PDA

View Full Version : Weak pre-season vs strong pre-season

REBEL II
11-14-2001, 12:14 AM
Does it hurt you or help you in the end.
Really, what if a Team's ultimate goal is to win District or State, should they schedule an easy pre-season or a difficult one?
I think the latter...........???????????
Whose still playing?

the claw
11-14-2001, 12:26 AM
A tough preseason definately helps you in the long run. I think it gets your team ready for big games.

SintonFan
11-14-2001, 12:35 AM
I think some of it depends on the district. If a team has a strong district, a strong pre-season would make sense. With a young team, a softer pre-season might help in that confidence could be built by that team. Although, that doesn't always pan out. With good coaching(most will try to find something in between), an 0-3 pre-season before district doesn't allways mean alot. There's been many teams with 2,3 or 4 losses in the semis and finals for state. This topic might be belated a bit, but there are plenty of teams looking to next year.

Jacket2000
11-14-2001, 12:36 AM
Depends on the program. If you have a strong program, then a tougher schedule will help you prepare for the tough district/playoff games. However, if you have a weaker program, or a program without alot of tradition, then a weaker schedule is better. The first step in building a winning tradition is learning how to win. A weaker schedule will help with that.
J2K

SintonFan
11-14-2001, 12:42 AM
Jeez Jacket, I was about to edit my post to mention the weaker program thing. I agree with your post, too.

cl8114
11-14-2001, 01:30 AM
I think if you play a tough preseason you will do better in the end. It just gets you playing at your full potential early. If you win those tough games it prepares you for the big district games. My high school used to scrimage Stephenville first scrimage of the year after that scrimage we would come out playing on a different level and at a different speed then the teams we played in week 1-3. Even if it means having a bad looking record at first playing a tough preseason gets you ready for district and the playoffs.

rsjmann
11-15-2001, 09:11 AM
I agree that a tough pre-season is beneficial. Lamesa played Sweetwater, Wolfforth Frenship, Littlefield,Lubbock Cooper, and Shallowater. Only one of those teams are not in the playoffs (Littlefield) and it came down to the last week against Cooper. I think it will help Lamesa prepare mentally for teams like Wylie, Aledo, or Alvarado in Region 1.