuff related to it. 0 stress. Probably has to get to the city a few days before to prep, but otherwise gets to hang with the kids most of the time. Is an extra $2-$3 million worth having to work 52 weeks out of the year and have immense amount of stress brought down on you? Recruiting alone is ten times the work he has to do now.

Old Tiger
12-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Gruden would be a terrible hire.

Hasn't coached at college level since 1989 and only has 2 years of coaching experience there.

Roughneck93
12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

I'll pass...

SHSBulldog00
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Gruden says he wants to coach in the NFL again........(Texans?)

Emerson1
12-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Gruden would be a terrible hire.

Hasn't coached at college level since 1989 and only has 2 years of coaching experience there.

I don't get it. Same with Tomlin. Has there ever been a coach who made his name in the NFL then jumped back down to college?

1st and goal
12-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't get it. Same with Tomlin. Has there ever been a coach who made his name in the NFL then jumped back down to college?

Pete Carroll

Team(s) as a coach/administrator
Pacific (GA)
Arkansas (GA)
Iowa State (SC)
Ohio State (SC)
North Carolina State (DC)
Pacific (OC)
Buffalo Bills (DB)
Minnesota Vikings (DB)
New York Jets (DC)
New York Jets
San Francisco 49ers (DC)
New England Patriots
USC
Seattle Seahawks

1st and goal
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
The road to this year's superbowl prolly goin thru Seattle.

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2013, 12:57 PM
They are just starting to throw everyones name out there lol. they dont have a clue who they want. It was Saban or bust and Saban played them like a fidel. I wouldnt be surprised at all in 3 years they are regretting running off Mack.

I still think the Saban stuff was all one sided from Texas area media

Trashman
12-19-2013, 03:30 PM
College

Jimbo Fisher - Florida St.
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma St.
Jim Mora Jr. - UCLA
Gus Malzahn - Auburn

You can't go wrong with a guy named Jimbo.....

orange machine
12-19-2013, 10:57 PM
The next Texas coach will be somebody none of us or anybody else expects.

Roughneck93
01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Looks like Major Applewhite will not be back as well...

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/1/2/5266586/major-applewhite-texas-longhorns-offensive-coordinator-severance-resigns

Macarthur
01-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I think gruden is very overrated.

I think the safest hire Is fisher. Strong would be a bold stroke and maybe the best hire. Franklin would be solid as well.

Rattler
01-02-2014, 05:44 PM
The next Texas coach will be somebody none of us or anybody else expects.

Bill Cowher?

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Bill Cowher?

Vince Lombardi

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
I'll stick with Saban.

Roughneck93
01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
According to sources...

Jim Mora is a possibility.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/10233431/sources-texas-longhorns-eye-ucla-bruins-jim-mora-mack-brown-successor

NastySlot
01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
According to sources...

Jim Mora is a possibility.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/10233431/sources-texas-longhorns-eye-ucla-bruins-jim-mora-mack-brown-successor

according to sources every one is a possibility. according to some real estate agent in Austin Nick Saban was a possibility.............I take it back not everyone..Mack and Myself don't have a chance.

I'll bet no matter who it is OT will say Texas got their first choice (off the B- List)....right OT.

Roughneck93
01-02-2014, 09:26 PM
according to sources every one is a possibility. according to some real estate agent in Austin Nick Saban was a possibility.............I take it back not everyone..Mack and Myself don't have a chance.

I'll bet no matter who it is OT will say Texas got their first choice (off the B- List)....right OT.

Yeah Texas should stop with all the interviews and go with the results of the SI.com readers' bracket...:D

http://sicollegefootball.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/texas-bracket-final-full.jpg

http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/27/texas-longhorns-coaching-bracket-final-results/

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Good stuff right there Roughneck93. I think Saban makes it a little deeper into playoffs though. :p

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 09:36 PM
They are reporting on the local news that Briles has a scheduled interview with UT and the list is down to him and Strong.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 09:42 PM
They are reporting on the local news that Briles has a scheduled interview with UT and the list is down to him and Strong.

Well, if it is them two, hope it's Briles. Was gonna say, I'd love my son to play for him (if I had a son that was good enough), cause he's loyal. LOL.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Should I take that as a shot?

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Should I take that as a shot?

shot? No, it's that there is no loyalty like we thought or think there should be.

Tejastrue
01-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Where have you been? I need backup on this issue!! :clap::D

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Where have you been? I need backup on this issue!! :clap::D

I been reading. But, it's true. $$$$ talk's at all levels I'm afraid. No more can you assume a coach will be anywhere "if" they win. And, I'll always admire Mack regardless of his conf. record. He's a great man. They turded on him here the way it went down. Though I know that don't mean nothing. All about the W's.

NastySlot
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Maybe Gary Barnett would be interested this time around he was the A list guy before Mack got the job.........or has he burned his bridges in Texas?

regaleagle
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
I think they should hire Jimmy Johnson and let him have all the free reign he wants, LOL. JUST GIVE HIM THE WAR CHEST!!!

Txbroadcaster
01-02-2014, 10:52 PM

I think that is one thing Patterson has done beautifully on. Keeping the true targets under wraps so no one will ever know who the target is

YTBulldogs
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Bet Saban get's one more call after this loss tonight.

Old Tiger
01-02-2014, 11:19 PM

I'll bet no matter who it is OT will say Texas got their first choice (off the B- List)....right OT.I've said all along Art Briles, Charlie Strong, or Nick Saban.

cougartino
01-03-2014, 12:43 AM
I've said all along Art Briles, Charlie Strong, or Nick Saban.

Scratch Saban. He doesn't want to see OU ever again.

Additup
01-03-2014, 01:06 AM
just hire this fool
http://images.wallstcheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/matthew-mcconaughey-1024x554.jpg

Additup
01-03-2014, 01:26 AM
I've said all along Art Briles, Charlie Strong, or Nick Saban.

Actually George O'Leary did beat Strong and Briles this season so maybe UT will be calling him - UT knows a thing or two about pretending, so that resume thing could be a plus for him.

Old Tiger
01-03-2014, 01:27 AM
Actually George O'Leary did beat Strong and Briles this season so maybe UT will be calling him - UT knows a thing or two about pretending, so that resume thing could be a plus for him.

At least Texas doesn't claim titles 60-80 years after the fact.

Roughneck93
01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Multiple sources are naming Charlie Strong as new HC...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/3/5253868/charlie-strong-coach-hired-texas-longhorns

Old Tiger
01-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Top 3 IMO in no particular order

Art Briles - Baylor
Charlie Strong - Louisville
Urban Meyer - Ohio St

Guys who I feel would be terrible hires

James Franklin - Vanderbilt
Larry Fedora - North Carolina
Dabo Sweeny - Clemson

Off the radar guys

Bill O'Brian - Penn St
Gary Anderson - Wisconsin

Guys who I don't think would come to Texas but would like

David Shaw - Stanford
Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M

Coordinators that would be good hires if Texas went that route

Chad Morris - Clemson
Kirby Smart - Alabama

NFL names that are mentioned

Jim Harbaugh - 49ers
Mike Tomlin - Steelers

2 of the 3 guys I list as my top 3 were in it till the end. Briles and Strong and it appears Strong got the job.

They say Strong will bring his entire defensive staff including defensive coordinator including Vance Bedford.

Bedford has ties to Texas and is from the state.

What I would be disappointed with is if he brings his OC with him. The guy calls a Greg Davis style of offense.

YTBulldogs
01-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Best wishes to Charlie. Time to get to work. Hook'em.

Scoop27
01-04-2014, 10:41 AM
http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/college-football/louisvilles-strong-vanderbilts-franklin-still-in-t/nccLY/

YTBulldogs
01-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Let Charlie's wife recruit them boys.:1omg!: H:p:pk'em!!!!

http://ballerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/charlie-strong-wife-victoria-strong1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdPrAlTCEAAb0Eg.jpg