PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Regional GOTW: Jasper (8-3) vs. West Orange-Stark (10-1)

SHSBulldog00
11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Not sure if a thread was already opened.

Rocket Man
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd really like to see this game; however, it's too far from Rocket Land and I got roped into a Black Friday trip to Dallas.

OldBison75
11-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Jasper is not on the level of WOS. WOS by 18.

GUNHO
11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
WO-S/Jasper go back a long way.Great rival game.Because it is a rival game most are hard fought to the end.There has been blow outs for each but very few.Although WO-S is favored they know not to overlook any Jasper team.

j_dog
11-26-2013, 11:17 AM
WO-S/Jasper go back a long way.Great rival game.Because it is a rival game most are hard fought to the end.There has been blow outs for each but very few.Although WO-S is favored they know not to overlook any Jasper team.
Good post!

Dawgs
11-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Good luck to the other Dawgs from 20-3a. WOS is going to be a challenge, but if Earl Campbell junior gets going, he is going to be hard to stop. Should be a heck of a game. I'll be looking for updates. Good Luck Jasper!

j_dog
11-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Good luck to the other Dawgs from 20-3a. WOS is going to be a challenge, but if Earl Campbell junior gets going, he is going to be hard to stop. Should be a heck of a game. I'll be looking for updates. Good Luck Jasper!
Thanks! Good luck to you also. Here's hoping for a re-match!

GUNHO
11-26-2013, 03:12 PM
thanks! Good luck to you also. Here's hoping for a re-match!

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!lol

j_dog
11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!lol
Seriously, don't you think Carthage might beat Silsbee? :vrycnfsd:

GUNHO
11-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Seriously, don't you think Carthage might beat Silsbee? :vrycnfsd:

Yes I do but I don't want yall playing them.:taunt:

j_dog
11-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes I do but I don't want yall playing them.:taunt:
Oh, now i see. conflict of interest. :)

Sville
11-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Tell me about WOS this year. What type of offense and defense do they run and who are their top players. Do they have any college prospects?

griff
11-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Tell me about WOS this year. What type of offense and defense do they run and who are their top players. Do they have any college prospects?

On offense, we run the spread. Probably 50/50 run/pass, though we've become more of a passing team late in the season. Our sophomore QB (Dylan Sterling Cole) has grown up quick with his passing ability. Eleven TDs, +/-800 yards passing, and only 1 INT in the post season. He can throw the deep ball with accuracy. His dad played for A&M and for the Denver Broncos (Chris Cole). At least five WRs are used. All have good hands and speed. Decent size on the O-line.

Defense is the 5-0 stack. We had only two returning starters from last year's squad. The defense last year was one of the three best in school history. We expected a drop off from last season, but they are playing very well. Our strong safety (Thompson) is an Alabama commit and the rover (Shaw), who transferred from Center, is a UT commit. Several others are getting college looks, but that's all I know of for now. Our outside LB (Teel) has played like the Tasmanian Devil all year. As good as last year's defense was, I think this one is playing at least as well as they did at this time of the year. I think our ability to defend the pass is actually better than last year (we could've used it against Navasota last season...lol).

j_dog
11-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Picks to date:

Jasper 22.73%
West Orange-Stark 77.27%
----------------------------------
This is amazingly close to the historical record between these two teams! WOS always the favorite, but Jasper occasionally breaks through for a W.

SHSBulldog00
11-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I really want to see Cole in person. From the games I have listened to he sounds really good.

Roughneck93
11-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I really want to see Cole in person. From the games I have listened to he sounds really good.

He's impressive.

j_dog
11-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I plan to see him tomorrow night. :)

j_dog
11-29-2013, 12:45 PM
This is an exciting day. Jasper vs. WOS. Can Jasper stop the WOS passing attack? Can WOS stop Jasper's running attack? I expect a close game and think that the winner will be the team that has the fewest turnovers. With both teams averaging close to 500 yards per game in the playoffs, something has to give. WOS has a great defense; Jasper has a good defense.

Hope to see you at the game! May there be no injuries for either side.

WOS87
11-29-2013, 11:12 PM
It lived up to the hype for sure! Haven't been that on the edge of my seat since the 2004 Jasper game

D'Highlander
11-29-2013, 11:14 PM
It lived up to the hype for sure! Haven't been that on the edge of my seat since the 2004 Jasper game

Great game WOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jdawg2012
11-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Game was the best I've seen in a long time. At any level. I will say this. Both times Jasper went up towards the end I thought we had it. Because all game Jasper's defense had been holding WOS pretty good. The WOS QB just proved to be too slippery and kept plays alive long enough to get the ball downfield on those two final drives. Really wished Jasper had pulled it out but it just wasn't meant to be. Great game and great season Dawgs.

Dawgs
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Game was the best I've seen in a long time. At any level. I will say this. Both times Jasper went up towards the end I thought we had it. Because all game Jasper's defense had been holding WOS pretty good. The WOS QB just proved to be too slippery and kept plays alive long enough to get the ball downfield on those two final drives. Really wished Jasper had pulled it out but it just wasn't meant to be. Great game and great season Dawgs.

Congrats WOS on pulling out the late victory. Thats what its all about this time of the year. Great season Jasper, proved alot of people wrong. I thought you guys had this one won. Looks like the program is moving in the right direction. Hopefully you will be rooting for District 20. I think District 20 showed to be alot better than some gave credit for.

griff
11-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Congrats WOS on pulling out the late victory. Thats what its all about this time of the year. Great season Jasper, proved alot of people wrong. I thought you guys had this one won. Looks like the program is moving in the right direction. Hopefully you will be rooting for District 20. I think District 20 showed to be alot better than some gave credit for.

This is no doubt the best team Jasper has fielded in 10 years. Also, they are MUCH improved since the loss to Orangefield. I can't help but wonder if some of our players were a little over confident knowing your team lost to OF, a team that we beat pretty handily. Jasper played like a team with a chip on it's shoulder, probably from knowing that most people were picking them to lose. This game reminded me of our first playoff game with you back in '86.

I hope Jasper can keep Coach Barbay for many years. Ya'll have gone through too many since Walkoviak.

j_dog
11-30-2013, 10:17 AM
This is no doubt the best team Jasper has fielded in 10 years. Also, they are MUCH improved since the loss to Orangefield. I can't help but wonder if some of our players were a little over confident knowing your team lost to OF, a team that we beat pretty handily. Jasper played like a team with a chip on it's shoulder, probably from knowing that most people were picking them to lose. This game reminded me of our first playoff game with you back in '86.

I hope Jasper can keep Coach Barbay for many years. Ya'll have gone through too many since Walkoviak.
Ditto on keeping Barbay. Early in the year after Jasper lost close games to Kirbyville and Orangefield I thought here we go again. The pattern has seemed that a new coach would come in; do pretty good in the first year, and then implode in the second year. Whatever went wrong in those early games, Barbay clearly fixed. Jasper has the talent to be a consistent winner if they quit changing coaches. Barbay has close family over at Newton so I do not think he is using Jasper as a stepping stone. Now if Jasper people will just let him do his job ...............!

j_dog
11-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Ditto on that about District 20. Good luck to the other Dawgs!

WOS1
11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Ditto on that about District 20. Good luck to the other Dawgs!

Come on now J dog... you might be district mates... but Jasper and WOS are arch rivals... You know you dont feel right pulling for Carthage over WOS... We have to much histroy together!:tisk:

WOS1
11-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Griff, I know you were thinking we should have been passing downfield most of the game. But you must remember, Cole equaled his season total in INT's in the first half. Although Cuney was getting his yards, the defense was keeping them out of the redzone. I think it was a situation where they wanted to play it safe until it was needed. When it was needed, it was there, Cole definitely stepped up and answered the call. He is a great player to be so young.

j_dog
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Come on now J dog... you might be district mates... but Jasper and WOS are arch rivals... You know you dont feel right pulling for Carthage over WOS... We have to much histroy together!:tisk:
And I have enjoyed the history; but do not like the end results. :flaming: Good luck to you guys too! Didn't say either way, just said Good Luck. Heck, I would even tell Kirbyville "Good luck". Jasper played tough games against both teams. In truth, not pulling against either team; just pulling for both. Besides, I think the game will be too close to call. You guys work it out on your own. :vrycnfsd: :crazy:

p.s. Wish I had seen you at the game!

griff
11-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Griff, I know you were thinking we should have been passing downfield most of the game. But you must remember, Cole equaled his season total in INT's in the first half. Although Cuney was getting his yards, the defense was keeping them out of the redzone. I think it was a situation where they wanted to play it safe until it was needed. When it was needed, it was there, Cole definitely stepped up and answered the call. He is a great player to be so young.

Gotcha. I didn't want to see us throw every down, just take a couple of deep shots earlier, but your point is right. We're gonna need more of that against Carthage. Jasper set up their defense to stop the pass. I was glad to see us start the 2nd half marching down the field with all rushing plays.