PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater - Merkel article

wildstangs
11-01-2003, 02:43 AM
check out those stats at the bottom!! Not trying to brag, but Sweetwaters D deserves the recognition.

Sweetwater shuts out Merkel, 12-0
By Garner Roberts / Special to the Reporter-News
October 31, 2003

SWEETWATER — It was probably too much to ask of the Merkel Badgers to earn a playoff bid, their first since 1963, on Halloween night against the district’s defending champion.

The ghosts of the last 40 years continue to haunt the Badgers, this time in the form of the Sweetwater Mustangs, who blanked Merkel 12-0 here Friday night to remain perfect in District 3-3A competition.

Coach Kent Jackson’s team got two touchdowns from Josh Jackson and standout performances from defenders Giles Montgomery and Brendan Pittman to improve its records to 6-2 for the season and 4-0 in district play before its Nov. 7 encounter with Seminole.

Merkel (6-3, 2-2) can still claim that elusive playoff trip next week with a win over Lamesa.

"It was exactly the kind of game I expected," Jackson said. "Both teams played great defense and played well up front. The turnovers pretty well balanced out. The difference was we were able to keep them out of the end zone."

Sweetwater got its touchdowns in the second and fourth quarters, but after a 60-yard drive on its first possession Merkel never seriously threatened against Montgomery, Pittman and the Mustang defense. The Mustangs lost three fumbles to give Merkel its chances, but the challengers failed to take advantage.

"I had faith in our defense to do what we had to do," Jackson added. "After we got the lead, we stayed with the running game to work on the clock."

Merkel’s opening drive, helped along with a Mustang penalty on the first fourth-down play, reached as close as the Mustang eight, but two incomplete passes were followed by a missed field goal.

After Merkel punted on its next series, Sweetwater grabbed the lead. The 89-yard drive took 5:35 off the clock with 16 plays. Jackson took scoring honors from one yard out to put the hosts on top 6-0 with 9:47 remaining in the half.

The Mustangs stayed on the ground the entire drive, with Alan Copeland rushing for 39 yards.

Sweetwater’s second fumble 2:36 before intermission presented Merkel an opportunity to at least tie the game, needing only a 34-yard drive. But Montgomery again visited the Badger backfield for a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, and Pittman followed with the first of his three interceptions.

Jackson, who led all runners with 116 yards, got his second TD after another interception. This time the interception came in the fourth quarter from Seth Hatley, and the Mustangs needed only to cover 18 yards to put more points on the scoreboard.

Jackson’s nine-yard run came with 4:09 to play.

Merkel managed only two first downs and 23 total yards in the final three periods. The Badgers’ defense turned in a top game of its own, led by Justin and Brandon Head, Chris Cobb, Christopher Hart, Wayne Jowers, Brady Rudledge and Jerrad Knight.

After completing his first two passes, Cobb was only 3-of-14 the rest of the game with four interceptions. Josh Garza, Michael Straley, Austen Kite and Russell Clayton also turned in key plays for the Mustang defense.

Sweetwater, behind its offensive line of Garrett Clayton, Ty Palmer, Zach Gilbert, Kevin Jones and Bryson Oliver, ran off 70 offensive plays to only 43 for Merkel.

Merkel 0 0 0 0—0
Sweetwater 0 6 0 6—12

Second quarter

Sweetwater — Josh Jackson 2 run, (Kurt Hale kick failed), 9:47

Fourth quarter

Sweetwater — Jackson 9 run, (conversion failed), 4:09

Merkel Sweetwater
First Downs 6 20
Rushes-yards 27-52 63-253
Passing-yards 43 20
Comp-Att-Int 5-16-4 3-6-0
Punts-avg. 5-41 4-29
Fumbles-lost 0-0 4-3
Penalties-yards 4-25 4-20

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — Merkel: Chris Hart 10-40 Sweetwater: Josh Jackson 21-97, 2 TDs, Jeremy Thompson 17-73, Alan Copeland 19-73.

PASSING — Merkel: Chris Cobb 5-15-4, 43 yards. Sweetwater: Jeremy Thompson 3-6-0, 20 yards.

RECEIVING — Merkel: Riley Lambert 4-33. Sweetwater: Alan Copeland 1-15.

Knightmoon
11-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Great Game Sweetwater!!! Merkel's coaching sometimes makes me crazy though. And I will ask all you Sweetwater fans--Why would you, after already throwing two interceptions, pinned back inside the 20, it being a 6-0 game late in the 4th quarter, throw a pass, only for it to be picked off, and set up a score for the other team that would definetly stop any hopes of winning? I mean, Merkel was not having much success running the ball either, but I think I take my chance on the ground deep in Sweetwater territory. Either way---Great Game Sweetwater. Well balanced-running attack, and absolutely stifling Defense.

wildstangs
11-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Knightmoon, it was a very hard fought game by both teams. Kept us all on the edge of our seat the whole game. Ya'll should have no trouble with Lamesa this Friday. I think you guys will definitely give Greenwood a game.

Stangster
11-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Knightmoon:
Great Game Sweetwater!!! Merkel's coaching sometimes makes me crazy though. And I will ask all you Sweetwater fans--Why would you, after already throwing two interceptions, pinned back inside the 20, it being a 6-0 game late in the 4th quarter, throw a pass, only for it to be picked off, and set up a score for the other team that would definetly stop any hopes of winning? I mean, Merkel was not having much success running the ball either, but I think I take my chance on the ground deep in Sweetwater territory. Either way---Great Game Sweetwater. Well balanced-running attack, and absolutely stifling Defense.I'm sure the coaches were trying to make something happen, maybe hoping for a breakaway TD. Sweetwater had shut down Merkel's running game (y'all averaged less than 2 yds a carry). It seemed like an act of desperation but what choice did they have? Definitely a high risk call. I'm just glad our secondary has become a force to be reckoned with. It didn't use to be the case, just ask Greenwood (it would have been a different game altogether if it had been). It was a great defensive game to watch last night. A hard fought contest by both teams (you have our respect). Go Mustangs!

<small>[ November 01, 2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Stangster ]</small>