PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville focused on second straight 3A title--- Star-Telegram

hollywood
11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/varsity/m/#/2013/11/27/v-touch/5374321/stephenville-focused-on-second.html

Stephenville focused on second straight 3A title

By Greg BogomolSpecial to the Star-Telegram Posted Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013

When Stephenville dropped to class 3A two years ago people knew the traditional power would instantly be a state title contender year in and year out.

A year ago, the Yellow Jackets (10-1) didn’t disappoint as they went 13-1 to capture a state title. They face Big Spring (9-3) at 2 p.m. Friday at Abilene Wylie in a Division I game.

“We’ve got a bunch of great kids who are executing the game plan well,” coach Joseph Gillespie said. “The kids have a lot of talent and character and a desire to win. They have the dedication to win and it makes them a lot of fun to coach.”

After dropping a Week 2 decision to Aledo 56-14, the Jackets have been scoring an average of 42.3 points per game. Leading the way has been quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who has thrown for 1,842 yards and 25 touchdowns while playing in limited action after the team’s first two games this season. He has also run for 746 yards and 12 scores.

“Jarrett’s a tremendous leader not just on the field, but off the field as well in our locker room and classroom,” Gillespie said. “He’s well known in the community and is a very humble young man and is just another in a long line of strong quarterbacks that we’ve had here for some reason that I hope continues.”

Kaegun Williams, a freshman, is another key offense weapon for the Jackets as he has picked up 1,157 yards and 11 touchdowns. He picked up 301 yards on 23 carries and three touchdowns in the team’s 49-10 bi-district victory against Brownwood and then added 216 yards on 16 carries and two scores in Friday’s 63-21 area round victory against Springtown.

“He is a pretty talented young man,” Gillespie said. “Offensively right now were playing great and defensively we’re holding them.”

Despite blowing out their past nine opponents the Jackets know a challenge awaits them.

“You can look at it two ways one is that you are able to stay healthy and create some quality depth of people that have played in that position instead of just having to throw them out there,” Gillespie said. “It makes us better all the way around with the experience the others gain. We were in the same boat and it paid of last year so we hope it does again.”

Stidham agrees and is ready to get challenged and play all four quarters.

“It kind of stinks not playing the whole game, but if you’re not playing whole game you’re doing something right,” he said. “I’m ready to play in a tight game and we will be ready when the time comes to all four quarter or overtime if that’s what we have to do.”

In order to advance to the regional finals they will have to find a way to stop a Big Spring offense that has a dual threat at quarterback, two solid receivers including one that stands 6’4” and two running backs including a freshman of their own.

“Nothing at this point will be disappointing, but our goal starting in January was going after a state title as do 1,000 other schools,” Gillespie said. “It’s getting to the point where you can start to smell it and there is a finish line at the end of the tunnel. If you are able to win this week, you basically have nine practices left.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/varsity/m/#/2013/11/27/v-touch/5374321/stephenville-focused-on-second.html#storylink=cpy

Sville
11-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Since October 1st the Stephenville defense is only giving up 1.3 points in the first half while the offense has been averaging 40.5

hollywood
11-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Since October 1st the Stephenville defense is only giving up 1.3 points in the first half while the offense has been averaging 40.5

That's awesome Sville. Also since October 1, a lot of underclassmen and 2's and 3's have gotten a lot of experience in the 2nd half. Depth on both sides of the ball is pertinent in the playoffs.

ctown81
11-27-2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/varsity/m/#/2013/11/27/v-touch/5374321/stephenville-focused-on-second.html

Stephenville focused on second straight 3A title

By Greg BogomolSpecial to the Star-Telegram Posted Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013

When Stephenville dropped to class 3A two years ago people knew the traditional power would instantly be a state title contender year in and year out.

A year ago, the Yellow Jackets (10-1) didn’t disappoint as they went 13-1 to capture a state title. They face Big Spring (9-3) at 2 p.m. Friday at Abilene Wylie in a Division I game.

“We’ve got a bunch of great kids who are executing the game plan well,” coach Joseph Gillespie said. “The kids have a lot of talent and character and a desire to win. They have the dedication to win and it makes them a lot of fun to coach.”

After dropping a Week 2 decision to Aledo 56-14, the Jackets have been scoring an average of 42.3 points per game. Leading the way has been quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who has thrown for 1,842 yards and 25 touchdowns while playing in limited action after the team’s first two games this season. He has also run for 746 yards and 12 scores.

“Jarrett’s a tremendous leader not just on the field, but off the field as well in our locker room and classroom,” Gillespie said. “He’s well known in the community and is a very humble young man and is just another in a long line of strong quarterbacks that we’ve had here for some reason that I hope continues.”

Kaegun Williams, a freshman, is another key offense weapon for the Jackets as he has picked up 1,157 yards and 11 touchdowns. He picked up 301 yards on 23 carries and three touchdowns in the team’s 49-10 bi-district victory against Brownwood and then added 216 yards on 16 carries and two scores in Friday’s 63-21 area round victory against Springtown.

“He is a pretty talented young man,” Gillespie said. “Offensively right now were playing great and defensively we’re holding them.”

Despite blowing out their past nine opponents the Jackets know a challenge awaits them.

“You can look at it two ways one is that you are able to stay healthy and create some quality depth of people that have played in that position instead of just having to throw them out there,” Gillespie said. “It makes us better all the way around with the experience the others gain. We were in the same boat and it paid of last year so we hope it does again.”

Stidham agrees and is ready to get challenged and play all four quarters.

“It kind of stinks not playing the whole game, but if you’re not playing whole game you’re doing something right,” he said. “I’m ready to play in a tight game and we will be ready when the time comes to all four quarter or overtime if that’s what we have to do.”

In order to advance to the regional finals they will have to find a way to stop a Big Spring offense that has a dual threat at quarterback, two solid receivers including one that stands 6’4” and two running backs including a freshman of their own.

“Nothing at this point will be disappointing, but our goal starting in January was going after a state title as do 1,000 other schools,” Gillespie said. “It’s getting to the point where you can start to smell it and there is a finish line at the end of the tunnel. If you are able to win this week, you basically have nine practices left.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/varsity/m/#/2013/11/27/v-touch/5374321/stephenville-focused-on-second.html#storylink=cpy

I just threw up in my mouth.

toddg
11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
i just threw up in my mouth.

why?