PDA

View Full Version : Uil

vtskneb
12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Ruining the game similar to the BCS and the fallout over sending two small fan bases across the US to play in a half empty stadium. To keep on schedule for the state game they will allow games to be played on Sunday this coming week. They won't but they really should let this go back to the coaches for choosing the date, time and location of their state game. The TV rights I am sure make it all worth the trouble for them (UIL) but this will be a determent to the players. In the documentary that the Discovery channel did back in 1990 with Stephenville Coach Briles is quoted as saying football is the great equalizer, that crosses all socio/economic lines in society. The UIL has broached that and will give the teams in Region 1 across the state an unfair disadvantage by "staying on schedule" for the State games. They are contractually obligated by their TV contract to screw these teams over. Should Stephenville or any other team from Region 1 win State, they will have done so in spite of the UIL and the situation it has created.

coachc45
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Ruining the game similar to the BCS and the fallout over sending two small fan bases across the US to play in a half empty stadium. To keep on schedule for the state game they will allow games to be played on Sunday this coming week. They won't but they really should let this go back to the coaches for choosing the date, time and location of their state game. The TV rights I am sure make it all worth the trouble for them (UIL) but this will be a determent to the players. In the documentary that the Discovery channel did back in 1990 with Stephenville Coach Briles is quoted as saying football is the great equalizer, that crosses all socio/economic lines in society. The UIL has broached that and will give the teams in Region 1 across the state an unfair disadvantage by "staying on schedule" for the State games. They are contractually obligated by their TV contract to screw these teams over. Should Stephenville or any other team from Region 1 win State, they will have done so in spite of the UIL and the situation it has created.

What situation was created? The 3A games will be played friday, these teams knew for a year it would be played on friday. The teams will presumably play on Saturday for the semifinals giving them Monday-Thursday to prepare for the state game, just like every other week of the regular season.

1A and 2A DII will have a shortened week, but I guarantee you that it will not be a factor. They would've had a shortened week regardless.

Matthew328
12-09-2013, 10:41 AM
there will be a disadvantage for the semi-finals for the Stephenville-Lubbock Cooper winner..but not in the finals..in Division II there's no advantage because both teams will be on 5 days rest...the 1A and 2A's will have the back to back 5 day turns

Bullaholic
12-09-2013, 10:47 AM
IMO, the UIL is not the "evil force" that some folks make them out to be----rather they are a bunch of men and women trying to handle very, very complex high school sports situations in a state that has a tremendous number of teams with great enrollment variations spread geographically over an area roughly the size of Europe. Do they make mistakes?---you bet---and sometimes they are real dandies, but I don't see any pre-meditated conspiracies favoring any area over another.

coachc45
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
there will be a disadvantage for the semi-finals for the Stephenville-Lubbock Cooper winner..but not in the finals..in Division II there's no advantage because both teams will be on 5 days rest...the 1A and 2A's will have the back to back 5 day turns

The disadvantage created in the semi-finals has nothing to do with the UIL though. That was caused by Mother Nature.

Gone Fishing
12-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Chance of a life time to get to play in Cowboy Stadium!!! And on live TV. Way to go UIL!!! I have always thought they do a great job with such difficulties of a huge state and sports state. Our boys, school, and parents and fans would have played on one day rest and played the semi game in NW texas or SE texas or on Padre Island (lol) for that chance of a lifetime. Problably every time one of us (kids, parents or fans) sees that jumbo tron and stadium on TV we have that memory of that great day. In addition to that the team we played was 40 min from Cowboy Stadium and we came 5 hours and loved every second of it!!!! Oh and won too....

vtskneb
12-09-2013, 12:13 PM
What situation was created? The 3A games will be played friday, these teams knew for a year it would be played on friday. The teams will presumably play on Saturday for the semifinals giving them Monday-Thursday to prepare for the state game, just like every other week of the regular season.

1A and 2A DII will have a shortened week, but I guarantee you that it will not be a factor. They would've had a shortened week regardless.

They will lose 24 hours of preperation/rest that the other teams in Regions 2-4 will have gotten. As a coach I am surprised to you hear your opinion on this, to each their own. You are also assuming the game happens tonight. The roads were pretty slick this morning in Stephenville, I can't imagine they were much better west and north or here. Additionally, we won't get above freezing today. I feel it is better served to have the teams match-up when/where they feel is in their best interest. I am hearing some bad potential scenarios if the game doesn't happen tonight. This is centered around getting the game done in time to stay on schedule for the venue set out for the title game. I guess because we didn't play last year with the rest of the state, I haven't yet experienced what everyone else has. If they make it maybe I can see what everyone is defending here.

Emerson1
12-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Under what contractual obligation are teams under to play when the UIL tells them to?

vtskneb
12-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Under what contractual obligation are teams under to play when the UIL tells them to?

State game.

Matthew328
12-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Their membership in the UIL obligates them...

Bullaholic
12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Their membership in the UIL obligates them...

Which brings some interesting hypotheticals to mind---Could a school drop out of the UIL and play any team anytime they wanted plus recruit? Is there any clause in the UIL membership rules which prevents member schools from playing non-UIL schools? We know that UIL schools play TAPPS schools.

Matthew328
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
yes a school could drop out...see Prime Prep problem is everyone else is in the UIL who you gonna play?

Emerson1
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Did the UIL prohibit schools from playing Prime Prep?

Matthew328
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
No but the THSCA has strongly advised against it...which is why Stephenville didnt play them

Emerson1
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Unrelated. Are the 6-man state championships on TV or just being streamed?

Trashman
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
IMO, the UIL is not the "evil force" that some folks make them out to be----rather they are a bunch of men and women trying to handle very, very complex high school sports situations in a state that has a tremendous number of teams with great enrollment variations spread geographically over an area roughly the size of Europe. Do they make mistakes?---you bet---and sometimes they are real dandies, but I don't see any pre-meditated conspiracies favoring any area over another.

:clap:

coachc45
12-10-2013, 11:25 AM
They will lose 24 hours of preperation/rest that the other teams in Regions 2-4 will have gotten. As a coach I am surprised to you hear your opinion on this, to each their own. You are also assuming the game happens tonight. The roads were pretty slick this morning in Stephenville, I can't imagine they were much better west and north or here. Additionally, we won't get above freezing today. I feel it is better served to have the teams match-up when/where they feel is in their best interest. I am hearing some bad potential scenarios if the game doesn't happen tonight. This is centered around getting the game done in time to stay on schedule for the venue set out for the title game. I guess because we didn't play last year with the rest of the state, I haven't yet experienced what everyone else has. If they make it maybe I can see what everyone is defending here.

The UIL didn't force them to lose a day of rest, Mother Nature did that. They will play saturday and not friday but will have the same time to prepare that the other finalist has, Monday-Thursday. Teams all over the state play on saturday then turn around and play friday the next week. It is not the end of the world. If Stephenville gets past Kilgore then I am sure that every Coach and Player will be fine with the scenario.

This week sure they are disadvantaged, but don't blame UIL blame Mother Nature. Stephenville could've moved the game to Thursday instead of playing Monday, been proactive. But they did not. They chose to wait it out and oops they are stuck.

vtskneb
12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
you are not arguing the same point i am trying to make. Besides it is not about Stephenville, good lord you people need to get down off that horse.

BwdLion73
12-10-2013, 11:48 AM
you are not arguing the same point i am trying to make. Besides it is not about Stephenville, good lord you people need to get down off that horse.

That should bring a smile to some posters.

coachc45
12-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Then who the heck are you talking about? 3A board, only 3A that had that problem..... hmmmm?

vtskneb
12-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Then who the heck are you talking about? 3A board, only 3A that had that problem..... hmmmm?

All region 1 teams effected by the lack of control for the week of the State Game. hmmmmmmm? smart ass

panther89
12-10-2013, 02:31 PM
If I had the chance to play (well, coach) in the state championship game, I would not worry one bit about how many days I had to turn around and play. It was Mother Nature that did this, not the UIL, in my opinion.

coachc45
12-10-2013, 05:22 PM
All region 1 teams effected by the lack of control for the week of the State Game. hmmmmmmm? smart ass

Well what you don't understand is this Smartass...... before the UIL decided on the single site venue they sent out a questionaire to every school Superintendent in the State of Texas and asked the question of whether or not they wanted a single site. While the coaches were slightly (percentage wise) against it, the Supts overwhelmingly voted it in. So if you think that the schools had nothing to do with it, then you are mistaken.

If you were to vote now, I bet the coaches would overwhelmingly be in favor of it.

vtskneb
12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Well what you don't understand is this Smartass...... before the UIL decided on the single site venue they sent out a questionaire to every school Superintendent in the State of Texas and asked the question of whether or not they wanted a single site. While the coaches were slightly (percentage wise) against it, the Supts overwhelmingly voted it in. So if you think that the schools had nothing to do with it, then you are mistaken.

If you were to vote now, I bet the coaches would overwhelmingly be in favor of it.

And now that they have control they will not relinquish the rights back because they have to give the TV the game they promised them. This does nothing to sway my opinion you are just handing me the company line.

coachc45
12-11-2013, 07:40 AM
And now that they have control they will not relinquish the rights back because they have to give the TV the game they promised them. This does nothing to sway my opinion you are just handing me the company line.

I am not trying to sway your opinion. The fact is that we have a single site championship in all sports in Texas. The kids love it. The coaches like it and the overwhelming majority of fans love it. So 1 or 2 schools got inconvenienced by Mother Nature, so what. Get over it!

panfan
12-12-2013, 09:42 AM

somebody pee pee in your bowl of wheaties the other morning?