PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball - state semifinal/finals

K-MAC Chuck
11-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Feel free to post team info, broadcast info here.
Congrats to the FINAL FOUR - Bellville (Region 4), College Station (Region 3), Decatur (Region 2), Big Spring (Region 1)

K-MAC Chuck
11-17-2013, 10:59 AM
According to MaxPreps site..
Big Spring 32-13
Decatur 20-6
College Station 33-16-1
Bellville 40-7-1

Is it possible Decatur's only played 26 matches, or is their record not complete on MaxPreps?

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
According to MaxPreps site..
Big Spring 32-13
Decatur 20-6
College Station 33-16-1
Bellville 40-7-1

Is it possible Decatur's only played 26 matches, or is their record not complete on MaxPreps?

I would think they are not complete. What are the pairings?

K-MAC Chuck
11-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I would think they are not complete. What are the pairings?

This, from the UIL Manual for State Tournament Seeding for Volleyball - "Teams will be placed in the bracket according to their win/loss record. The two best records will be placed in opposite halves and the third best record will be placed up or down as determined by a coin flip."

1. Bellville 40-7-1 (.854)
2. Decatur 20-6 (.769)
3. Big Spring 32-13 (.711)
4. College Station 33-16-1 (.670)

Thus, in this scenario, Bellville and Decatur would be top 2 seeds, with a coin flip to determine 3 & 4...but again, this scenario isn't complete until we get Decatur's full-season record.

K-MAC Chuck
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Here you go, direct from the UIL:

Friday, Nov. 22
Conference 3A Semifinals

1 p.m. Decatur (39-7) vs. Big Spring (32-13)

3 p.m. Bellville (40-7) vs. College Station (31-11)

Eagle11
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Here you go, direct from the UIL:

Friday, Nov. 22
Conference 3A Semifinals

1 p.m. Decatur (39-7) vs. Big Spring (32-13)

3 p.m. Bellville (40-7) vs. College Station (31-11)
Decatur had two L's to Argyle and the rest were 5a teams. This is the year of the Eagle

ccmom
11-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Decatur had two L's to Argyle and the rest were 5a teams. This is the year of the Eagle

That's who my money would be on. I will also say that the way Big Spring has ramped it up since district play is pretty darn impressive. However, I'm thinking Decatur brings home the gold this year. Good luck to all.

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Bellville vs. Decatur in the final (Not sure who I would pick to win yet)

Red Bull
11-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Got to go with Bellville. Bring home that 10th title Brahmanettes!

Scoop27
11-17-2013, 10:50 PM
I graduated with Bellville coach Susan Brewer at East Bernard way back in the early 1970s. We were good friends and partied together

rb585
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Why is this no longer in San Marcos?

ccmom
11-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Why is this no longer in San Marcos?

They changed the site last year, I believe. Maybe it was the year before that, but I'm thinking last year was first year for the change. My memory is not the greatest these days, though. ;) I don't really know why they did it except maybe to rotate sites. They did the same with regional tourney last year, as well.

Scoop27
11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I remember when they had it at Gregory Gym in the 1980s and watched East Bernard win some state championships before they moved it to San Marcos. Gregory Gym had a great atmosphere

rb585
11-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I remember when they had it at Gregory Gym in the 1980s and watched East Bernard win some state championships before they moved it to San Marcos. Gregory Gym had a great atmosphere

They had it at Burger Center, which is a complete dump, before SM.

K-MAC Chuck
11-18-2013, 01:35 PM
They changed the site last year, I believe. Maybe it was the year before that, but I'm thinking last year was first year for the change. My memory is not the greatest these days, though. ;) I don't really know why they did it except maybe to rotate sites. They did the same with regional tourney last year, as well.

Hey CC Mom..actually they changed it 2 years ago - to the utter amazement of MANY!! And the reason for the change: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... think about who we're talking about here, LOL

rb585
11-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Hey CC Mom..actually they changed it 2 years ago - to the utter amazement of MANY!! And the reason for the change: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... think about who we're talking about here, LOL

If they're changing things because of $$$$, then they definitely need to change the basketball site -- they actually pay UT several hundred thousand $$ for the use of the Erwin Center.

Scoop27
11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Will any of these matches being video webcast on the net?

Scoop27
11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Just found the link
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/story/Live-Webcasts-Set-for-UIL-Volleyball-Sta?blockID=963185&feedID=3742

cotulla
11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
The volleyball state tournament was moved to Garland last year because the Austin F1 car race squeezed them out of the San Marcos Hotel market.

The UIL could not reserve enough hotels for the teams.

Everyone liked Garland so much, they decided to keep it there this year even with the F1 race being last week.

Same thing is happening with the state basketball tournaments and the SXSW concert festival. Look for basketball to move to another location in the future with the Erwin Center being demo'd in the near future.

rb585
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Everyone liked Garland so much

First time anyone has ever said this.

iFootball
11-19-2013, 07:08 PM
5A teams are pretty darn good

regaleagle
11-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah, and the real state championship match already occurred in the Region II tournament between Argyle and Decatur. Argyle was No. 1 ranked and lost to an equally talented and high ranked team in Decatur. Both teams are Eagles, one district apart, and in the same region. Argyle's record was 32-10, including the 3-2 match loss to Decauter in the regional. All other losses were to either 5A or 4A. Good luck to the Decatur Eagles. Region 2 is pulling for you to bring the trophy back.

Red Bull
11-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah, and the real state championship match already occurred in the Region II tournament between Argyle and Decatur. Argyle was No. 1 ranked and lost to an equally talented and high ranked team in Decatur. Both teams are Eagles, one district apart, and in the same region. Argyle's record was 32-10, including the 3-2 match loss to Decauter in the regional. All other losses were to either 5A or 4A. Good luck to the Decatur Eagles. Region 2 is pulling for you to bring the trophy back.

Not so fast. I am sure Argyle and Decatur are very good, but so is Bellville. Most all of their losses are to very good Houston area 5A teams. Also, Bellville beat a #1 ranked Wimberly team at regionals so rankings don't always mean everything.

Good luck to Brahmanettes! Bring back that 10th title for Bellville.

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
And RTC is a solid Class A school and beat some 2A and 3A teams in non-district. RTC is traditon rich

ccmom
11-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Decatur vs Big Spring

All Decatur in the first set. They won 25-12

Big Spring leads 2nd set 5-1

ccmom
11-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Big Spring leads 2nd 16-12

16-16 now

ccmom
11-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Decatur wins 2nd 25-22

ccmom
11-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Decatur wins 2nd 25-22

Decatur wins 3rd 25-10 and sweeps Big Spring to advance to title game tomorrow.

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Bellville up 2-1 sets over College Station

PhiI C
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Bellville wins over College Station 3-1.

State Championships Here Comes Region IV!!

K-MAC Chuck
11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Awesome..
Seems like a couple Cinderella stories in the finals...
Decatur, who has won some very big matches...Bellville, the look-at-who-we-are squad ..

Amazing Decatur swept Big Spring out of a tough Region I.. Still, gotta root for Bellville, a first-year K-MAC Sports affiliate. Good luck to BOTH teams in the state championship match!

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 09:28 AM
I have faith that the Decatur Eagles will dominate this match. They are the real deal. Argyle was the real deal too, but this Decatur squad was able to overcome Argyle in the regional final in a very close exciting match and win to advance. They had previously lost 2 games to Argyle in its predistrict match....that one was close too. All other losses for both schools was to 4A and 5A schools. Bellville will be tested....we shall see what the Brahma girls bring to the SC match.

ccmom
11-23-2013, 10:00 AM
I have faith that the Decatur Eagles will dominate this match. They are the real deal. Argyle was the real deal too, but this Decatur squad was able to overcome Argyle in the regional final in a very close exciting match and win to advance. They had previously lost 2 games to Argyle in its predistrict match....that one was close too. All other losses for both schools was to 4A and 5A schools. Bellville will be tested....we shall see what the Brahma girls bring to the SC match.

I think Decatur will win, too but I'm not sure about the "dominating" part. They could very well do so, but I think Bellville will come to play.

By the way, Argyle vs Decatur was in the qtr finals...not the regional final.
Good luck to both teams!! Fun times!!

Eagle11
11-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I think Decatur will win, too but I'm not sure about the "dominating" part. They could very well do so, but I think Bellville will come to play.

By the way, Argyle vs Decatur was in the qtr finals...not the regional final.
Good luck to both teams!! Fun times!!
This has been a good month for decatur athletics. Girls got second at state in Xc and the boys eighth then Taylor Clayton won gold in the individual race. The football team won their second playoff game last night and now the girls are playing for a ring today. Great time to be an eagle fan

Manso/V8
11-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Yeah, and the real state championship match already occurred in the Region II tournament between Argyle and Decatur.

Uncharacteristic sour grapes comment.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Bellville will win

duckhunter
11-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Awesome..
Seems like a couple Cinderella stories in the finals...
Decatur, who has won some very big matches...Bellville, the look-at-who-we-are squad ..

Amazing Decatur swept Big Spring out of a tough Region I.. Still, gotta root for Bellville, a first-year K-MAC Sports affiliate. Good luck to BOTH teams in the state championship match!
Not sure if you're referring to Bellville as a Cinderella story making it to the state game this year. They expect it every year. I think the number if state championships and appearances at the state tournament validate that fact

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Uncharacteristic sour grapes comment.

You misread my post. Just saying that was the match of two of the best teams in 3A. Look back when Decatur defeated the Argyle girls. I congratulated them wholeheartedly. I have no reason to feel sorely about a good Argyle girls team being defeated by this very good Decatur girls team. Besides, Argyle and Decatur have been playing against each other since Argyle's inception in most sports. I think I'm fairly aware that the relationship between the schools is a healthy, respectful one. Take your sour grapes back to your own region and leave Region II alone....you don't know what you're talking about.

ccmom
11-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Decatur takes first two sets 25-21, 25-18...

ccmom
11-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Third set tied at 18

ccmom
11-23-2013, 04:27 PM
24-24

ccmom
11-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Decatur wins a hard fought third set 27-25. Congrats on your state title!!

Congrats to Bellville on a fantastic season, as well.

Eagle11
11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=ccmom;1786898]Decatur wins a hard fought third set 27-25. Congrats on your state title!!

Decatur went 21-2 thru the payoffs. Great year for the lady Eagles.

Manso/V8
11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
You misread my post. Just saying that was the match of two of the best teams in 3A. Look back when Decatur defeated the Argyle girls. I congratulated them wholeheartedly. I have no reason to feel sorely about a good Argyle girls team being defeated by this very good Decatur girls team. Besides, Argyle and Decatur have been playing against each other since Argyle's inception in most sports. I think I'm fairly aware that the relationship between the schools is a healthy, respectful one. Take your sour grapes back to your own region and leave Region II alone....you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, and the real state championship match already occurred in the Region II tournament between Argyle and Decatur.

No, I didn't misread your first post. You did back track a bit when you said Argyle and Decatur were two of the best teams in 3A.
Argyle might have been the best, or the second best team in the state the day they played and lost to Decatur in their Region II match, but they didn't advance.
The playoffs are more than who has the best team or the most talent.

The real state championship is being played today.
To say different takes away from the achievements of the other teams.

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Congrats to the Decatur Eagle girls.....a state volleyball title. Good going for you and for Region II. It was a highly competitive year over here in our region this year, and the team that could get in Argyle's way did...and went all the way. If we couldn't get it done, we are happy your girls did.

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 04:43 PM
No, I didn't misread your first post. You did back track a bit when you said Argyle and Decatur were two of the best teams in 3A.
Argyle might have been the best, or the second best team in the state the day they played and lost to Decauter in their Region II match, but they didn't advance.
The real state championship is being played today. To say different takes away the achievements of the other teams.

But that's not sour grapes, Pardner. And Bellville didn't exactly play Decatur as tightly as Argyle did....did they? Your region is not our region. Congrats to the Bellville Brahma girls in making it to the SC title game. I believe that the Decatur girls today proved to be the better squad.....kinda like I stated on here previously.

Manso/V8
11-23-2013, 04:59 PM
But that's not sour grapes, Pardner. And Bellville didn't exactly play Decatur as tightly as Argyle did....did they? Your region is not our region. Congrats to the Bellville Brahma girls in making it to the SC title game. I believe that the Decatur girls today proved to be the better squad.....kinda like I stated on here previously.

Congrats to Eagles on their SC, they earned the honor.
Congrats to the Brahmanettes on a great seson.

I think you are missing my point.
Argyle played Decatur closer than Bellville played them today. It is likely in a rematch Argyle could beat Decatur.
Perhaps on some other day, the Brahmanettes could maybe come out on top.
In the playoffs it matters what you do that day.

"Yesterdays are gone forever and tomorrows may never happen, but today you have the opportunity to make a difference."

Bullaholic
11-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Congrats to the Lady Eagles on their 1st SC. Decatur is a our fiercest and oldest rival, but I want to congratulate them on this outstanding sports achievement. I will further say that Bellville and Decatur were very evenly matched, the part of the games I watched, and these Bellville girls have much of which to be proud and are continuing to be part of a great, outstanding volleyball legacy in their town.

regaleagle
11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
The Argyle/Decatur quarterfinal was a rematch of an earlier win by Argyle in a predistrict contest. That's how Argyle got their top ranking, among other wins also. When Decatur defeated Argyle when it mattered most, I kinda figured they would be a tough out in the State Tourney. Then when they defeated Big Spring like they did....well I knew already how good Argyle was, and this Decatur group was just going to town on everybody else. No knock on any of the other state qualifiers.....just kudos to this particular Decatur girls volleyball squad. They went out and beat the best in 3A right down the line.....the way a real State Champ does.

K-MAC Chuck
11-24-2013, 12:50 PM
UIL State Volleyball All-Tournament Teams

AUSTIN, TX— The 2013 UIL Volleyball State All-Tournament Teams, as selected by the Texas Girls Coaches Association Volleyball Committee follow.

*Indicates championship game MVP, as selected by the media.

Conference 3A

*Cooper Martin Jr. Decatur

Stormi Leonard Jr. Decatur

Caroline Lowery Jr. Decatur

Hannah Baker Sr. Bellville

Keeton Holcomb Jr. Bellville

Brady Gillum Fr. College Station

K-MAC Chuck
11-24-2013, 12:52 PM
(on a side note, I'm guessing whomever un-stuck my sticky won't do it again)

Aguilafanatico
11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Congrats to Decatur. Well deserved!

5wide
11-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Decatur will be a favorite for a repeat. They return all three of the girls mentioned on the all tournament team plus another outside hitter as well as a sophomore who started for them.

Scoop27
11-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Congrats to RTC for the Class A championship

Red Bull
11-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Congrats to Decatur. I knew they would be tough for Bellville when I saw their size and athleticism in the semi final match.

The Bellville girls have nothing to hang their head about for they had a great season. To put the most wins up in a season at Bellville is really saying something. Bellville returns the big outside hitter, two key middle blockers and the libero. They also have plenty in the pipeline coming up as the always do.