PDA

View Full Version : Jameis Winston wanted to be a Longhorn

SHSBulldog00
12-13-2013, 03:18 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/how-texas-missed-out-on-jameis-winston-the-longhorns-missed-5-or-6-phone-calls-from-his-high-school-coach.html/

No wonder Texas has struggled.

GrTigers6
12-13-2013, 03:24 PM
So Did Manziel

SHSBulldog00
12-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Looks to me like UT needs a new recruiting coordinator.

GrTigers6
12-13-2013, 03:54 PM
That's what I was thinking when I heard about that lol

SHSBulldog00
12-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm available. I believe I can do the job with my recruiting background.

1st and goal
12-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Quoted from above link

"Winston’s high school coach, for his sophomore and junior seasons, Matt Scott handled Winston’s recruiting process. Scott estimates he called Texas five or six times Winston’s junior year. He even remembers speaking to a secretary on multiple occasions, according to AL.com.

“I told them I know you get these calls all the time but I said trust me on this one, you are going to want to relay this message,” Scott recalled. “I told her I had left voice mails on all these assistant coaches’ phones and never got a call back. I told her that this was a message she wanted to get out there to Coach (Mack) Brown.”

The message didn’t seem to go through."

I'd fire the coach, the secretary, and ALL the assistants for being lazy bums, sitting on their duffs looking at Maxim magazines while Johnny and Jameis were knocking on the door as loud as they could.

Seriously, this will get Mack and staff in as hot of water as can be. This might be their vehicle for forcing him to step down in lieu of firing his @r$$ over this.

Don't try to tell me they had all the recruited golden children already picked and there was no more room at the inn. Look at the last few years' results. I'd be hot too if I were a Longhorn fan.

PhiI C
12-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Quoted from above link

"Winston’s high school coach, for his sophomore and junior seasons, Matt Scott handled Winston’s recruiting process. Scott estimates he called Texas five or six times Winston’s junior year. He even remembers speaking to a secretary on multiple occasions, according to AL.com.

“I told them I know you get these calls all the time but I said trust me on this one, you are going to want to relay this message,” Scott recalled. “I told her I had left voice mails on all these assistant coaches’ phones and never got a call back. I told her that this was a message she wanted to get out there to Coach (Mack) Brown.”

The message didn’t seem to go through."

I'd fire the coach, the secretary, and ALL the assistants for being lazy bums, sitting on their duffs looking at Maxim magazines while Johnny and Jameis were knocking on the door as loud as they could.

Seriously, this will get Mack and staff in as hot of water as can be. This might be their vehicle for forcing him to step down in lieu of firing his @r$$ over this.

Don't try to tell me they had all the recruited golden children already picked and there was no more room at the inn. Look at the last few years' results. I'd be hot too if I were a Longhorn fan.

I don't believe he would have gone to UT but we should have contacted him. I feel he was probably like that Washington TE that just wanted an offer from UT for posterity's sake.

caleb_mccaig
12-14-2013, 04:02 PM
RG3 and Manziel both wanted to go to UT. But Brown wanted both of them to play safety.....

1st and goal
12-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't believe he would have gone to UT but we should have contacted him. I feel he was probably like that Washington TE that just wanted an offer from UT for posterity's sake.

Did you not read the article?

Do you not believe his coach or are you saying that even with his talent, if he'd went to Texas, they wouldn't have given him the shot he deserves? You know, like make him a DB or whatever they offer all the talented athletes whose names don't end with Sims or McCoy....

OT is right, UT will win some games and lose some next year just enough to scrape by. Maybe Applewhite or some other coach will get fired.

SWAS009
12-14-2013, 05:49 PM
FSUcks

Additup
12-14-2013, 06:19 PM
RG3 and Manziel both wanted to go to UT. But Brown wanted both of them to play safety.....

UT wants to win the mid-feb bragging rights for alumni so they basically let a recruiting service determine who they take. Manziel was a rivals 3 star and Griffin a rivals 4 star QB.
Gilbert was the 5 star guy that every UT alumni message boarder was high-fiving about at the time.

Winston's year they went RB can't misses with Gray and Brown. They had the 6-5 Swoopes on the radar as the next Vince Young, so they probably didn't think they needed a Winston.

Scoop27
12-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Texas is now more a volleyball school that know's what winning is about and one of the best in recruiting in the nation