PDA

View Full Version : A&M president makes it clear with message to UT for playing football again

Scoop27
11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
From the Houston Chronicle
COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin, a chief catalyst behind the Aggies’ move to the Southeastern Conference, wants to make one thing clear: He’s still all for A&M playing Texas in football, “anytime, anywhere.”

“I said it before, and I value my integrity,” Loftin told me on Tuesday night. “I said it two years ago and I meant it then. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t play each other, if we want to. I think they (Texas) will at some point in time feel like it’s the right thing to do, as well, and we’ll get there.”

I had requested Loftin for an interview on his memories as a student of A&M playing at LSU in the late 1960s (that story is coming on Friday, with A&M playing at LSU a day later), and along the way the visit turned to Aggies-Longhorns.

“I’ve always said ‘anytime, anywhere,’ although others (in the A&M administration) are not saying it that way anymore,” Loftin reiterated. “I still think that, left to ourselves, we will find a way to get together. We’ve already played them in other NCAA sports – swimming and diving had a meet with them (this October).”

Loftin, bottom line, believes A&M-UT football in the regular season will eventually happen again (as it did almost annually from 1894-2011) as a ballyhooed nonconference showdown.

“Some of the feelings and passions (from the Aggies’ 2012 shift to the SEC) are now beginning to get a little bit moderated,” said Loftin, who’s stepping down as A&M president in January to return to the classroom. “I think over time there will be an engagement … that will allow us to appropriately play each other as nonconference rivals in a variety of sports.”

This all comes (back) to light because earlier this month A&M senior associate athletic director Jason Cook told me regarding the Longhorns, “We hope to play them again in a BCS or playoff game at some point,” quite the opposite of Loftin’s assertion from two years prior.

While Cook offered no further explanation at the time, the message was evident: A&M, under the direction of outspoken chancellor John Sharp, no longer intended to schedule the Longhorns in football in the regular season, even if UT was up for it.

The idea that the Aggies and Longhorns might someday meet again in the regular season had been sparked by UT announcing it was hiring Steve Patterson from Arizona State as its new athletic director, in replacing longtime AD DeLoss Dodds.

cougartino
11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Horns won't accept until Jolly Ol' St. Nick Saban gets there.

coach
11-20-2013, 04:08 PM
good. this rivalry needs to be played every year. its incredibly stupid that they dont play.

PhiI C
11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Horns won't accept until Jolly Ol' St. Nick Saban gets there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uiuW9TAuM

cougartino
11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uiuW9TAuM

:fnypost:

Aesculus gilmus
11-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I trust the silly-looking professor in the bowtie is speaking for himself.

Texas A&M is not really a Texas school anymore. It is in the "Southeastern United States" quadrant of the country. It definitely belongs in the SEC and I applaud its move to secede a few years ago.

Its unique culture and its peculiar traditions (the saying I've always heard about Aggieland is "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it") are much more akin to those of the Deep South and are pretty much totally alien to the rest of Texas, ESPECIALLY the area around Austin. (The home of the "liberals," as Jaxon Shipley's dad proclaimed them while doing color commentary during the Argyle-Wimberley state title game of 2011.)

I am really looking forward to the Aggies' rivalry game with LSU Saturday, although it would be better if it were played at night, as it always was in my youth.

These are two land-grant universities with much in common. LSU is a much more natural rival than the so-called "TU" they used to play. I suppose I should rename the Louisiana school "USL" to drive home the reverse alphabetic insult to those in Baton Rouge (or is it Rouge Baton).

1st and goal
11-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I think they should build a big arse stadium here in Giddings and have the game yearly here at a neutral site equidistant between the 2 cities.

NastySlot
11-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Texas A&M is not really a Texas school anymore. It is in the "Southeastern United States" quadrant of the country. It definitely belongs in the SEC and I applaud its move to secede a few years ago.

Its unique culture and its peculiar traditions (the saying I've always heard about Aggieland is "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it") are much more akin to those of the Deep South and are pretty much totally alien to the rest of Texas, ESPECIALLY the area around Austin. (The home of the "liberals," as Jaxon Shipley's dad proclaimed them while doing color commentary during the Argyle-Wimberley state title game of 2011.)

I am really looking forward to the Aggies' rivalry game with LSU Saturday, although it would be better if it were played at night, as it always was in my youth.

These are two land-grant universities with much in common. LSU is a much more natural rival than the so-called "TU" they used to play. I suppose I should rename the Louisiana school "USL" to drive home the reverse alphabetic insult to those in Baton Rouge (or is it Rouge Baton).

sliver going to sliver....gig em.

oh yeah I would venture to say that A&M is more Texas/Texan than than the school in Austin....you pretty much said it in your post. Austin is Austin and pretty much unlike the rest of the state and fact is tries to be different from the rest of the state.

TV messed up the night games schedule

Old Tiger
11-20-2013, 09:04 PM
He sounds like a chick whose boyfriend just broke up with her and can't get over it.

NastySlot
11-20-2013, 09:05 PM
He sounds like a chick whose boyfriend just broke up with her and can't get over it.

That's original..

how about those Rockdale Tigers last week did you see that coming?

Old Tiger
11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
That's original..

how about those Rockdale Tigers last week did you see that coming?

The last Rockdale game I watched was the BOTB in 2012 in which I was rooting for Cameron due to my cousin being a starter for them.

Scoop27
11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Just like the Texans should be playing the Cowboys every year in regular season play

NastySlot
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
The last Rockdale game I watched was the BOTB in 2012 in which I was rooting for Cameron due to my cousin being a starter for them.

Once interviewed for teaching/coaching job in Rockdale(a long time ago)....think the Principal was named Puente....does that sound right?

Old Tiger
11-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Once interviewed for teaching/coaching job in Rockdale(a long time ago)....think the Principal was named Puente....does that sound right?

sounds about right, he works out at the juvenile detention center now as their principal or equivelant

ogg
11-20-2013, 09:45 PM
From the Houston Chronicle
COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin, a chief catalyst behind the Aggies’ move to the Southeastern Conference, wants to make one thing clear: He’s still all for A&M playing Texas in football, “anytime, anywhere.”

“I said it before, and I value my integrity,” Loftin told me on Tuesday night. “I said it two years ago and I meant it then. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t play each other, if we want to. I think they (Texas) will at some point in time feel like it’s the right thing to do, as well, and we’ll get there.”

I had requested Loftin for an interview on his memories as a student of A&M playing at LSU in the late 1960s (that story is coming on Friday, with A&M playing at LSU a day later), and along the way the visit turned to Aggies-Longhorns.

“I’ve always said ‘anytime, anywhere,’ although others (in the A&M administration) are not saying it that way anymore,” Loftin reiterated. “I still think that, left to ourselves, we will find a way to get together. We’ve already played them in other NCAA sports – swimming and diving had a meet with them (this October).”

Loftin, bottom line, believes A&M-UT football in the regular season will eventually happen again (as it did almost annually from 1894-2011) as a ballyhooed nonconference showdown.

“Some of the feelings and passions (from the Aggies’ 2012 shift to the SEC) are now beginning to get a little bit moderated,” said Loftin, who’s stepping down as A&M president in January to return to the classroom. “I think over time there will be an engagement … that will allow us to appropriately play each other as nonconference rivals in a variety of sports.”

This all comes (back) to light because earlier this month A&M senior associate athletic director Jason Cook told me regarding the Longhorns, “We hope to play them again in a BCS or playoff game at some point,” quite the opposite of Loftin’s assertion from two years prior.

While Cook offered no further explanation at the time, the message was evident: A&M, under the direction of outspoken chancellor John Sharp, no longer intended to schedule the Longhorns in football in the regular season, even if UT was up for it.

The idea that the Aggies and Longhorns might someday meet again in the regular season had been sparked by UT announcing it was hiring Steve Patterson from Arizona State as its new athletic director, in replacing longtime AD DeLoss Dodds.

Oh hell no!

Ranger354
11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
The trouble about the UT / ATM game is it pits Brother Texan against Brother Texan in my opinion. It has almost built a hatered between the two schools over the years.
Down deep we are all TEXANS.... We bleed burnt orange, maroon, purple, green, blue, etc.......
We also have common dislikes... Sooners, Tigers, etc.....

caleb_mccaig
11-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Can you really call it a rivalry though? A&M hasn't beaten LSU in 18 years lol.

Granted A&M dominated in the 90's haha.

Rabid Cougar
11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
ATM needs to play tu and Baylor not only in Football but in baseball and basketball. Nothing bettter than a Baylor-ATM baseball game.

Rabid Cougar
11-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Can you really call it a rivalry though? A&M hasn't beaten LSU in 18 years lol.

Granted A&M dominated in the 90's haha.

Renewal will work. ATM has played LSU more than any other school outside of tu, Rice and Baylor.

caleb_mccaig
11-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Well I will say that the past two games, the College Station one last year and the Cotton Bowl a few years back were both good games. Looking forward to Saturday! Probably going to be a shoot-out unlike last year.