PDA

View Full Version : Valley Teams

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Is Kingsville King what you valley posters count as a local team or are they too far north?

I know Grulla, Zapata and PI are.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Is Kingsville King what you valley posters count as a local team or are they too far north?

I know Grulla, Zapata and PI are.

LMAO! The immediate Rio Grande Valley "area" includes the 4 counties in the deepest south of Texas. Cameron County, Willacy County, Hidalgo County, and Starr County. Kingsville is too far north, and Zapata is too far west. But Zapata is sort of a "wild card" because although it isn't located within the 4 county area, they're kind of the midway point between the "end of the valley" aka Roma and Laredo. So they're "kinda" RGV but almost Laredo area.

It's weird.

hollywood
11-20-2013, 12:33 AM
LOL... For folks in central, north, west and east Texas, anything south of San Antonio is the Valley!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:36 AM
LOL... For folks in central, north, west and east Texas, anything south of San Antonio is the Valley!

Y'all need to get out more, then. LOL

In the Valley, anything north of Willacy County they just call "Up North"

Matthew328
11-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Y'all need to get out more, then. LOL

In the Valley, anything north of Willacy County they just call "Up North"

There's a definite different vibe in the four county RGV area than in anything else South Texas..maybe its the # of palm trees per acre.....

Kingsville is def. more Coastal Bend (Corpus area)....Grulla's in Starr County so to me they are the western most portion of the Valley..even though to me anything west of Mission really looks like the rest of South Texas vs. the Valley

SHSBulldog00
11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
I want to go to Marco's in Mission to try a Marco burger. Has anyone tried it?

Ranger354
11-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Anything south of Robstown is the Valley.... Anything north of the San Antonio River is Yankee Country!!!!

Cam
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I want to go to Marco's in Mission to try a Marco burger. Has anyone tried it?

No....but I did see AC/DC in concert with opening act Molly Hatchet in Mission back on Sept. 1979!!..:D....I remember a big fight broke out in the standing room only crowd! And I got caught right in the middle of it....people swaying back and forth...scary!!....The only one who thought it was funny was one of Molly Hatchet's guitar players who was standing right over it...He had the biggest smile on his face!!.....What does this short story have to do with burgers? Absolutely nothin' except I ate a Whataburger that night!........but it did have a football connection....The middle linebacker for Edinburg High was involved in the melee and got his leg broken!.....least that's what I heard.........anyway, at least I got to see Bon shortly before his death in Feb. 1980.... That Valley I tell ya....crazy stuff happens!......:crazy1:

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Anything south of Robstown is the Valley.... Anything north of the San Antonio River is Yankee Country!!!!I'm in Corpus and closer to Kingsville than I am to Sinton :)

Sinton 40 min drive, Kingsville 35 min drive.

jason
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
no, anything south of san antonio is just northern mexico

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:25 PM

And we consider that an insult, sir.

99IHSMustang
11-20-2013, 12:30 PM

way to stay classy there bud.

44INAROW
11-20-2013, 12:35 PM
No....but I did see AC/DC in concert with opening act Molly Hatchet in Mission back on Sept. 1979!!..:D....I remember a big fight broke out in the standing room only crowd! And I got caught right in the middle of it....people swaying back and forth...scary!!....The only one who thought it was funny was one of Molly Hatchet's guitar players who was standing right over it...He had the biggest smile on his face!!.....What does this short story have to do with burgers? Absolutely nothin' except I ate a Whataburger that night!........but it did have a football connection....The middle linebacker for Edinburg High was involved in the melee and got his leg broken!.....least that's what I heard.........anyway, at least I got to see Bon shortly before his death in Feb. 1980.... That Valley I tell ya....crazy stuff happens!......:crazy1:

damn Cam - I was in Sharyland in Aug - Sept of 1979.... I think I saw you... :hijacktd: my husband worked a switch engine down there for 6 months w/ Southern Pacific.. and I'd go down with my boys (3 and 1) OMG - we stayed in a little travel trailer.. go party over the border and took the boys with us - (during the day) never gave any thought to safety back then.. Well, except for the oldest one - he was "toe headed" and the locals would try to rub his head - W E I R D... Those were the days! ok carry one with the RGV chatter :)

Cam
11-20-2013, 12:42 PM

Come on now Jason!....and I thought I was the only dumbass on this board!!......I'm sure you were just joking right?
Just remember, on Memorial Day, don't forget to give thanks to all these "northern Mexicans" who died for your freedom!:

http://www.valleycentral.com/fallenheroes/#.UozywD7nZMs

mwrams
11-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Ok...Although I'm from North Central Texas, I reside in Harlingen and work in Willacy County and I can honestly say...The Rio Grand Valley is the land South of Kenedy County...ie...Willacy, Cameron, Hidalgo and Starr counties...

jason
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Come on now Jason!....and I thought I was the only dumbass on this board!!......I'm sure you were just joking right?
Just remember, on Memorial Day, don't forget to give thanks to all these "northern Mexicans" who died for your freedom!:

http://www.valleycentral.com/fallenheroes/#.UozywD7nZMs
I guess nobody can take a joke anymore. I must have missed the notice that the DL was politically correct....

miss the good ole days....

Cam
11-20-2013, 01:59 PM
damn Cam - I was in Sharyland in Aug - Sept of 1979.... I think I saw you... :hijacktd: my husband worked a switch engine down there for 6 months w/ Southern Pacific.. and I'd go down with my boys (3 and 1) OMG - we stayed in a little travel trailer.. go party over the border and took the boys with us - (during the day) never gave any thought to safety back then.. Well, except for the oldest one - he was "toe headed" and the locals would try to rub his head - W E I R D... Those were the days! ok carry one with the RGV chatter :)

Was that you???......Dang!....You almost broke my nose when you slammed the door shut!!....Here I was, innocent little ol' me going door to door at all the trailer parks tryin' to sell these dreadful fruit cakes for our baseball team's fundraiser.....My buddy and I figured we'd hit up the snowbirds in the trailer parks!..:eek: Did quite well actually...only a few got nervous after seeing two long-haired teenagers at their door wearin' REO Speedwagon and Thin Lizzy t-shirts respectively!!.....That's right, the boys WERE back in town and in you're neighborhood wanting your money in exchange for an inedible object!!!......:ack!:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
I guess nobody can take a joke anymore. I must have missed the notice that the DL was politically correct....

Nice job making Stephenville look really bad, Jason. Aren't you from Forney too? And that signature....yeah......

Oh by the way, there's a native "North Mexican" living in Stephenville now. My sister. I dare you to call her that to her face like you do to us here. You probably don't have the balls to do it.

caleb_mccaig
11-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice job making Stephenville look really bad, Jason. Aren't you from Forney too? And that signature....yeah......

Oh by the way, there's a native "North Mexican" living in Stephenville now. My sister. I dare you to call her that to her face like you do to us here. You probably don't have the balls to do it.

Not going to take sides here......but there really isn't anything more annoying than when you need to tell someone something or they try and talk to you and they don't know English.

Matthew328
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Not going to take sides here......but there really isn't anything more annoying than when you need to tell someone something or they try and talk to you and they don't know English.

I hear this a lot...maybe its just me but I rarely encounter this in my day to day....

I've got a different perspective having in lived in another country though....I know I tried learning french and its tough to learn a new language as an adult...def. something that doesn't happen overnight...especially a language as cooky as American English

Cam
11-20-2013, 03:07 PM

:thinking:.....get annoyed easily huh??......

caleb_mccaig
11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I hear this a lot...maybe its just me but I rarely encounter this in my day to day....

I've got a different perspective having in lived in another country though....I know I tried learning french and its tough to learn a new language as an adult...def. something that doesn't happen overnight...especially a language as cooky as American English

Yeah, English is the hardest language for an individual to learn due to slang and what not. During my last two years of college I worked for a house building company as someone who managed over sub-contractors. So you can imagine the population in that profession is probably more than 50% spanish speaking. You have no idea how frustrated it became to get simple directions or phrases across. I would say, "paint that wall" and five guys would look at me like I'm speaking the foreign language. Now, since I've graduated I haven't dealt with it other than just being out in public and hearing it whenever I'm at Wal-Mart or a restaurant.

Cam
11-20-2013, 03:14 PM

....well, you could always move to Switzerland and learn German, French, Italian, and/or Romansh!.....

Ecco, se pensi di essere abbastanza intelligente!

C'est si vous pensez que vous ętes assez intelligent!

Cam
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah, English is the hardest language for an individual to learn due to slang and what not. During my last two years of college I worked for a house building company as someone who managed over sub-contractors. So you can imagine the population in that profession is probably more than 50% spanish speaking. You have no idea how frustrated it became to get simple directions or phrases across. I would say, "paint that wall" and five guys would look at me like I'm speaking the foreign language. Now, since I've graduated I haven't dealt with it other than just being out in public and hearing it whenever I'm at Wal-Mart or a restaurant.

ya better stop now dude....you're giving me a lot of material to work with here!....:spitlol:
BTW, you ought to visit Chinatown (San Francisco) sometime!....I can already see you miscommunicatin' while ordering a hotdog and gettin' a deer penis instead!.....:doh:

jason
11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
....well, you could always move to Switzerland and learn German, French, Italian, and/or Romansh!.....

Ecco, se pensi di essere abbastanza intelligente!

C'est si vous pensez que vous ętes assez intelligent!
I picked Port Isabel to play in the D2 state final...that has to count for something, right?

YTBulldogs
11-20-2013, 03:29 PM
ya better stop now dude....you're giving me a lot of material to work with here!....:spitlol:
BTW, you ought to visit Chinatown (San Francisco) sometime!....I can already see you miscommunicatin' while ordering a hotdog and gettin' a deer penis instead!.....:doh:

:tisk: Not the old penis-dog in SF.

Cam
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I picked Port Isabel to play in the D2 state final...that has to count for something, right?

:thinking:.....well that depends.....how far you got Burnet goin'?...:D

Go PI Tarpons! My old fishin' grounds....I miss Padre!......

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Is THIS what you're missing?

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/YeagerRamuh/PISPI_zpsc12ecf72.jpg

rico
11-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Nice picture!

jason
11-20-2013, 05:04 PM

losing friday night! :D

Cam
11-20-2013, 05:06 PM
losing friday night! :D

...ain't happenin'...:foul:

Cam
11-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Yep!...used to wade fish just to the left of the bridge on the island side....also fished on a boat just to the left of the bridge many a time......when I was about 13, some family friends took me on my first fishing trip on a boat out there......Them two dudes made the mistake of putting me in the middle of a fairly small aluminum boat......Anyways, on one of my first casts, I promptly bopped Rudy (who was sittin' in the front) on the back of the head!!!....BOOM went the rod!!...that musta hurt!!....Oops!........then about 15 minutes later, I got a bite, over reacted and not only did I try to set the hook, I tried to yank the fish's head off!....But all I did was hit Arnold (who was sittin' behind me) on top of the head with my rod!!!.....So, I was two for two!!.....They gave me some dirty looks but they never said a word!......I mighta been swimmin' with the black tips that day had they not liked my family so much!!!!........They never invited me again!...Great memories indeed!!:doh:...
Laguna Vista and Holly Beach had some of our favorite spots...

mwrams
11-20-2013, 05:46 PM

I was just there this past Saturday....You just have to watch the Gestapo cops in Los Fresnos. They will stop you for going 3 miles over! Speedtraps all over!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
I was just there this past Saturday....You just have to watch the Gestapo cops in Los Fresnos. They will stop you for going 3 miles over! Speedtraps all over!!!

Yes, Los Fresnos is NOTORIOUS! If the limit is 30, do 25. And if those School speed limit lights are flashing, do 15 mph. I'm not kidding.

1stnurseryman
11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Wow this thread went south in a hurry... Now I'm just kidding I'm in the valley every other week with work and I love it..

Ranger354
11-20-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm in Corpus and closer to Kingsville than I am to Sinton :)

Sinton 40 min drive, Kingsville 35 min drive.

Then you are on the SOUTH side of CC..... If your coordinates are south of Robstown you might be considered by some folks as In The Valley....... lmao!!!!

sinfan75
11-20-2013, 10:41 PM
no, anything south of san antonio is just northern mexico I don't think so piss ant!!

Manso/V8
11-21-2013, 12:02 AM

I think you are being way too sensitive about this.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-21-2013, 12:13 AM
I think you are being way too sensitive about this.

Why are you telling ME this? LOL look how many 3ADL posters he insulted with his statement! Some are very well respected posters too, I might add. I'm the only one that had the balls to tell Jason just how it is. And yes, I was insulted by his remark. Who the hell wouldn't?

rico
11-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Just like there's folks in Texas that have never heard of the Big Bend region and don't realize
how different and beautiful it is, I'm sure there are people in Texas that have never been to or
heard of The Rio Grande Valley/Port Isabel/South Padre Island. Texas is a big and amazing State,
I wouldn't live anywhere else. (At least not for long!)

iFootball
11-21-2013, 07:51 AM
There's a big 5A game between Harlingen and Sharyland this weekend.

Matthew328
11-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Big Bend Country is gorgeous as well...Alpine is a great little town with a lot going on....

Manso/V8
11-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Why are you telling ME this? LOL look how many 3ADL posters he insulted with his statement! Some are very well respected posters too, I might add. I'm the only one that had the balls to tell Jason just how it is. And yes, I was insulted by his remark. Who the hell wouldn't?

Well, I thought it was pretty obvious he was joking.
You said you considered it an insult and obviously it really bothered you because you posted again about twice.
I think jokes like that should be taken in stride.
It is pretty obvious that South Texas and especially the RGV has a strong Mexican cultural influence and heritage, what is so offensive about that?
I like Mexico, I like the RGV, I like Texas, and I like the Mexican influence on Texas culture.

pancho villa
11-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Do the futbol teams in the valley use zapatos when they play?

pancho villa
11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Or should I say any teams south of San Antonio!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Do the futbol teams in the valley use zapatos when they play? Hola! http://www.956sports.com/forum/images/smilies/dance.gif

pancho villa
11-22-2013, 10:50 AM
The futbol South of SA smells like my cono!!

pancho villa
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
como estas

caleb_mccaig
11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
como estas

Probably the best profile on the entire website.

rico
11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Gooo tarpons!!

Cam
11-22-2013, 01:44 PM
The futbol South of SA smells like my cono!!

:eek:....pancho villa is a girl???.................for those who don't get it, coņo is a word in Spanish, in slang dictionaries, it actually means a woman's genitals!!!.....sorry pancho....you said it not me!....gee wiz...the stuff I gotta deal with on this forum!.....:doh:...:spitlol:

Cam
11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Gooo tarpons!!

:2thumbsup

rico
11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
:eek:....pancho villa is a girl???.................for those who don't get it, coņo is a word in Spanish, in slang dictionaries, it actually means a woman's genitals!!!.....sorry pancho....you said it not me!....gee wiz...the stuff I gotta deal with on this forum!.....:doh:...:spitlol:
Way to go Panchita.