PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo, The Cowboys, and the mess they are

coach
12-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Alright Farmersfan, here ya go:

I was at the game yesterdday and that was one of Tony's worst games of his career. He flirted with danger all game long and Dez bailed him out several times. Dez was open all game long, especially 4 or 5 deep balls, and he under threw him. If he would have lead dez just once its a td and we win. Dez coulfd have had about 4 tds on 300 yards if Romo was actually on target. Romo should have thrown about 4 pics but got extremely lucky with two of them. (one a reversal and one a drop by the db.)

The first int he threw could have been a top 10 polay on sports center. Romo did a great job of escaping pressure and had Mile open. It wasnt a bad decision, just a bad bad throw. If he leadds Miles thats a 60+ yardser for 6. You can not miss that throw in that situation. INexcuseable.

The 2nd int was way worse. Don't know what he was looking at. I dont know if Cole should have kept running, all I know it was a terrible pass and could cost us the playoffs.

Romo was dreadful last night and it is highly irritatiing.

However, with me being a coach I cant look at one player and blmae itall on him.

You can't allow 5 consecutive Touchdowns and expect to win. Unacceptable.

The offensive play calling is atrocious. 7 run plays when we are avg. 8 yards a pop. Normally I would blame Garrett for this, but from the sounds of it, looks like Romo audubled out of some run plays. If I were Dez or Murray Id be super pissed at JG and Tony today.

Somebodyfrom this staff needs to be fired today! Also, did you feel like JG threw Romo under the bus. It sounds like JG is worried about his job and trying to save it.

Go get Jon Gruden NOW!

Romo's overall grade F

Coaching Staff F

Defense D

The crazy thing is if we win out we are in....

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
He had a really bad game. Even without the last two picks, he would have had a very so so day. Missed quite a few throws. I keep wondering if that back that he had surgery on is still an issue. He used to be really good at driving the ball down field. His arm just looks weak.

As for the play calling ....horrendous. I don't like JG throwing tony under the bus there. Tony has been in JG's system for almost a decade. He makes checks based on how he's been coached. Incredibly poor game management by JG. If your QB keeps checking out of runs but you want to run, you override. JG is the head coach. Period.

MJMbrahmas10
12-16-2013, 11:27 AM
If I'm demarco Murray I refuse to play next week.

GrTigers6
12-16-2013, 11:28 AM
He had a really bad game. Even without the last two picks, he would have had a very so so day. Missed quite a few throws. I keep wondering if that back that he had surgery on is still an issue. He used to be really good at driving the ball down field. His arm just looks weak.

As for the play calling ....horrendous. I don't like JG throwing tony under the bus there. Tony has been in JG's system for almost a decade. He makes checks based on how he's been coached. Incredibly poor game management by JG. If your QB keeps checking out of runs but you want to run, you override. JG is the head coach. Period.WHat I want to know is why they would have called a running play anyway down by 1 and only one time out with 1:20 left

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, they needed one yard to get a first down but your point is somewhat valid.

It reeks of incompetence to me that you have 7 running plays in the second half when you are trying to run off clock then complain about your QB checking out of a running play in the 2 minute drill. Really?!

No question tony made a couple of big mistakes at the end but the ultimate responsibility for managing the game is JG. He has failed repeatedly.

cougartino
12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm still ticked off the Packers fans were much louder. That sounded liked a Cowboys road game yesterday.

GrTigers6
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Well, they needed one yard to get a first down but your point is somewhat valid.

It reeks of incompetence to me that you have 7 running plays in the second half when you are trying to run off clock then complain about your QB checking out of a running play in the 2 minute drill. Really?!

No question tony made a couple of big mistakes at the end but the ultimate responsibility for managing the game is JG. He has failed repeatedly.I agree. This is on the D and JG. WHile Romo did make some bad throws he put them in position to win with a 23 point lead. one or two stops by the defense and its not even close at the end

Farmersfan
12-16-2013, 11:53 AM

I was at the game yesterdday and that was one of Tony's worst games of his career. He flirted with danger all game long and Dez bailed him out several times. Dez was open all game long, especially 4 or 5 deep balls, and he under threw him. If he would have lead dez just once its a td and we win. Dez coulfd have had about 4 tds on 300 yards if Romo was actually on target. Romo should have thrown about 4 pics but got extremely lucky with two of them. (one a reversal and one a drop by the db.)

The first int he threw could have been a top 10 polay on sports center. Romo did a great job of escaping pressure and had Mile open. It wasnt a bad decision, just a bad bad throw. If he leadds Miles thats a 60+ yardser for 6. You can not miss that throw in that situation. INexcuseable.

The 2nd int was way worse. Don't know what he was looking at. I dont know if Cole should have kept running, all I know it was a terrible pass and could cost us the playoffs.

However, with me being a coach I cant look at one player and blmae itall on him.

The offensive play calling is atrocious. 7 run plays when we are avg. 8 yards a pop. Normally I would blame Garrett for this, but from the sounds of it, looks like Romo audubled out of some run plays. If I were Dez or Murray Id be super pissed at JG and Tony today.

Somebodyfrom this staff needs to be fired today! Also, did you feel like JG threw Romo under the bus. It sounds like JG is worried about his job and trying to save it.

Go get Jon Gruden NOW!

Romo's overall grade F

Coaching Staff F

Defense D

I agree with everything you said Coach! But those observations are what we like to call obvious! I've watched Romo live in probably 5 games over the past 3 seasons and I see a lot of these same kinds of things even in games we win and games where Romo turns in pretty good stats. For example: The Cowboys had to kick 5 FGs yesterday after having a ton of success driving the length of the field. 4 out of the 5 drives ended in Tony Romo mistakes. I'll admit Romo made some good throws and good plays to get them down the field but that is his job. He either threw a very bad pass or made a very bad decision by electing to throw to a blanketed receiver on 3rd down in all 4 possessions. The only one that wasn't his fault was the one where they had a false start penalty. There are some really, really good defenses out there but even those defenses can't cover every single receiver on every single play yet time after time we watch Romo play like he has NOBODY to throw to. And it is frustrating as hell but it isn't anything new!
On a better note: how did you like the stadium? It is a awesome place isn't it?

Farmersfan
12-16-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree. This is on the D and JG. WHile Romo did make some bad throws he put them in position to win with a 23 point lead. one or two stops by the defense and its not even close at the end

The problem with this is it is like asking a shetland pony to win a race against race horses! The defense sucks at it's healthiest but now it's completely dismantled because of injuries. The only option this team has is to rely on it's highly paid thoroughbred! The offense is healthy and ran up and down the field all day but settled for 5 FGs on 5 trips into the redzone. And they STILL should have won the game if not for the complete (and not unexpected) breakdown by that thoroughbred that lets them down so often.............

Farmersfan
12-16-2013, 12:04 PM

And we get to be the smartest kid on the short bus.... AGAIN!

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Would have been nice for ware and hatcher to combine for more than one half of a tackle.

Cole Beasley had more tackles than ware and hatcher combined.

Ranger354
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
I haven't gone back to look at actual scores but it seems that the cowboys have only been blown out of a couple of games. The Saints game and the Bears. Three games they have lost by 1 point and two of those they had leads and blew them.

Tony is a good QB but he is not a great QB. Just good. And last I looked he doesn't play defense. Did Ware even have a pressure yesterday? Or anyone else for that matter? The backers are horrible at best ( Sean Lee not included in this group) and who's idea was it to sign Carr and Mo (who is hurt or just worthless). I thought the whole idea of this new defense was to make it simple. Simple for the other teams to move down the field on!!!! The secondary is getting lit up like a chain smoker at his 30 min lunch break!!! Do they just NOT watch film... ***!!!

I have been a Cowboy fan forever and always will. But this year I am rooting for the Saints! Sean has the balls to make the calls and I am sorry because as much as I like Red Headed Jesus, he can't walk on water and is too nice to work for Jerry Jones.

Until Jerry gets his hands OUT of everything this team will be 50/50 at best..

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
In 4 of the 7 loses, the offense has scores at least 28 points.

GrTigers6
12-16-2013, 12:53 PM
The only hope we have is that we seem to be able to win division games! Heres to finishing 6-0 in the division. One can hope right?:D

waterboy
12-16-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan through and through. They are sickening to watch at times. I left for church last night throughly convinced the Cowboys would win, only to hear that they blew it........AGAIN! I'm just disgusted at what the Cowboys have become, and I don't put the blame on any particular player, or players. I think the losing culture starts at the top, and won't change until they completely blow this team up. Even then, I'm not sure it would do any good without a new GM....., something that will not happen.

Slick50
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
No need for them to even get in the playoffs, they would be 1 and done anyways.

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan through and through. They are sickening to watch at times. I left for church last night throughly convinced the Cowboys would win, only to hear that they blew it........AGAIN! I'm just disgusted at what the Cowboys have become, and I don't put the blame on any particular player, or players. I think the losing culture starts at the top, and won't change until they completely blow this team up. Even then, I'm not sure it would do any good without a new GM....., something that will not happen.

Agree. As much as some want to focus on romo, this organization has been doing this long before romo got here.

coach
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I agree with everything you said Coach! But those observations are what we like to call obvious! I've watched Romo live in probably 5 games over the past 3 seasons and I see a lot of these same kinds of things even in games we win and games where Romo turns in pretty good stats. For example: The Cowboys had to kick 5 FGs yesterday after having a ton of success driving the length of the field. 4 out of the 5 drives ended in Tony Romo mistakes. I'll admit Romo made some good throws and good plays to get them down the field but that is his job. He either threw a very bad pass or made a very bad decision by electing to throw to a blanketed receiver on 3rd down in all 4 possessions. The only one that wasn't his fault was the one where they had a false start penalty. There are some really, really good defenses out there but even those defenses can't cover every single receiver on every single play yet time after time we watch Romo play like he has NOBODY to throw to. And it is frustrating as hell but it isn't anything new!
On a better note: how did you like the stadium? It is a awesome place isn't it?

It is very awesome. This is my 3rd game and several hs games there. I encourage you take a tour. It's pretty neat and the facts about the stadium are unbelievable.

coach
12-16-2013, 01:48 PM
We have got to do something with Brandon Carr. Dude has been a bust and just looked silly out there yesterday.

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
We have got to do something with Brandon Carr. Dude has been a bust and just looked silly out there yesterday.

Agree. While it's true we have had some injuries on defense, there are still some guys out there that are supposed to be good players. The defensive injuries can excuse some, but there really is no excuse for them being this historically bad. I'm not sure many folks realize how historically bad this is.

99IHSMustang
12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Cowboys suck with a capital SUCK! Jerry Jones is laughing all the way to the bank. :evillol:

defense51
12-16-2013, 02:38 PM
1. Jerry isn't going anywhere so I won't address the problems he brings to the big picture.
2. JG is a nice guy, but in my opinion not an NFL quality coach.
3. Romo is an 8-8 caliber QB, he doesn't have the championship qualities to ever win a super bowl.
4. Offensive coordinator or whomever was calling the plays was dreadful
5. Defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach needs something, and honestly I'm not sure where to start because of the injuries, which leads me to #6.
6. Strength and conditioning coach should be fired. Yes all teams have injuries, that's part of the game, but this is ridiculous.
That's all I have and these are just my opinions and observations, and this may be why I'm not on the Cowboys or any NFL staff.:thinking:

msu97
12-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Go get Jon Gruden NOW!

Romo's overall grade F

Coaching Staff F

Defense D

Gruden, or any coach who is worth his salt will not take this job... Jerry would have to agree to be hands off, and we all know that aint happening... the Cowboys will be stuck with a mediocre coach as long as Jerry is hands on...

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm hoping for lovie smith.

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/16/tony-romo-jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-green-bay-packers/

msu97
12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
since 1999, only two teams have blown a 23+ point lead at home... San Diego and the Dallas Cowboys... who have done it twice...

defense51
12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
1. Jerry isn't going anywhere so I won't address the problems he brings to the big picture.
2. JG is a nice guy, but in my opinion not an NFL quality coach.
3. Romo is an 8-8 caliber QB, he doesn't have the championship qualities to ever win a super bowl.
4. Offensive coordinator or whomever was calling the plays was dreadful
5. Defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach needs something, and honestly I'm not sure where to start because of the injuries, which leads me to #6.
6. Strength and conditioning coach should be fired. Yes all teams have injuries, that's part of the game, but this is ridiculous.
That's all I have and these are just my opinions and observations, and this may be why I'm not on the Cowboys or any NFL staff.:thinking:

On a positive note, the kicking game looked excellent yesterday!

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 04:03 PM
@AdamSchefter: When scoring 35 or more points in a game this season, Dallas is 1-2. When scoring 35 or more points this season, other teams are 51-2.

Cam
12-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Three Texans, Slim, Billy-Bob and Bubba died and went to heaven.
At the pearly gates, they were met by St. Peter, who explained
that although it was late and God had retired for the evening, he
had asked Albert Einstein to show them around so they wouldn't get
bored before they met God in the morning. After Einstein had
introduced himself to Slim, he asked, "By the way, Slim, what was
your IQ when you were alive?"
"159", said Slim.
"Great!", said Einstein. We'll discuss my general theory of
relativity and maybe a little unified field theory as I show you
around."
"What an exciting opportunity!", said Slim.
Einstein then introduced himself to Billy-Bob, and when he was
done he said, "Tell me, Billy-Bob - what was your IQ when you were
alive?"
"141", said Billy-Bob.
"Good," said Einstein. "If you'd like, we can discuss a little
mathematics and philosophy as I point out the heavenly sights."
"Nothing I'd like better!" was Billy-Bob's reply.
After Einstein had introduced himself to Bubba, he asked, "What
was your IQ when you were alive, Bubba?"
"58" said Bubba.
Punching him on the arm, Einstein said, "Hey, Bubba - How 'bout
them Cowboys!"

cougartino
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Gruden, or any coach who is worth his salt will not take this job... Jerry would have to agree to be hands off, and we all know that aint happening... the Cowboys will be stuck with a mediocre coach as long as Jerry is hands on...

As long as Jerry is breathing!

Bullaholic
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Still a longtime Cowboys fan, but I don't waste my time barking much anymore and I won't care much what happens until some major changes are made.

bobcat1
12-16-2013, 07:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll not miss a good day's fishing to watch these losers again. The Cowboys are the WWE of the NFL. Fake and phony.:tongue:

Macarthur
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Still a longtime Cowboys fan, but I don't waste my time barking much anymore and I won't care much what happens until some major changes are made.

I'm right there with you.

GrTigers6
12-17-2013, 06:57 AM
same here but I get suckered into the hype that the next season will be the difference! I am hoping that maybe on of theses days that will be right!

hookandladder
12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
I was a long time Cowboy fan however like many when Jerry and Jimmy seperated the team I lost interest as well, Jerry has screwed this team up since. I now just watch the Cowboys to watch how pitiful this team has become with Garrett coaching and Romo at QB, Romo is not a winner. Just the facts , just like his two bosses.

Farmersfan
12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/16/tony-romo-jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-green-bay-packers/

I don't disagree much with this guys assessment of this situation. Except I cannot bring myself to think it's acceptable for the Cowboys to have to protect themselves from their 19 million a year franchise QB by taking the ball out of his hands. In that situation where every person on the face of the planet knows running the ball is the smart thing to do the pass should be a very dependable weapon. And it would have been if Romo had simply executed it correctly. He threw bad pass after bad pass after bad pass. His 1st interception should have been a TD to Miles Austin or at the least a huge gain that would have iced the game. I think ESPN showed that the Cowboys still had like a 80% chance of winning the game until that interception. At that point the Cowboys chances dropped to barely 50/50. But isn't this the story of so many of Romo's interceptions? Statistically he doesn't throw more interceptions than any other QB but this team is in so many close games that his interceptions are killers to the team's chances of winning.

Macarthur
12-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes. I think it goes to my point on the other thread. The cowboys seem to put their QB in a high leverage situation every week.

And his acuracy has been off. I can't help but think this back thing is more than what we were told in the summer. Not only his accuracy but it appears his arm strength is down.

Farmersfan
12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes. I think it goes to my point on the other thread. The cowboys seem to put their QB in a high leverage situation every week.

And his acuracy has been off. I can't help but think this back thing is more than what we were told in the summer. Not only his accuracy but it appears his arm strength is down.

Good observation Mac! Except Romo has been doing this since the beginning......

Macarthur
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Doing what since the beginning?

Farmersfan
12-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Doing what since the beginning?

All those little things that make you believe his back problem is worse than he is telling and his arm strength is down. I don't see any difference in THIS Tony Romo and the Tony Romo we have been watching for 7 seasons. His stats this season are almost exactly what his career stats are.

Macarthur
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
All those little things that make you believe his back problem is worse than he is telling and his arm strength is down. I don't see any difference in THIS Tony Romo and the Tony Romo we have been watching for 7 seasons. His stats this season are almost exactly what his career stats are.

Oh, I think you're well in the minority there. Romo has never been as innacurate in his 7 years as he has been this year. He is clearly diff this year.