PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 AREA GOTW: Argyle (11-0) vs. Melissa (9-2)

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2013, 08:11 PM
7:30 p.m. Friday, Prosper

orange machine
11-17-2013, 08:13 PM
This will be a beat down. Argyles coaches have those kids dialed in playing at a high level.

Argyle 66
Melissa 7

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2013, 08:16 PM
It was voted by the fans as GOTW. Beat out some good competition IMO.

orange machine
11-17-2013, 08:26 PM
It was voted by the fans as GOTW. Beat out some good competition IMO.

This won't be a game at all!!!

Eagle Nation
11-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Hopefully starters play more that a half to get ready for Gilmer.

Aguilafanatico
11-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Doesn't sound like the Argyle coaches or players are taking any games for granted (as they shouldn't). There was a healthy respect for Krum and I suspect even more for a dangerous Melissa team. There are a ton of guys on this team that fully understand how quickly it can end.

adoptedbuckeye
11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Hopefully starters play more that a half to get ready for Gilmer.

Y'all don't worry about little ol' Gilmer...

regaleagle
11-17-2013, 11:08 PM
According to MaxPreps, the Melissa Cardinals have averaged scoring 44 pts/game while allowing 24pts/game in 11 games so far this season. Their offense is balanced with an avg. of 235 yds passing/game and 220 yds. rushing/game for a total offensive avg of 455 yds/game. These are impressive numbers for any team based on 11 games. I noticed their only losses were to Celina in Week 0 by 4 pts. and to Princeton in Week 9 by 10 pts. In the process they defeated Paris by 30 and Estacado by 28. Melissa also defeated a good 2A team in Gunter, one of their old 2A rivals. This Melissa team has some credentials, and runs the spread effectively. I don't know about their skill players, or their defense, but judging from the scoring stats I'd say they are more than capable in moving the ball on the ground as well as thru the air. There's an important message underlying these stats that should be noted...... DON'T TAKE THIS TEAM LIGHTLY. Melissa has a pedigree as a State Champion in the large 2A division in their short history already. After moving up to 3A in the most recent realignment, they have done well in both seasons against the competition. NEVER ASSUME. This Cardinals team has some athletes, and when it comes time to play a game of football....it's athlete vs athlete. School size and records don't matter at this time of the season. Each week and each game is its own matchup. Win or go home crying. That's the reality of it all and there are no second chances to rectify mistakes. This game should have some big plays made by both schools during the course of the game. Argyle will be tested this week, imo. It's time to play clean, mistake-free football with very few penalties. If Argyle can do this, they should come out on top. It's the mistakes that can cost any team a win at this juncture. Talentwise, I believe Argyle has a big advantage. But remember, the Eagles have lost 2 starting LB's for the season already, and that can make a difference. An interception here, or a lost fumble there, and things can happen. That doesn't even take into account the Cardinals regular offense of 455 yds a game and scoring of 44 pts a game. This Melissa squad has credentials and should not be taken lightly. NEVER ASSUME.

Aguilafanatico
11-17-2013, 11:22 PM
According to MaxPreps, the Melissa Cardinals have averaged scoring 44 pts/game while allowing 24pts/game in 11 games so far this season. Their offense is balanced with an avg. of 235 yds passing/game and 220 yds. rushing/game for a total offensive avg of 455 yds/game. These are impressive numbers for any team based on 11 games. I noticed their only losses were to Celina in Week 0 by 4 pts. and to Princeton in Week 9 by 10 pts. In the process they defeated Paris by 30 and Estacado by 28. Melissa also defeated a good 2A team in Gunter, one of their old 2A rivals. This Melissa team has some credentials, and runs the spread effectively. I don't know about their skill players, or their defense, but judging from the scoring stats I'd say they are more than capable in moving the ball on the ground as well as thru the air. There's an important message underlying these stats that should be noted...... DON'T TAKE THIS TEAM LIGHTLY. Melissa has a pedigree as a State Champion in the large 2A division in their short history already. After moving up to 3A in the most recent realignment, they have done well in both seasons against the competition. NEVER ASSUME. This Cardinals team has some athletes, and when it comes time to play a game of football....it's athlete vs athlete. School size and records don't matter at this time of the season. Each week and each game is its own matchup. Win or go home crying. That's the reality of it all and there are no second chances to rectify mistakes. This game should have some big plays made by both schools during the course of the game. Argyle will be tested this week, imo. It's time to play clean, mistake-free football with very few penalties. If Argyle can do this, they should come out on top. It's the mistakes that can cost any team a win at this juncture. Talentwise, I believe Argyle has a big advantage. But remember, the Eagles have lost 2 starting LB's for the season already, and that can make a difference. An interception here, or a lost fumble there, and things can happen. That doesn't even take into account the Cardinals regular offense of 455 yds a game and scoring of 44 pts a game. This Melissa squad has credentials and should not be taken lightly. NEVER ASSUME.

:ditto:

bearbear78
11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Y'all don't worry about little ol' Gilmer...
Kilgore ended any major worries!

orange machine
11-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Yall will blow them out trust me, this won't be a game at all! By the half it will be way over!

Steernation
11-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Argyle 21+

buckeyebob
11-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Argyle @ Melissa Matchup Preview

Argyle Melissa
58 Score Prediction 20
0.989 Win Probability 0.011

Predictions
Statistic Mean Std Dev
Argyle Margin 38.1 16.8
Argyle P(W) 0.989 ---
Melissa Margin -38.1 16.8
Melissa P(W) 0.011 ---
Total Points 77.6 16.6

adoptedbuckeye
11-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Kilgore ended any major worries!

Dang just when I thought I had forgotten about that. Glad Kilgore ended yalls worries, but for us they taught a very valuable lesson that ANY team can be beaten and we won't take that for granted. I know Argyle won't take Melissa for granted and they will win convincingly. I would rather be the underdog anyway

waterboy
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Dang just when I thought I had forgotten about that. Glad Kilgore ended yalls worries, but for us they taught a very valuable lesson that ANY team can be beaten and we won't take that for granted. I know Argyle won't take Melissa for granted and they will win convincingly. I would rather be the underdog anyway

Yeah, I thinked we learned our lesson when we lost to that slouch of a team Kilgore!:rolleyes: There's absolutely no need to worry about the Buckeyes... We have some unfinished business to take care of, and it starts up again Thursday night.

Argyle will likely take Melissa behind the woodshed.

Aguilafanatico
11-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I thinked we learned our lesson when we lost to that slouch of a team Kilgore!:rolleyes: There's absolutely no need to worry about the Buckeyes... We have some unfinished business to take care of, and it starts up again Thursday night.

Argyle will likely take Melissa behind the woodshed.

I'm confident that if both Gilmer and Argyle advance, Gilmer will show up. That said, we Argyllians are focused on the task at hand.......big game Friday Night!

waterboy
11-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm confident that if both Gilmer and Argyle advance, Gilmer will show up. That said, we Argyllians are focused on the task at hand.......big game Friday Night!

I don't doubt it one bit. See y'all next week..., I hope! I'm kinda getting accustomed to our annual slugfest. It wouldn't have been the same had y'all not gone D2.

hollywood
11-18-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't doubt it one bit. See y'all next week..., I hope! I'm kinda getting accustomed to our annual slugfest. It wouldn't have been the same had y'all not gone D2.

You mean D1? ;)

ccmom
11-18-2013, 03:43 PM
You mean D1? ;)

Huh?? You're confusing me!!!

waterboy
11-18-2013, 05:44 PM
You mean D1? ;)

No, I mean D2. If they had gone D1, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to play them. It's always a slugfest. This makes the 4th straight year we've played Argyle. That is, if we both take care of business this week.

adoptedbuckeye
11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
No, I mean D2. If they had gone D1, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to play them. It's always a slugfest. This makes the 4th straight year we've played Argyle.

And each year the meeting gets more tense as the rivalry builds steam.

hollywood
11-18-2013, 06:04 PM

You mean D1? ;)

Huh?? You're confusing me!!!

No, I mean D2. If they had gone D1, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to play them. It's always a slugfest. This makes the 4th straight year we've played Argyle. That is, if we both take care of business this week.

LOL... I guess I'm not up on the East Texas grammar. Double negatives set me off. Believe it or not ccmom, I don't need bi-focal glasses yet like you! :taunt:

Aguilafanatico
11-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Crickets

hollywood
11-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Jackets

adoptedbuckeye
11-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Jackets
Parkas

hollywood
11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Parkas

Eskimos

regaleagle
11-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Well, I won't be attending the game this week against Melissa. I'll wait to see this week's results before making a commitment to travel a great distance for a game worth the drive. Ima hopin' Melissa can give our boyz a real game at least thru 3 quarters, but at the same time it's always good to see your team playing quality football and in control on the scoreboard. From what I've seen, read, and listened to each week thru the season, all the games have been over by halftime or at least early in the 3rd quarter....Celina was no different. They did score 13 pts.in the first half, but by halftime it was 35-13. At the end of the third it was 56-13, and our starters were already out of the game for the most part. So I'm just a little apprehensive about what's gonna happen if and when this team runs into a team that can push the Eagles to the 4th quarter. It's pretty much unchartered territory this season for this particular group. There's pluses and minuses to having your backups playing so many minutes each week. Healthwise, having the starters on the bench with the game in hand is the way to go....except that in football a key player(or any player) can be injured on any given play in the game. Sam Sizelove's season ended from injury on a first quarter play. Ian Sadler's State Championship game ended on Argyle's first offensive series. That's football....so that's part of the landscape. What really has me concerned is how the team will perform in a game where the starting units are required to play to the final whistle. That hasn't occurred yet for Argyle this season. What that really means is that Argyle has yet to be tested as a team....fully tested. OR it could mean that they are just that much better than even some of the better teams Argyle has defeated that my concerns are frivolous. But without Sizelove and Hackney handling their LB positions for the rest of the playoffs....I tend to think those are two very good reasons to be concerned....at least against some of these playoff contenders. Now against Celina and a little bit against Krum the coaching staff did have Nick Ralston playing some defensive LB for the team, and with his size, strength, speed, and abilities he did amazingly well. For those of you that are not aware.....Nick Ralston is a beast of a RB for Argyle, and routinely carries tacklers five yards(several tacklers) and routinely breaks tackles at the line for his 7. 8 yd gain avg. I think he's about 6-1" 215 and all muscle. He's got uncanny abilities, light on his feet, great vision of the field, and a football mentality on the field....qualities coaches salivate over. He's just a junior this season....his third on varsity and 2nd as Argyle's main rb. Injuries each week become a huge concern for all teams in the playoffs, and Argyle has already experienced the BIGGEST loss we could have on defense with the loss of Sizelove for the rest of the season. Hackney was a big loss too, but he was already out several games before the Sizelove loss....and both are All-District LB's from last year....Sizelove All-State. Now you can understand why my concerns are what they are. The Linebacker position is a demanding position and tough to fill....I don't care how talented a player is. Sizelove played 52 straight games at his linebacker spot for Argyle before going down in the first quarter of the 9th game this season....his Sr. season....and you just can't replace that kind of experience. Ditto for Hackney to a lesser degree. In summary, opposing coaching staffs will be trying to exploit these areas of loss in the Argyle defense, and Argyle is trying to shore them up at the same time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming game(s) that may or may not make a difference. Argyle does have depth and talented youth in 15 varsity sophs. for the entire season, though. We shall see what we shall see. Stay tuned.

regaleagle
11-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, I won't be attending the game this week against Melissa. I'll wait to see this week's results before making a commitment to travel a great distance for a game worth the drive. Ima hopin' Melissa can give our boyz a real game at least thru 3 quarters, but at the same time it's always good to see your team playing quality football and in control on the scoreboard. From what I've seen, read, and listened to each week thru the season, all the games have been over by halftime or at least early in the 3rd quarter....Celina was no different. They did score 13 pts.in the first half, but by halftime it was 35-13. At the end of the third it was 56-13, and our starters were already out of the game for the most part. So I'm just a little apprehensive about what's gonna happen if and when this team runs into a team that can push the Eagles to the 4th quarter. It's pretty much unchartered territory this season for this particular group. There's pluses and minuses to having your backups playing so many minutes each week. Healthwise, having the starters on the bench with the game in hand is the way to go....except that in football a key player(or any player) can be injured on any given play in the game. Sam Sizelove's season ended from injury on a first quarter play. Ian Sadler's State Championship game ended on Argyle's first offensive series. That's football....so that's part of the landscape. What really has me concerned is how the team will perform in a game where the starting units are required to play to the final whistle. That hasn't occurred yet for Argyle this season. What that really means is that Argyle has yet to be tested as a team....fully tested. OR it could mean that they are just that much better than even some of the better teams Argyle has defeated that my concerns are frivolous. But without Sizelove and Hackney handling their LB positions for the rest of the playoffs....I tend to think those are two very good reasons to be concerned....at least against some of these playoff contenders. Now against Celina and a little bit against Krum the coaching staff did have Nick Ralston playing some defensive LB for the team, and with his size, strength, speed, and abilities he did amazingly well. For those of you that are not aware.....Nick Ralston is a beast of a RB for Argyle, and routinely carries tacklers five yards(several tacklers) and routinely breaks tackles at the line for his 7. 8 yd gain avg. I think he's about 6-1" 215 and all muscle. He's got uncanny abilities, light on his feet, great vision of the field, and a football mentality on the field....qualities coaches salivate over. He's just a junior this season....his third on varsity and 2nd as Argyle's main rb. Injuries each week become a huge concern for all teams in the playoffs, and Argyle has already experienced the BIGGEST loss we could have on defense with the loss of Sizelove for the rest of the season. Hackney was a big loss too, but he was already out several games before the Sizelove loss....and both are All-District LB's from last year....Sizelove All-State. Now you can understand why my concerns are what they are. The Linebacker position is a demanding position and tough to fill....I don't care how talented a player is. Sizelove played 52 straight games at his linebacker spot for Argyle before going down in the first quarter of the 9th game this season....his Sr. season....and you just can't replace that kind of experience. Ditto for Hackney to a lesser degree. In summary, opposing coaching staffs will be trying to exploit these areas of loss in the Argyle defense, and Argyle is trying to shore them up at the same time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming game(s) that may or may not make a difference. Argyle does have depth and talented youth in 15 varsity sophs. for the entire season, though. We shall see what we shall see. Stay tuned.

What's really ironic about this whole thing is that the injury occurred to Sizelove while he was playing receiver on the offense. All those games at Linebacker....All-State his junior season, and a verbal to Kansas State....fully healthy. It's also ironic that the injury occurred against probably what was Argyle's weakest opponent all season...Aubrey. Not that it matters now, but this scenario only illustrates how difficult it can be for even a player of Sizelove's stature to play every game of his high school football career without missing a game(eventhough in his particular case that was 4 seasons, almost).

hollywood
11-21-2013, 11:46 AM
regaleagle, no one is giving Melissa a chance... according to the poll anyway. What's up?

regaleagle
11-21-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't pay much attention to polls personally, unless I know very little about a team. When Sizelove went down, it put a dagger thru the heart of this team. Yes...the players may have even more resolve now to win it all for Sam, but resolve can only carry a team so far. The reality of football is that when 2 of your senior starting linebackers are gone for the season....well that's a difficult situation to put on the rest of the defense, period. I noticed against Celina that some "holes" were not being filled that Sizelove just automatically covered when he was on the field. When Hackney went down, Sizelove and Hinnrichs made up the difference. Now two are gone, so that difference is not doubled, but multiplied....even with Ralston in there to help out. If there was a highly capable backup ready to assume duties, then what is Ralston doing in there instead??? The backups have more "time on the job" than he does. But he fits the bill better, is more athletic, fleet of foot, and stronger. Probably the best replacement at this point. Gilmer looms on the horizon only a week away. My concerns are not just for this game against Melissa, but the Argyle playoff run. Besides, the Melissa qb may be able to exploit some areas of the Argyle D also. I consider Gilmer to be the best equipped team in 3A, despite their loss to Kilgore. That loss could just as easily been a win. But for Gilmer, it had the effect of giving THEIR players more resolve and THEIR coaches more direction how to improve the Buckeyes overall. When a team is winning by blowouts every week, it's difficult for the Coaching Staff to pinpoint areas of concern, or to get the attention of the boyz. Not so now with Gilmer....they've been there done that. I suspect tonite they will absolutely dismantle Pittsburg on the field...chomping at the bits to get to an Argyle meeting. This is "what's up".

adoptedbuckeye
11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't pay much attention to polls personally, unless I know very little about a team. When Sizelove went down, it put a dagger thru the heart of this team. Yes...the players may have even more resolve now to win it all for Sam, but resolve can only carry a team so far. The reality of football is that when 2 of your senior starting linebackers are gone for the season....well that's a difficult situation to put on the rest of the defense, period. I noticed against Celina that some "holes" were not being filled that Sizelove just automatically covered when he was on the field. When Hackney went down, Sizelove and Hinnrichs made up the difference. Now two are gone, so that difference is not doubled, but multiplied....even with Ralston in there to help out. If there was a highly capable backup ready to assume duties, then what is Ralston doing in there instead??? The backups have more "time on the job" than he does. But he fits the bill better, is more athletic, fleet of foot, and stronger. Probably the best replacement at this point. Gilmer looms on the horizon only a week away. My concerns are not just for this game against Melissa, but the Argyle playoff run. Besides, the Melissa qb may be able to exploit some areas of the Argyle D also. I consider Gilmer to be the best equipped team in 3A, despite their loss to Kilgore. That loss could just as easily been a win. But for Gilmer, it had the effect of giving THEIR players more resolve and THEIR coaches more direction how to improve the Buckeyes overall. When a team is winning by blowouts every week, it's difficult for the Coaching Staff to pinpoint areas of concern, or to get the attention of the boyz. Not so now with Gilmer....they've been there done that. I suspect tonite they will absolutely dismantle Pittsburg on the field...chomping at the bits to get to an Argyle meeting. This is "what's up".

Agreed :-)

hollywood
11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
LOL, well, that's one way to put it. Gilmer has weaknesses too regal! Every team has weaknesses. It's the ones that can overcome adversity and execute on a consistant basis week in and week out that make it to the big show. The teams that just keep getting better each week. Losing a leader and key players at this point in the season is a big let down, BUT if the team can rally behind that, Argyle can overcome. If you watched the FSSW speciall on Brownwood Lions football history, you know that it doesn't take the teams with the most talent to win it all. Gordon Wood got the most out of the players he coached and most years, Brownwood had the smaller teams going up against more talented and bigger ones. Just sayin

regaleagle
11-21-2013, 03:38 PM
LOL, well, that's one way to put it. Gilmer has weaknesses too regal! Every team has weaknesses. It's the ones that can overcome adversity and execute on a consistant basis week in and week out that make it to the big show. The teams that just keep getting better each week. Losing a leader and key players at this point in the season is a big let down, BUT if the team can rally behind that, Argyle can overcome. If you watched the FSSW speciall on Brownwood Lions football history, you know that it doesn't take the teams with the most talent to win it all. Gordon Wood got the most out of the players he coached and most years, Brownwood had the smaller
teams going up against more talented and bigger ones. Just sayin

A top of the line excellent point you have there, Hollywood. I realize this is so true, in the pro ranks, the college level, and especially with high school teams. The fact that Argyle is so deep this season is a BIG advantage for this team. The fact that Coach Rodgers has a plan and is executing it with this team as the season has progressed is another reason this particular team is so successful. Coach Rodgers has been there, done that....and has made the correct adjustments for the team to succeed DESPITE these kinds of setbacks. He and his staff have prepared the team to succeed and overcome when that time comes. This is the one overwhelming factor that all Eagle fans can hang their hat on. The coaches are getting more out of the players than they have been able to accomplish in past seasons. We do have some special talent on this Argyle team, but we also did in years past. The difference is the other players and what they are able to accomplish working together....the team chemistry. Chemistry is just rising above and beyond what the player feels he is capable of accomplishing. In Argyle now....in all endeavors....there is no ceiling. The sky is the limit, maybe. This is a tribute to our AD and Head Football Coach, the administration, and the parents and community that supports the endeavors of these kids. That's why I said earlier in a different thread..."when you play Argyle, you're not just playing the players on the field".

adoptedbuckeye
11-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Gilmer has offered their sacrifice up to the football gods and await tomorrow night's outcome. Man it's gonna be a long week....

BB BULLS
11-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Argyle x a bunch

poisoned10
11-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Is there a link to listen online?

Sent from my iPhone

Aesculus gilmus
11-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Is there a link to listen online?

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.meridix.com/everywhere.php?liveid=Sportsgram9

or

http://mcn.melissaisd.org

poisoned10
11-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks!

I also discovered this thread dedicated to listing information just like you provided.

Sent from my iPhone

Aesculus gilmus
11-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Yep, I have to admit that's where I found the Melissa stream. I already knew about Argyle's from listening to it in past years. I still haven't decided which one I'm going to listen to.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Let's get started . 28 degrees with a 15 mph wind out of the north in Prosper tonite. Melissa won the toss and deferred. Argyle will recieve and be going north right into the wind. The Melissa Cardinals have a very prolific balanced offense, running and passing for almost a 250 yd/ game avg. They use 2 qb's that have both passed for about 1300 yds. each. Argyle is the visiting team tonite. Melissa won the Class 2A State Championship 2 years ago.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Melissa will kick downwind. Hunter Treadwell takes it at the 3 after it landed on the 20 and bounced down to the 6 and was tackled on the 1 yd. line. On first and 99 yds. Ian Sadler takes it out to the 9 yd line on a qb keeper.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:34 PM
First down on a 2nd down run by Sadler. Now there are out to the 24 yd. line after 3 runs by Sadler.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:36 PM
The turf is wet with a misty wet cold blowing precip tonite, so the conditions are very raw.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Fourth and 1 on the 36 of Argyle. The Eagles are going for it. Sadler keeps it past the 50 on the Melissa side of the field for a 14 yd. pickup on 4th and 1. They started at their own half yard line.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Ralston picks a big yardage. Now Argyle is at the Cardinal 27. 3rd down and 3. Now Ralston powers a counter play down to the 14.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
A classic drive for the Eagles. Against the wind on their own half yard line to start this playoff game. No passes by Argyle yet. Just a power drive up the field. Now Melissa stops them on 3rd. 4th and 4 and Hedland will attempt a field goal into that stiff breeze. It's up and good. Argyle scores on the openining possession.

Argyle 3
Melissa 0

85 yd. drive took 6:40

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Now Melissa starts on their own 26 with the wind. They gain 10 yds. on first on a run with a 4 wide set.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Melissa's Ellis breaks one down to the Argyle 40. He's short and very quick....hard to pick up. Now Melissa runs it down to the 21.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Argyle calls a timeout with 2nd and 6 from the Argyle 16. Alot of missed tackles so far for Argyle with the conditions and the speed of Melissa's offense.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Eagles throw Melissa for a loss, but holding agaisnt the Cardinals. 2nd and 17. Now offsides by the Cardinals. 2nd and 22.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Incomplete pass. Now 3rd and 22 for Melissa. QB draw is a great call, but Taylor Sweatt makes the stop. 4th and 17. Going for it. Overthrown pass and Argyle holds. Argyle will take over now on thier own 30.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Nick Ralston just breaks a 68 yd. run off tackle to the 2 yd. line on 1st down. A big hole on the left side and he's off to the races. Ralston scores on the next play. 70 yd. drive on 2 runs by Ralston.

Argyle 10
Melissa 0
\
3:02 1st qtr.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Hedland kicks a high pooch to the Melissa 30, the reciever muffs it but jumps back on it. Melissa ball now at their own 30.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Taylor Sweatt(linebacker) recovers a pitch, but they call it a forward pass. Melissa now on 3rd throws a fade but they throw a flag on pass interference. 1st down for Melissa on the spot call at the Cardinal 47. The ball was overthrown.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Marcus Ellis, 5'9" 150 lbs scatback for Melissa runs it down to the Argyle 5 with a couple of downfield blocks. Now he scores from the 2. Very fast and runs the ball well. TD for Melissa.

Argyle 10
Melissa 7

59 secs left in the 1st qtr. That was a 70 yd. drive....aided on 3rd by the questionable pass interference call on a ball way overthrown.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Melissa tries a squibb kick onside kick but Argyle recovers it. Eagles at the Cardinal 48 now on first.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:05 PM
On first down Argyle takes it down to the Cardinal 40.. On second Sadler gets a first down to the Cardinal 34.

End of 1st.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Now Argyle has the wind at their back. Sadler fakes a jet sweep and keeps it for 3 yds on 1st to start the 2nd quarter.

Eagle Nation
11-22-2013, 09:08 PM
After the 1st Q
Argyle 173 yrd rushing 0-1 passing
Melissa 121 yrds rushing 0-3 passing

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Bad snap. Boyzuick hops on it and now it's 4th down. Argyle will elect to go for it. It would have been a 57 yd. field goal. A pass to Ian Sadler is almost caught, but about 4 dbacks around him prevented him from hauling it in.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Melissa takes over on their own 40. 1st down is dropped for a loss. 3rd and 6 now at the Cardinal 44. Timeout Cardinals.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Big play coming up for Melissa now at close to midfield. 3rd and 6 and Micah Capra drops him for a big loss on the pass attempt. Cardinals will now punt it into the wind. Line drive kick all the way down to Eagle 27 against the wind.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:15 PM
On first down Ralston pops open a hole for Sadler as he goes 31 yds to the Cardinal 37. Ralston now breaks a tackle in the backfield and another tackle, carries a few into the end zone for a 30 yd. all-state run. TD Argyle.

Argyle 24
Melissa 7

31 yd run by Sadler and 30 by Ralston with a 9 yd. by Ralston in between for 70 yds. on 3 plays on the drive.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Hedland drives the kick into the end zone. Melissa will start on its own 20.

El Prup Bulldog
11-22-2013, 09:18 PM
On first down Ralston pops open a hole for Sadler as he goes 31 yds to the Cardinal 37. Ralston now breaks a tackle in the backfield and another tackle, carries a few into the end zone for a 30 yd. all-state run. TD Argyle.

Argyle 24
Melissa 7

31 yd run by Sadler and 30 by Ralston with a 9 yd. by Ralston in between for 70 yds. on 3 plays on the drive.

Ralston and Sadler are a tough tandem for any defense to have to cope with.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Reese Thompson nearly intercepts that one on third down and 5. Now they will have to punt it into the wind again. Sadler lets it go and it bounces back toward the Cardinal goal. It was a high punt. The rain is falling at a 70 degree angle. Argyle takes over and the ball is knocked loose from Sadler but Drew Estrada of Argyle falls on it. Ralston picks up 1st down on 3rd and 8.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Sadler throws to Puccerello and hits him in the chest but it bounces off....it was thrown so hard. Ralston runs for a lst again.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Jon Pooch takes the jet sweep 11 yards for a 1st to the 21 of Melissa. Ralston tries a halfback pass to Treadwell, but underthrows him. Sadler runs it for a 1st on 2nd and 10 down to the 11.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Sadler runs it in from the 11. Another 70 yd. drive for Argyle. The Eagles starting to assert their dominance now.

Argyle 24
Melissa 7

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Hedland drives the kick deep into the endzone. Melissa starts on their own 25 into the wind. 1st down is thrown for a 1 yd. loss on inside pitch of jet sweep.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Another loss as Capra and Treadwell trap the runner behind the line. 3rd down for Melissa now. Argyle calls timeout with 3:37 left in the 1st half.

Eagle Nation
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
So far Ralston 192 yrds and Sadler 105 yrds on the ground

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:33 PM
The score is actually 24-7.....I missedscored the 3rd score for Argyle and added 14 points to their 10 points instead of 7.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Argyle is trying to score before the half now, but it's now 4th down and 6 for Argyle . Hedland will attempt a 31 yarder. Kick is .......GOOD!!!

Argyle 27
Melissa 7

55 secs. left in the half.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Conner Wilson levels Alexander as he goes up high to make the catch on a deep pass on 1st. Ball is jarred loose as Alexander is just leveled.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Melissa completes one down to the Argyle 35 on an inside slant. 28 secs. to half. Melissa scores about 43 pts per game. They are a really good offensive team. It's a trick play and is thrown back to the qb down to the 28. Down to the 5 yd. line now. 5 secs left. Last play. Argyle calls timeout.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Melissa will try to score on this last play of the half. The qb scrambles for it but is dropped by Capra and Thompson to end the half.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Argyle 27
Melissa 7

Halftime

Melissa will recieve the 2nd half kickoff with the wind at their backs.

Eagle Nation
11-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Halftime stats
Argyle 339 yrs rushing
0 passing
Ralston 192
Sadler 121

Melissa 150 rushing
41 passing

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Argyle's Hedland will kick to start the 2nd half into the wind. It's high and fielded at the 28 and takes it out to the 40. Melissa sets up shop to start the 2nd half with great field position and going with the wind. Capra playing standup DE breaks up 1st down and throws Ellis for a 5 yd. loss. 2nd down Wilson breaks up a long pass that is nearly intercepted. 3rd and 15 the throw is overthrown as Regan Paige pressures qb. 4th and long downwind punt to Argyle 29. Three and out for Argyle on Melissa that time.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Boyzuick hands to Conner Wilson on jet sweep and turns 5 yd. loss into 6 yd gain on pure athleticism.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Ralston runs for 1st down and a big hit by the Melissa LB for the stop for a 4 yd gain.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Their goes Ralston with a big block downfield from JC Chalk(soph) and takes it 40+ yards down to the 16. Now he takes it down to the 5.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Ralston off the left side into the endzone untouched. Nick Ralston does it all on this drive. 60 yds. in 4 plays....all Ralston.

Argyle 34
Melissa 7

71 yd. drive in 5 plays, actually. The first play of the drive was started by Conner Wilson.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Melissa's other Sr. qb is now in to try on this Argyle defense this series. They are very equal in talent.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:17 PM
3rd and 8 for the Cardinal at their 48. Nearly intercepted pass by Reese Thompson. 3 and out for Melissa. They should punt it now.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
A great punt fielded by Hunter Treadwell down at the 28. He gets a block, then there he goes. He returns that punt 75 yds for TD....his 2nd punt return for a TD this season in only is 2nd try on a punt return this season. He has great speed, obviously. Hunter is a Sr. Dback and is one of Argyle's great secondary players.

Argyle 41
Melissa 7

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:22 PM
On 2nd down now for Melissa a big hit jars the ball and Taylor Sweatt jumps on the ball. It's Argyle's ball on the Melissa 20.. ON first down Ralston bullies his way and thunders into the end zone for another score. Two TD's in less than a minute here for Argyle.

Argyle 48
Melissa 7

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:25 PM
21 unanswered points for Argyle here in the 3rd. quarter. Melissa fields the kick and starts on its own 36 after a short return of Hedland's kickoff. On first down, Melissa is thrown for another loss.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Long pass broken up on 2nd down and nearly intercepted. 3rd down now for Melissa. Pass thrown deep. Drew Estrada knocks the ball out of the reciever's hands. Here's the punt to the 18 yd. line taken by Sadler, but he only returns it 10 yds. to their own 28. Argyle still going into the wind in the 3rd here.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Ralston gets a first on 2nd and 9, then takes it down past the 50 carrying 3 tacklers for another 1st. JC Chalk has another great block to give Ralston some room to gain another 5 yds. RAlston now over 335 yds. rushing so far.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Ralston gains 5 on 3rd and 3 for another 1st down. Argyle down to the Melissa 38.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Argyle losses 7 on a backward pass that didn't work. Now there's goes Ralston down to the Melissa 31. 3rd and 2 now.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Guess who gets the first down on 2nd effort for Argyle. Ralston was stiff arming one tackler and shouldering the other as he got the first. UH-OH.....Ralston does it again as he breaks one down the sideline and outruns everybody to the goal line. TD Nick Ralston.

Argyle 55
Melissa 7

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm really tired of typing this quick action.....Argyle is wearing me out and I can't keep up with the action. Finally, a timeout. 1:28 left in the 3rd and Melissa has the ball.
:

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:39 PM
QB sweep as Argyle throws him for a 1 yd. loss. 3rd and 11 for Melissa. QB draw gets Melissa its first first down of the half.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Final play of the 3rd quarter gets a 5 yd penalty for Melissa for offsides. End of 3rd quarter. 55-7 Argyle.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Start of the 4th here. Melissa against the wind. Incomplete pass by Melissa. 3rd and 3. Melissa runs for a 1st.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Melissa reciever makes a great catch deep in the end zone as he is hit, but holds on for a Melissa TD.. Jackson Webb made the catch.

Melissa 14
Argyle 55

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Now Argyle will probably rest Ralston and the starters here to start the 4th. 510 yds. of rushing so far by Argyle. Ralston has 365 in 3 qtrs.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Argyle has the backups in now and will try to run the clock. Cooper Rodgers at qb now. Braden Helliker picks up 23 yards on a run on 1st down. He's a soph.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Offsetting penalties on unsportsmanlike as Hellicker gets tackled. 3rd and 7 for Argyle on the Melissa 37. Rodgers completed the first pass for Argyle tonite. 4th and 3 for Argyle now. They go for it. Chance Bode takes it down for another first down. Could have let Hedland kick it, but decided to just go for it. Would have been a 47 yard attempt.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
All the younger players are out there playing hard to try to get a starting position for next season. Good competition among the sophs here.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Cooper Rodgers is a junior qb and is Coach Rodgers son. The junior class if really small in football....only 10 juniors on varsity this season, but 15 sophs. in a talented class.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:54 PM
BAll goes over on downs to Melissa. Marcus Ellis runs it down to the Argyle 40 on a long run. He's a Sr. rb for Melissa this season and has great numbers on the season.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I would say this Melissa team would give most teams in the playoffs trouble, but just ran into a tough playoff draw against Argyle tonite. They are actually a very good offensive team.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a rockem sockem war of wills next week as Argyle and Gilmer match up for the 4th straight season in a row. Melissa scores on a TD pass now. Melissa now has scored 21 points on Argyle. They haven't quit.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Melissa will kick to Argyle now. It's about 4 mins. left in game. Pooch kick to Argyle. The Eagles start on their own 35 now.

Eagle Nation
11-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Next week will be played in south Dallas at jesse Owen complex @ 7pm unless the time changes during the wk

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Argyle fumbles on handoff and Melissa recovers on Argyle's 36 yd line. Melissa runs it to the Eagle 24.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Now the Melissa qb Mc Geehee fumbles, but scoops it up and runs for a positive gain around the corner.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Melissa incomplete. 3rd and 6.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Melissa down to the 5 now for a first down. Beard is hit at the LOS but keeps his feet and fights for another Melissa TD.

Argyle 55
Melissa 28

Not really a 55-28 game though.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Total domination by the Argyle starters. A little over 3 mins. left in the game now. Melissa can keep their head held high after tonite. They just ran into a really good Argyle club.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Now lets see if Argyle can kill the clock and hang onto the ball here to end the game. 2:55 left in the game.

regaleagle
11-22-2013, 11:11 PM
I did not attend this game, obviously, but the weather was described as treacherous. Kudos to all players tonite across the state and esp. North Texas for playing in this weather. The fans are the ones that have had to endure the dreary conditions the most. It has conitinued to precipitate all night long with this wind and cold. Now the rain is really coming hard....it's literally pouring now as the game ends.

Argyle 55
Melissa 27

Final

Thank Goodness it's finally over. Geez, that was alot of action to type fast.

Eagle Nation
11-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Ralston set a school record for rushing 365 yrds

Celina8
11-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I have said all along that Argyle has that "IT" factor this season and for some teams you can just tell from the very first game of the year. Argyle's offensive line took control of this game on the opening possession as they drove 85 yards for a FG after being pinned down on their own 1 yard line. Melissa is a very good team, and they have nothing to be ashamed of as they played their hearts out , but were just over matched by a great Argyle team. Next weeks game against Gilmer will provide some of the best smack talk on this board that we have not had in long time. It is going to be a fun time here on the Downlow and I will fire the first shot as I say Argyle will win this game and this game will be much like the State Championship game between Gilmer and Liberty Hill in 2007. Gilmer is good, but I don't think they will be able to stop the machine that is Argyle.

hollywood
11-23-2013, 08:57 AM
I have said all along that Argyle has that "IT" factor this season and for some teams you can just tell from the very first game of the year. Argyle's offensive line took control of this game on the opening possession as they drove 85 yards for a FG after being pinned down on their own 1 yard line. Melissa is a very good team, and they have nothing to be ashamed of as they played their hearts out , but were just over matched by a great Argyle team. Next weeks game against Gilmer will provide some of the best smack talk on this board that we have not had in long time. It is going to be a fun time here on the Downlow and I will fire the first shot as I say Argyle will win this game and this game will be much like the State Championship game between Gilmer and Liberty Hill in 2007. Gilmer is good, but I don't think they will be able to stop the machine that is Argyle.

Celina8, you make good points. Argyle has flexed their muscle all season and proved they have depth on defense. Will it be enough to overcome and hold off a very good Gilmer offense? To be determined. With Argyle's ability to run the ball behind that OL, Gilmer will be in for a challenge.

Let's take a look at the Carthage/Navasota game. I think most thought it would be a much closer game. Carthage was able to flex their muscle. After talking a couple of neutral folks during the Gilmer/Kilgore game, they said Carthage would win by 2-3 TD's over either team. Whether that would happen or not, we'll never know this season. What we do know is the Argyle/Gilmer game will be a battle of two very good teams playing to advance another round. The outcome of this game will be determined on which team executes the best. It's the third round and there is no room for mistakes or pour execution.

May the best team prevail!

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Argyle incorporated a smashmouth running game last night against Melissa, rushing 59 times for 577 yards and attempting only 5 passes(3 by the backups). Argyle never punted, and caused Melissa to punt 6 times for a 34 yd avg. Argyle's qb Boyzuick was a nonfactor in the game plan for this game as Sadler and Ralston showed fans the thunder and lightning two-pronged attack that Melissa knew was coming, but couldn't stop. Great offensive line blocking sprung runs all night for the Eagles as the passing game was basically put on hold for better conditions. Normally, Argyle will throw for about 175 yds in 3 qtrs. but not in last night's rainy, windy, cold, dreary conditions. Passes were not necessary for Argyle as the coaches unfolded a gameplan that controlled this game for Argyle on both offense and defense.

Aguilafanatico
11-23-2013, 08:58 PM
As has been pointed out but I will reiterate, Melissa has no reason to hang their heads. They played hard the entire game, even as it had gotten away from them. They played clean and professionally. I was also impressed that their side of the stadium stayed relatively full the entire game in nasty conditions. Congratulations on a great season Melissa.