PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody watch halftime?

BHKrystal06
10-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Does anybody actually watch the drill teams and bands perform at halftime? I know when I look at the stands when I'm on the field, nobody is really watching...

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2003, 05:47 PM
I usually watch Forney's performance, but not the other school's.

therealbulldogs
10-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I sit up in the stands and critique the bands. I was in the band until my sr. year and NO ONE cared that we looked like crap so I quit band and took dual credit biology. I especially enjoyed watching Burnet's band when they played in Bandera. I even went and watched a DCI competition in 2001 and that was just amazing!

BHKrystal06
10-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Exactly. Why does anybody bother with a performance if they know the other team isn't going to watch it? (Including Forney)

exbccards76'smom
10-30-2003, 05:49 PM
I watch both bands and drill teams do their thing. I understand how it feels to be out on that field and feel like noone is watching. Believe me, it's worse at college games. I have had to dodge beer cans and whiskey bottles before at college games.

BHKrystal06
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
DCI competitions are AMAZING! I love going to watch them.. It's a wonder what all they can do! eek! :)

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2003, 05:51 PM
BHKrystal06:
Exactly. Why does anybody bother with a performance if they know the other team isn't going to watch it? (Including Forney)I don't think most schools prepare a performance for the other school...it's usually aimed at the fans of their school. I know several people who would be extremely upset if the band and drill teams stopped performing...it's part of the football experience.

therealbulldogs
10-30-2003, 05:52 PM
I was talking about the band members didn't care that we looked like crap. I wanted to look good and they could care less.

therealbulldogs
10-30-2003, 05:55 PM
BHKrystal06:
DCI competitions are AMAZING! I love going to watch them.. It's a wonder what all they can do! eek! :) Have you ever seen them practice before? The Spirit of Atlanta practiced at our high school practice field and I think that they were more intense than our football practices were.

BHKrystal06
10-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Not to be rude to my fellow band members (I LOVE YOU GUYZ!) but a lot of our members don't care right now. We got serious one week before contest, and we got straight 2's. I don't know if anybody knows or not, but that's not good enough. We were devastated. Well, I guess we'll have to whip the incoming freshmen into shape! :D

sahen
10-30-2003, 06:15 PM
I graduated from sterling last year and we always watched the band...But i was in band so i dont know about the other students...but mostly former band members and the band parents r going to watch both bands...We sized up our band by watching the others and seen what we needed to do to get better (our football team never won either so the only people in our band a lotta times were the people that actually liked it since we had nothing to watch except the halftime performance)...Thats how we almost always got all 1's....and to the guy that said his band got serious 1 week before competition...yah that doesnt cut it i was in mine for 4 years...we were serious from day 1 until the day after our last competition...u gotta breath, live, eat, and sleep band until ur competition if u wanna advance...but im sure u know that and good luck next year....Anyways, yes people pay attention at halftime to answer the question just look up at the top of the stands about the 50 yard line that is where most of them r...

sahen
10-30-2003, 06:16 PM
correction...."To the girl* that said her* band got serious one week before competition" my apologies i didnt see ur name the first time i was reading so i didnt know u were a girl..

BurnetBandRules
10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
I know that our fans, especially on State years, are ALWAYS there to watch us perform. Last year, with our AWESOME SHOW, during one of our performances, the concession stand was even empty! Our fans are there to support all the orginizations....at the State Marching band Competetion in waco, we even had cheerleaders! Isn't that funny? Just thought I would add my two cents because I am a band member

CowboyFan
10-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Um, the reason they perform depends on the program, some bands are horrible and seem not to care to much. But, if you are in one of those competative programs, that makes it to state and goes to BOA competitions, then the football game half time is just a performance practice, I was in marching band for four year(only because we were good, went to 5A state last year), when we played at home games, the crowd would be quiet and everyone stayed in the stands to watch us... we had fun at all the games, the band got the crowd pumped up, at least at my school...

<small>[ October 30, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: CowboyFan ]</small>

Buckeye80
10-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Sorry for anyone offended, but I go smoke at halftime, and I come back once the music stops.

20dawgz05
10-30-2003, 09:02 PM
i feel like ppl watch us (burnet) when we perform we are pretty good i think if we were crappy ppl wouldnt watch i dunno....the other side has thrown stuff at us not mentioning any names *cough llano cough* through stuff at us last year i was about to jump over that side line lol ggrrrrr.....what do u expect from a buncha imbred hillbillys haha BURN!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2003, 09:41 PM
I watch both teams bands, etc at half.

HornetMom
10-30-2003, 10:02 PM
I, too, watch both teams band.
BHKrystal06 - our kids were really devastated over the 3 we received at contest, but put it past them and performed with pride last week. This week and next they will be performing a fun show with music the seniors picked out. I haven't seen it yet, so I'm looking forward to it. So keep you heads up and have fun, there are lots of people watching the bands at halftime.

RBARKER
10-30-2003, 10:15 PM
BHKrystal06:
Not to be rude to my fellow band members (I LOVE YOU GUYZ!) but a lot of our members don't care right now. We got serious one week before contest, and we got straight 2's. I don't know if anybody knows or not, but that's not good enough. We were devastated. Well, I guess we'll have to whip the incoming freshmen into shape! :D BHKrystal06, Just to let you know I support the Band. High School Football would not be complete with out it. I watch you guys at half time and when I bring my 2 year old that is his favorite part. The BH band looks sharp and sounds good, like I said Football and band goes together. Good luck in competitions

slpybear the bullfan
10-30-2003, 10:21 PM
We enjoy the band performance at half time... although I am usually on a mission to the concession stand for my four-year-old... :)

Big Cheese
10-30-2003, 11:14 PM
excuse me

but i really thought that the reason there is a football game is to give others something to watch
when the bands aren't playing !

aamove
10-30-2003, 11:53 PM
I watch both bands perform. It's great to see the different styles of bands. The Dallas bands are a totaly different experience. And the Forney Bands formations are amazing. Oh and by the way Forney got straight ones at competition on Tuesday. :D :D

eye of the tiger
10-30-2003, 11:56 PM
I enjoy watching the bands at halftime. Never got to watch them when I played football. I also enjoy going to band competitions. I have spent the last few Februarys in San Antonio for TMEA and ATSSB also. I also have a son who marched with Lone Star Drum and Bugle Corp. A division II corp. DCI competitions are well worth going to. A good football game and a good halftime is the best way to spend Friday night.

weatherag07
10-31-2003, 12:49 AM
I was heavily involved in Burnet's Esprit de Corps the past four years, so I never got to really full on experience halftime from a regular fan's point of view. Burnet's fans are great...the stands are never empty, like some other schools. But this year is kinda cool cuz I actually get to watch, but I find myself critiquing the groups so much! But it's nice.

But how about that Fightin Texas Aggie Band?? Now, THAT'S a great halftime!!! :D :D :D

PPHSfan
10-31-2003, 01:27 AM
I always watch the bands at halftime since I quit smoking. I really enjoy the bands that march Military Style.

SintonFan
10-31-2003, 03:53 AM
I watched Sinton last week and they were pretty good. Lots of Brass compared to the 80's. It's even more fun when you played in the band. Some of my favorite memories was performing in front of the home crowd with my parents watching.

Wildcat81
10-31-2003, 03:56 AM
I guess i'm not the only one working nights.

http://www.jamnart.com/art-intro/mascots/thumbnails/Wildcats.jpg

jason
10-31-2003, 08:15 AM
ive actually watched two performances this year...Burnet and Dallas Kimball...

Burnet was average, nothing special, typical hillbilly band...played music nobody has ever heard of...i wished I had gone and got something to eat instead of watching it

Now, Dallas Kimball on the other hand...thats a band performance. they know how to put on a show and entertain the crowd. thats the only school ive ever seen get a standing ovation for a half time performamce...

3afan
10-31-2003, 08:22 AM
OMG - please dont be too harsh on hm.

but Kimball is really good - they PERFORM, they don't just march around and play music no one's ever heard of (I'm not saying any specific band does that, but many do)

<small>[ October 31, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

BIG19
10-31-2003, 08:26 AM
I will watch both bands play. It is all about supporting the kids. After all, isn't that why we go to the football, basketball, volleyball, baseball games to name a few. The question I have is why shoul dwe NOT support these kids? They practice just has hard as many of the athletes. And Jason, the performance you saw in Burnet was not their best show. They steadily have gotten better as the season went on.

CatsDen
10-31-2003, 08:43 AM
I agree that the band is part of the Friday Night Lights experience, but I wish they would play music that fans could recognize. A Maceo's band was great (best I've heard all year)! I'm a big fan of Kennedale's drum line. My favorite band moment: Kennedale vs South Hills. The South Hills band played the National Anthem, then stood up and marched right out of the stadium (and never returned). Kennedale's band stayed and played through the downpour all night! I don't care if they would have played "3 Blind Mice" over and over and over....I was proud of them for staying out there with the rest of us! I have to be honest though...the halftime show doesn't really hold my attention.

St. Ivender
10-31-2003, 09:11 AM
slpybear the bullfan:
We enjoy the band performance at half time... although I am usually on a mission to the concession stand for my four-year-old... :) I always sent my 4 year old to the concession stand for me .

We should support the bands and drill teams by watching them and cheering them on.

weatherag07
10-31-2003, 09:18 AM
jason:
ive actually watched two performances this year...Burnet and Dallas Kimball...

Burnet was average, nothing special, typical hillbilly band...played music nobody has ever heard of...i wished I had gone and got something to eat instead of watching it

Now, Dallas Kimball on the other hand...thats a band performance. they know how to put on a show and entertain the crowd. thats the only school ive ever seen get a standing ovation for a half time performamce...Oh, wow...um, let's see...just wanted to clue you in that Burnet's group is NOT average. Take the drill team for example. Those girls do what a regular drill team does, while also acting as a flag corps. So they're like a flag corps who can actually dance and who is on average not chunky...
But this year isn't a state year, so yeah the show isn't THAT impressive I guess. But last year's was AWESOME, IMHO. Burnet's capable of great shows. But I gotta admit, I'm not that crazy about the show this year... :D
And Burnet has received standing ovations for their shows, too. :cool:

Sorry, Jason, I don't want to come off so defensive, but you kinda struck a nerve there! :D No harm done!

<small>[ October 31, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: weatherag07 ]</small>

BulldogGrl64
10-31-2003, 09:24 AM
I feel bad for the bands when I see the stands empty out at halftime. A lot of people come to see the football game, so when halftime comes, that's their chance to go to the bathroom and get food/drinks. I enjoy watching the halftime because it gives you the opportunity to see what other schools are doing and how they look. I was never in band, so I really don't know what it's like to look up at emptying stands at halftime, but I would just imagine that it wouldn't be a very good feeling.

Phil C
10-31-2003, 09:35 AM
I usually watch both bands because the kids from both sides work hard also and they usually do a good job. I imagine it is difficult marching and carrying and playing an instrument because I can barely strum a few chords on my guitar when I am sitting down. :) About the only time I will not watch half-time is when there are some 3A downlow members meeting at the smoking area (even though I don't smoke) because I want to take the opportunity to visit with them. I will probably watch half-time tonight because I think Ingleside has a national championship cheerleader performing unless she has graduated. I don't remember her name but last year she was fantastic.

Knightmoon
10-31-2003, 09:43 AM
I have seen two really good bands this year. The Monahans band is very impressive. I was amazed at the number of kids they have in their band. Another band that is impressive is Abilene Wylie. Merkel would be happy to have a band half their size. Bands add to the school tradition. Yes, I usually watch the halftime performances.

sphinx1906
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Halftime is for hot links, turkey legs, and pee breaks. They could have dancing bears and I wouldn't know.

whtfbplaya
10-31-2003, 01:14 PM
If you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all. I guess this means I get to keep my comments to myself. lol

Old No. 7
10-31-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm ussually at the consession stand but I sure like to listen to a good band. I remember when I played football. You might not hear the cheers from the crowd but you could always hear the band. Nothing like a good Fight song to get the blood pumping.

TexDoc
10-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Come watch a New Braunfels game and you'll see most of the stands staying to watch the half time performance. Heck, about 1/3 of the stands are there to watch the band anyway.

3afan
10-31-2003, 05:16 PM
BulldogGrl64:
I feel bad for the bands when I see the stands empty out at halftime. A lot of people come to see the football game, so when halftime comes, that's their chance to go to the bathroom and get food/drinks. I enjoy watching the halftime because it gives you the opportunity to see what other schools are doing and how they look. I was never in band, so I really don't know what it's like to look up at emptying stands at halftime, but I would just imagine that it wouldn't be a very good feeling.there's a reason the stands tend to empty out at halftime ....
:rolleyes:
but i usually do watch the bands cuz i dont like to stand in line under the stands

<small>[ October 31, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Don't forget... Bands are also important to have their in the stands playing while the game is on... It just doesn't seem like a High School game without that band cranking...

3afan2K3
10-31-2003, 07:18 PM
3afan:

BulldogGrl64:
I feel bad for the bands when I see the stands empty out at halftime. A lot of people come to see the football game, so when halftime comes, that's their chance to go to the bathroom and get food/drinks. I enjoy watching the halftime because it gives you the opportunity to see what other schools are doing and how they look. I was never in band, so I really don't know what it's like to look up at emptying stands at halftime, but I would just imagine that it wouldn't be a very good feeling.there's a reason the stands tend to empty out at halftime ....
:rolleyes:
but i usually do watch the bands cuz i dont like to stand in line under the standsI know you send me instead

BHKrystal06
11-01-2003, 10:14 AM
therealbulldogs:

BHKrystal06:
DCI competitions are AMAZING! I love going to watch them.. It's a wonder what all they can do! eek! :) Have you ever seen them practice before? The Spirit of Atlanta practiced at our high school practice field and I think that they were more intense than our football practices were.I actually haven't seen them practice before, but I bet even then, they're still great! But I have heard about the practices. Long and hard.