PDA

View Full Version : Should the UIL change the Regional matchups?

db8coach
12-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Instead of Region 1 always going against 2; and 3 against 4....Should the UIL change it up every year where the State Semi-Finals week is different every year?
Example:
1vs3
2vs 4
1vs4
2vs3
1vs.2...and so on.

Rabid Cougar
12-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Yea....we want to play in Region IV.

K-MAC Chuck
12-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I'd like to see a re-seeding, like they do in some sports.
That way, you always have the chance to have the 2 best teams in the championship. JMO..

cougartino
12-14-2013, 09:39 PM
C'mon folks we're talking about the UIL.

Old Tiger
12-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Laaaaame idea. If you can't get through region 2 or 3 you don't deserve to be there

LHPfactory
12-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Laaaaame idea. If you can't get through region 2 or 3 you don't deserve to be there

It changes year to year. Last year DI was R1 vs R4 in the finals. The year before it was Wimberley from R4 winning D2. ....

Snotbubbles
12-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I'd rather seem them add on one more week and let D1's face D2's.

Emerson1
12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Or take away a playoff team and it ends up being he same amount of games.

NastySlot
12-15-2013, 12:06 AM
so you pretty much do something similar to what is done at state tourneys.

db8coach
12-15-2013, 12:12 AM
A re-seeding would be a great idea...Ranked highest vs. ranked lowest....Middle vs. middle...that way it wouldn't always be the same match-up every year.

marler1972
12-15-2013, 12:22 AM
A re-seeding would be a great idea...Ranked highest vs. ranked lowest....Middle vs. middle...that way it wouldn't always be the same match-up every year.

who's ranking system would you use? Ranklings are not the answer.

marler1972
12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
so you pretty much do something similar to what is done at state tourneys.
Dont they re-seed by records?

GrTigers6
12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
The reason they seed it R1 vs R2 and R3 vs R4 is territorial. For the most part R1 is north and west , R2 is north east R3 Is south west and R4 is southeast. That makes the games a little closer than a team from El Paso having to play a team from Beaumont. It something from the UIL that actually makes since!

NastySlot
12-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Dont they re-seed by records?

yes top two records I believe are opposite sides of semi final bracket.

Bullaholic
12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see a re-seeding, like they do in some sports.
That way, you always have the chance to have the 2 best teams in the championship. JMO..

Been an advocate of NCAA-style seeding for the playoffs for years, Chuck. It would make sure that the best teams don't knock each other off early.

Rabid Cougar
12-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Been an advocate of NCAA-style seeding for the playoffs for years, Chuck. It would make sure that the best teams don't knock each other off early.

And you will have the very same thing happen that takes place in the NCAA basketball tournement and up coming Football "tournement" ;the SAME teams playing for the Championship EVERY year!

If they cannot beat them in Quarters and the Semis, they won't beat them in the Championships.

NTFan
12-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Here is the problem with this idea. In other sports where the UIL seeds the top 4(basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball) there is a state tournament. So all 4 teams are traveling to a central location to play the semi-finals and finals. The reason the UIL doesn't seed them in football and always goes with a Region I-!!, III-IV match up is simply because of travel. You could theoretically have a team from Houston playing a team from Amarillo in the semi's. I know there are still instances where teams have to travel along ways to play their semifinal games, but if you seeded them when they get to semi's, there would be a lot more travel.

NTFan
12-15-2013, 11:44 AM

UIL tried this in 1A basketball several years ago and called it the "Texas Cup".......everyone HATED it and they dropped it after 2 years.

Bullaholic
12-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Here is the problem with this idea. In other sports where the UIL seeds the top 4(basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball) there is a state tournament. So all 4 teams are traveling to a central location to play the semi-finals and finals. The reason the UIL doesn't seed them in football and always goes with a Region I-!!, III-IV match up is simply because of travel. You could theoretically have a team from Houston playing a team from Amarillo in the semi's. I know there are still instances where teams have to travel along ways to play their semifinal games, but if you seeded them when they get to semi's, there would be a lot more travel.

In the state that produces arguably the best high school teams in the nation and the corresponding fan support--I think the travel problem needs to be discounted. Also, neutral sites can be picked from plenty of available venues by the time the semis roll around.

SHSBulldog00
12-15-2013, 12:09 PM
If they were to rotate the semi final matchups they could do 1 of 2 things.

1. Have both semifinals at one location. (Like with the Championship)
2. Have predetermined playoff locations for the semi's based on Regional matchups.

I prefer #2 personally.

db8coach
12-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Lots of good suggestions which means that this could be done. I kinda like the both semis at one location: perhaps DKRMS?

Rabid Cougar
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Lots of good suggestions which means that this could be done. I kinda like the both semis at one location: perhaps DKRMS?

The new Baylor Stadium.

Old Green
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd rather seem them add on one more week and let D1's face D2's.:ditto::2thumbsup

Old Tiger
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
My team can't make it to the state title because of region II and II lets change the format, yeah okay. Sounds like a spoiled kid who can't get their way from asking their mom so they just go ask their dad.

db8coach
12-16-2013, 11:31 AM
My team can't make it to the state title because of region II and II lets change the format, yeah okay. Sounds like a spoiled kid who can't get their way from asking their mom so they just go ask their dad.

I don't really have any "skin in the game" per say... I just think it would be a good idea to change up the status quo every now and then. Who knows, there might be times where a team from region IV is better than the region 2 team that makes state. Shouldn't they get the chance to prove it?

I also think that UIL Cross-Examination State should mix up the conferences...as it is 1A is judged by 2 & 3A and vice versa...4A is judged by 5A ect. Sometimes the 5A debates should be judged by the 1A coaches, ect.... Change the status quo.

Twirling Time
12-16-2013, 03:05 PM
The new Baylor Stadium.

The new indoor stadium in Frisco will fit the bill for RI-RII semifinals for 4A and below.

GrTigers6
12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
The new indoor stadium in Frisco will fit the bill for RI-RII semifinals for 4A and below.

SO lets say that an El Paso team makes it to the semis and have to play a team from the metroplex. Do you think its fair that one team travels 10 miles while the other has to go 600?