PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood/FSSW show

YTBulldogs
11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Watched a program last evening on Texas High School greats on FSSW, and it featured Brownwood. Very impressive history (I knew most of it already with Coach Wood being there) but--how that entire town comes as one and the kid's that played there wasn't the biggest, fastest--just gave you it their all. They do whatever it takes to win.

It isn't your normal town in regards to their football. Yes, it's expected out of their youth at birth I'm sure. Loved a saying I seen in a shot. "Win or lose, we give glory to GOD".

Love to go spend a day in Brownwood just to see the sports museum and visit that drug store and hear the old timers chat it up. Never been there, a game on a Friday night would be the ultimate I bet.

jason
11-21-2013, 08:55 AM
how that entire town comes as one

This is the brownwood side of a PLAYOFF game, vs stephenville nonetheless, just after the opening kickoff.
Brownwood is a lot like Celina now - the mystique just isn't there anymore....

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1051/962k.jpg

YTBulldogs
11-21-2013, 08:58 AM
This is the brownwood side of a PLAYOFF game, vs stephenville nonetheless, just after the opening kickoff.

Wow. Guess all things get old after awhile. Didn't sense that from the program. Still like to see the museum and monuments from GW's era.

Bosqueville
11-21-2013, 09:27 AM
The Jackets side looked the exact same way throughout 2010. Everyone wants to watch a winner.

hollywood
11-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Having played for Brownwood, I can say the tradition runs deep. I played when Coach Wood had only been retired for 2 years, so the aura of his presence was still in the air. Tradition still runs deep there. But, you have to think, what is different now than what it was 3-4 decades ago in terms of expectations and the winning ways? Since Coach Wood, there have been at least 6 different head coaches. Allen, Bechtel, Stapler, Freeman, Shipley and now Howard (if my memory serves me right). I think it's hard to keep the same phylosophies of a program what made Wood so successful in getting the most out of every player and having the players believe in the same phylosophies. To continue a programs success, you have to have consistancy. Not comparing programs because Brownwood's is in a league of it's own simply from the history. But, I think what makes Stephenville's program still very similar to what it was when Brile's was there is 1) the fact Gillespie played and coached under Briles 2) the fact that he's only the 3rd head coach since Briles left 3) Gillespie still runs the program very similar to how Briles ran the program. Getting the most out of every player and kids still believing and working hard in the program. Getting kids to go above and beyond to be the best they can be.

Brownwood has a great head coach now in Coach Howard who has much respect from his peers, players, and the enitre community. He's got some good classes of talent coming up. He should do very well there.

bwdlionfan
11-21-2013, 01:14 PM

First off that picture is in a stadium that seats slightly over 15,000. That half of the stadium alone holds more then 95% of 3A stadiums. That alone helps a small crowd look even smaller. Second, the team went 4-7 this year and gave up more points than any Bwd defense in school history.

Every town has fair weather fans and most felt this team shouldn't have been in the playoffs, and they wouldn't have last year. Does that mean the town shouldn't still support the kids? Not at all, but it happens and it happens everywhere

In 2009 you guys beat us at your place 35-0 in a game that felt like a monsoon. Your side had maybe 500 people there and our side was packed even though you were at home, you kicked our butt, and you injured 7 of our starters. Did that mean the "Jacket Mystique" was gone? Or maybe you just had a lot of fans who didn't want to sit in the rain?

In 2010 the official paid attendance for our playoff game against Monahans was over 18,000.

The mystique is still there, it just takes a decent season to see it. It's not really any different regardless of the town. If Sville were 4-7 , sure attendance would drop.

caleb_mccaig
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM

It was a good show!

In in regards to the picture, if the attendance is down, same thing happened in China Spring according to my parents. They used to live close to the High School and they told me that you can park wherever you want to now, compared to when I was in school and the high school and Jr. High lots were both full and you had to park on the side of the road. I guess it happens pretty quick.

hollywood
11-21-2013, 02:16 PM
First off that picture is in a stadium that seats slightly over 15,000. That half of the stadium alone holds more then 95% of 3A stadiums. That alone helps a small crowd look even smaller. Second, the team went 4-7 this year and gave up more points than any Bwd defense in school history.

Every town has fair weather fans and most felt this team shouldn't have been in the playoffs, and they wouldn't have last year. Does that mean the town shouldn't still support the kids? Not at all, but it happens and it happens everywhere

In 2009 you guys beat us at your place 35-0 in a game that felt like a monsoon. Your side had maybe 500 people there and our side was packed even though you were at home, you kicked our butt, and you injured 7 of our starters. Did that mean the "Jacket Mystique" was gone? Or maybe you just had a lot of fans who didn't want to sit in the rain?

In 2010 the official paid attendance for our playoff game against Monahans was over 18,000.

The mystique is still there, it just takes a decent season to see it. It's not really any different regardless of the town. If Sville were 4-7 , sure attendance would drop.

Good post bwdlionfan. At Stephenville's homecoming game against Alvarado this season, the stands were pretty full until the cold front hit in the 2nd qtr. Even though Stephenville lead 34-0 at the half, it cleared pretty fast! Except for the families who had sons and grandsons playing on the field and sons and daughters in the band and drill team, etc.

Slick50
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM
You will really be able to tell who the fair weather fans are tomorrow night. Especially in north Texas.

bobcat1
11-21-2013, 07:56 PM

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1051/962k.jpgAnd this from a never was Forney guy?

bobcat1
11-21-2013, 07:56 PM
The Jackets side looked the exact same way throughout 2010. Everyone wants to watch a winner.Exactly even T-Shirt fans like Jason