PDA

View Full Version : 3A D1 Semi-Final Carthage (13-1) vs La Grange (13-0)

Pages : [1] 2

Ville-D
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
LG by 14 next week.

Ville-D
12-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Who ya got?

Ville-D
12-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Apparently I posted my score in the wrong spot and hurt a Dawgs feelings. If the mods could move my "LG by 14" over here I'd appreciate it.

cowboyandchrist
12-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Don't know anything about La Grange, but they have to be good or would not be playing in the Semi finals. All I know for sure is the Dawgs will be ready and will give everything they have to win. They believe they can win, the coaches believe they can win, and we the fans believe they can win. Does that mean they will win, no it does not. It does mean to beat the Dawgs, it will take a great team with a great effort. The Dawgs beat a great team tonight, but there is another great team waiting on them next week. God Bless and pray for no injuries.

PappaFeelGood
12-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Don't know anything bout the dawgs. I just know they are always sniffing around come state championship time. Sorry I have to be a homer LEPS by 7.

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 12:43 AM
This is the game the Leps have been yearning for all year. Having lost to the Dawgs 27-14 in the semi-final in 2009 the Leps now have a shot at evening the score. I like this match-up. Both teams have a very big and physical O line. The Leps have multiple threats on offense in the running game and a Qb who is great out of the pocket and very efficient with only 1 interception all season. Our defense has just continued to get better each week and will be facing their biggest challenge with the Carthage power offense. The Dawgs have a terrific running back and outstanding Qb so they will be a formidable opponent. It will be a close game but I'm a homer and will go with LG by 14.

Manso/V8
12-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Don't know anything about La Grange, but they have to be good or would not be playing in the Semi finals. All I know for sure is the Dawgs will be ready and will give everything they have to win. They believe they can win, the coaches believe they can win, and we the fans believe they can win. Does that mean they will win, no it does not. It does mean to beat the Dawgs, it will take a great team with a great effort. The Dawgs beat a great team tonight, but there is another great team waiting on them next week. God Bless and pray for no injuries.

Glad to see you have toned it down since last year.

Dawgs
12-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Apparently I posted my score in the wrong spot and hurt a Dawgs feelings. If the mods could move my "LG by 14" over here I'd appreciate it.

Nobody got there feelings hurt on a message board. I just think its BS when somebody gets on a thread about 2 teams that just had a heck of a ballgame, and post "La Grange by 14". IMO there was no sense in it. No congrats to either team, but whatever. Typical to this point of the season from what I have seen from most Ville posters.

Anyway this should be a heck of a ballgame between 2 good teams. I need to do some research on La Grange, but from what it looks like this will be our toughest challenge. Hopefully the weather conditions are better than this week. I want to see a good clean game!

JBizzle
12-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Heck, I'm just happy you posted about the game in question instead of just telling us how awesome Stephenville is and how they work harder than anyone else in the world!

😉

ctown81
12-07-2013, 08:24 AM
This is the game the Leps have been yearning for all year. Having lost to the Dawgs 27-14 in the semi-final in 2009 the Leps now have a shot at evening the score. I like this match-up. Both teams have a very big and physical O line. The Leps have multiple threats on offense in the running game and a Qb who is great out of the pocket and very efficient with only 1 interception all season. Our defense has just continued to get better each week and will be facing their biggest challenge with the Carthage power offense. The Dawgs have a terrific running back and outstanding Qb so they will be a formidable opponent. It will be a close game but I'm a homer and will go with LG by 14.

Something will have to give this game. Should be a good one. Leps by 14 is a bold prediction. We shall see.

BB BULLS
12-07-2013, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=JBizzle;1792099]Heck, I'm just happy you posted about the game in question instead of just telling us how awesome Stephenville is and how they work harder than anyone else in the world!

that is funny and so true! congrats to both teams and good luck next week. I have nothing against either team but got to go with R4 Leps by 3. Bizzle & Dawgs we all know how them S-ville fans are I am surprised they didn't bring up previous games talking about in 19?? or 20?? we did this or that. you should know by now that S-ville Is gods gift to 3A football.

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Something will have to give this game. Should be a good one. Leps by 14 is a bold prediction. We shall see.

Well I did state right there in plain sight in my post that I'm a homer. :D

ctown81
12-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Well I did state right there in plain sight in my post that I'm a homer. :D

Most of these picks on here are homer picks, doesn't make it any less bold.

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Most of these picks on here are homer picks, doesn't make it any less bold.

I never said I wasn't bold. Bold is a good thing. Leps are bold.

Dawgs
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM

I like the pick, even if it is a homer pick! From what I have read so far, these teams seem to be alot alike in many phases of the game. With that said if we are even on paper I got to give the edge to Surratt! Carthage Dawgs if even by 1!

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Any news on time and place? I vote for Huntsville at Sam Houston State Bowers Stadium Saturday. It is a great venue midway between Carthage and La Grange. 'Cmon Coach Kates win the toss this time :D.

hookandladder
12-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Hearing back around same place as 2009 on Friday.

jason
12-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Hearing back around same place as 2009 on Friday.
which was?

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
which was?

Midlothian if you can find it:). Last time out our charter bus got lost in some FM side roads after taking the wrong exit out in the middle of nowhere off I35. Then on the way home some drunk illegal driving on the wrong side of Hwy 77 just south of Cameron hit our bus in the side and then hit the other bus behind us head on. Fortunately only two folks were slightly injured. The driver was so drunk he wasn't hurt but his Silverado was totalled. We got home at 4AM. The buses were not drive-able and we all had to pile in empty seats in the School buses and two other charter buses. I hitched a ride with the team and it was real quiet all the way. :(. That place has real bad juju.

bansheefan03
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Midlothian I think

speedbump
12-07-2013, 10:28 AM
which was?

Altair, at scoops request.

bansheefan03
12-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Mansfield r waxahachi maybe to coach said south Dallas somewhere

jason
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Midlothian if you can find it:). Last time out our charter bus got lost in some FM side roads after taking the wrong exit out in the middle of nowhere off I35. Then on the way home some drunk illegal driving on the wrong side of Hwy 77 just south of Cameron hit our bus in the side and then hit the other bus behind us head on. Fortunately only two folks were slightly injured. The driver was so drunk he wasn't hurt but his Silverado was totalled. We got home at 4AM. The buses were not drive-able and we all had to pile in empty seats in the School buses and two other charter buses. I hitched a ride with the team and it was real quiet all the way. :(. That place has real bad juju.

been there - easy to get to from stephenville - really nice stadium
might be worth the drive since the stephenville game would be saturday

Ville-D
12-07-2013, 10:33 AM
been there - easy to get to from stephenville - really nice stadium
might be worth the drive since the stephenville game would be saturday

I'm going.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 10:41 AM
A 190- 200 mile trek for both teams on a Friday night? That means fans will need to take a time off work to drive up for the game. That is just crazy! If it were Saturday afternoon it would allow for a bigger crowd. I don't look forward to that long drive home even if we get the win. May have to take that infernal bus again :(.

bobcat1
12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Midlothian if you can find it:). Last time out our charter bus got lost in some FM side roads after taking the wrong exit out in the middle of nowhere off I35. Then on the way home some drunk illegal driving on the wrong side of Hwy 77 just south of Cameron hit our bus in the side and then hit the other bus behind us head on. Fortunately only two folks were slightly injured. The driver was so drunk he wasn't hurt but his Silverado was totalled. We got home at 4AM. The buses were not drive-able and we all had to pile in empty seats in the School buses and two other charter buses. I hitched a ride with the team and it was real quiet all the way. :(. That place has real bad juju.I like that Stadium. I don't think Liberty Hill does though. :taunt:

gameface
12-07-2013, 11:51 AM
LG defense is aggressive & laterally fast. Just completed watching dvr'ed game from tv-wow, all of our defense players look incredible. All healthy & play disciplined ball. Key point- we keep getting better each game. LG offense- endless weapons- enough said. This LG team much different than 2009 crew- balanced with talent & more size than '09. Carthage will be a great test- I respect their strength, skill & tradition. LG by 10. There is a new sheriff in town- he's wearing purple & gold! Game face on.

JBizzle
12-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm hearing Mansfield, but idk which stadium

Dawgs
12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Having a hard time finding actual game highlights, but have seen some footage. La Grange looks really athletic, and has some good looking skill postion players. QB and RB looked really good, along with the offensive line. On another note saw a story on the 44 link chain that symblizes La Grange this year. That was pretty good look at the team. This is one of those games that is just tough to call. Just not alot of familiarity between the 2 teams, besides meeting in 2009. Really no common opponents to compare. Maybe there will be some talk around town this week from the coaching staff. BTW, this Carthage team IMO is better than 2009. Offense better, and a much more senior laden team. We did have an X-Factor in 2009 at D-Tackle that we don't have this year, but overall this is a better team. Looking forward to a good week of insight, and a little smack talk, and then a heck of a ball game on Friday night.

toddg
12-07-2013, 12:10 PM
LG defense is aggressive & laterally fast. Just completed watching dvr'ed game from tv-wow, all of our defense players look incredible. All healthy & play disciplined ball. Key point- we keep getting better each game. LG offense- endless weapons- enough said. This LG team much different than 2009 crew- balanced with talent & more size than '09. Carthage will be a great test- I respect their strength, skill & tradition. LG by 10. There is a new sheriff in town- he's wearing purple & gold! Game face on.

i like it!! been impressed by La Grange all year. besides..they have a lot of pretty girls..a!!

Roughneck93
12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I picked Carthage over LG in my bracket.

Pulling for the Leps though.

Good luck LG!

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Gameface the last time the Leps faced a heavily favored team in the semi-finals and won was Marling in 2000. We won on a windy Saturday in Waco ISD 35-29. It was a exhilarating victory only surpassed by the 20-17 thriller in Cowboy stadium the next week against Forney. This next game should be much like that Marlin game with a very big athletic opponent with several D1 level players favored by 14 points over the Leps. I have seen 20 La Grange leopard football teams and I believe this is the best of the bunch, coaching included. This team is the complete package. Coach Suratt is an outstanding coach and will no doubt search our tapes for some weaknesses. He will prepare his players well. We will be ready and will not disappoint.

hookandladder
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Having a hard time finding actual game highlights, but have seen some footage. La Grange looks really athletic, and has some good looking skill postion players. QB and RB looked really good, along with the offensive line. On another note saw a story on the 44 link chain that symblizes La Grange this year. That was pretty good look at the team. This is one of those games that is just tough to call. Just not alot of familiarity between the 2 teams, besides meeting in 2009. Really no common opponents to compare. Maybe there will be some talk around town this week from the coaching staff. BTW, this Carthage team IMO is better than 2009. Offense better, and a much more senior laden team. We did have an X-Factor in 2009 at D-Tackle that we don't have this year, but overall this is a better team. Looking forward to a good week of insight, and a little smack talk, and then a heck of a ball game on Friday night.

The chain started last year, first time I saw it on the field last year was our game against our rival Giddings. that night we ended our losing streak to them , 31-0 . Nuff Said.

PappaFeelGood
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
i like it!! been impressed by La Grange all year. besides..they have a lot of pretty girls..a!!

And that sheriff has spots and growls very loud.

PappaFeelGood
12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Mansfield Friday 730 be there or be square

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Who's home and who's visitor?

What was the temperature and wind conditions in the WOS game in Beaumont?

PappaFeelGood
12-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Who's home and who's visitor?

What was the temperature and wind conditions in the WOS game in Beaumont?

Not sure who's home/visitor. Since it's in Mansfield I'd bet Kates lost the toss, again. He could have just said y'all pick it we will gladly show up. Forecast looks average for Mansfield. Go LEPS.

toddg
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Not sure who's home/visitor. Since it's in Mansfield I'd bet Kates lost the toss, again. He could have just said y'all pick it we will gladly show up. Forecast looks average for Mansfield. Go LEPS.
Newsom Stadium is an excellent facility

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I would guess we lost the toss again. That's okay by me though as we have been winning in white and gold these past 4 weeks. As for the weather I was referring to last night's game in Beaumont to find out if Carthage was in the same cold and wind we were in in Bastrop. I think it was a little less severe down there in the Golden Triangle. Leps have played in two games in lousy weather so they know what to expect. I wish someone would get #70 Ledwick some underarmour though as it made me shiver to watch him last night in bare arms and calves. I realize he is one tough dude but man it was dang cold! :)

bansheefan03
12-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Game last night was 40° winds 20mph with gust of 27°

PappaFeelGood
12-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I would guess we lost the toss again. That's okay by me though as we have been winning in white and gold these past 4 weeks. As for the weather I was referring to last night's game in Beaumont to find out if Carthage was in the same cold and wind we were in in Bastrop. I think it was a little less severe down there in the Golden Triangle. Leps have played in two games in lousy weather so they know what to expect. I wish someone would get #70 Ledwick some underarmour though as it made me shiver to watch him last night in bare arms and calves. I realize he is one tough dude but man it was dang cold! :)

I bet their conditions were about the same as ours. Remember not to many hills or trees to block the wind in the golden triangle.
Also given Carthage's geographic location cold is nothing new for them. Yes as I watched Ledwik with all that exposed skin I got colder.
My concern were the offensive mistakes probably induced by weather. I'm confident that Kates et al are righting that ship first thing Monday morning.
Kudos to the defense. I counted 4 stops inside the 25 yard line. The Apaches were predictable. Something tells me Carthage won't be.
I still like the LEPS by 7 in what should be a game that will be worth every mile to travel and spectate.

cowboyandchrist
12-07-2013, 05:22 PM
From what the little information I can get, La Grange is a lot like Carthage. The big difference in this game will be the ten seniors that have started for the Dawgs since they were sophmores. These same sophmores took Argyle into overtime the same year they played for the state championship. The Q/B, RB, WR, and O line are all vets. The Dawg defense (starters) have only given up 14 points in four playoff games. Unlike the La Grange faithful, I will not give a score because I have no idea what it will be nor do I predict who will win. If the Dawgs win this battle, it will be because of the determination of one of the best O lines in the state no matter what classification 1a thru 5a. They are very big, very strong, and very quick. A field general at Q/B, a 5,000 yard rusher in the back field, 2 big tall and very fast receivers, and finally a defense that stops the run and intercepts the pass. This has the makings of a real battle. Lets Go Dawgs. God Bless and pray no injuries.

Rocket Man
12-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I like that Stadium. I don't think Liberty Hill does though. :taunt:

I remember a game y'all played against them there a few years ago. It was the windiest day I've ever seen a football game played. In warm ups, on I guess the south end, the wind was so strong, the kicker couldn't get one through except at very close range.

bansheefan03
12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Looks like its going to be another bad weather game 60% chance of rain temps in the 30's I hope they r wrong can deal with the cold just don't like the high winds and rain

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Looks like its going to be another bad weather game 60% chance of rain temps in the 30's I hope they r wrong can deal with the cold just don't like the high winds and rain

Weatherbug.com has it at 34 low, 20% chance light rain, NE winds 4 mph. That shouldn't be so bad.

speedbump
12-07-2013, 06:25 PM

The weather report I'm lookin at says High of 50 - low 38 with a 10 % chance of rain. Wind SSE 12 MPH and they have never been wrong, ever.

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 06:47 PM
From what the little information I can get, La Grange is a lot like Carthage. The big difference in this game will be the ten seniors that have started for the Dawgs since they were sophmores. These same sophmores took Argyle into overtime the same year they played for the state championship. The Q/B, RB, WR, and O line are all vets. The Dawg defense (starters) have only given up 14 points in four playoff games. Unlike the La Grange faithful, I will not give a score because I have no idea what it will be nor do I predict who will win. If the Dawgs win this battle, it will be because of the determination of one of the best O lines in the state no matter what classification 1a thru 5a. They are very big, very strong, and very quick. A field general at Q/B, a 5,000 yard rusher in the back field, 2 big tall and very fast receivers, and finally a defense that stops the run and intercepts the pass. This has the makings of a real battle. Lets Go Dawgs. God Bless and pray no injuries.

Well from your description here you could have been talking about the Leps except we have three stellar running backs. Our O line is one of the best in state as well. We have one of the best offensive lineman in the state in all classifications #70 Ledwick (UT) and our front 5 average a fit 260lbs. Our entire backfield returns from last season except for Davis, our Qb, who has surpassed everyone's expectations with over 1600 yards passing, 19 tds passing, 700 yards rushing with 13 tds, 67% completions 1 interception, and Qb rating of 145. Our defense has been tough all year and is peaking now. Few teams have been successful against them with the run and our secondary is fast and athletic. Carthage will be crazy tough as they pretty much have everything that we have so it is going to come down to execution and desire.

Manso/V8
12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I am not sure how the game will turnout, but I thinking Pudlugger is going to win the posting battle.

oldtownag
12-07-2013, 08:20 PM
East Texas Speed Baby!!!!!

Pudlugger
12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I am not sure how the game will turnout, but I thinking Pudlugger is going to win the posting battle.

Dang tootin':D

Matthew328
12-08-2013, 02:15 AM
This is my Friday night game.....Carthage gets the edge but its not by much

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Good choice Matt. Your're welcome to sit on the Leps side. We're friendly folks and we make a lot of racket for our team. Bring your cow bell if you do. Go Leps!

hookandladder
12-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Tell us why you give the edge to Carthage.

Txbroadcaster
12-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Good choice Matt. Your're welcome to sit on the Leps side. We're friendly folks and we make a lot of racket for our team. Bring your cow bell if you do. Go Leps!

He does not sit with the common folk...press box only for him LOL

Aesculus gilmus
12-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Ho! Ho! Ho!

No, I'm not channeling Santa. Just recalling the Chicken Ranch.

We have competing movie story lines here: Carthage's "Bernie" and La Grange's "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."

I see "Bernie" murdering Shirley MacLaine again, only this time she's playing the retired madam of La Grange. Having Dolly Parton play the role works as well.

Gontex
12-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Well from your description here you could have been talking about the Leps except we have three stellar running backs. Our O line is one of the best in state as well. We have one of the best offensive lineman in the state in all classifications #70 Ledwick (UT) and our front 5 average a fit 260lbs. Our entire backfield returns from last season except for Davis, our Qb, who has surpassed everyone's expectations with over 1600 yards passing, 19 tds passing, 700 yards rushing with 13 tds, 67% completions 1 interception, and Qb rating of 145. Our defense has been tough all year and is peaking now. Few teams have been successful against them with the run and our secondary is fast and athletic. Carthage will be crazy tough as they pretty much have everything that we have so it is going to come down to execution and desire.

First of all, Pud, I think Ledwick is committed to A&M, not UT. Leps have real good overall team speed and to their credit kept Ramirez from breaking the long one that Gonzales needed. He had one going once, but tripped over one of his own people which stopped what could have been a td run. I believe that if the Apaches had been able to get the ball into the zone when it was on the 3 yard line in the 4th quarter that Gonzales would have beaten you. They didn't accomplish that and then allowed you to hit the long run that sealed the game 21-8. Not taking anything away from the Leps, they played well and deserved the win. Apaches kept pretty good pressure on your qb and that (and the cold) affected your passing game. Hope you do well against Carthage. I found KBUK on the internet and I will be listening in and pulling for the Leps against Carthage.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I figured out what the Lep game plan will be. Defending the pass may be the Bulldog's weakness. In their 63-39 loss to Whitehouse the Wildcats put up 396 total yards in 42 attempts and 59.5% completion. While rushing they only put up 124 yards in 21 caries for 5.91 yards per carry. Kates will test the Bulldogs secondary. With our O line it will be difficult for the Dawg's to pressure the Qb like they are used to this season. The Lep O line will be the best they will have faced notwithstanding Whitehouse. If they put too much focus on defending the run the Leps will take advantage on the passing opportunities. Carthage will need to respect the Leps passing game. In doing so it will open up the running game which the Leps are very good at. That's how I see it FWIW.:stirpot:

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
First of all, Pud, I think Ledwick is committed to A&M, not UT. Leps have real good overall team speed and to their credit kept Ramirez from breaking the long one that Gonzales needed. He had one going once, but tripped over one of his own people which stopped what could have been a td run. I believe that if the Apaches had been able to get the ball into the zone when it was on the 3 yard line in the 4th quarter that Gonzales would have beaten you. They didn't accomplish that and then allowed you to hit the long run that sealed the game 21-8. Not taking anything away from the Leps, they played well and deserved the win. Apaches kept pretty good pressure on your qb and that (and the cold) affected your passing game. Hope you do well against Carthage. I found KBUK on the internet and I will be listening in and pulling for the Leps against Carthage.

Oh my, you are so right. Texas A&M not UT. My bad. I shouldn't have stopped drinking coffee last month. Tea just doesn't do it for me I guess. :)

As for the woulda shoulda coulda discussion I can come up with three or four things that if they happened would have made the score more one sided. First thing comes to mind is the fumbled snap on the punt recovered in the endzone for the safety. Second was the low free kick into the wind that allowed the Apache returner to take it to the 35 yard line and a short field leading to their only score. No need to belabor the point. It works both ways. That is how the cookie crumbles. 21-8

ctown81
12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I figured out what the Lep game plan will be. Defending the pass may be the Bulldog's weakness. In their 63-39 loss to Whitehouse the Wildcats put up 396 total yards in 42 attempts and 59.5% completion. While rushing they only put up 124 yards in 21 caries for 5.91 yards per carry. Kates will test the Bulldogs secondary. With our O line it will be difficult for the Dawg's to pressure the Qb like they are used to this season. The Lep O line will be the best they will have faced notwithstanding Whitehouse. If they put too much focus on defending the run the Leps will take advantage on the passing opportunities. Carthage will need to respect the Leps passing game. In doing so it will open up the running game which the Leps are very good at. That's how I see it FWIW.:stirpot:

Hopefully your coaches base the game plan on the Whitehouse game, because Carthage will win for sure. Totally different team. Don't put too much stock in a preseason game. Should be a good one Friday.

Dawgs
12-08-2013, 10:33 AM

I know you have to know something about Carthage history, since we beat you guys in 2009. History shows Carthage gets better every game of the regular season, and continues that trend into the playoffs. Just don't get you hopes up that the same team that played Whitehouse the 4th or 5th game of the season will show up in the 15th game. Not saying we will beat the Leps, but after the first quarter the Leps and fans will know they have stepped up in class. We are bad to the bone where it counts this season. I just don't see any team at the 3a level being able to do all the things Carthage can do. I was down on our defense early in the season, but you can't dismiss what they have done the last 9 or 10 games. These kids on defense have stepped it up, and if you look at the playoffs we have to be condidered one of the top, if not the top defense in the state thats lsft playing in class 3a. I guess Kilgore, and Argyle will say they are better, but I could post stats that say otherwise. I will say that the weather will be in La Grange's favor because it hampers our passing game. We can do both, but we also need to do both to be at 100%. If it happens to be clear sky, with little to no wind I say Carthage will be wayyy too much. If its weather that keeps us on the ground, and hampers our passing game, then I say its a really close game. Bout like the WOS game IMO. Like I said earlier I think Carthage will win cause I am a homer, and we have proven in the past that we can get it done when it counts. Its this teams, and this group of Carthage seniors time to take this one all the way. This Championship run has been 3 years in the making. La Grange is just another stepping stone in these seniors way. 4th & 12 on our own 18, wind howling towards us, 2 consecutive timeouts, ball game on the line...QB drops back to pass, a crease opens up, he says it looks like the sea is parting, QB takes off for a gain of 16 before sliding down. FIRST DOWN! That is what you call a big time player. He has been there, and done it. Has almost every record at Carthage, except he lacks the one thing that matters the most at Carthage anymore. Im telling you these kids believe they are the best team in the state. Belief + Talent + Tradition + Coaching is a hard thing to beat. I think this is what wills Carthage to victory.

Matthew328
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I think these teams are pretty even across the board, there's not much difference...I give Carthage the edge in two areas, deeper at the skill spots and a lot of big game experience under the gun...

hookandladder
12-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I do not see LG doing anything different on offense then what they have done all year, we are not built
as a team to change what has worked, if we are passing more then running then we are losing in the ground game. I see very little change to our offensive game plan, we are a run first team that uses play action to hit the big pass plays. Carthage will definitely be the most complete team we have played all year, will be interesting to see if LG can step their game up.

gameface
12-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Pudd- thanks for Ledwik commit correction- my nausea immediately stopped- please stick with strong quality coffee- perhaps Jamacian Blue Mountain or Hawaiian Kona! LG has what it takes- talent, coaching, community support, etc. My question is do they want it? The team spirit is high & all links are strong. Quick start yielding points is essential in most momentum/ team sports despite weather variable. We have adapted to the weather in last two games & now have to focus on task at hand- play tough, stick to game strategy & trust our ability for a successful outcome. Gonna be a battle for sure- tougher than expected for both teams due to size, strength & depth. Nice to be slight underdog & have the target on the dawgs versus cats! LG by 10. Leopards have game face on.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
I know you have to know something about Carthage history, since we beat you guys in 2009. History shows Carthage gets better every game of the regular season, and continues that trend into the playoffs. Just don't get you hopes up that the same team that played Whitehouse the 4th or 5th game of the season will show up in the 15th game. Not saying we will beat the Leps, but after the first quarter the Leps and fans will know they have stepped up in class. We are bad to the bone where it counts this season. I just don't see any team at the 3a level being able to do all the things Carthage can do. I was down on our defense early in the season, but you can't dismiss what they have done the last 9 or 10 games. These kids on defense have stepped it up, and if you look at the playoffs we have to be condidered one of the top, if not the top defense in the state thats lsft playing in class 3a. I guess Kilgore, and Argyle will say they are better, but I could post stats that say otherwise. I will say that the weather will be in La Grange's favor because it hampers our passing game. We can do both, but we also need to do both to be at 100%. If it happens to be clear sky, with little to no wind I say Carthage will be wayyy too much. If its weather that keeps us on the ground, and hampers our passing game, then I say its a really close game. Bout like the WOS game IMO. Like I said earlier I think Carthage will win cause I am a homer, and we have proven in the past that we can get it done when it counts. Its this teams, and this group of Carthage seniors time to take this one all the way. This Championship run has been 3 years in the making. La Grange is just another stepping stone in these seniors way. 4th & 12 on our own 18, wind howling towards us, 2 consecutive timeouts, ball game on the line...QB drops back to pass, a crease opens up, he says it looks like the sea is parting, QB takes off for a gain of 16 before sliding down. FIRST DOWN! That is what you call a big time player. He has been there, and done it. Has almost every record at Carthage, except he lacks the one thing that matters the most at Carthage anymore. Im telling you these kids believe they are the best team in the state. Belief + Talent + Tradition + Coaching is a hard thing to beat. I think this is what wills Carthage to victory.

We in La Grange are familiar with the tradition of hs football at Carthage. We have some traditions of our own and winning the big game is one of them. We have something to say about being your team's "stepping stone in the way" and yall will find out about stepping up in class midway into the first quarter. Folks in Carthage may be looking forward to hoisting that SC Trophy somewhat prematurely. Leps are more than a stepping stone, more like a boulder in the road.:cool:

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I do not see LG doing anything different on offense then what they have done all year, we are not built
as a team to change what has worked, if we are passing more then running then we are losing in the ground game. I see very little change to our offensive game plan, we are a run first team that uses play action to hit the big pass plays. Carthage will definitely be the most complete team we have played all year, will be interesting to see if LG can step their game up.

I'm not saying we wont hook. I do think we will have success however in passing the football and that opens up the running game. We might see more deep routes and some screen passes for example.

bansheefan03
12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Just remember wos thought they would be able to pass on us to after seeing the Whitehouse game film and we had 4 int. on them

bansheefan03
12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Try and find a film on the last four r five games if you want to find a weakness

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Just remember wos thought they would be able to pass on us to after seeing the Whitehouse game film and we had 4 int. on them

Davis has had a total of 1 interception all year and it came on a tipped ball. He is very accurate and makes good decisions. With his speed and mobility, if there is good coverage he tucks and runs. Don't count on getting many interceptions Friday.

cowboyandchrist
12-08-2013, 11:55 AM

You can not use the White House game as a measurement, because the Dawgs had them down by 19 points in the third. The Dawgs turned the ball over four times in the third and fourth quarters. Add in the best Q/B in the state. That same Q/B threw for over 4,000 yards and over 50 touch downs against 4A teams, lost 65 to 60 in the third round. They were ranked #3 in 4A all year long. The Dawg D has shut down the pass and the run in the playoffs. The only team to run on the Dawgs was Jasper and that was due to Earl Cambell Jr. He rushed for 261 yards against the Dawgs and they still won 41 to 26. To beat the Dawgs you will have to be very balanced, that is why the Dawgs have been winning so far, they can run and pass on anybody. Believe me from what I have read, La grange is the real deal and I have the up most respect for what they have accomplished, It will be a great ball game and I hope my Dawgs come out on top. God Bless

Dawgs
12-08-2013, 11:59 AM
We in La Grange are familiar with the tradition of hs football at Carthage. We have some traditions of our own and winning the big game is one of them. We have something to say about being your team's "stepping stone in the way" and yall will find out about stepping up in class midway into the first quarter. Folks in Carthage may be looking forward to hoisting that SC Trophy somewhat prematurely. Leps are more than a stepping stone, more like a boulder in the road.:cool:

I didn't mean that La Grange is a stepping stone in the sense that they are a push over by any means. I meant yall are another team in the way of the ultimate goal. This team is by no means hoisting the SC Trophy prematurely, and most of us fans are not either. One game at a time. This week is La Grange. They are the "boulder" we must climb over this week, as you say. I think Carthage Football as a whole (team, fans, community) got a rude awakening after the El Campo game last year. We had no business losing that game, and it didn't feel good. This years team is built different. They have faced that adversity, and have grown stronger. In ETX this year people doubted us saying we had a "bad" defense...The coaches and players worked extremely hard to fix the mistakes, and now instead of being bad they are bad to the bone. You say we will find out about stepping up in class midway through the 1st quarter, I say I don't think so. Most of these boys are 3 year starters, and have played on the big stage. So I have all the respect for what La Grange has accomplished this season, but I respectfully say your bus stops here. Should be a heck of a ball game by two powerful teams. May the best team win!

Dawgs
12-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Davis has had a total of 1 interception all year and it came on a tipped ball. He is very accurate and makes good decisions. With his speed and mobility, if there is good coverage he tucks and runs. Don't count on getting many interceptions Friday.

QB Dillon Sterling-Cole, Soph. (131 of 207, 2,226 yards, 26 TDs, 4 INTs; 113 carries, 498 yards, 11 TDs)

WOS QB Stats before they played Carthage. If La Grange trys to be something they are not, they will pay the price. Ask WOS.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 12:18 PM
QB Dillon Sterling-Cole, Soph. (131 of 207, 2,226 yards, 26 TDs, 4 INTs; 113 carries, 498 yards, 11 TDs)

WOS QB Stats before they played Carthage. If La Grange trys to be something they are not, they will pay the price. Ask WOS.

La Grange will be La Grange. They like to run the ball and throw on play action. They run out of multiple formations, qb over center, pistol, and shotgun/spread. They will throw about 1/3rd of the time. What they will do is throw effectively especially if Carthage fills the box and goes one on one. If they blitz they will go to the screen pass. I believe we will have success in our passing game. It is different than WOS's style of play so it's apples and oranges(no pun intended).

I have tremendous respect for Carthage and understand the Leps are the underdogs here but just think we can hang with yall. It will be a great game and the best team will undoubtedly win.

gameface
12-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Bansheefan-we're gonna pass on you. So be ready despite 4 int. game @ Whitehouse- sounds political! Your big @ LOS-so are we! Look @ last 5 game films-we will continue to run right up center- b/c we can. I respect tradition, talent, coaching, etc-but the winner of this game will tell you afterwards- it was not easy! This game will be an intense all 4 Q fight for honor to win state @ Jerry world. Do you homework Bansheefan- high horse mentality will likely be trumped by full package & quiet confidence of LG.

Dawgs
12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
La Grange will be La Grange. They like to run the ball and throw on play action. They run out of multiple formations, qb over center, pistol, and shotgun/spread. They will throw about 1/3rd of the time. What they will do is throw effectively especially if Carthage fills the box and goes one on one. If they blitz they will go to the screen pass. I believe we will have success in our passing game. It is different than WOS's style of play so it's apples and oranges(no pun intended).

I have tremendous respect for Carthage and understand the Leps are the underdogs here but just think we can hang with yall. It will be a great game and the best team will undoubtedly win.

Good information. I like it. From the sound of it there are alot of similarities between the 2 teams. Should make for an epic clash! You know there is always alot of talk about East Texas Speed, and while I do believe it to be true, thats never really been Carthage. Now we always have some kids that can flat out fly, and just as much speed as most ETX teams; but we have those hogs in the trenches. That is what IMO sets us above all the other ETX teams year in and year out. When was the last time you heard about Carthage and didn't hear O-Line? That is where games are won on the big stage. The nameless players who are mauling you in the trenches. That's Carthage Football, to the people that really know it.

Has anybody set a line on this game? I wonder who is the favorite. I am sure Carthage is to people that don't know any better just based on recent history, but I don't know if you could really say who is the favorite in this game.

hookandladder
12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
La Grange is visitors , just FYI

Manso/V8
12-08-2013, 12:43 PM
The Dawgs turned the ball over four times in the third and fourth quarters.
Those turnovers hurt, especially against better teams.
Didn't turnovers plague Carthage against El Campo last year as well?
How have they done this year with turnovers?

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 12:45 PM
La Grange is visitors , just FYI

That makes 5 tosses Coach Kates has lost. As long as we keep winning I'm fine with that. The Leps were in Purple and Gold in 2009 and lost 27-14. This year we're in White and Gold as we've been all playoff long. That may just be the difference we need. :)

Go Leps!

Dawgs
12-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Those turnovers hurt, especially against better teams.
Didn't turnovers plague Carthage against El Campo last year as well?
How have they done this year with turnovers?

We have turned a 180 since last year. We have done a very good job protecting the ball. You will catch us fumbling a little, but nothing that you would call a problem. I guess that has been the only knock on our RB Pipken, that he has had protection issues...Broke the Carthage all-time rushing record of 5300 career rushing yards last week, so I think we can handle a couple of turnovers. QB is not going to throw interceptions. He is just too smart. Valedictorian smart. I just don't see Bogie throwing picks, unless the weather is a factor or he is just having to do too much which means we are in a bad spot anyway.

JBizzle
12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Can't find much online about the Leps, but I need some clarification. You keep talking about the QB and the passing game, but LG averages like 120 yds/game. Do they just not need to pass?

toddg
12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Can't find much online about the Leps, but I need some clarification. You keep talking about the QB and the passing game, but LG averages like 120 yds/game. Do they just not need to pass?
means they prefur to run, and have an effective passing game..in otherwords...if Carthage cheats their safeties up, LG can/and will take advantage....a 120 yds/game passing avg. means they can pass when they need to..look at the completion percentage, i thought i saw around 70% with 1 int. for the year

Manso/V8
12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
i thought i saw around 70% with 1 int. for the year

Yep, 1 interception, and that was off a tipped pass.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Here ya go from MaxPreps:
for 12 games not including LG/GZ game Friday
# Name Comp Atts Yrds % Comp Ave Yrds Per Game tds Int Longest Qb Efficiency Rating
12 D. Davis (Sr) 87 130 1582 .669 18.184 131.18 18 1 85 145

JBizzle
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
means they prefur to run, and have an effective passing game..in otherwords...if Carthage cheats their safeties up, LG can/and will take advantage....a 120 yds/game passing avg. means they can pass when they need to..look at the completion percentage, i thought i saw around 70% with 1 int. for the year

Can and will, huh? That sounds pretty confident...guess it doesn't matter if we put a defense out there at all, huh? If we play the pass they will run us in the ground and if we play the run they will beat us through the air.

Ballgame...

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Can and will, huh? That sounds pretty confident...guess it doesn't matter if we put a defense out there at all, huh? If we play the pass they will run us in the ground and if we play the run they will beat us through the air.

Ballgame...

I expect Carthage to put up a very stout defense. Whether or not it will shut down the Leopards offense is the question that only can be answered in how they play the game. We shall find out next Friday. All we are saying is that La Grange plays well in all phases of the game and has an effective balanced offense that so far has proven itself in 13 wins. Carthage has pretty much the same thing plus the confidence and experience of several SC wins in the past few years. If that gets into the Lep's heads it might matter but I don't think that will be the case. This team has their act together both physically and mentally. They believe they can win and they will play accordingly.

toddg
12-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Ballgame...

all im saying is, statisticaly, it looks like LG has an effective passing game to go along with their obvious strong running game...this late in the playoffs, it wont be an easy game for either team...should be a battle, as any semi-finale should be.

hookandladder
12-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Ballgame...

Carthage will try to do the same thing we will , stop the run first and try to make them beat you with the pass. LG can throw the ball effectively however we are not going to throw it anywhere close to the number of times we run it. As you stated earlier , if we are throwing it every down them we are in serious trouble. This game will be won in the trenches , LG is not overloaded with overall team speed however we do have two players on D that will run down most ball carriers. I think this will be a very evenly matched game, teams seem to be very similar . I hate the fact this game is Friday, just sucks for the fans. I do not know who wanted to play on Friday but it sucks, period.

gameface
12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Dog & Cat fight for sure! Both teams have balanced offense & defense. Leopards quiet confidence eclipses Dawgs overconfident attitude. LG by 10, say 31-21. PURPLE & GOLD game face on!

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Carthage will try to do the same thing we will , stop the run first and try to make them beat you with the pass. LG can throw the ball effectively however we are not going to throw it anywhere close to the number of times we run it. As you stated earlier , if we are throwing it every down them we are in serious trouble. This game will be won in the trenches , LG is not overloaded with overall team speed however we do have two players on D that will run down most ball carriers. I think this will be a very evenly matched game, teams seem to be very similar . I hate the fact this game is Friday, just sucks for the fans. I do not know who wanted to play on Friday but it sucks, period.

I agree hook. I might add that we have a little more speed than you're letting on to. I count 4 on D that can run down most ball carriers: #5; #4;#22; and #20. Those guys can fly. The rest of the D is pretty darn quick too. I also think it is poor to have to play on Friday 200 miles away. That means fans will need to take an afternoon off from work to make the 4 hour drive or bus ride. This is difficult for Carthage fans too as they have 190 mile drive although the roads are better they need to pass through the DFW area at rush hour:(. HWY 77 is one long speed trap.

JBizzle
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
When you say overconfident attitude, does that mean you think our players(most of whom lost in this round to a region 4 team last season) are looking past La Grange? I highly doubt it.

About 3000 yds rushing and 1500 yds passing is not really what I would call balance.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 04:37 PM
When you say overconfident attitude, does that mean you think our players(most of whom lost in this round to a region 4 team last season) are looking past La Grange? I highly doubt it.

About 3000 yds rushing and 1500 yds passing is not really what I would call balance.

4000/1700 for 13 games. I'll take it. It's balanced enough for me.

FB-fanatic
12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I call that pretty damn balanced.... and looking forward to the 80 minute drive from Waco on Friday to watch my buddy Davis play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hookandladder
12-08-2013, 04:50 PM
I agree hook. I might add that we have a little more speed than you're letting on to. I count 4 on D that can run down most ball carriers: #5; #4;#22; and #20. Those guys can fly. The rest of the D is pretty darn quick too. I also think it is poor to have to play on Friday 200 miles away. That means fans will need to take an afternoon off from work to make the 4 hour drive or bus ride. This is difficult for Carthage fans too as they have 190 mile drive although the roads are better they need to pass through the DFW area at rush hour:(. HWY 77 is one long speed trap.

Pud , I am talking about running someone down from behind with good speed, yes #4 has some speed but #20 not so much. Great kid and plays hard but not really blessed with great speed. He is one of my favorite kids to be around, just has a great Attitude and always smiling.

JBizzle
12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm not certain, but I believe Carthage has about 3500 yds passing and 3000 yds rushing on the season...

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Pud , I am talking about running someone down from behind with good speed, yes #4 has some speed but #20 not so much. Great kid and plays hard but not really blessed with great speed. He is one of my favorite kids to be around, just has a great Attitude and always smiling.

Well he's like a heat seeking missile coming in for the tackle so whatever he lacks in speed he makes up in his ballistic energy :).

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm not certain, but I believe Carthage has about 3500 yds passing and 3000 yds rushing on the season...

Carthage does not post any stats on line. Super secret stats! :D

PappaFeelGood
12-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Carthage does not post any stats on line. Super secret stats! :D

They let KGAS put games all over you tube. I've already watched the Navasota, Silsbee and last years El Campo games. Call me a homer but I think LG matches up with the dawgs. I like our shot at them. Coach Surrat (sp) likes his trick plays.

ctown81
12-08-2013, 07:22 PM
They let KGAS put games all over you tube. I've already watched the Navasota, Silsbee and last years El Campo games. Call me a homer but I think LG matches up with the dawgs. I like our shot at them. Coach Surrat (sp) likes his trick plays.

From the videos, where do you think La Grange has the advantages?

gameface
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Pudd- as I posted earlier, team/ momentum sport- LG just gotta get off to early 1 st & 2 nd Q start- MaxPrep Stats reveal avg. scoring for 2013 season comparison bet. Carthage(45.4) & LG(43.4)- biggest diff. is 1st Q scoring avg., 2nd Q less of a margin in avg. pts. scored- entire 2 nd half is a wash! Thus, LG needs to rack up some early scoring- huge advantage next Friday night IMO. Such a surge by LG may be the tipping point b/c I hold my position that this is a very balanced matchup! Perhaps a slight underdog- perfect spot for us 2-time State Football Champions of LG! LG by 10- we have Game Face on.

PappaFeelGood
12-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Depth at running back. Who shares time with Pipkin.

toddg
12-08-2013, 07:55 PM
This should be an extremely hard fought battle of strengths...I'm thinking this one will be one of "those" games, with momentum shifts throughout!! Both would be formidable opponents to whomever comes from the other side in the SC game

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Our Qb's speed and mobility, our O line pass protection and blocking, and our three running backs I think are a smidgen better. On defense our pass defense, pass rush and linebacker play on the runs up the middle and wide to the outside are pretty much equal. Big question will be who controls LOS. It is going to be a battle won at the LOS.

db1980
12-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Hopefully your coaches base the game plan on the Whitehouse game, because Carthage will win for sure. Totally different team. Don't put too much stock in a preseason game. Should be a good one Friday.

WO-S compared their offense to Whitehouse on the SETX site. They couldn't have been further from the truth. Whitehouse is a legit 4a team. That was 8 weeks ago too.

speedbump
12-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I think the keys to this game for LG will be:

(1) Stop the Bulldogs passing game. (very unlikely)
(2) They must run the ball consistently. (possible)
(3) And possibly the most important - The special teams will have to win the field position battle. (very possible, even probable) But if they can't get the first one done it won't matter much.

griff
12-08-2013, 09:07 PM
WO-S compared their offense to Whitehouse on the SETX site. They couldn't have been further from the truth. Whitehouse is a legit 4a team. That was 8 weeks ago too.
I believe that comparison was concerning style and schemes. No one said WO-S's offense was equally as good as Whitehouse. Still, it would have been fun to compare more accurately to them in game conditions that included warmer weather, a dry football, and no 20+ MPH wind, like the game Carthage played against Whitehouse. Plus, when you turnover the ball seven times, it's hard to establish a rhythm of what you're good at.

db1980
12-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I believe that comparison was concerning style and schemes. No one said WO-S's offense was equally as good as Whitehouse. Still, it would have been fun to compare more accurately to them in game conditions that included warmer weather, a dry football, and no 20+ MPH wind, like the game Carthage played against Whitehouse. Plus, when you turnover the ball seven times, it's hard to establish a rhythm of what you're good at.

No, they were comparing the soph QB to Mahomes as far as skills. They said their WRs were better than WH too.

I'll say this......WO-S was better with 19 at qb.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
For you folks from Rio Linda I was not comparing LG to Whitehouse merely pointing out that a good passing attack might be a weakness in the Dawg defense. LG passes the ball 1/3rd of the time and they are very good at it. I am certain they will continue their game plan as they have all year. That is to run the football and pass to keep the defense honest.

PappaFeelGood
12-08-2013, 09:26 PM

LG coaches won't build a game plan based on one game. They will and probably have spent long hours all weekend looking a film and building a plan of attack.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I think the keys to this game for LG will be:

(1) Stop the Bulldogs passing game. (very unlikely)
(2) They must run the ball consistently. (possible)
(3) And possibly the most important - The special teams will have to win the field position battle. (very possible, even probable) But if they can't get the first one done it won't matter much.

Speedy I agree with your assessment. I am confident our pass rush and pass defense will be able to hold Carthage's air attack enough to prevent the big plays and get some needed stops. Carthage will get their points but the Lep defense will get enough stops to keep them in this game. It will come down to execution and, yes, special teams, as always, are very important. The Leps have been successful in their special teams play so that is something they have going for them.

hollywood
12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
What are the sizes of the OL/DL for both La Grange and Carthage?

jason
12-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I predict another region 4 upset over region 3.
Then a shellacking by the region 1/2 rep in the finals.
Dejavu.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 09:36 PM

For La Grange: LT 220 5'10" LG 320 6' 4" C 260 6'1" RG 280 6'5" RT 220 5'9" TE 250 6'1"

average 260lbs

gameface
12-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I like the Grade-A beef of LG against Dawgs! Red has some game-gotta play all 4q & get early lead IMO. Jason- if we play on all clinder's next Friday- you'll be 1st to here about reg. 4's qualifications! I agree the LOS is essential to protect our vanguard QB & to execute our game plan. Lastly, our secondary has the capacity & speed to give a strong fight! Gotta be ready for Dawg trick plays- confident we can contain tall boy!

speedbump
12-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Carthage:
C - 240
G - 301
G - 318
T - 240
T - 220
TE - 215

WR - 6'3 and 6'5

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Carthage:
C - 240
G - 301
G - 318
T - 240
T - 220
TE - 215

WR - 6'3 and 6'5

Pretty even here at 256lbs average for Carthage to 258lbs for LG.
LG WRs 6'4" and 6'3"

bansheefan03
12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
How many teams has Lagrange played that has a winning record?

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 10:54 PM

6 counting Gonzales twice and won all of them. Carthage 7 losing one of them. Pretty even I'd say.

bansheefan03
12-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Did y'all play any 2a schools?

YTBulldogs
12-08-2013, 10:58 PM

5 I believe.

YTBulldogs
12-08-2013, 10:59 PM

no 2A's.

YTBulldogs
12-08-2013, 11:08 PM
I see Carthage played 7 teams with winning records. Only major difference I see, Carthage played a team that didn't win a game all year. Other than that, pretty even schedule wise. Should be a good one between you two.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:11 PM

No one 4a Marble Falls rest 3a.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I see Carthage played 7 teams with winning records. Only major difference I see, Carthage played a team that didn't win a game all year. Other than that, pretty even schedule wise. Should be a good one between you two.

One of those 7 was a loss to ranked 4a Whitehouse so yes it is pretty even with 6 wins each.

gameface
12-08-2013, 11:14 PM
LG played solid teams all season. Note: tough & well represented district with Cuero & Gonzales validating strength into midpoint off playoff's!

speedbump
12-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Carthage opponents 80 wins LG 69.

speedbump
12-08-2013, 11:29 PM

So Carthage had to show up to beat a winless team while LG had Needville (0-9) rained out and that somehow is a "major" difference? LOL

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Carthage opponents 80 wins LG 69.

LG played 13 games Carthage 14 and many of the teams LG played also had one game rained out on 9/20 so it is hard to make much out of this stat. If LG had played Converse Judson that week and lost they would have had 80 just like Carthage so you see how that works.

YTBulldogs
12-08-2013, 11:31 PM
So Carthage had to show up to beat a winless team while LG had Needville (0-9) rained out and that somehow is a "major" difference? LOL

Well, only thing I could find when looking at schedules. Nothing glaring like I think those questions were getting at.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:35 PM

LG has no losses Carthage played one more game and lost to Whitehouse giving them 12 more wins. Take the loss away and it is 79-78. This statistic is not very useful. See my example above.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:37 PM

The major difference is Carthage lost the game to Whitehouse so that doesn't count. 79 LG v 78 Carthage in 13 game wins.
Pretty even I'd say.

speedbump
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Well, only thing I could find when looking at schedules. Nothing glaring like I think those questions were getting at.

When the regular season ended LG opponents had 40 wins. That ranked as the fourth weakest schedule in the state. Of course it means nothing at this point.

Pudlugger
12-08-2013, 11:56 PM
We play the teams on the schedule and just try to keep on winning. Carthage has a higher power rating than LG based on opponent records and ratings so that is impressive. Only statistic that matters though is the final score. Go Leps!

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 07:31 AM
There is no doubt Region 4 as a whole is not as deep as Region 3 however the Leps have been pretty much head and shoulders above most all teams in Region 4 , for LG to beat Carthage we will need to play our best game of the year. Our OL has been solid this year however we have two first year starters on the OL , it will be interesting how they handle the pressure of this game. If Carthage has a big athletic DL and solid LB"s , then it could make us throw the ball more. Like I have said all along, it will be interesting to see how this team steps up against it's first real opponent. This will be the first team we have faced that can run it and throw it well, I see a fairly high scoring game. Somewhere in the 30 to 40 range, points wise will win it.

oldtownag
12-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Looks like Carthage will have their hands full with LG. Im not sure if the Dawgs can win but I am sure hope they give their best effort.

Pudlugger
12-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Looks like Carthage will have their hands full with LG. Im not sure if the Dawgs can win but I am sure hope they give their best effort.

Carthage will be the best team the Leps have faced all year and La Grange will have to play their very best and get a few breaks to get the win. With two teams so evenly matched it is the little things in the details that make the difference. It all comes down to execution as both teams are equally well motivated.

gameface
12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
LOS is key to set up success. I agree Hook & all cylinders gotta fire to yield W for LG. That being said, Carthage has their hands full w/ LG weapon arsenal on O. Both teams have lots of depth on both sides of ball. Who wants it? Who can play all 4 Q's? IMO- first team to get to 14 points wins game!

ctown81
12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
There is no doubt Region 4 as a whole is not as deep as Region 3 however the Leps have been pretty much head and shoulders above most all teams in Region 4 , for LG to beat Carthage we will need to play our best game of the year. Our OL has been solid this year however we have two first year starters on the OL , it will be interesting how they handle the pressure of this game. If Carthage has a big athletic DL and solid LB"s , then it could make us throw the ball more. Like I have said all along, it will be interesting to see how this team steps up against it's first real opponent. This will be the first team we have faced that can run it and throw it well, I see a fairly high scoring game. Somewhere in the 30 to 40 range, points wise will win it.

La Grange reminds me a lot of Euless Trinity from the description. Great running game and can pass when they have to. With that being said, Euless Trinity loses when they are put in a position to where they have to pass more than run. Not saying that will be the case but interested to see how good the Leps passing game is when they have to pass. I hope my dawgs win in a blow out but that's HIGHLY unlikely. I just don't want to endure a close game, makes you crazy.

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
The Leps have not thrown much this year however the number of attempts is somewhat deceiving , our QB moves very well in the pocket so a number of pass plays called have been QB draws. Our QB does not have what I would call breakaway speed however is very shifty and quick, he makes a lot of things happen with his feet. He does need to take care of the ball better, he has had a few fumbles this year. With the RB's that we have , we just need the OL to play well and let the QB manage the game for us. What about Carthage as far as having any D-1 recruits, has anyone committed this year or for next year.

ctown81
12-09-2013, 09:52 AM
The Leps have not thrown much this year however the number of attempts is somewhat deceiving , our QB moves very well in the pocket so a number of pass plays called have been QB draws. Our QB does not have what I would call breakaway speed however is very shifty and quick, he makes a lot of things happen with his feet. He does need to take care of the ball better, he has had a few fumbles this year. With the RB's that we have , we just need the OL to play well and let the QB manage the game for us. What about Carthage as far as having any D-1 recruits, has anyone committed this year or for next year.

I only know of 3 but there may be more.
QB- UTSA
Both Receivers #7 and #5- North Texas

JBizzle
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
QB- UTSA

Think the only other is OG going to ULL. Still not sure how McCain isn't going somewhere. Must be his size. Kid's been getting after it at the varsity level for 4 years now...3 years on both sides of the ball!

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 10:17 AM
QB- UTSA

If you have a QB and two receivers going D-1 then this will be a tough challenge for the Leps D, I know we faced a decent receiver from IS a couple weeks ago but not a D-1 QB throwing the ball to two talented receivers. Our D will be tested and with both our corners being around 5' 6" this matchup will be very intertesting, we may also be without one of our DT's this week who was injuried last week against Gonzales.

JBizzle
12-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Hope the wind is a little lighter this week!

ctown81
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Hope the wind is a little lighter this week!

+1, with the corners being 5'6" that will an advantage that could put us over the top. With that being said they are 13-0 so it's obvious the corners can hold their own but I love the match up.

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 11:07 AM
+1, with the corners being 5'6" that will an advantage that could put us over the top. With that being said they are 13-0 so it's obvious the corners can hold their own but I love the match up.

Our corners have played well despite their height disadvantage however we have not faced a team with the talent that you guys have, we will need to put pressure on your QB or it will be really tough running with that kind of talent without pressure. Both of our safetys will be helping out I am sure and both have decent size and speed, our front 7 will have to stop the run and not rely on DB's making tackles or it could be a long night.

WOS1
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
If you have a QB and two receivers going D-1 then this will be a tough challenge for the Leps D, I know we faced a decent receiver from IS a couple weeks ago but not a D-1 QB throwing the ball to two talented receivers. Our D will be tested and with both our corners being around 5' 6" this matchup will be very intertesting, we may also be without one of our DT's this week who was injuried last week against Gonzales.

5'6" corners will be in for a long night. Both Carthage WR's are very tall. I'd say one is 6'2" or so and the other 6'4". Both will go up and get it too. That will be a key match up advantage for Carthage, IMO.

WOS1
12-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Also, good luck to Carthage this week!

gameface
12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I think both defenses will have their hands full with 2 talented offenses! LOS still huge leverage point of game-IMO. Carthage shows to be slight favorite- LG gotta work harder, smarter & make big plays-esp. with 3 D-1 players. LG has showed great speed, strength & particularly good endurance. How's Dawgs endurance with tougher competetor's this season?

Dawgs
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
5'6" corners will be in for a long night. Both Carthage WR's are very tall. I'd say one is 6'2" or so and the other 6'4". Both will go up and get it too. That will be a key match up advantage for Carthage, IMO.

Tee Goree is 6' 2-1/2" in shoes, and O'Kerrion Rutherford is a legit 6' 5". We have a couple of other receivers that are 6'. 5' 6" corners will defintely be challenged. But it just depends on the weather, if the wind is howling it makes it hard to execute in the passing game.

Dawgs
12-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Think the only other is OG going to ULL. Still not sure how McCain isn't going somewhere. Must be his size. Kid's been getting after it at the varsity level for 4 years now...3 years on both sides of the ball!

I would say there are 5 or 6 other guys who will get offers, but the 4 listed are probably the only D-1 athletes. Although Bankhead has the size, and he is a dang good ball player. I would think he could possibly get a late d-1 offer. The oterh 5 or 6 guys will have to go the JC route, and work for a D-1 scholarship. I would say atleast 10 guys off this team play at the next level.

Dawgs
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks...Respect to WOS.

JBizzle
12-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Thanks!!!

Pudlugger
12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Hook empty your inbox for a PM.

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 02:27 PM

I may be cutting them a little short , they may be 5' 8" in shoes. As I stated earlier though our safetys are pretty good and our corners height has not been a problem yet, both corners will get after you and play much bigger then their height. My concern would be with them going against true D-1 talent , we did Marble Falls who had one solid receiver but their QB was young and inexperienced with no running game. That is why I say LG will stick to what they do best, running the ball and play keep away from Carthage offense.

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Hook empty your inbox for a PM.

done

buff4ever
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
should be an interesting game. I am not sure if LG can pull it out or not, but am pulling for them in this one.

WOS1
12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I may be cutting them a little short , they may be 5' 8" in shoes. As I stated earlier though our safetys are pretty good and our corners height has not been a problem yet, both corners will get after you and play much bigger then their height. My concern would be with them going against true D-1 talent , we did Marble Falls who had one solid receiver but their QB was young and inexperienced with no running game. That is why I say LG will stick to what they do best, running the ball and play keep away from Carthage offense.

We had no luck running on them. Most of our yards were through the air. I'm sure LG has a better running game than WOS, but I also saw several of the Carthage games and the only team who had luck running on them (and they had a lot) was Jasper. But Jasper also has a RB that is 5'10" and well over 200 lbs and is a load. They also had a 6'1" 240 lb back. If you have big backs and a big offensive line then I think you would have a chance at having success running on them.

Pudlugger
12-09-2013, 05:24 PM
We had no luck running on them. Most of our yards were through the air. I'm sure LG has a better running game than WOS, but I also saw several of the Carthage games and the only team who had luck running on them (and they had a lot) was Jasper. But Jasper also has a RB that is 5'10" and well over 200 lbs and is a load. They also had a 6'1" 240 lb back. If you have big backs and a big offensive line then I think you would have a chance at having success running on them.

Our O line is the same size as Carthage's averaging around 260Lbs. Our two main running backs are 6' 180 and 6'1" 175 lbs. One is a power runner that runs over tacklers#3 (1500+ total yards), the other #5 (1000+ yards) is more of a speedster who will take it to the house if he gets free in the secondary. Our Qb #12 (600+ yards) is the third leading rusher.
I am confident we will be able to run on Carthage. I think the defense will be crucial in this game. We must get some stops to keep up with the Dawgs. They are an awesome team and will get their points on us just hope we get a little more.

db1980
12-09-2013, 05:24 PM
LOS is key to set up success. I agree Hook & all cylinders gotta fire to yield W for LG. That being said, Carthage has their hands full w/ LG weapon arsenal on O. Both teams have lots of depth on both sides of ball. Who wants it? Who can play all 4 Q's? IMO- first team to get to 14 points wins game!

I think both teams score at least 14. I just think Carthage scores that in the first quarter and never looks back. LaGrange better score every possession to beat Carthage, just playing keep away isn't going to cut it.

Pudlugger
12-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure #22 a freshman has grown a couple inches since photo day early this season :). He is an amazing athlete and has the speed and agility to keep up with the best and unless the ball is thrown perfectly high to the outside he will break it up. It seems every team we played tried to test him and so far he has frustrated their efforts. #10 also is very fast and has been very effective in pass coverage due to his quickness and ability to get to the ball. We should be seeing more of #70 on the DL Friday to reinforce the pass rush. If they double team him the linebackers will shoot the gaps. The battle is at the LOS as Gameface points out. That is where the game will be won or lost.

db1980
12-09-2013, 05:40 PM

In other words, they limited your strength on offense. Why didn't 19 start at QB?

Pudlugger
12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I think both teams score at least 14. I just think Carthage scores that in the first quarter and never looks back. LaGrange better score every possession to beat Carthage, just playing keep away isn't going to cut it.

Uh, ok then...

regaleagle
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Looks very close on paper, but Carthage will win on the intangibles....been there, been there, been there. The Dawgs are tough in the playoffs...almost yearly. Battle tested with lots of seniors and Bogie at the helm. Quality recievers and good O-line. Carthage scores often tonite, and I will be surprised if LG can keep up. Carthage will get it into the high 40's.....not sure LG can match that kind of offensive output. Carthage D will get some stops. LG needs favorable turnovers to keep this one close. Carthage needs to take care of the ball and they will win with their talent.

YTBulldogs
12-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Hook, ck PM again.

hookandladder
12-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Hook, ck PM again.

I think I got it now .

WOS1
12-09-2013, 07:35 PM
In other words, they limited your strength on offense. Why didn't 19 start at QB?

Nope, running was not our strength. Passing game was this year. 19 did not work as hard as he should have in the off season last year and Cole slipped up on him. Cole won the starting job in the PNG game this year and played very well for a Soph until the Jasper game, but played well in the 4th qtr to pull out the win, but after 4 TO's against Carthage, they gave it to 19. 19 was supposed to be the man this year. After he lost the QB job they had him playing several different positions. They started him at RB in the playoffs and he did very well.

db1980
12-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Nope, running was not our strength. Passing game was this year. 19 did not work as hard as he should have in the off season last year and Cole slipped up on him. Cole won the starting job in the PNG game this year and played very well for a Soph until the Jasper game, but played well in the 4th qtr to pull out the win, but after 4 TO's against Carthage, they gave it to 19. 19 was supposed to be the man this year. After he lost the QB job they had him playing several different positions. They started him at RB in the playoffs and he did very well.

Was not impressed with the soph. Pressure rattled him too easily. 19 played well and to me was the spark that got your offense going. Will he return next year?

gameface
12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
LG be nimble, LG be strong- gonna give dawgs hell all night long! With 3 separate conversations today with team member families- unified theme i heard was: The boyz are ready. Such certainty tells me: Gameface on.

Snotbubbles
12-09-2013, 10:39 PM
LG be nimble, LG be strong- gonna give dawgs hell all night long! With 3 separate conversations today with team member families- unified theme i heard was: The boyz are ready. Such certainty tells me: Gameface on.

What were they going to say? We are scared, not prepared. All teams at this point are ready. Best wishes, love to see some new blood up in Jerry's World. That's for sure.

Dawgs
12-09-2013, 11:42 PM

Every team is ready until they are punched in the mouth. Carthage boys are more than ready, they are prepared for a game of this magnitude. I just don't think any stage will be to big for this senior laden team. O-Line too much for Leps to handle. Game is close 4 quarters, but in the end Carthage offense will wear down LG. I will say this, if Carthage gets the ball in the 4th quarter up on the scoreboard, you can put it in the books. I have seen too many long time consuming drives this season. Facing adversity last week in terrible weather, after being shutout in the second half; Carthage gets the ball back in the 4th and drives about 85 yards taking about 7 minutes of the clock to put it in the books. If Carthage can do that against WOS, I am confident they can do it against any team on the 3a level. Can't wait unitil Friday!

Manso/V8
12-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure #22 a freshman has grown a couple inches since photo day early this season

If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.

Pudlugger
12-10-2013, 07:18 AM
If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.

:spitlol:

WOS1
12-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Was not impressed with the soph. Pressure rattled him too easily. 19 played well and to me was the spark that got your offense going. Will he return next year?

I agree with you and had that been the only time all year I had seen Cole I would not have been impressed either. He didn't play well in Jasper until the 4th qtr, either.

To answer your question, yes, 19 will be back, he is just a Jr. I hope he wins the starting job back too because the kid is tough and is a competitor. It's not hard to have gaudy numbers against mediocre teams. We need someone who is going to perform, against the Carthage and Navasota's of the world.

WOS1
12-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Every team is ready until they are punched in the mouth. Carthage boys are more than ready, they are prepared for a game of this magnitude. I just don't think any stage will be to big for this senior laden team. O-Line too much for Leps to handle. Game is close 4 quarters, but in the end Carthage offense will wear down LG. I will say this, if Carthage gets the ball in the 4th quarter up on the scoreboard, you can put it in the books. I have seen too many long time consuming drives this season. Facing adversity last week in terrible weather, after being shutout in the second half; Carthage gets the ball back in the 4th and drives about 85 yards taking about 7 minutes of the clock to put it in the books. If Carthage can do that against WOS, I am confident they can do it against any team on the 3a level. Can't wait unitil Friday!

Sadly... It was 93 yards... Please continue.

Pudlugger
12-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Well Dawg I like how you back your team. That is a good thing. We here in La Grange realize that Carthage has had pretty much a corner on the market for SC in the past 5 or 6 years and have beaten some fine football teams this season. We haven't faced a team as highly ranked as WOS or Navasota so naturally it is hard to predict how we will do against the Bulldogs. I do know that we have the best football team out of La Grange in years including the 2000 and 2001 teams that won state(2000) and made it to the final(2001). We also have a tradition of playing a smash mouth take no prisoners play to win attitude much the same as Carthage. No doubt we are in for a slobber knocker Friday and when the dust (or ice) settles we will know who the best team is. No players from LG are laboring under the false notion that this game is going to be easy but they, down to a man, believe they can win if they play their best game as a team. That's what they know they need to do and they are prepared to do it. I would not count on "putting it in the books" just yet.

cowboyandchrist
12-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Well Dawg I like how you back your team. That is a good thing. We here in La Grange realize that Carthage has had pretty much a corner on the market for SC in the past 5 or 6 years and have beaten some fine football teams this season. We haven't faced a team as highly ranked as WOS or Navasota so naturally it is hard to predict how we will do against the Bulldogs. I do know that we have the best football team out of La Grange in years including the 2000 and 2001 teams that won state(2000) and made it to the final(2001). We also have a tradition of playing a smash mouth take no prisoners play to win attitude much the same as Carthage. No doubt we are in for a slobber knocker Friday and when the dust (or ice) settles we will know who the best team is. No players from LG are laboring under the false notion that this game is going to be easy but they, down to a man, believe they can win if they play their best game as a team. That's what they know they need to do and they are prepared to do it. I would not count on "putting it in the books" just yet.

Great post, it is clear that we both are true fans and we both believe in our teams. What I respect most about your post is they inform on what teams have done and what they will try and do come Friday night and not just brag mine is better. No matter who wins this game, they will represent very well from our side of the bracket. I personally want the Dawgs to win because I truly want to face and beat the Ville for the Championship. I will be pulling for Kilgore because they are from East Texas, but I deep down want the Dawgs to beat the Ville Jackets. If we win this game and Kilgore beats the Ville The trophy comes back to East Texas. Lets Go Dawgs and getter done. God Bless and pray no injuries

Pudlugger
12-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Great post, it is clear that we both are true fans and we both believe in our teams. What I respect most about your post is they inform on what teams have done and what they will try and do come Friday night and not just brag mine is better. No matter who wins this game, they will represent very well from our side of the bracket. I personally want the Dawgs to win because I truly want to face and beat the Ville for the Championship. I will be pulling for Kilgore because they are from East Texas, but I deep down want the Dawgs to beat the Ville Jackets. If we win this game and Kilgore beats the Ville The trophy comes back to East Texas. Lets Go Dawgs and getter done. God Bless and pray no injuries

Well we're both on the same page about wanting to beat The Ville:D. LG has a big hurdle to cross before any speculation on that score though.

bird_fan
12-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Here I am having to pick between to programs I really like and really respect. Ive sen both of La Granges state champion team play against Van Vleck in 1975 and Bay City in 2000 The first time I heard of Carthage
was in 1991 i was following A@M cons because they had eleminated El Campo at Bi district T^hen who could not notice Carthage winning state 3 years in a row so all in all i got to be a homer for region 4 and go with La Grange I sorry to pick against another program i like and respect so much needless to say I hope one of these teams wins state. Also 6 of the last 9 teams that have eleminated the Ricebirds have played in the state title game slo your both looking great so far

SintonFan_inAustin
12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Good luck Leopards, I was very impress couple of weeks ago.

jason
12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Here I am having to pick between to programs I really like and really respect. Ive sen both of La Granges state champion team play against Van Vleck in 1975 and Bay City in 2000
It was forney in 2000.

Pudlugger
12-10-2013, 07:53 PM
It was forney in 2000.

Right LG played Forney in the State Championship winning 20-17 but they played Bay City in week 0 and lost 28-7. Bay City won the DI 4a State Championship that year. La Grange played them again in week 0 at the Alamo Dome HEB Classic in 2001 and lost 9-7. Both teams went to state that year and lost. Interesting history between these two schools back then.

speedbump
12-10-2013, 07:57 PM
It was forney in 2000.

He was talking about regular season games against Van Vleck and BC..

gameface
12-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Yep- Van Vleck produced one of the best FB's I've ever seen- aTm Massive thigh George Woodard! LG has great tradition & are ready for dawgs. Red & white got game but so do mighty Leps! Again, both teams even up with size, speed, ability & balanced O's & D's. Two pivotal area's that matter for victory this Friday night IMO-who will control LOS & who will score most in 1st Q!? Whatever team owns these categories will get the momentum & have the fire needed to score & endure for successful outcome. Again, who wants the victory more? It all starts & finishes in the trenches. Strap on your boots dawgs, LG bringing the Calvary of Cats to Mansfield!

db1980
12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't say LaGrange is even close to being balanced. If you look at it purely from a statistical standpoint they aren't either. They may be efficient in the passing game, but they are a run oriented offense. I have seen the videos and yes they match up in size, but in the skill position I'll give the nod to Carthage easily.

JBizzle
12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't say LaGrange is even close to being balanced. If you look at it purely from a statistical standpoint they aren't either. They may be efficient in the passing game, but they are a run oriented offense. I have seen the videos and yes they match up in size, but in the skill position I'll give the nod to Carthage easily.
Where'd you find video?

bird_fan
12-11-2013, 12:54 AM
He was talking about regular season games against Van Vleck and BC..
the 1975 game with Van Vleck was a bi district play off won by La Grange 39-0

OldBison75
12-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Carthage should win this game, but they better be on their game. If you give LaGrange a little life they will thrive on it and can get on a roll that is hard to stop. Every little bit of success they have inspires them and pumps them up. The battle will be in the trenches and the team that gets any advantage there can dictate the outcome of this game. Oh, a don't underestimate the ability of either QB to beat you with the pass, they are both much better than you realize because they don't have the staggering numbers. Both can beat you in the passing game too.

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 04:03 AM
http://etsn.fm/in-a-program-known-for-offense-carthages-defense-shines-in-the-2013-postseason/

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 04:03 AM
http://etsn.fm/carthages-tevin-pipkin-the-etsn-fm-dairy-queen-offensive-player-of-the-week/

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 04:16 AM

+1000...Ready for Friday night!!!

gameface
12-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Wow- I see how you acquired your handle! Calling LG "not even close to being balanced" is JV-ish! Let's see, 13-0 in tough district where all 3 teams made it to midpoint of playoff's-that's not just validatation- it's called verification!, final 4 in Div. I 3A, effective running style O but can throw highly accurate passes when needed, 1 int. ALL year, O-fence avg. 51 pts./ game in playoff's, consistently protected our LG QB & Def. only allowed 8 total points scored in last 3 out of 4 playoff games with exception of Ingleside scored 24 to our 61 racked points- oh, B-team played bulk of last 1.5 Q's! So, not sure what mixture of wassail your drinking & what classified video's you're referring to? JV, if you were my student, I would have you write a paper on the definition of balance. Ok, enough of this reprimand- I gotta take a break- my ribs hurt from laughing too hard at the " not even close" jargon! LG has game face on- happy to offer you a beautiful origional purple Leopard jersey for game & visitor seat on 50 to view " balance" in a new light! LG by 10.

whitelightning5
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow- I see how you acquired your handle! Calling LG "not even close to being balanced" is JV-ish! Let's see, 13-0 in tough district where all 3 teams made it to midpoint of playoff's-that's not just validatation- it's called verification!, final 4 in Div. I 3A, effective running style O but can throw highly accurate passes when needed, 1 int. ALL year, O-fence avg. 51 pts./ game in playoff's, consistently protected our LG QB & Def. only allowed 8 total points scored in last 3 out of 4 playoff games with exception of Ingleside scored 24 to our 61 racked points- oh, B-team played bulk of last 1.5 Q's! So, not sure what mixture of wassail your drinking & what classified video's you're referring to? JV, if you were my student, I would have you write a paper on the definition of balance. Ok, enough of this reprimand- I gotta take a break- my ribs hurt from laughing too hard at the " not even close" jargon! LG has game face on- happy to offer you a beautiful origional purple Leopard jersey for game & visitor seat on 50 to view " balance" in a new light! LG by 10.

I really didn't want to get in the middle of this conversation, but it's posts like this that make me. To "reprimand" someone for stating the obvious....pshhh. Get off your high horse. People like you give LG fans a bad name. He is right...from a statistical standpoint your offense is not balanced. Look at the running plays vs passing plays. Look at the rushing yards vs passing yards. If I'm the passing game, I'm falling off of that see saw. Now, your team is very complete, but to say balanced isn't quite accurate. Bottomline, your team hasnt been forced to throw the ball very often this season. You've been able to run at will. Your QB has been a game manager, and has been very effective at his role. He runs when he needs to and throws when he has to. He is very accurate, but throwing 10-15 times per game doesn't say BALANCE. You're very good at what you do. I don't see the issue in claiming who you are. You're a run first team. You run the ball to set up the play action, and you're good at what you do. Until your play selection (pass vs. run) is within 5 plays of each other, don't go on a rant to argue that you're balanced. I will give you COMPLETE, but not BALANCED.

gameface
12-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I'll take complete! Stating the obvious.. not likely, " not even close " as you concur w/ JV. This semantic discrepancy could be perpetual! Peace my friend!

whitelightning5
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I'll take complete! Stating the obvious.. not likely, " not even close " as you concur w/ JV. This semantic discrepancy could be perpetual! Peace my friend!

I would take complete too. If my team was complete we would have played you last week. We weren't and we got exposed. I don't know who JV is, but db1980 is the comment you responded to. And if the stats are incorrect, please let me know. At the moment, we are rolling with the only stats that we have been provided by your fellow Lep supporters. If you have some super secret stats, please share with the world. Until then, it appears that you've run the ball way more than you've thrown.

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
http://etsn.fm/carthage-la-grange-meet-in-state-semifinals-for-second-time-in-five-years/

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Well after reading the ETSN article I will give only the stats posted. LG QB attempted 138 passes this season. LG top 3 rushers have 380 combined rushes. 138 to 380 is not close to being balanced. I really dont see what it matters, cause LG hasn't needed the pass. They have done very well being a run first team. But those saying they are a "balanced" offense are mistaken or don't understand the term. If you take the same stats for Carthage: QB attempted 349 passes this season. Carthage top 3 rushers have 325 combined carries. That is 349 to 325. That is the definition of "balanced". I am not saying who has the better offense, just stating the fact that LG is not a balanced offense, and Carthage is. So I think this argument is finished.

Dawgs
12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Carthage QB Blake Bogenschutz has set virtually all Carthage passing records except completions (242) and single-season yards (3,860), both which Anthony Morgan set in 2010. <<< This comes from the article I posted. Nothing to do with this game, but I just wanted to relive some of Carthage's glory days, Anthony Morgan was a BEAST!!!! For his size he was the most gutsy player I ever seen. Anybody that got to see him in the 2010 playoffs knows what I am talking about.

whitelightning5
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Well after reading the ETSN article I will give only the stats posted. LG QB attempted 138 passes this season. LG top 3 rushers have 380 combined rushes. 138 to 380 is not close to being balanced. I really dont see what it matters, cause LG hasn't needed the pass. They have done very well being a run first team. But those saying they are a "balanced" offense are mistaken or don't understand the term. If you take the same stats for Carthage: QB attempted 349 passes this season. Carthage top 3 rushers have 325 combined carries. That is 349 to 325. That is the definition of "balanced". I am not saying who has the better offense, just stating the fact that LG is not a balanced offense, and Carthage is. So I think this argument is finished.

That's what I'm saying....

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 12:23 PM
LG is first a running team second a passing team. Always has been this season. When Gameface and I referred to "balanced" we meant we do both equally well but, as for % passing - running you are correct to say the numbers are not balanced. FWIW the Leps are a very effective football team in moving the chains which in the end is what is important on offense. Leps are underdogs for the first time this season. We will see how they respond to that Friday. I have a good feeling about our chances and as a homer have picked them to win.

hookandladder
12-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Carthage QB Blake Bogenschutz has set virtually all Carthage passing records except completions (242) and single-season yards (3,860), both which Anthony Morgan set in 2010. <<< This comes from the article I posted. Nothing to do with this game, but I just wanted to relive some of Carthage's glory days, Anthony Morgan was a BEAST!!!! For his size he was the most gutsy player I ever seen. Anybody that got to see him in the 2010 playoffs knows what I am talking about.

I was at our game with Carthage in 2009 , was definitely impressed with Morgan and he was a Junior at that time. Just curious did he or is he playing any college football, I know he was not very big but played much bigger. Kid could play.

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, that kid was good especially outside the pocket. Sort of like how our #12 throws on the run or in play action. Morgan was a playmaker for sure and he had a stud TE as well to throw too.

itmoney100
12-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Break Down of the two teams!! http://etsn.fm/carthage-la-grange-meet-in-state-semifinals-for-second-time-in-five-years/

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
previously posted itmoney. Nice home town newsy article though.

gameface
12-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Break Down of the two teams!! http://etsn.fm/carthage-la-grange-meet-in-state-semifinals-for-second-time-in-five-years/

nice article- comparison's were complete- discussed balance topic-lol

itmoney100
12-11-2013, 01:46 PM
http://etsn.fm/in-a-program-known-for-offense-carthages-defense-shines-in-the-2013-postseason/

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 02:43 PM

itmoney you have not been following this thread haven't you? Previously posted LOL. Nice article though. LG has a defense too BTW.

teetle
12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Here I am having to pick between to programs I really like and really respect. Ive sen both of La Granges state champion team play against Van Vleck in 1975 and Bay City in 2000 The first time I heard of Carthage
was in 1991 i was following A@M cons because they had eleminated El Campo at Bi district T^hen who could not notice Carthage winning state 3 years in a row so all in all i got to be a homer for region 4 and go with La Grange I sorry to pick against another program i like and respect so much needless to say I hope one of these teams wins state. Also 6 of the last 9 teams that have eleminated the Ricebirds have played in the state title game slo your both looking great so far
Elcampoes wases 4 aes and drops downs toos 3a and acts likes theys owns de place. Coluubuses shows yous whats it was likes. LaGrange shows yous whats it bes like. Yous ones heres talkings likes a homer. Maybes Homers Simpsons.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Bullaholic
12-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Elcampoes wases 4 aes and drops downs toos 3a and acts likes theys owns de place. Coluubuses shows yous whats it was likes. LaGrange shows yous whats it bes like. Yous ones heres talkings likes a homer. Maybes Homers Simpsons.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

You're not related to Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars are you, teetle?....:D

gameface
12-11-2013, 03:07 PM
language seems little closer to LA than central TX

hollywood
12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
What's stirring on over here?

BandWagonFan
12-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Have not been able to find any videos for LaGrange. Has anyone else? If so can you put some links up or tell how to get to them.

teetle
12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
You're not related to Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars are you, teetle?....:D

No.:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Bullaholic
12-11-2013, 03:54 PM
No.:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

No offense intended---you just seem to speak the same language....

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm heading over to the stadium to watch today's practice. I'll report back latter.

JBizzle
12-11-2013, 05:02 PM
itmoney you have not been following this thread haven't you? Previously posted LOL. Nice article though. LG has a defense too BTW.

Everything ok? You seem a bit touchy today? We just assumed La Grange stayed off the field when they didn't have the ball. Couldn't understand how those other teams didn't put up more points. You saying they have a defense brings the picture into focus!

Relax man! Y'all are good. It's gonna be hard fought! And a lot of fun!

That article about the defense is written because people have accused them of being Carthage's Achilles heel all season. They were young, inexperienced, and small to start the season...now they're just small! They will have to overcome a size advantage on LG's part, but they are athletic and have learned their jobs.

Can't wait! Too bad I am working Friday night!

bird_fan
12-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I justtalkig abput thge 2 teams that are playing this week and what I know about them why are yo talking crap about EC
by the way
they sure owned Sealy :2thumbsup

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Everything ok? You seem a bit touchy today? We just assumed La Grange stayed off the field when they didn't have the ball. Couldn't understand how those other teams didn't put up more points. You saying they have a defense brings the picture into focus!

Relax man! Y'all are good. It's gonna be hard fought! And a lot of fun!

That article about the defense is written because people have accused them of being Carthage's Achilles heel all season. They were young, inexperienced, and small to start the season...now they're just small! They will have to overcome a size advantage on LG's part, but they are athletic and have learned their jobs.

Can't wait! Too bad I am working Friday night!

Sorry that you are working Friday night. I imagine a lot of folks who would like to see this game are in the same boat. I wish it had been scheduled for Saturday.

Speaking of defense I just returned from watching ours practice. They are showing several new looks and are very sharp. Yes it will be a great game.

db1980
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I really didn't want to get in the middle of this conversation, but it's posts like this that make me. To "reprimand" someone for stating the obvious....pshhh. Get off your high horse. People like you give LG fans a bad name. He is right...from a statistical standpoint your offense is not balanced. Look at the running plays vs passing plays. Look at the rushing yards vs passing yards. If I'm the passing game, I'm falling off of that see saw. Now, your team is very complete, but to say balanced isn't quite accurate. Bottomline, your team hasnt been forced to throw the ball very often this season. You've been able to run at will. Your QB has been a game manager, and has been very effective at his role. He runs when he needs to and throws when he has to. He is very accurate, but throwing 10-15 times per game doesn't say BALANCE. You're very good at what you do. I don't see the issue in claiming who you are. You're a run first team. You run the ball to set up the play action, and you're good at what you do. Until your play selection (pass vs. run) is within 5 plays of each other, don't go on a rant to argue that you're balanced. I will give you COMPLETE, but not BALANCED.

I think the definition of balance is escaping you. And there is no shame in being a run oriented offense. Many teams have had success with them. Liberty hill andcelina are just 2 that come to mind. Balance doesn't mean that you are proficient when you do pass, it means that you use the pass almost as much as you do the run. Balance is running in passing downs and passing in running downs. You can trashmy handle or jv status on the downlow, but you are the one failing to realize what is being said of your team. Balanceis balance. What you are saying is what I am saying......Lagrange is a run oriented offense that can pass efficiently when they do. When 70% of your offense comes from one dimension you aren't balanced. That's all I was saying.

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 07:47 PM
db I think we can all agree that what you say is correct. LG runs primarily the football and has an efficient passing game to augment the offense and keep the defense off balance...opps there that word again. My bad :(.

JBizzle
12-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I can tell everyone is ready for this game! Lol!

Pudlugger
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I can tell everyone is ready for this game! Lol!

Yes this is the game of the decade for LG. Coach Kates is going to pull out all the stops Friday. No need to hold anything back for later. We either win and go to State or break out the basketballs. The playbook will be wide open and the defense reinforced. Everyone is healthy. Less then 48 more hours to go.

Ville-D
12-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Any other Stephenville folks going to watch this in Friday?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

gameface
12-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Glad to here LG boys looking sharp & have some fresh looks- sounds complete to me! Just planted 2 LG purple & gold victory flags-one in the corner of my lot & one @ the office corner- now need some wind with the cold air-opposite of the hot air displayed today- lol. LG has GAMEFACE on! Leps by 10.

Didn't see either play this year but I like the Carthage attitude. Dawgs by 2 scores

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Didn't see either play this year but I like the Carthage attitude. Dawgs by 2 scores

I don't know much about the attitude of Carthage players. I expect they are counting on winning. I know the Leopards have had winning state as their #1 team goal and are on the threshold of achieving that so their attitude is to do whatever is necessary to win this game. FWIW Carthage fans and team pretty much mirror those from La Grange. Both communities are excited and enthusiastic about this game and their teams. After a winning attitude what counts is talent, preparation and coaching followed by execution. From what I've seen from the perspective of a fan and commenter on this board the Leps are peaking right now. This is going to be an uphill battle as most folks, like you, favor Carthage. The Leopards received very little attention from the experts on this board and in the high school sports media early on as legacy teams such as Bellville, Giddings, El Campo, and others who fell off the radar early on got all the accolades. That is fine with me. A teams strength is measured on the field every Friday night they play. This is an extraordinary Leopard football team. One that only comes around in a generation or two. So far the La Grange Leopards have managed to win and I know they will play to win tomorrow night. They are well coached,have a winning attitude and are prepared.

gameface
12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
concur! LG by 10. Game face on.

whitelightning5
12-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I think the definition of balance is escaping you. And there is no shame in being a run oriented offense. Many teams have had success with them. Liberty hill andcelina are just 2 that come to mind. Balance doesn't mean that you are proficient when you do pass, it means that you use the pass almost as much as you do the run. Balance is running in passing downs and passing in running downs. You can trashmy handle or jv status on the downlow, but you are the one failing to realize what is being said of your team. Balanceis balance. What you are saying is what I am saying......Lagrange is a run oriented offense that can pass efficiently when they do. When 70% of your offense comes from one dimension you aren't balanced. That's all I was saying.

You may want to re-read my post db1980. It's not me you need to have beef with. It's not me who was trashing your handle or your jv status. I've been the one echoing your point. You may want to turn your attention to gameface, not me. As you and I both said, their offense is not the definition of balance. They run the ball. They are effective in what they do, running and throwing. So no...the definition of balance is not escaping me. I'm very familiar with the word and the terminology as it relates to this sport.

FYI...the one calling you out for being ranked in the JV classification....they are actually on JV too. So that speaks volumes.

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm certain Coach Kates has been preparing for this game for some time. We here in La Grange who have been following 3a high school football and this team closely have known since before the season began that the road to state went through Carthage. Kates knows the Carthage Bulldogs' about as well as any opposing coach could possibly know. The Leopard coaches have done their homework and have an excellent game plan.

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 09:18 AM
You may want to re-read my post db1980. It's not me you need to have beef with. It's not me who was trashing your handle or your jv status. I've been the one echoing your point. You may want to turn your attention to gameface, not me. As you and I both said, their offense is not the definition of balance. They run the ball. They are effective in what they do, running and throwing. So no...the definition of balance is not escaping me. I'm very familiar with the word and the terminology as it relates to this sport.

FYI...the one calling you out for being ranked in the JV classification....they are actually on JV too. So that speaks volumes.

The balance of what you say is correct.:D

teetle
12-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I justtalkig abput thge 2 teams that are playing this week and what I know about them why are yo talking crap about EC
by the way
they sure owned Sealy :2thumbsup

Yesa that bes trues. Buts thats will changes. 3as isses nots a cake walk. The teams thats bes playing nows is goods. unlikes Elcampo and Sealy thats nots toos goods and Vamelek worses thans thats.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

teetle
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Pud, I knows that yous bes rights. They hases an excellents games plans. theys ecutes its wells Go Leps:bigcry::hairpunk::hairpunk::bigcry:

jason
12-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Any other Stephenville folks going to watch this in Friday?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D
I'm gonna have my wife drop me off on our way to Forney if I can convince my dad/brother to meet me there.

I'm picking Carthage just because that's who I picked in my pick'em bracket but part of me wants to see La Grange win by 25.

whitelightning5
12-12-2013, 09:40 AM
The balance of what you say is correct.:D

Who knew that the word BALANCE would spark such a dang debate...lol. People are getting fired up in here.

panfan
12-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Go La grange - Any town with a song about them has my vote. Good luck!

Dawgs
12-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm gonna have my wife drop me off on our way to Forney if I can convince my dad/brother to meet me there.

I'm picking Carthage just because that's who I picked in my pick'em bracket but part of me wants to see La Grange win by 25.

Now why would you say a thing like that? I would hate to see Ville get beat by 25 :taunt:

YTBulldogs
12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Go La grange - Any town with a song about them has my vote. Good luck!

"Who let the Carthage Bulldogs out" who who who-- is a song too.

jason
12-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Now why would you say a thing like that? I would hate to see Ville get beat by 25 :taunt:
Ha. That very well could happen. :hairpunk:

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Glad you are going to see the Leps whip the Bulldogs Jason.:D Good luck to the Jackets Saturday.

itmoney100
12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
State semi finals podcast http://etsn.fm/etsn-fm-state-semifinal-podcast-breaking-down-all-the-football-playoff-action-with-game-predictions-audio/

jason
12-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Glad you are going to see the Leps whip the Bulldogs Jason.:D Good luck to the Jackets Saturday.

I'm gonna try. If dad or brother don't go then I won't be able to.

Ville-D
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna try. If dad or brother don't go then I won't be able to.

I will be at UTSW Med. Center in Dallas working on Friday and will stop and watch this game on the way home. I can give you a ride back to Stephenville if needed.

jason
12-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I will be at UTSW Med. Center in Dallas working on Friday and will stop and watch this game on the way home. I can give you a ride back to Stephenville if needed.
Gotta get to Forney.
Going to the game Saturday and then a Christmas thing on Sunday.

db1980
12-12-2013, 01:11 PM

My apologies. I thought I quoted them.

gameface
12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Just let me know, if you wanna go, to see that... victory completed by LG.... gotta lot of nice gals....ahow, how, how, how! LOL

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
State semi finals podcast http://etsn.fm/etsn-fm-state-semifinal-podcast-breaking-down-all-the-football-playoff-action-with-game-predictions-audio/

Just listened to the pod cast on etsn. These two homers no jack diddly about La Grange LOL They said La Grange wont be able to put the athletes on the field like Carthage. These guys haven't seen the Leps play or even some tapes yet they make that kind of statement. Man I am so looking forward to tomorrow night.

1st and goal
12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Somebody remind me why this game wasn't played at or near Huntsville?

oldtownag
12-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Same reason its not being played in Nacogdoches.

gameface
12-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Perhaps the warmth of Jerry World located next door had leverage! ha, ha! Likely had something to do with who won the toss(Dawgs)!? I agree that the sunken Bearcat field was a better midpoint to handle this final 4 matchup! LG has good memories from Sam in late 90's when we beat Corrugan- Camden in 3 OT's in final 8 I believe:Irony, Lawrence Dobbins(JK's daddy- fasted guy out of all A's in 100 that year with times)put a pop on right sweep tailback- loaf of bread went vertical- Dobbins took it 80+ yards for weird but exciting, nerve racking victory! I appreciate Buff support as we have backed you when Carthage has been on the platter. Hope to win this for all of Fayette & Lee counties. LG has Gameface on- victory by 10.

PappaFeelGood
12-12-2013, 07:21 PM
What did ya expect Pud. The ET should stand for EXTRATERRESTRIAL. FLAT OUT HOMER JOURNALISM.

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 07:25 PM

I wanted BearKat stadium at Sam Houston State on a Saturday too. It seems Kates has continued his losing streak in coin tosses LOL going 5 for 5!

Pudlugger
12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Same reason its not being played in Nacogdoches.

and that would be?

oldtownag
12-12-2013, 07:39 PM
and that would be?

Nacogdoches is closer to Carthage than La Grange.
Huntsville is closer to La Grange than Carthage.
Mansfield is about the same distance for both.

I think this was an agreed to location not the result of a lost coin flip. Carthage would have picked a closer venue if a coin flip would have decided the location.

P.S. I know that Huntsville is only slightly closer to LG than Carthage.