PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech's Baker Mayfield Transferring

SHSBulldog00
12-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Austin native will transfer but where to?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10122462/baker-mayfield-texas-tech-red-raiders-transfer

bobcat1
12-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Wow. Wonder what the real story is as to why? Miscommunication???? What does that mean?

Rabid Cougar
12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Saban already at work.

YTBulldogs
12-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Mayfield won't be allowed to transfer to another Big 12 school, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

bobcat1
12-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Saban already at work.:spitlol:

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Mayfield won't be allowed to transfer to another Big 12 school, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

he can if he walks on

hookandladder
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Saban already at work.

He is definitely not a Saban QB , he is spread all the way.

YTBulldogs
12-12-2013, 09:39 AM
He is definitely not a Saban QB , he is spread all the way.

:ditto: Saban's QB is already at UT.

Celina8
12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
He was promised a full scholarship for next semester from what I have been told, but they did not give him one....maybe that is what this is all about!

caleb_mccaig
12-12-2013, 01:37 PM
He was promised a full scholarship for next semester from what I have been told, but they did not give him one....maybe that is what this is all about!

That's what I heard is the issue. Really sucks for Tech, I think he was the best quarterback on their roster. You could maybe see him wanting to go to A&M, mobile and can run the spread. But that's just my opinion. Wish him luck wherever he goes.

Tom Foolery
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
What happened was he was told his chances of ever starting again were slim. Brewer being healthy and Mahomes coming in really hurt his chances and he had lost the confidence of the team.

SHSBulldog00
12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Sam Houston is looking for a QB. Brian Bell is graduating. Huntsville sure seems like a good fit for Mayfield to me.

SHSU C/O '06

MJMbrahmas10
12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
That sounds great to me!!! But don't know how he would fit the bearkats system. More of a run first. But with tim flanders leaving. It could change.

LH Panther Mom
12-12-2013, 07:29 PM

According to the news items I read, he was promised a scholarship when one became available after the season. I think it's laughable. He went to Tech when his first choice, TCU, didn't offer. He had other offers but said that he'd rather play for Kingsbury as a walk on. So now all the sudden that's not good enough? Good grief! QB's are pretty fickle, if you ask me, since you hear about them transferring more often than any other position. :doh:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2224679680/h63FB6680/

MJMbrahmas10
12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Well I think he earned a scholarship. Most people who see the field on special teams have scholarships. That's ridiculous.

Old Tiger
12-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I heard Kliff stole his girlfriend.

slingshot
12-12-2013, 11:50 PM
So what is the NCAA's position on this? He never recieved a scholarship (so technically 'no remuneration' for his efforts) and was a walk-on player... IMO (not a lawyer) he should be free to walk-on anywhere he wants. Pretty crappy of Tech to restrict his movement if they never gave him anything... and I'm a Tech fan. If he had recieved something of value (like a scholarship... ) it would be different.

Old Tiger
12-13-2013, 12:29 AM
So what is the NCAA's position on this? He never recieved a scholarship (so technically 'no remuneration' for his efforts) and was a walk-on player... IMO (not a lawyer) he should be free to walk-on anywhere he wants. Pretty crappy of Tech to restrict his movement if they never gave him anything... and I'm a Tech fan. If he had recieved something of value (like a scholarship... ) it would be different.

IMO free to go wherever he wants and should not have to sit out a year.

Manso/V8
12-13-2013, 02:18 AM
IMO free to go wherever he wants and should not have to sit out a year.

It doesn't matter what your opinion is, it may not seem fair, but he was on the roster at Texas Tech, and D1A to D1A football transfers have to sit out a year.
He could transfer anywhere and sit out a year and Tech couldn't dictate where he can or can't go.
In order to receive an athletic scholarship, Texas has to grant permission for another school to contact him.
They are not going to allow him to be contacted by other schools in their conference, which is pretty customary......he knows way to much about their system.
The rule applies even though he wasn't on scholarship at Tech.

He could transfer to a D1AA or below program and play immediately as long as he met eligibility requirements.

What is BS is that college coaches can break contracts and change schools with out having to sit out.......and that often leaves the recruits that came to play for a particular coach/coaches in a particular system, high and dry.

The term walk-on is kind of misleading, at most D1 schools most kids don't really just walk-on or show up and tryout for the football.
Most walk-ons were scouted or recruited, but were not offered a scholarship.
Later they may be offered a spot on the team without a scholarship.
The opportunity to earn a scholarship is always there, but it doesn't happen all that often.
A starting QB should be given a scholarship.
Maybe his knee injury got in the way.

Manso/V8
12-13-2013, 02:23 AM
According to the news items I read, he was promised a scholarship when one became available after the season. I think it's laughable. He went to Tech when his first choice, TCU, didn't offer. He had other offers but said that he'd rather play for Kingsbury as a walk on. So now all the sudden that's not good enough? Good grief! QB's are pretty fickle, if you ask me, since you hear about them transferring more often than any other position. :doh:

Maybe he knew there were scholarships were going to be available and Tech hadn't offered one to him and he saw early grad high school kids coming in on scholarship this spring.
They would have already signed up for spring semester classes.

Roughneck93
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
According to reports, Mayfield will walk on at Oklahoma...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/19/report-qb-baker-mayfield-leaving-texas-tech-to-walk-on-at-oklahoma/