PDA

View Full Version : Rice University 2nd Conference Champ in School History with help of the Buckeyes

buckeyebob
12-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Rice University football started and finished strong to capture its first-ever Conference USA championship and with a 41-24 win over Marshall on Saturday at Rice Stadium. In 1957 (only other Conference Championship in school history), the Owls pulled off one of their greatest upsets with a Southwest Conference champions , stunning a Bear Bryant-coached Texas A&M team that was No. 1, 7-6. The season was Bryant’s final one as coach in College Station as he moved on to Alabama. Texas A&M running back John David Crow was named the Heisman Trophy winner in December.

In Saturday's Game, Most Valuable Player honors went to Sophmore former Buckeye Luke Turner. Luke tossed two touchdown passes (on two attempts) and ran for 49 yards on nine carries. Darrion Pollard, Buckeye teammate, had 1 rush for 3 yards & 1 reception for 28 yards.

Good job to Luke & Darrion!

hollywood
12-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Rice University football started and finished strong to capture its first-ever Conference USA championship and with a 41-24 win over Marshall on Saturday at Rice Stadium. In 1957 (only other Conference Championship in school history), the Owls pulled off one of their greatest upsets with a Southwest Conference champions , stunning a Bear Bryant-coached Texas A&M team that was No. 1, 7-6. The season was Bryant’s final one as coach in College Station as he moved on to Alabama. Texas A&M running back John David Crow was named the Heisman Trophy winner in December.

In Saturday's Game, Most Valuable Player honors went to Sophmore former Buckeye Luke Turner. Luke tossed two touchdown passes (on two attempts) and ran for 49 yards on nine carries. Darrion Pollard, Buckeye teammate, had 1 rush for 3 yards & 1 reception for 28 yards.

Good job to Luke & Darrion!

Awesomeness!

adoptedbuckeye
12-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I turned that game on just in time to see Luke's final td pass! That's awesome!

Gone Fishing
12-08-2013, 10:03 AM
In 1946 The Rice Owls were Co-Conference Champions. My Dad played center for that Owl team. They also went on to play in the Orange Bowl and Beat Tennessee. I have my Dads little gold football with a diamond on it and engraved "1946 Southwest Conference Co Champions" on it. I think many kids back then wore those on their Rice Sweaters. I heard all of my dad's Rice Football story's. He loved his coach Jess Neely. (famous in my dads opinion) GO OWLS.

Bullaholic
12-08-2013, 10:32 AM
How did Gilmer help Rice win a conference championship? :D

WOS87
12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Go OWLS! My alma mater.... they had the nation's longest losing streak while I was there from '87-'91 lol but the MOB (Marching Owl Band) kept us entertained.

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Go OWLS! My alma mater.... they had the nation's longest losing streak while I was there from '87-'91 lol but the MOB (Marching Owl Band) kept us entertained.

AND very typical Rice Student section. http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/07/conference-usa-fan-raised-incredibly-witty-espn-penis-sign/penis-sign-at-rice-marshall-game/

GMG!

NastySlot
12-08-2013, 01:02 PM
AND very typical Rice Student section. http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/07/conference-usa-fan-raised-incredibly-witty-espn-penis-sign/penis-sign-at-rice-marshall-game/

GMG!

Funny.

I heard that sign has been taken up at a few Game Day shoots.

movethechain
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM

GMG!

Who knew there was a subliminal message in there? :eek:

Scoop27
12-08-2013, 02:28 PM
The Owls finally made Houston proud

FB-fanatic
12-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Spoke to my old friend Coach Jerry Pickle a few weeks ago, Assistant AD. An old Lorena and Baylor guy and they are pumped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dogman_1969
12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
A friend of mine was the QB for Rice in 1954 when they beat Alabama. He scored a TD late in the game. Rice was co-champs that season. 1953....

Rabid Cougar
12-08-2013, 08:34 PM
My wife grew up right across Buffalo Speedway from Rice. Neighbors on both sides were Rice Alumns. Thank goodness she escaped and went to ATM.

buckeyebob
12-09-2013, 06:40 AM
How did Gilmer help Rice win a conference championship? :D

We gave them Luje & Darrion

buckeyebob
12-09-2013, 06:47 AM
http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/374/assets/H0J6_turnerrice.jpg
Luke at right...
"It's nice to have eight former quarterbacks," Rice coach David Bailiff said with a chuckle. "Luke really throws the ball well. He's an amazing athlete. He's such a great runner that they have to honor his running." Turner's 8-yard jump pass to Connor Cella was pretty much the kill shot, giving the Owls a 34-10 lead.

waterboy
12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I sure wish Luke would've had a chance to finish his senior season at Gilmer. Losing him for the season late in the 7th game to a broken ankle against Carthage for the district title (2011) changed our team's dynamic that year. I think if we would've had him for the rest of that season we would've had a much better shot at a title. It was tough losing our team leader that year, although Jordan Traylor filled in admirably.

Way to go Luke and Darrion!

Phil C
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Rice's last championship was in the Southwest Conference (SWC) in 1957. Before that they would win that conference at least once every four years.