ccmom
11-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Friday
7:30
Wichita Falls Memorial Stadium

Anybody have some insight on Cooper?

ccmom
11-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I screwed up on the poll and should have put "Lubbock Cooper Pirates" or "Cooper Pirates" but you get the idea. Good thing I don't know of any Cooper posters on here who will get offended. ;)

Anyway, I can't believe jacketwood hasn't chimed in. I can usually count on him for insight on a team, regardless of whether he actually knows anything about them or not!! ;)

Sweetwater Red
11-16-2013, 05:34 PM
I screwed up on the poll and should have put "Lubbock Cooper Pirates" or "Cooper Pirates" but you get the idea. Good thing I don't know of any Cooper posters on here who will get offended. ;)

Anyway, I can't believe jacketwood hasn't chimed in. I can usually count on him for insight on a team, regardless of whether he actually knows anything about them or not!! ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

slingshot
11-16-2013, 08:04 PM
...Anybody have some insight on Cooper?Good running team, Inverted Wishbone (Diamond) offensive set... don't throw much, pretty good defense. Should be a good test but I like our chances--we're playing pretty good right now and peaking at the right time. Have overcome a TON of injuries and just keep on working...

ccmom
11-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Good running team, Inverted Wishbone (Diamond) offensive set... don't throw much, pretty good defense. Should be a good test but I like our chances--we're playing pretty good right now and peaking at the right time. Have overcome a TON of injuries and just keep on working...

Thanks for the info, doc. Go Dawgs!! Let's make some new memories in WF. ;)

Razorback88
11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Cooper will move up a class next Feb. Large numbers, big, physical kids. More of a ground and pound style out of the shotgun. They can throw a little bit. They match up well with Wylie. Should be a good game.

Razorback88
11-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Cooper and Wylie could be in same district next year as well.

ccmom
11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Cooper and Wylie could be in same district next year as well.

Cooper enrollment 1144
Wylie enrollment 1003

I guess you never know what the UIL will do, but all the predictions indicate that those numbers would move Cooper to the new 5A and Wylie would be 4A D1. Cooper is really growing!! Wow!!

Looking forward to a good game!!

slingshot
11-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Cooper will move up a class next Feb. Large numbers, big, physical kids. More of a ground and pound style out of the shotgun. They can throw a little bit. They match up well with Wylie. Should be a good game.Agree--should be a great matchup. We are (finally) starting to look like a typical Wylie team... very
solid 'bend but don't break' defense, balanced offense--run and throw equally well. Has taken most of the season for us to gel, lots (unusual for us) of underclassmen playing key roles, lots of injuries to overcome, very tough early schedule. I like our chances in this one...

hollywood
11-19-2013, 12:46 AM

Haha! ccmom, let me grace you with my knowledge. Cooper High is located just south of the city of Lubbock. Actually in the small community of Woodrow. School colors are red and black, like the Red Raiders of Tech, and are the Fighting Pirates. They are well known for their accomplishments in FFA! They are strong in academics and athletics. They are a "recognized" campus. In athletics, they are mostly known for their strong baseball program, but their 2010 football team set a school record by being the first team to play past a holiday! They will compete. They are 9-2 this season with their only losses coming to 2 state ranked teams... 2A power Idalou and 3A power Shallowater. They will be a formidable opponent for Wylie High of the greater Abilene area.

I picked Wylie by the way! Y'all better win! We want Wylie in the Regional Finals!

slingshot
11-19-2013, 06:20 PM
....We want Wylie in the Regional Finals!Be careful what you wish for...

hollywood
11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Be careful what you wish for...

Why?

slingshot
11-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Why?
You might get more than you wanted. Have talked to several friends here that live and breath Stephenville football. All played there on previous State Championship teams and have watched this year's team in action, the consensus is this team is good but not up to previous levels. One in particular that started on two of the championship teams of the 90's stated this team is not nearly as good as last year's in his opinion and would fall by "two to three touchowns" to last year's team. Missing big #88... guy was a beast.

iFootball
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Wylie

hollywood
11-19-2013, 08:52 PM
You might get more than you wanted. Have talked to several friends here that live and breath Stephenville football. All played there on previous State Championship teams and have watched this year's team in action, the consensus is this team is good but not up to previous levels. One in particular that started on two of the championship teams of the 90's stated this team is not nearly as good as last year's in his opinion and would fall by "two to three touchowns" to last year's team. Missing big #88... guy was a beast.

Everyone has their opinion. I agree that this years team doesn't have the caliber passing attack as last years team. What do you expect? T Jones was an experienced senior with an experienced senior WR in Gunter. Other senior leaders as well. This years team makes up for the less stellar passing attack with a much better rushing attack and a stouter defense. And don't think for one minute this years team can't play catch. They can! Here's the deal. Last year, Sandifer said Wylie was one of the best teams he's fielded ever. The Ville won by 31 pts. How would you compare this years Wylie team to that one? Not near the level is what I'm hearimg. Stephenville may or may not be as strong as last years team offensively, but overall, I think are real close with the ability to pound the ball and a stouter defense. So... That would mean Ville would go in to a match up with Wylie as 14-21 pt favorites? Yeah, I think so slingshot.

;)

slingshot
11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Everyone has an opinion... I would say 'Ville would be a 20 pt favorite based on their respective bodies of work. A lot will depend on which team has improved the most from their early games of the season. I haven't seen 'Ville this year so can't personally comment. All i know is based on the comments of dyed in the wool, blue and gold bleeding 'Ville Exes that are very proud of their program and heritage. They say this team is 2-3 TD's weaker than last years--not me, I don't know.
As for Wylie, this is a very different team than last year. Last year's group peaked early then went on cruise control until running into the 'Ville buzzsaw. I know everyone has injuries but last year's Wylie team was honestly the worst I've seen. We had 4 of 5 starting O-linemen out with knee injuries, starting tailback hobbled with a badly sprained ankle, tight end out, 4 starters on defense out, etc, etc. When our best lineman went down in the 2nd quarter against ya'll our running game was toast--we had to throw every down and ya'll knew it. We hung with you until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter then got burned. This year we were terrible the 1st 3-4 games then our new starters and underclassmen started figuring it out. We now have an identity. Very tenacous defense--I think better than last years. More diverse run game--4 backs carrying the load instead of 1. Passing game still not there... QB is getting better every week and now is a credible running threat too. Will we even make it to the regional finals? Don't know. What I do know is we will not be an easy out from here on for any team. Good luck to 'Ville and most important I hope both teams stay healthy--would love to see a rematch.

hollywood
11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Everyone has an opinion... I would say 'Ville would be a 20 pt favorite based on their respective bodies of work. A lot will depend on which team has improved the most from their early games of the season. I haven't seen 'Ville this year so can't personally comment. All i know is based on the comments of dyed in the wool, blue and gold bleeding 'Ville Exes that are very proud of their program and heritage. They say this team is 2-3 TD's weaker than last years--not me, I don't know.
As for Wylie, this is a very different team than last year. Last year's group peaked early then went on cruise control until running into the 'Ville buzzsaw. I know everyone has injuries but last year's Wylie team was honestly the worst I've seen. We had 4 of 5 starting O-linemen out with knee injuries, starting tailback hobbled with a badly sprained ankle, tight end out, 4 starters on defense out, etc, etc. When our best lineman went down in the 2nd quarter against ya'll our running game was toast--we had to throw every down and ya'll knew it. We hung with you until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter then got burned. This year we were terrible the 1st 3-4 games then our new starters and underclassmen started figuring it out. We now have an identity. Very tenacous defense--I think better than last years. More diverse run game--4 backs carrying the load instead of 1. Passing game still not there... QB is getting better every week and now is a credible running threat too. Will we even make it to the regional finals? Don't know. What I do know is we will not be an easy out from here on for any team. Good luck to 'Ville and most important I hope both teams stay healthy--would love to see a rematch.

Understand that I have a lot of respect in Wylie's program and fans. Very passionate and competitive and support every sport, not just football. If I had to live anywhere near Abilene, I'd chose to live in Wylie ISD so that my kids would be able to experience a similar academic, athletic and social culture as what is offered in Stephenville. But would make sure we didn't live near ccmom or garciap77, we'd all be photographed drinking wine every weekend! :D

I honestly think Wylie is the strongest 3A team from anyone west of the Ville again this year. It would be a better game this year. I do know that the Ville has been working on different looks in some games this season. Both teams used the course of pre district and district play to prepare for the playoffs. Peaking at the right time! If you remember, last years team went through very very similar progression through the course of th season. Each Ville team, 2012 and 2013, lost 1 game. Last years was against Monterrey Tec, quite an embarrassment to be honest. Then this years team by Aledo. I swear the Mexico loss felt worse. A 10 pt loss to a team from Mexico, no bueno. Aledo this year is a freak of a team. They were the better team by far and are in 4A this year. No shame there. I'll be shocked if any team comes within 21 pts of them this season.

Enough of all that, here's to another Ville/Wylie match up in the Reg finals!

tex_male
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
@KTXSSports: HS FOOTBALL CHANGES: Wylie vs. Lub. Cooper changed to Saturday, 4:30 PM in Wichita Falls. #KTXS #FFN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ccmom
11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
@KTXSSports: HS FOOTBALL CHANGES: Wylie vs. Lub. Cooper changed to Saturday, 4:30 PM in Wichita Falls. #KTXS #FFN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Well I wish they would have changed the location while they were at it!!:ack!:

Oh well...Go Bulldogs!!

nobogey72
11-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Everyone has their opinion. I agree that this years team doesn't have the caliber passing attack as last years team. What do you expect? T Jones was an experienced senior with an experienced senior WR in Gunter. Other senior leaders as well. This years team makes up for the less stellar passing attack with a much better rushing attack and a stouter defense. And don't think for one minute this years team can't play catch. They can! Here's the deal. Last year, Sandifer said Wylie was one of the best teams he's fielded ever. The Ville won by 31 pts. How would you compare this years Wylie team to that one? Not near the level is what I'm hearimg. Stephenville may or may not be as strong as last years team offensively, but overall, I think are real close with the ability to pound the ball and a stouter defense.

So... That would mean Ville would go in to a match up with Wylie as 14-21 pt favorites? Yeah, I think so slingshot.

;)
Sandifer would never say that any team was one of the best he had ever fiellded. Ive watched him dance around questions like that for 30 years. In fact that is so far from anything he would say that it's comical. He never compares teams or players. That's just one of his VERY consistant deals. You would never get an answer to a question of which were your best teams or who was your best ever at......... whatever position. Wherever you dreamed that statement up, or whoever "told" you that is full of crap.

garciap77
11-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Understand that I have a lot of respect in Wylie's program and fans. Very passionate and competitive and support every sport, not just football. If I had to live anywhere near Abilene, I'd chose to live in Wylie ISD so that my kids would be able to experience a similar academic, athletic and social culture as what is offered in Stephenville. But would make sure we didn't live near ccmom or garciap77, we'd all be photographed drinking wine every weekend! :D

I honestly think Wylie is the strongest 3A team from anyone west of the Ville again this year. It would be a better game this year. I do know that the Ville has been working on different looks in some games this season. Both teams used the course of pre district and district play to prepare for the playoffs. Peaking at the right time! If you remember, last years team went through very very similar progression through the course of th season. Each Ville team, 2012 and 2013, lost 1 game. Last years was against Monterrey Tec, quite an embarrassment to be honest. Then this years team by Aledo. I swear the Mexico loss felt worse. A 10 pt loss to a team from Mexico, no bueno. Aledo this year is a freak of a team. They were the better team by far and are in 4A this year. No shame there. I'll be shocked if any team comes within 21 pts of them this season.

Enough of all that, here's to another Ville/Wylie match up in the Reg finals!

Wylie over the honey bees by 28!

slingshot
11-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Well I wish they would have changed the location while they were at it!!:ack!:

Oh well...Go Bulldogs!!This... WF :thmbdwn:

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2013, 07:21 PM

I fixed it. :) And also updated the date/time in the info thread.

hollywood
11-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Sandifer would never say that any team was one of the best he had ever fiellded. Ive watched him dance around questions like that for 30 years. In fact that is so far from anything he would say that it's comical. He never compares teams or players. That's just one of his VERY consistant deals. You would never get an answer to a question of which were your best teams or who was your best ever at......... whatever position. Wherever you dreamed that statement up, or whoever "told" you that is full of crap.

Can I get a mulligan?

I went back and read the article. It was the local trustworthy Abilene reporter Evan Ren who said "The fact that the Yellow Jackets were good enough to hang a 31-point loss on what is arguably one of the best teams Wylie has ever produced inspires comparisons."

My apologies nobogey72

Article from Reporter News
BC notebook: 2010 Brownwood vs. 2012 Stephenville? A tough pick

By Evan Ren
Posted December 3, 2012 at 6:15 p.m.
DiscussPrintAAA
PHOTO BY THOMAS METTHE, TOMMY METTHE/ABILENE REPORTER-NEWS // BUY THIS PHOTO

Thomas Metthe/Reporter-News Stephenville wide receiver Jarrett Stidham (1) tries to shake off Wylie defensive back Shante Brown (14) during the second quarter of the Bulldogs' 59-28 loss to Stephenville in the Class 3A Div. I state quarterfinal playoff on Friday, Nov. 30, 2012, at Memorial Stadium in Wichita Falls.
2010 Brownwood vs. 2012 Stephenville? A tough pick

It's been my contention that the 2010 Brownwood Lions were the most talented Class 3A football team I've ever seen — even after watching them lose to eventual state champion Carthage in a state semifinal.

But after watching Friday's Region I-3A Division I final between Stephenville and Wylie, I'm getting the urge to hedge my bets.

Whether Stephenville wins the state championship or not, this team is extraordinary and should be labeled as such. Let's not forget that many of the players from this team played a key role in SHS reaching a Class 4A DII regional final last year.

Now they're playing 3A.

The fact that the Yellow Jackets were good enough to hang a 31-point loss on what is arguably one of the best teams Wylie has ever produced inspires comparisons.

As for who would win a hypothetical matchup between 2010 Brownwood and this year's Stephenville club ... wow.

I'd hate to have to live on the difference, yet it's fun to speculate.

Brownwood of '10 was an offensive monster, with current University of Texas receiver, Jaxon Shipley, providing an unstoppable element that helped the Lions win 14 of 15 games with an average final score of 53-16.

The Lions had an all-state quarterback in Graylon Brown, a dual-threat all-Big Country running back in Stehl Ratliff and the AP Defensive Player of the Year in Caden Ellis among 10 Players who were listed as first- or second-team all-staters.

The Lions' 35-28 loss to Carthage literally came down the game's final drive, with a deflected pass in the end zone saving CHS with 0:02 left on the game clock. Had Brownwood won that game, the Lions would have gone on to win a state championship. A week later, Carthage easily won its third straight state title, burying Coldspring-Oakhurst 47-22. So in essence, the true state championship game that year occurred in the state semis.

Is it too early to start throwing Stephenville into this mix?

I don't think so — even if the Jackets fall to East Texas Monster Kilgore on Friday.

Stephenville has DI talent at quarterback in Tyler Jones and at receiver with Brice Gunter. It also has a running back in Witt Westbrook who plays a similar game to Ratliff.

Granted, Gunter isn't as explosive as Shipley. But overall, the Jackets of 2012 have more quality receivers to throw to — so many in fact that double-teaming Gunter is potentially deadly.

SHS' average margin of victory is less dominant at 45-21. But in fairness, the Yellow Jacket schedule has been absolutely brutal, with wins over Class 4A heavies from Aledo (41-28) and Amarillo (35-14) in the mix.

I discount a season-opening loss to Monterrey (Mex.) Tech, which was largely an unknown commodity for which Stephenville was admittedly unprepared.

That leaves us with two teams that rode a similar path.

If anyone in the area would be qualified to tell us which of the two teams is best, it would be Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer, who faced both of them.

Interestingly enough, Wylie has faced three of the most dominating Class 3A teams in recent memory — 2009 state champion Gilmer, 2010 Brownwood and this year's Stephenville crew — losing 43-26 to Gilmer and 45-7 to Brownwood.

I didn't try to put Sandifer in an awkward position by asking him which of his colleague's teams he thought was best. But I did ask him to comment on each.

"They were all very talented," Sandifer said. "Of course that '09 Gilmer team that we played for a state championship was led by an outstanding quarterback (Darian Godfrey), just like this year's Stephenville team and they're similar in that area.

"Stephenville has more weapons offensively than Gilmer did that year. Stephenville was very tough for us to defend — obviously, we couldn't slow them down. ... Of course, Brownwood's 2010 team had an outstanding quarterback as well, but a lot of their (yards) came from playmakers making plays.

"All three teams had quarterbacks who were explosive, running or throwing. ... Defensively, they're hard to compare, because I don't think we were as good offensively against that 2010 Brownwood team as we were in '09 or this year. But all three were great teams. One was a state champ, one got beat in the state semis and Stephenville has yet to be determined.

"But I'd have to put the bunch we played against on Friday night against either one of those other teams."

Who am I to argue?

© 2012 Abilene Reporter-News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.*

Discuss

hollywood
11-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Wylie over the honey bees by 28!

Honeybees would probably lose to those fiesty Lady Bulldogs in Volleyball!

ccmom
11-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Sandifer would never say that any team was one of the best he had ever fiellded. Ive watched him dance around questions like that for 30 years.
He's not kidding about that. Nobogey is OLD!! :taunt:

slingshot
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
He's not kidding about that. Nobogey is OLD!! :taunt:...and UGGGGLY!:stirpot: