PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got suggestions.....

panfan
11-27-2013, 11:26 AM
on defensive camps that might be available this spring and or summer? Plan on attending several of the college camps and clinics, but haven't found any that focus on defensive positions. Maybe they just don't exist?

caleb_mccaig
11-27-2013, 11:45 AM
on defensive camps that might be available this spring and or summer? Plan on attending several of the college camps and clinics, but haven't found any that focus on defensive positions. Maybe they just don't exist?

I went to the LSU camp in 07 and 08 as a DB. Probably some of the hardest two-a-days I've ever experienced. The 100% humidity with 100 degree heat doesn't help too much, but I learned a lot.

panfan
11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
I went to the LSU camp in 07 and 08 as a DB. Probably some of the hardest two-a-days I've ever experienced. The 100% humidity with 100 degree heat doesn't help too much, but I learned a lot.

Tell me more - sounds very interesting

caleb_mccaig
11-27-2013, 12:02 PM
They have a few sessions I know during the summer. I don't remember exactly how many days it was but you stay in the dorms, feed you three times a day from a cafeteria for two and then a homemade meal for the other, and I'm talking Jumbalaya or BBQ chicken it was awesome haha. You get to be with some of the best defensive coaches in the game, but some are also high school coaches that volunteer. The only issues I had were that the biggest group every year was the WR's and DB's was always the smallest. There was 10 DB's going against 50-60 WR's in my group so we never got a breather and that the stuff they teach isn't the same techniques as my actual team taught, such as yards off the receiver and angles.

It was a fun time, I'm glad I went both years. You get to see and go up against and play with some of the best, I had to cover Odell Beckham Jr. my senior year and he got like three steps on me pretty easy haha but it was definitely a lot of fun. I remember one of my roommates my junior year was Marcus Davis from Clear Lake Clear Creek and I thought he was just a normal kid until DCTHSFB came out and he was one of the top DB's in the state.

Old Tiger
11-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd go a Bama or LSU camp for defense.

Rabid Cougar
11-27-2013, 02:10 PM
From my experience, there are camps you go to for fun and camps you go to to further the athletes football career. My oldest son also went to the same LSU camp as McCaig, I think they were sophmores. That was a fun camp. My son played 7 on 7 there (he was a DE )and got to be around all the big time coaches and recruits as mentioned by McCaig. He had a blast but it was a fun camp. He went to TCU's, A&M's and Baylor's Linemen camps.

You wont find defensive camps; you will find skill camps, Qb camps, kicking camps and linemen camps. Most if not all will have high school coaches teaching with the college position coaches overseeing them. You need to get on schools web sites to se when those camps are. They can range from one day to four days. They teach a lot of techniques and concepts that may or may not be the same as your highschool. That can sometimes cause problems back at school.

Like I said, check schools websites for Skills camps ( WRs, RBs, LBs and DBs) and Linemen camps (OL and DL).

toddg
11-27-2013, 02:35 PM
From my experience, there are camps you go to for fun and camps you go to to further the athletes football career. My oldest son also went to the same LSU camp as McCaig, I think they were sophmores. That was a fun camp. My son played 7 on 7 there (he was a DE )and got to be around all the big time coaches and recruits as mentioned by McCaig. He had a blast but it was a fun camp. He went to TCU's, A&M's and Baylor's Linemen camps.

You wont find defensive camps; you will find skill camps, Qb camps, kicking camps and linemen camps. Most if not all will have high school coaches teaching with the college position coaches overseeing them. You need to get on schools web sites to se when those camps are. They can range from one day to four days. They teach a lot of techniques and concepts that may or may not be the same as your highschool. That can sometimes cause problems back at school.

Like I said, check schools websites for Skills camps ( WRs, RBs, LBs and DBs) and Linemen camps (OL and DL).

was there a particular D lineman camp that your son got the most benefit?

Rabid Cougar
11-27-2013, 07:07 PM
was there a particular D lineman camp that your son got the most benefit?

None of the regimes are still around of the ones he went to. I would not know which one to recommend presently. Check with Baylor, TCU and North Texas. They usually post their camps in February.

hollywood
11-27-2013, 07:22 PM
None of the regimes are still around of the ones he went to. I would not know which one to recommend presently. Check with Baylor, TCU and North Texas. They usually post their camps in February.

What about soccer camps? Know of any good soccer camps?

regaleagle
11-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Call Coach Hedland at N. Texas....he'll be able to hook you up or make suggestions.