PDA

View Full Version : Weather affecting playoffs

caleb_mccaig
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I know that since I've been old enough to realize playoffs and understand situations I have never seen the playoffs affected this much by weather. Can anyone else remember it being like this? I'm only 23 so it's not like I have been around the playoffs as long as some might.

GrTigers6
12-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I know that since I've been old enough to realize playoffs and understand situations I have never seen the playoffs affected this much by weather. Can anyone else remember it being like this? I'm only 23 so it's not like I have been around the playoffs as long as some might.

I'm 44 and cant remember a time that we have had two ice warnings this early:crazy:

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
It was often this cold this early in North and Northeast Texas when I was growing up. It's only been in the last 20 years or so that it seems to have gotten warmer.

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
via twitter

Texas HS Football ‏@texashsfootball 8m

Graham vs Shallowater is still on for Friday 7:00p .. Graham coach Kenny Davidson says they are in "holding pattern" for now. #txhsfb

toddg
12-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I remember being at pennington field when Alvarado played Commerce in qtrs in 94'..it was in the upper 20s with the windchill in the teens...
seems like it was always this cold when i went deer hunting in van horn every nov in the 1970s

Bullaholic
12-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Nothing official, but I'm guessing that there are going to be several playoff game postponements---this weather system is genuine and packing ice.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
It is funny...when we played for State in 90 we had to drive from Marshall to Houston in sleet and snow..never was talk of postponing game

Bullaholic
12-05-2013, 03:48 PM
It is funny...when we played for State in 90 we had to drive from Marshall to Houston in sleet and snow..never was talk of postponing game

Sleet and snow can be tricky, ice accumulations on road surfaces, not just overpasses, is not to be fooled with. BTW, sonny...did I ever tell you about how we used to play back-in-the day with no face masks and broken bones???? :D

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Same with Sweetwater back in '88 when we had the #1 4A team in the state. Drove up to Lubbock for a first round playoff game in some of the worst weather to play Hereford in the "Ice Bowl". We got our butts kicked. Apparently Hereford was more prepared than we were to play on two inches of ice and near zero temps at Jones Stadium.

Rattler
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Sweetwater Red.... Y'all got the field covered right?!?!?

Rabid Cougar
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
'81 3A State Championship game at Floyd Casey in Waco Cameron Vs Gilmer. it was a toasty 32 with a north wind about 20 miles per hour.

toddg
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
these days the players have under armour and other "gear" designed to retain body heat and offer some degree of comfort in excessive cold environments..antbody remember the gear we had back in the day?...thermal underware, and it didnt help much!!.
the driving conditions is a serious matter though..everybody going to games tomorrow night please be careful and remember..its all about layers when dealing with cold and wind chill

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Sweetwater Red.... Y'all got the field covered right?!?!?

Lol, no idea. But, I had planned on driving by after work and giving it a look.

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2013, 04:47 PM
'81 3A State Championship game at Floyd Casey in Waco Cameron Vs Gilmer. it was a toasty 32 with a north wind about 20 miles per hour.

I was there. Drove up from Austin. What a waste of time. Football was very boring in those days, in retrospect. But we didn't know it at the time. Gilmer didn't know high school teams were allowed to throw the football. :)