PDA

View Full Version : The run of the Fairfield Eagles is pretty crazy

eagles_victory
12-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Eagleqb_14 has been around it more being as I don't live in Fairfield currently, but I think most of this is pretty insane considering how great of a season they have had.

Everyone knows the team is 15-0 and has shattered almost every offensive record in class 3A history, but how it has come out of nowhere is a major credit to the kids and to the coaching staff.

Last year Fairfield went 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs to Lorena after narrowly escaping Center 21-17 in the first round. The Eagles lost off of that team their starting QB, leading and starting rusher, top receiver, and two of the top 3 tacklers on defense. Last year, Larry Rose had a solid season of around 800 rushing yards and 9 touchdowns. This year Rose has rushed for 2659 yards and has over 50 total touchdowns pretty impressive jump from a Jr to SR season. Jacob Gallegos the SR. QB didn't throw a pass last season and wasn't projected as the starter in the spring I believe he wasn't even listed as the starter in Texas Football this August. He has gone from that to throwing 26 touchdowns and rushing for 10 more touchdowns while leading this offense. Sophomore receiver Cam Hicks was considered a " basketball player playing football" coming into this year, but now has 10 touchdown catches and is one of the Eagles top red zone targets. Lastly, Devin Eggins played sparingly on Special Teams as a sophomore last year and had around 20 tackles on the season. This year as a JR he has over 200 total tackles and 20 TFLs.

To me, and maybe I'm off you just don't see teams and players really come out of nowhere like this very often to put together something this special. I think the surprise of it and the great kids involved are really what makes the community so proud of this team.

cr180t
12-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Great run and very exciting

OldBison75
12-15-2013, 04:06 PM
I have seen this before. The problem with Fairfield last year had nothing to do with the quality of the athletes on the field. They lacked a certain intangible chemistry that turns a very good team into a great one. That chemistry is there this year. You can see it in the total confidence in each other on every play. No single player is the key--it is what they do together that shines. Rose has been awesome this year, but, what I notice is that he is constantly thanking and talking to his offensive line guys and thanking them for the blocks. If you watch him after every touchdown, he thanks them either on the field or the sidelines and does it individually. That is repeated over and over on offense and defense. That chemistry and trust is what makes this team so special.

toddg
12-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Impressed with Fairfield!!
Class town and team

eagleqb_14
12-15-2013, 10:16 PM
you can talk about the offense all you want, you can talk about the defense all you want, they are both outstanding and have shocked this whole community and state . But this coaching staff is the major reason we are playing for a state title this year. Probably one of the best coaching staffs in the state.

Bosqueville
12-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I bet you could rob 90% of the houses in Fairfield Friday..

defense51
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I bet you could rob 90% of the houses in Fairfield Friday..

:thinking:

oldtownag
12-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Everyone knows the team is 15-0 and has shattered almost every offensive record in class 3A history

Really, Fairfield is 15-0?

Rabid Cougar
12-15-2013, 11:19 PM
you can talk about the offense all you want, you can talk about the defense all you want, they are both outstanding and have shocked this whole community and state . But this coaching staff is the major reason we are playing for a state title this year. Probably one of the best coaching staffs in the state.

I am not shocked. Curious how your D-line coach is coaching and not teaching.

regaleagle
12-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Evidently, the talent pool is there and the Coaching Staff knew it. They just had to take last season's positives and build on it with the team. Hard work in the offseason with a clear objective to start the season helps with the confidence. Once that took root, then the players could expand their athleticism each game and learn to work with one another to become a better unit. Winning has a way of bringing out the very best effort in young athletes, and apparently Fairfield has the athletes. Now they have a very cohesive team that has gained experience and confidence. Great job over at Fairfield.

eagles_victory
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
The older Coach Bachtel?

coach
12-16-2013, 10:07 AM

He is retired. In the state of Texas you can retire and coach only as an assisstant. Our Asst. basketball coach is doing that as well.

Rabid Cougar
12-16-2013, 10:07 AM
The older Coach Bachtel?

Yep. Played against him when he coached Rosebud-Lott many years ago. I saw him coaching the d-line when CS scrimmaged them at the first of the year.

Rabid Cougar
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
He is retired. In the state of Texas you can retire and coach only as an assisstant. Our Asst. basketball coach is doing that as well.

Cool!

oldtownag
12-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Eagleqb_14 has been around it more being as I don't live in Fairfield currently, but I think most of this is pretty insane considering how great of a season they have had.

Everyone knows the team is 15-0 and has shattered almost every offensive record in class 3A history, but how it has come out of nowhere is a major credit to the kids and to the coaching staff.

Last year Fairfield went 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs to Lorena after narrowly escaping Center 21-17 in the first round. The Eagles lost off of that team their starting QB, leading and starting rusher, top receiver, and two of the top 3 tacklers on defense. Last year, Larry Rose had a solid season of around 800 rushing yards and 9 touchdowns. This year Rose has rushed for 2659 yards and has over 50 total touchdowns pretty impressive jump from a Jr to SR season. Jacob Gallegos the SR. QB didn't throw a pass last season and wasn't projected as the starter in the spring I believe he wasn't even listed as the starter in Texas Football this August. He has gone from that to throwing 26 touchdowns and rushing for 10 more touchdowns while leading this offense. Sophomore receiver Cam Hicks was considered a " basketball player playing football" coming into this year, but now has 10 touchdown catches and is one of the Eagles top red zone targets. Lastly, Devin Eggins played sparingly on Special Teams as a sophomore last year and had around 20 tackles on the season. This year as a JR he has over 200 total tackles and 20 TFLs.

To me, and maybe I'm off you just don't see teams and players really come out of nowhere like this very often to put together something this special. I think the surprise of it and the great kids involved are really what makes the community so proud of this team.

Fairfield has one more game to go. I guarantee it will be the toughest test all year. Argyle is a great team with history and experience on their side. Go Fairfield!

Bullaholic
12-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I think it is going to be critical how one team responds to the challenge of the other right out of the gate in this one. Argyle had a pretty stout test from Gilmer who matched them pretty well score-for-score up to the end. I don't think anybody has pushed Fairfield that much yet. I have only seen Argyle play and watched how well they adjust when the other team tries to take away what they are trying to do. If Fairfield is as good as adjusting as Argyle, I think this game could come down to the team who has the ball last wins. Neither one of these teams has trailed by much for too long in any of their games, so it will be interesting to see how they react if they get behind or stopped a few times.

eagles_victory
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Yep. Played against him when he coached Rosebud-Lott many years ago. I saw him coaching the d-line when CS scrimmaged them at the first of the year.
What Coach said. As long as you have over 20 years of experience and are retired you can still coach legally.

Rabid Cougar
12-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Speaking from experience, from a players and a parents perspective , it makes no difference who you are playing or who you played getting there. At this point in time it is all a blur; a very heady one at that.

From a players perspective, during the SC run in '81 at Cameron, we only heard about how tough the next opponent was going to be. They were either undefeated or practically unscored on during the year( Port Isabel had only 25 points scored on them all year). You went out and did your thing and either they were pretty damd good and it was a fight to the finish (Manor and Newton against the No.1 RB recruit in the nation, Anthony Byerly) or they were totallly over hyped and was pretty much a scrimmage against the JV (Barbers Hill, Port Isabel, and yes...Gilmer).

Same thing as a parent. In China Spring's run to the finals in '07, I was looking at the at the next opponent and read the discussion boards and I was thinking to myself "Holy Crap, No way in hell", "we will only last one or two rounds . " Yet the kids showed up and pretty much made it look easy (Westwood,Kirbyville, Cuero) or pulled out some freaking awesome games ( Rockdale, LaVega, Celina). Rockdale should not have been a game yet CS had to kick a FG with no time left to win. Lavega had beaten CS 45-14 during the season and Celina had scored over 60 points in every playoff game. No way CS was even going to stay on the field with either them.

You can look at the "strength of schedule" all want but at this point in time you just never know. Good Luck to both Argyle and Fairfield.