PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 Regional GOTW: Port Isabel (12-0) vs. LaVernia (11-1)

Snotbubbles
11-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Now this is a very interesting, R4 third round matchup.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Should be a dandy!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Heard from a reliable source: Friday 7:30 @ Calallen Wildcat Stadium.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Heard from a reliable source: Friday 7:30 @ Calallen Wildcat Stadium.

That is correct.

Pudlugger
11-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Hard to pick a winner here. I'll go with La Vernia after the way they manhandled a very good Wharton team. LV by 7.

BearBacker
11-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I'll be backing my Bears like always. I expect a good game. The Bears are playing really well right now.

I don't know much about the Tarpons, but their deep tradition and undefeated season will make for a great game.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I know the Tarp's got 34+ seniors on the club. Of course, we are a small 3A school (not sure we had 30 total players on our team this year), but--is 30+ seniors on a 3A DII club common or is it a lot? Should be a hell of a game for sure.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I know the Tarp's got 34+ seniors on the club. Of course, we are a small 3A school (not sure we had 30 total players on our team this year), but--is 30+ seniors on a 3A DII club common or is it a lot? Should be a hell of a game for sure.

34+ seniors is a lot of seniors. I like the Tarpons. The Seawall Defense will stand tall.

nfcfan
11-23-2013, 09:19 PM
PI by 9, Should b a heck of a game, similar to PI/Navarro OT game of last year.

Snotbubbles
11-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Ummmmmm, no. Only thing that might be similar is PI.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 09:43 PM
nfcfan, looks like you need help to get to 100 post before Monday to vote for PI/LV as the Region IV GOTW.

iFootball
11-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Will be a low scoring game.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 10:19 PM
This should be very exciting. Both defenses are playing well. I give PI the advantage on offense.

nfcfan
11-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Ummmmmm, no. Only thing that might be similar is PI.

I remember Navarro as a good rushing team with a good defense.

How much different is 2013 LV from 2012 Navarro? :)

Snotbubbles
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
I remember Navarro as a good rushing team with a good defense.

How much different is 2013 LV from 2012 Navarro? :)

Let's see. I have seen them a half dozen or so times. First, LV isn't a slot-t team. They are primarily a run team. Granted. But, they can also complete passes. Normally never deep bombs. High percentage type passes. I think the biggest difference I've noticed, is in the QB play of their lefty signal caller, #7. He has become a real threat, and he will run over you if need be. He runs this offense to perfection.

LaVernia don't beat themselves. Run a game plan to perfection. They don't panic. They are a chip off their coaches block. Bo has them believing and the kid's have bought in 200%. If you ever seen Bo play college ball, they have that attitude instilled in them. No one play's the front 7 better than them. No one. Relentless and whatever ever it takes, get the ball carrier/passer. Smashmouth right out the gate and set's the tone. LV ain't big, fast and full of stud's. But, they have heart, determination and guts. They will give you all you want in a game.

I just can't see this team losing. Yes, it will be close, but--they have that finish to get it done.

LaVernia 30
Port Isabel 21

footballgal
11-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Let's see. I have seen them a half dozen or so times. First, LV isn't a slot-t team. They are primarily a run team. Granted. But, they can also complete passes. Normally never deep bombs. High percentage type passes. I think the biggest difference I've noticed, is in the QB play of their lefty signal caller, #7. He has become a real threat, and he will run over you if need be. He runs this offense to perfection.

LaVernia don't beat themselves. Run a game plan to perfection. They don't panic. They are a chip off their coaches block. Bo has them believing and the kid's have bought in 200%. If you ever seen Bo play college ball, they have that attitude instilled in them. No one play's the front 7 better than them. No one. Relentless and whatever ever it takes, get the ball carrier/passer. Smashmouth right out the gate and set's the tone. LV ain't big, fast and full of stud's. But, they have heart, determination and guts. They will give you all you want in a game.

I just can't see this team losing. Yes, it will be close, but--they have that finish to get it done.

LaVernia 30
Port Isabel 21

Wow! sounds like you are describing the Tarpons, minus the part where it says it doesnt have big, fast and full of studs players.

nfcfan
11-24-2013, 01:20 AM

LaVernia 30
Port Isabel 21

I meant a close back and forth game, maybe some last minute heroics, but thanks for the summary :)

Blue42
11-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Always hard to judge the valley teams as they play in their area even the 3a's play 5a's but LV looks strong so I’ll say DA BEARS by 7.

rico
11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Sounds like both of these teams are evenly matched. Homer call says PI but I know it will
be a tough game. I'm sure both teams are banged up and sore, favor goes to the team
that is healthier and limits their mistakes. Going to be fun to watch. GOOO TARPONS!

SHSBulldog00
11-24-2013, 09:20 AM
This week will test your OL strength. LV is strong up front on D and PI spent the whole day in the OG backfield.

McHi
11-24-2013, 01:25 PM
I Cant say I know anything about LV, but I did see a very physical Port Isabel team play. I feel Orange Grove was taking a pounding by the PI defense. The OG receivers eyes were wide open after a few big hits. I spoke with one of the security guards at the game, and he said that PI really hurt some of OG receivers. One suffered a Knee injury and the other a shoulder injury. It seems both PI and LV are similar. Should be a good game, but I believe when push comes to shove PI will come out ahead. Sticking with the Valley teams win or loose. Go Tarpons!

McHi
11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
It seem that everyone question Port Isabel Defense, read this comment out of the Corpus Christi Caller: "Jerry Bomar Orange Grove Coach had warned his team all week that Port Isabel was bringing the best defense the Bulldogs had seen all year. After 48 minutes of physical football, his players can testify that their coach speaks the truth." :vrycnfsd:

iFootball
11-24-2013, 05:25 PM
The best defense south of Corpus. LaVernia plays in a different league.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-24-2013, 06:34 PM

PI defense is one of the best, felt OG could challenge it with the passing game if they could use the run to offset the pass rush. PI coaching staff also did a good job of playing off from OG top receiver even mix in help over the top. OG coach on Thursday caller hs notebook article:“Their defense is the best we (will have) played because it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a 3A team, defensively, that has totally no weaknesses,” Bomar said. Some pretty good compliment even before the game.

Snotbubbles
11-24-2013, 06:39 PM
It seem that everyone question Port Isabel Defense, read this comment out of the Corpus Christi Caller: "Jerry Bomar Orange Grove Coach had warned his team all week that Port Isabel was bringing the best defense the Bulldogs had seen all year. After 48 minutes of physical football, his players can testify that their coach speaks the truth." :vrycnfsd:

I think all OG coach has seen is a "D" from down that way. Plus, he just got thumped, what else could he have said in that Caller article.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I think all OG coach has seen is a "D" from down that way. Plus, he just got thumped, what else could he have said in that Caller article.

He's won a state championship with Groesbeck and also coached at Atlanta and 5a Killeen. He's seen good amount of defenses in his time.

footballgal
11-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Edit

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

LV_Bearfan
11-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Actually, LV hears a lot of the same talk. We're south of I-35 and not in East Texas, but that hasn't mattered much. We faced the Jamaican sprint team last week, and they couldn't do jack. I don't discount PI because of location or perceived level of competition.

McHi
11-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Actually, LV hears a lot of the same talk. We're south of I-35 and not in East Texas, but that hasn't mattered much. We faced the Jamaican sprint team last week, and they couldn't do jack. I don't discount PI because of location or perceived level of competition.

Based on what I am seeing you post, La Vernia is got the best team in class 3A DII and no defense can match La Vernia. Wow big statements, base on you post I guess Port Isabel should go now to church and pray for help since you just smashed the Jamaican sprint team. Port Isabel must be shaking in their boots. Since I do not know anything about La Vernia and mostly follow the McAllen Bulldogs. Just how may point will La Vernia beat Port Isabel by, based on your team being so fast and big perhaps + 3 to 5 TD?

footballgal
11-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Thank you LV Bearfan.
Question, do you or other Bearfans, recall what year we played each other, in a non-district match up? It was in Rockport-Fulton and Bears won that game.

footballgal
11-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Based on what I am seeing you post, La Vernia ...

What??? I think you miss read. Please don't start what you did last year. Let the Port Isabel fans speak for themselves.

McHi
11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Wow, sorry for any support, your are on your own!

Papá Oso
11-24-2013, 09:30 PM

lol, you mean how LV beat a 7 win 4A team and 4 other teams ( WT twice on their field) that were ranked in the region 4 top 10 on here at some point but were somehow never ranked in the top 10 on here? Pretty sure Coach Bo loves that btw, having watched some film of PI I feel their D is the real deal especially the front 4. Definitely going to be a battle in the trenches with both lines matching size on the left side and speed on the right side coincidentally enough. The back end looks undersized but fast and the big guys up front do a good job of protecting them so they can come up and make plays. More break down later in the week, have to get some gear packed for the coast this week.

PO

regaleagle
11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm hangin' my hat on that valley team that nobody wants to give credit to. I realize the Bears have a really good team this year, but I'm gonna go with my bracket pickem and stay with em. I had both of these teams winning last round, and I have the Tarpons taking this round. It should be an interesting matchup.

LV_Bearfan
11-24-2013, 09:33 PM
What??? I think you miss read. Please don't start what you did last year. Let the Port Isabel fans speak for themselves.

Yep. You misread. I'm just sayin' we're in the same boat with PI when it comes to being discounted sometimes. Win and others eventually take notice. Looks like both teams are doing that.

44INAROW
11-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Based on what I am seeing you post, La Vernia is got the best team in class 3A DII and no defense can match La Vernia. Wow big statements, base on you post I guess Port Isabel should go now to church and pray for help since you just smashed the Jamaican sprint team. Port Isabel must be shaking in their boots. Since I do not know anything about La Vernia and mostly follow the McAllen Bulldogs. Just how may point will La Vernia beat Port Isabel by, based on your team being so fast and big perhaps + 3 to 5 TD?

Wow. Who pi$$ed in your post toasties? I've seen nothing but good natured ribbing and mostly respectfully asked questions and answers from LV and PI posters alike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LV_Bearfan
11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm hangin' my hat on that valley team that nobody wants to give credit to. I realize the Bears have a really good team this year, but I'm gonna go with my bracket pickem and stay with em. I had both of these teams winning last round, and I have the Tarpons taking this round. It should be an interesting matchup.

Eagle, LV hasn't been in a regional top ten all year. PI has been a state top ten pick since the beginning. Not sure they've been given no credit. LV has quietly improved from week to week. Now's when the Bears are getting some props. The Bears are the underdogs here and glad to be.

LV_Bearfan
11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Thank you LV Bearfan.
Question, do you or other Bearfans, recall what year we played each other, in a non-district match up? It was in Rockport-Fulton and Bears won that game.

Yes. I remember that game. It was 2003 and the first game of that season. According to Max Preps LV won 29-17. That year, PI went all the way to the semi-finals where they lost to Marlin. LV lost in Bi-District to our former nemesis, Wimberley.

LV_Bearfan
11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Have all of you folks voted on the RIV game of the week? Looks like a tie between this game and Cuero/Sinton. If you haven't voted already, please find that thread and vote. Would be nice to be on the top of the page for the first time this year.

SHSBulldog00
11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
have all of you folks voted on the riv game of the week? Looks like a tie between this game and cuero/sinton. If you haven't voted already, please find that thread and vote. Would be nice to be on the top of the page for the first time this year.

i'm pulling for you guys!!!

rico
11-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Have all of you folks voted on the RIV game of the week? Looks like a tie between this game and Cuero/Sinton. If you haven't voted already, please find that thread and vote. Would be nice to be on the top of the page for the first time this year.
I voted already and for this game of course. Mr. McHi, it's all good. Mr. LV Bearfan was
just saying that LV was in the same boat as PI, how we don't get any respect because of where we're located. I think Mr. Snotbubbles was the one that might of been bragging a bit but that's OK. Nothing wrong with that. PI could use all the support it can get at this point,
we just don't want to get anyone riled up. The LV fans seem to be a classy bunch. I'm
looking forward to a great game and hope that which ever team advances, they move on
injury free and win the next game in order to make it to the semi's. GOOOO TARPONS!

LV_Bearfan
11-25-2013, 07:18 AM
I voted already and for this game of course. Mr. McHi, it's all good. Mr. LV Bearfan was
just saying that LV was in the same boat as PI, how we don't get any respect because of where we're located. I think Mr. Snotbubbles was the one that might of been bragging a bit but that's OK. Nothing wrong with that. PI could use all the support it can get at this point,
we just don't want to get anyone riled up. The LV fans seem to be a classy bunch. I'm
looking forward to a great game and hope that which ever team advances, they move on
injury free and win the next game in order to make it to the semi's. GOOOO TARPONS!

Rico, just so you know, snotbubbles is not a bear fan, but he seems to like what he's seen so far. He's not a homer like the rest of us although it may seem that way.

rico
11-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Rico, just so you know, snotbubbles is not a bear fan, but he seems to like what he's seen so far. He's not a homer like the rest of us although it may seem that way.
It's all starting to make sense now. Thanks for the explanation. Haven't had time to
watch any video but I did listen to part of your game with Wharton. Sounds like you
guys were playing some power football. I was rooting for you guys but I hope you
understand in this game I'm rooting for THE TARPONS! lol! Gonna be a good game.

Snotbubbles
11-25-2013, 09:46 AM

That is correct. Just a fan. I live between LV/Floresville. Follow both programs, along with another 3A school, who stinks. No dog in fight here. First met LV coach Bo Robinson from his college playing day's at Texas around 1990, then followed his career as a coach at Bangs, before he landed the LV gig. He is one of the best coaches in the state. I tell it as I see it. Some times I'm right, some times I'm not. Not sure I ever seen a coach get the most out of kid's who are not the fastest, biggest, strongest than Bo. Kid's play the way he did. No fear and full steam till the end.

I've given PI respect. They are quality and when you have that many seniors on your club, you'll be prepared. As I said, this will be a great game. Not sure I'd consider what I stated as bragging. Just a fact.

Snotbubbles
11-25-2013, 10:02 AM
He's won a state championship with Groesbeck and also coached at Atlanta and 5a Killeen. He's seen good amount of defenses in his time.

I agree, but--I believe he stated best defense "this year" in his article. Not in his life time.

Snotbubbles
11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
There is a 8th grade Robinson in the wings too. Who will one day be a Bear QB, and will be around 6'4" and 230 pounds, if he continues to grow like pops. Watch this kid in warm ups Friday. He already throws the ball about 60 yards in the air, on a dime. Great kid too. LV future is very bright. Sub varsity programs were very successful this past season.

With all them seniors, curious what PI future looks like? Hard to gauge I know based on the teams you play against in the regular season. But, PI is one of the few (Calallen, Sinton) know's what it takes to be successful out of their area. Ya'll have that ability coming up to replace this mega size senior class?

Gone Fishing
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
That is correct. Just a fan. I live between LV/Floresville. Follow both programs, along with another 3A school, who stinks. No dog in fight here. First met LV coach Bo Robinson from his college playing day's at Texas around 1990, then followed his career as a coach at Bangs, before he landed the LV gig. He is one of the best coaches in the state. I tell it as I see it. Some times I'm right, some times I'm not. Not sure I ever seen a coach get the most out of kid's who are not the fastest, biggest, strongest than Bo. Kid's play the way he did. No fear and full steam till the end.

I've given PI respect. They are quality and when you have that many seniors on your club, you'll be prepared. As I said, this will be a great game. Not sure I'd consider what I stated as bragging. Just a fact.

Hey SB, who's that other 3A team that stinks??? LOL. I agree about LV coach. I would like to make this game, I think it might be somewhat "old school" football and a great game to watch if you don't have a dog in the fight and just love HS football.

nfcfan
11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

http://www.956sports.com/forum/images/smilies/iagree.gif

Since 2002, PI has reached the 3rd round 4 previous times and went 2-2, a 10pt loss to Halletsville, a 3pt loss to eventual State Champ Bandera, a win over 8pt win over Liberty Hill & a 7pt win over Geronimo Navarro. Basically IF PI manages to send a team to the 3rd round they should expect a good team and a good game.

So comments like

Always hard to judge the valley teams as they play in their area

Should be thrown out the window IMHO.

PI's team & defense isn't just one of the best in the rgv, or south of CC, but it's one of the best in region IV. http://www.956sports.com/forum/images/smilies/rock.gif

YTBulldogs
11-25-2013, 05:18 PM
There is a 8th grade Robinson in the wings too. Who will one day be a Bear QB, and will be around 6'4" and 230 pounds, if he continues to grow like pops. Watch this kid in warm ups. He already throws the ball about 60 yards in the air, on a dime. Great kid too. LV future is very bright. Sub varsity programs were very successful this past season.

Big S. Great kid. :2thumbsup

footballgal
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
I agree, but--I believe he stated best defense "this year" in his article. Not in his life time.

...“Their defense is the best we (will have) played because it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a 3A team, defensively, that has totally no weaknesses,” Bomar said. Some pretty good compliment even before the game.

Snotbubbles
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM

This is the quote I was commenting about Gal. It's tit for tat. I'm sure PI "D" is pretty good from that area.

Manso/V8
11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Orange Grove saw a pretty good defense in the 3rd round last year too.

rico
11-25-2013, 11:18 PM
I believe you're wrong Mr. Snottbubbles, here is the quote:

“That’s the best defense I’ve ever had a team play against, and probably one of the best defensive teams I’ve ever seen in 3A,” Bomar said. “They’re a great defense, because they have no weaknesses.”

regaleagle
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Eagle, LV hasn't been in a regional top ten all year. PI has been a state top ten pick since the beginning. Not sure they've been given no credit. LV has quietly improved from week to week. Now's when the Bears are getting some props. The Bears are the underdogs here and glad to be.#

Yeah, I know all that....but I guess I'm a round or two too early on my comment. No offense to LV intended, the Bears are certainly worthy of much respect as well. My comment was made for PI because I believe their team is even better than #10 in 3A in the state. "Well have you seen PI play yet, Regal? What makes you think that?" I've been around a few years, and that's just my personal opinion from reading up on everybody, Ok?

Bull Butter
11-25-2013, 11:57 PM
It's gonna be a great game! Two similar, old school teams getting after it

Snotbubbles
11-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I believe you're wrong Mr. Snottbubbles, here is the quote:

“That’s the best defense I’ve ever had a team play against, and probably one of the best defensive teams I’ve ever seen in 3A,” Bomar said. “They’re a great defense, because they have no weaknesses.”

Go read post #22 on this thread. That's the quote I based my comment on. Did this poster state word for word what the coach stated in a article? Did the coach make a couple different quotes to different news agency's? I don't know. But, post #22 is what I replied to. Like I've said, I'm sure PI has a solid D down there. So, spelt milk. Ya'll can D up.

rico
11-26-2013, 04:08 AM
OK fair enough. Let's move on. How's the weather up there in your neck of the woods?
It's downright cold down here in "Tropical South Texas", we're not used to 45 degree
weather in the Rio Grande Valley. I heard game time weather should be considerably
better. Looking forward to an exciting game from these two lookalikes. Both teams
even use the same colors! Well anyway, time to go to work, GOOO TARPONS!

LV_Bearfan
11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
#

Yeah, I know all that....but I guess I'm a round or two too early on my comment. No offense to LV intended, the Bears are certainly worthy of much respect as well. My comment was made for PI because I believe their team is even better than #10 in 3A in the state. "Well have you seen PI play yet, Regal? What makes you think that?" I've been around a few years, and that's just my personal opinion from reading up on everybody, Ok?

Oh. Okay.

BearBacker
11-26-2013, 08:11 AM
OK fair enough. Let's move on. How's the weather up there in your neck of the woods?
It's downright cold down here in "Tropical South Texas", we're not used to 45 degree
weather in the Rio Grande Valley. I heard game time weather should be considerably
better. Looking forward to an exciting game from these two lookalikes. Both teams
even use the same colors! Well anyway, time to go to work, GOOO TARPONS!

It's been in the low 40's since the cold front blew in Friday. Cold, wet, no sunshine.

I looked up Corpus extended forecast and saw a high in the upper 60's and low in the 50's for Friday. Much better weather than last week's football games.

I don't want weather to be too much of an issue for game time. Let the players decide it on the field.

This is an area of the playoffs that La Vernia is not accustomed to being in. We've always had good teams, but not always lots of success in the playoffs. This year's club could turn the page for La Vernia football and start a trend that could continue on for a while. This team has a large amount of underclassmen who are solid contributers to the team, and our sub varsity had a real good season too. But, that is next year. Right now, we need to cut down on penalties and turnovers and limit mistakes. There is no secret to what we need to do to win the game, and the same goes for the Tarpons.

Nothing fancy. Just playing solid football.

Go Bears Go !!!

LV_Bearfan
11-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Friday can't get here soon enough. I'm all kinds of worthless this week.

YTBulldogs
11-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I heard comments this past Friday in Cuero, by the Bears during warmups, "the beach is nice". This with a 30 MPH north wind blowing, wind chill made temps feel in 20's. LOL. I was thinking, these kid's are nuts. Most had short sleeves on, while the fan's looked like Eskimos, hot chocolate in hand and huddled behind the walls near restroom to block that brutal wind, until kickoff.

The fan's will love this lower 50's temp, slower winds, on game day. But, I'm a firm believer the players from both schools would thrive if it was snowing, temps in the teens, with a nice refreshing breeze blowing. It's the playoff's in Texas. Gotta love it.

Good luck teams. As a 3A Texas high school football fan, wanna thank ya'll for what you do, provide real entertainment with heart.

ValleyCat
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Been watching some vids of La Vernia and they have a solid ball club. PI is no slouch either. Both teams seem to not beat themselves this season. Tough match up to call.

I guess it's gonna come down to who "blinks" (makes mistakes) first.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Been watching some vids of La Vernia and they have a solid ball club. PI is no slouch either. Both teams seem to not beat themselves this season. Tough match up to call.

Welcome ValleyCat :)
Both teams come in with impressive victories from this past week.

LV_Bearfan
11-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Where do you find vids?

SHSBulldog00
11-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Where do you find vids?

Sometimes you can find them on youtube.

nfcfan
11-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Bear fans, noticed a Junior quarterback by the name of Colby Sims that played last year, is he and Colby Skelton the same person?

BearBacker
11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Bear fans, noticed a Junior quarterback by the name of Colby Sims that played last year, is he and Colby Skelton the same person?

No. Not the same boy.

The Sims boy didn't come out for football this year. Skelton was on varsity last year but he had limited playing time at QB.

Skelton has been preparing for this moment for some time now. He has gotten better as the year has progressed. We don't relay on him to be the star or hero of the game,, but he has learned to manage the offense and be a solid leader on the field.

nfcfan
11-26-2013, 07:13 PM
No. Not the same boy.

The Sims boy didn't come out for football this year. Skelton was on varsity last year but he had limited playing time at QB.

Skelton has been preparing for this moment for some time now. He has gotten better as the year has progressed. We don't relay on him to be the star or hero of the game,, but he has learned to manage the offense and be a solid leader on the field.

Okay, thx. Was seeing some junior highlights of Levi and i was wondering if it was Skelton throwing the ball.

ValleyCat
11-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Where do you find vids?

ch.29 website? Is that the local tv station?

ValleyCat
11-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Welcome ValleyCat :)
Both teams come in with impressive victories from this past week.

Thanks Sinton Fan. Check yer pm.

SHSBulldog00
11-26-2013, 09:57 PM
If you are going to be in the Corpus Area Friday may I suggest this as your Appetizer

San Antonio Madison (9-3) vs. Mission Sharyland (12-0) Friday 2:00pm Buccaneer Stadium, Corpus Christi

Then drive over to Calallen for LV/PI

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
If you are going to be in the Corpus Area Friday may I suggest this as your Appetizer

San Antonio Madison (9-3) vs. Mission Sharyland (12-0) Friday 2:00pm Buccaneer Stadium, Corpus Christi

Then drive over to Calallen for LV/PI

Oh, Madison/Sharyland is at 2pm? Interesting! I might actually do this.

BearBacker
11-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I think that there are 4 San Antonio schools playing in Corpus this weekend. Lots of good football this weekend down south.

footballgal
11-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Now this is a very interesting, R4 third round matchup.

A correction, PI's season record is actually 12-0

SHSBulldog00
11-26-2013, 11:09 PM
A correction, PI's season record is actually 12-0

I will correct it. Thanks footballgal.

footballgal
11-26-2013, 11:33 PM
I will correct it. Thanks footballgal.

Thanks 😊

ValleyCat
11-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I love this matchup. Two SMASHMOUTH teams with stout defenses. Texas Football don't get better than that.

Is La Vernia a young or experienced ball club??

BearBacker
11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
We are relatively young-not a senior loaded ball club by any means. We have had equally significant contributions from seniors, juniors, and sophomores.

I'm extremely happy with how our season has turned out so far, and equally excited about our immediate future as well.

Go Bears Go !!!!

LV_Bearfan
11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
I love this matchup. Two SMASHMOUTH teams with stout defenses. Texas Football don't get better than that.

Is La Vernia a young or experienced ball club??

Experienced with some very good young additions.
Sr's were major players as Soph's on the team that lost in the 3rd round to Columbia in 2011.
It seemed there was a bit of a drop-off last year because we had some injuries and didn't have as strong of a senior class.
The difference is that those experienced boys matured and the underclasses have some real studs that have stepped up and earned spots coming from an undefeated JV.
Don't have 34 seniors but do have a nice sized senior class with lots of experience against very tough competition.
Look at last year's schedule. Bears were handed their hat more often than not, but it made them tough as nails.
The future is promising. Watch the defensive line. Several underclassmen that are difference makers. Some as sophomores.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-27-2013, 04:52 PM
956sports highlights from PI/OG area round game in case some have never seen PI before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZnYe9eT1Qw

BearBacker
11-27-2013, 05:03 PM
SInton fan. I have seen this. They are tough. Big and quick.

I expect our kids to play a good game Friday night.

bps093
11-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Was at OG game. Thing that impressed me the most was DE #1. OG had no answer. One of the best I have seen at any classification . And I have seen a lot. I do think this will be the best opponent that either of these teams have faced to this point. Should be interesting

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Was at OG game. Thing that impressed me the most was DE #1. OG had no answer. One of the best I have seen at any classification . And I have seen a lot. I do think this will be the best opponent that either of these teams have faced to this point. Should be interesting

And the unfortunate thing is, he hasn't gotten an offer from any D1 schools. Just one offer from some D3 school in NY state.

bps093
11-27-2013, 08:35 PM
not surprised, at that position they believe you must be a certain height. If he wants to play somewhere he will get his chance. i would guess the farther that PI goes he will start to gain more attention. If he doesnt meet their standards for size, they want to see him head to head vs other possible college players. the deeper in the playoffs you go, the better your chances.

ValleyCat
11-27-2013, 10:44 PM
And the unfortunate thing is, he hasn't gotten an offer from any D1 schools. Just one offer from some D3 school in NY state.

Unfortunate, but not the end of the road for Guillot. If it's one thing that fella has is a strong,work ethic plus he's got the talent. He can spend a season or two in a small school and then transfer. His preparation will meet the opportunity. Patience man. Patience.

There's other kids on PI's team I feel should be getting an opportunity at D3/D2 and junior college teams. All that matters is that they get an education, regardless.

ValleyCat
11-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Experienced with some very good young additions.
Sr's were major players as Soph's on the team that lost in the 3rd round to Columbia in 2011.
It seemed there was a bit of a drop-off last year because we had some injuries and didn't have as strong of a senior class.
The difference is that those experienced boys matured and the underclasses have some real studs that have stepped up and earned spots coming from an undefeated JV.
Don't have 34 seniors but do have a nice sized senior class with lots of experience against very tough competition.
Look at last year's schedule. Bears were handed their hat more often than not, but it made them tough as nails.
The future is promising. Watch the defensive line. Several underclassmen that are difference makers. Some as sophomores.

Not sure if I read it correct that LV was in it against PLC until the 4th.

Yea I saw a couple clips. DL was what raised an eyebrow with me.

BearBacker
11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
We were down early second half and we came back and got within a touchdown before a couple Sandcrab touchdowns iced the game.

Our defensive line has had some personnel changes since then, and therefore we have gotten better in that area, but PLC moved the ball on us that night. They are a good team, as is evident that they are still playing football in the 3rd round.

K-MAC Chuck
11-28-2013, 09:11 AM
First and foremost - Happy Thanksgiving!!

We're thankful the La Vernia booster club brought K-MAC Sports on board to broadcast the game from the LV side. We just got the "call" yesterday..keep the great info about this game coming!
Here's the broadcast info:

3A REGIONAL: LA VERNIA BEARS vs Port Isabel Tarpons, 7:15pm pregame, 7:30 pm, Wildcat Stadium, Calallen
Crew: Chuck “Ice Man” Licata, Trey “Magic Man” Grubb
Link: http://kmacsports.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=401E21710D

Papá Oso
11-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Not sure if I read it correct that LV was in it against PLC until the 4th.

Yea I saw a couple clips. DL was what raised an eyebrow with me.

We scored with 6:30 mins left in the game which made the score 34-40, we kicked it away and PLC had they a 5 min drive and scored a TD in which they converted 2 or 3 4th and short run plays. With got the ball back down 47-30 with a min and half left and fumbled and they picked it up and ran it in for a TD for a final of 54-34 Game Over. PI will our biggest test since that game I'm sure giving their mix of speed and size. #1 is a absolute beast on the defensive side of the ball, good to here he sounds like a solid young man as well as a ball player, someone in Tx will snap him up IMO.

PO

footballgal
11-28-2013, 08:27 PM
PI vs LV
Audio and video

http://www.valleycentral.com/point-isabel-isd/la-vernia-bears-v-port-isabel-tarpons/2013-11-29/game/

ValleyCat
11-28-2013, 10:45 PM
First and foremost - Happy Thanksgiving!!

We're thankful the La Vernia booster club brought K-MAC Sports on board to broadcast the game from the LV side. We just got the "call" yesterday..keep the great info about this game coming!
Here's the broadcast info:

3A REGIONAL: LA VERNIA BEARS vs Port Isabel Tarpons, 7:15pm pregame, 7:30 pm, Wildcat Stadium, Calallen
Crew: Chuck “Ice Man” Licata, Trey “Magic Man” Grubb
Link: http://kmacsports.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=401E21710D

IS that live video stream?

K-MAC Chuck
11-28-2013, 11:04 PM
IS that live video stream?

No - it will be an Audio stream.. Fox Sports Southwest has received video rights from UIL and has banned video streams, live and replay, except for a few situations which they control.

footballgal
11-28-2013, 11:12 PM
To clarify valleycentral does live AUDIO only but then after game you can see a REPLAY of the game with video.

footballgal
11-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Edit

hollywood
11-29-2013, 12:13 AM

Good looking athlete. The thing that hurts his recruiting is the region his team plays. If he could play against tougher competition and still be impressive, his stock would rise. He needs to keep working hard and believing in his goals.

Manso/V8
11-29-2013, 04:08 AM

He has an offer from a D1AA school in New York. That could mean anything from a full ride, partial ride, or a preferred walk-on with no scholarship.

No one really gets an offer from D3 schools, D3 schools can not offer athletic scholarships, there is not a Letter of Intent to sign, etc.

A lot of recruiting for D2 schools and the smaller D1AA schools starts now that most are done with their seasons.
He could pick up some other offers from now until spring.
I am sure he can find a place to play if he wants to play.
The next level is tougher than many people realize, but he has the work ethic and heart to be successful.

He is listed at 6'1" and that makes it tough for him to be recruited at DE for most D1, D2 schools, and even NAIA schools, at least in this part of the country.

He would have a better shot at LB.
He seems fairly quick and has a good nose for the ball.

rico
11-29-2013, 07:35 AM
It's game day!
GOOOO TARPONS!

LV_Bearfan
11-29-2013, 08:10 AM
It's game day!
GOOOO TARPONS!

It's a beautiful day for football! Looking forward to the trip.

rico
11-29-2013, 08:47 AM
It's a beautiful day for football! Looking forward to the trip.
How long of a drive is it from LV to Calallen? Time wise. For PI it's about 3 hours.

ValleyCat
11-29-2013, 09:18 AM
How long of a drive is it from LV to Calallen? Time wise. For PI it's about 3 hours.

3 hours? No way it's that long. I can get to Kingsville in an hour and a half. Calallen isn't far from Kingsville man.

ValleyCat
11-29-2013, 09:20 AM
No - it will be an Audio stream.. Fox Sports Southwest has received video rights from UIL and has banned video streams, live and replay, except for a few situations which they control.

Bless the UIL's hearts, they mean well right??.....Well for their pockets. LMAO.

rico
11-29-2013, 10:56 AM
3 hours? No way it's that long. I can get to Kingsville in an hour and a half. Calallen isn't far from Kingsville man.
If you drive from South Padre Island to the Stadium it's close to 3 hrs. We have a car full of Senior Citizens, my wife insists I drive the
speed limit. But we always get there 2 hours before kickoff so we have plenty of time to settle in! GOOOO TARPONS!!!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm driving down from Houston's Heights area. It's about 3.5 from here to Calallen.

K-MAC Chuck
11-29-2013, 11:49 AM
We're driving down from Austin, I made this trip once before in 3.5 hours..

LV_Bearfan
11-29-2013, 12:20 PM
From LV, 2-2.5 hrs.

rico
11-29-2013, 01:27 PM
From LV, 2-2.5 hrs.
Have a safe trip and wish we could both advance.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Hittin' the road! Looking forward to seeing all my PI peeps there. Safe travels for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU

footballgal
11-29-2013, 02:00 PM
For me about 2 hours. See yall there! Go Tarpons Go!!

LV_Bearfan
11-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Have a safe trip and wish we could both advance.

Safe travels to you as well!

Papá Oso
11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Awesome turnout by the PI fans. LV side is still rolling in, little breezy but a great night for some playoff football. Good luck to both sides and may both teams get through the game injury free.

PO

footballgal
11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Bears looking tough and Tarpons killing themselves with penalties and uncharacteristic fumble converted to a TD by LV. Tarpons need to regroup and play some Tarpon Football.

Papá Oso
11-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Great game at half, defense has come to play for LV. Pinning us deep on that punt cost us 7. Going to be some sore young men tomorrow cause there's some hitting going on down on the field.

PO

Cam
11-29-2013, 11:05 PM
This game is a final
LV - 21
PI -14

Congrats Bears! Great season Tarpons!

footballgal
11-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Congratulations to LV Bears. Great season Tarpons, nothing to hang your heads, not the ending we wanted but you represent Port Isabel well all season. Love <3 you Big Blue!!

Manso/V8
11-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Congrats to LV.

Great season Tarpons. We were pulling for you in Bellville.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Congratulations to LV Bears. Great season Tarpons, nothing to hang your heads, not the ending we wanted but you represent Port Isabel well all season. Love <3 you Big Blue!!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk Great season PI, best defense I've seen this season, no doubt one of the better ones. Congrats La Vernia on a great win.

rico
11-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Congratulations La Vernia on a great win. You have a good team, best of luck against Sinton.
Should be a good game. I'd say more but right now I'm in mourning

BearBacker
11-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rico. A great game to the very end. Our coaches knew that PI would fight until the final buzzer sounded.

We are playing Sinton in Victoria on Friday night.

Go Bears!!

hsfootballfan
11-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks Rico. A great game to the very end. Our coaches knew that PI would fight until the final buzzer sounded.

We are playing Sinton in Victoria on Friday night.

Go Bears!!

Who will be the home team?

BearBacker
11-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I think that Sinton is going to be home.

ValleyCat
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I had a feeling La Vernia was going to provide the needed adversity PI hadn't faced all season, but I anticipated PI to respond better to adversity and that wasn't the case. Good win by DA Bears and best wishes moving on.

BearBacker
11-30-2013, 08:12 PM
we have a good team this year with some kids who don't play scared. If they did, they would have been shaking in their cleats when they came out on that field last night and saw the packed PI bleachers and the noise they created. After the blocked punt and the halfback pass, our kids didn't let it get them down and they continued to play at a high level and make the needed plays to win.

LV_Bearfan
11-30-2013, 09:52 PM
we have a good team this year with some kids who don't play scared. If they did, they would have been shaking in their cleats when they came out on that field last night and saw the packed PI bleachers and the noise they created. After the blocked punt and the halfback pass, our kids didn't let it get them down and they continued to play at a high level and make the needed plays to win.

Yes. I was impressed with the PI fans. They actually made a difference on the game. LV fans, not so much. It was almost as if the LV folks were in awe of the noise and passion coming from the PI side. PI showed us how it should be done. I hope we fans can step it up a bit. Our boys are flat out solid. Sure, some things could have been better offensively, but they beat a top 10 team.

Bull Butter
12-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Great, hard hitting game between 2 really good teams. Shame one had to lose. What Texas HS Football needs more of

Pudlugger
12-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Sinton has been playing real good football these past few weeks but La Vernia will be too much. LV wins this game by 14.