PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 Area GOTW: Liberty Hill (10-1) vs Vernon (9-2)

panfan
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Saturday November 23 in Brownwood is what I'm hearing. Who ya got?

K-MAC Chuck
11-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Liberty Hill vs. Vernon
Saturday, Nov. 23, 3pm kickoff
Gordon Wood Stadium, Brownwood

LHexPlayer
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I love those Saturday games midday. What do we know about Vernon?

panfan
11-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Vernon is 9-2 so far, and went 3-1 in district. Looks like their defense has limited most teams to only a few scores and offense has racked up some numbers. In other words a team a lot like us. Ought to be a good shoutout. Don't know if they are a run based team, balanced, or passing team.

Deuce
11-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Primarily a run based team. Have a couple of RB's with very good speed. Defense is good against the run but Graham picked them apart in the air. This would be my vote for region 1 D2 game of the week.

panfan
11-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey Moderators - Can we add a poll to this. I had one worked up and then when I submitted it didn't show up. Thanks
I second this being a R1 GOTW for D2

fury900
11-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Vernon Lions vs Liberty Hill Panthers saturday Nov 23 3:00 pm @ Brownwood

panfan
11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Vernon Lions vs Liberty Hill Panthers saturday Nov 23 3:00 pm @ Brownwood

Hey Fury, look down a few rows and you'll see we already got a thread going. Course you can have your own in you wanna, but come join the other one. I asked the mods to put on a poll too. Come over there and tell us about Vernon.

hollywood
11-16-2013, 01:50 PM
This should be a great game! A cat fight! Two run based offenses going at the others solid defenses. Not really sure who to pick in this one. I'm picking who I picked in my brackets!

GO PANTHERS!

regaleagle
11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I've got Vernon picked in my bracket in this game. This game is matched up just like my bracket pickem. I think Vernon is sneaky good, and can win it late if needed. Defense may get them a few turnovers that could make a difference, also. Not sure about LH's defense. Gotta go with my bracket, lol.

Cam
11-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I've got Vernon picked in my bracket in this game. This game is matched up just like my bracket pickem. I think Vernon is sneaky good, and can win it late if needed. Defense may get them a few turnovers that could make a difference, also. Not sure about LH's defense. Gotta go with my bracket, lol.

LH D is plenty good....and quick!....Don't know much about Vernon but hear they're good...I gotta root for my neighbors and District 8-3A!!....Barneys keep moving on!...

K-MAC Chuck
11-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey Moderators - Can we add a poll to this. I had one worked up and then when I submitted it didn't show up. Thanks
I second this being a R1 GOTW for D2

done...

panfan
11-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks chuck

LHPfactory
11-16-2013, 10:49 PM
This should be a good game with LH adVANCEing to the next round :)

tex_male
11-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Should be GOTW!

panfan
11-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm so glad this game is Saturday. I was going to have to miss a Friday game due to business travel. Now I get to go and watch. I'm guessing folks in Vernon are alot like folks in Burnet - Only one 'puter that works so no one really posting about how good their team is. Anyone got any info on this verson team other than what we can all pull off Maxpreps?

Turin
11-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm so glad this game is Saturday. I was going to have to miss a Friday game due to business travel. Now I get to go and watch. I'm guessing folks in Vernon are alot like folks in Burnet - Only one 'puter that works so no one really posting about how good their team is. Anyone got any info on this verson team other than what we can all pull off Maxpreps?

Vernon is in the second year of running the Slot T. Their version is different than LH with the focus on fullback and halfback with very rare tailback carries. They will also run the one back spread at times. Big, fast fullback is main weapon but just returned from a month long injury this week. Vernon lost to Gatesville last year in the second round and returns alot of speedy skill players.

Cam
11-17-2013, 06:54 PM

...watch it there panfan!.....now we got two puters!.....we broke out an old Commodore 64 and she's up and runnin'!!!......she's a real beaut!!!......:doh:

Bosqueville
11-17-2013, 11:32 PM

And you get to watch it in a fantastic venue!

panfan
11-18-2013, 08:41 AM
...watch it there panfan!.....now we got two puters!.....we broke out an old Commodore 64 and she's up and runnin'!!!......she's a real beaut!!!......:doh:

Going old skool huh - did you break out the dot matrix printer as well!

panfan
11-18-2013, 08:43 AM
And you get to watch it in a fantastic venue!
Agree- I like that stadium. And we get to keep the mojo going. Seems like not to long ago we beat a maroon lions team in that stadium. That team played hard and to the end, just as I expect Vernon will.

panfan
11-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Vernon is in the second year of running the Slot T. Their version is different than LH with the focus on fullback and halfback with very rare tailback carries. They will also run the one back spread at times. Big, fast fullback is main weapon but just returned from a month long injury this week. Vernon lost to Gatesville last year in the second round and returns alot of speedy skill players.

Well their max preps numbers suggest they like to air it out a lot more than we do.

Turin
11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Well their max preps numbers suggest they like to air it out a lot more than we do.

Agreed. Though it looks like they only pull it out in the close games (Gainesville, Graham, Burkburnet) and possibly mostly from the spread. Those three games are of course their lowest rush/avg games and the three games they were held under 200 yards rushing.

panfan
11-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Agreed. Though it looks like they only pull it out in the close games (Gainesville, Graham, Burkburnet) and possibly mostly from the spread. Those three games are of course their lowest rush/avg games and the three games they were held under 200 yards rushing.

I watched some of the Graham v Vernon video. Graham was smothering on defense and Vernon really didn't have an answer thus the score. I'm not saying we are Graham - but we have a very quick defense that has kept us in a lot of games, simply by keeping the other offense off the field. Now, contrary to what Holly thinks (good teams don't have bad nights), we have also had are brain fart nights in defense where we gave up stuff that make you sit back and think. Huh??? Anyway, the fellas are in a playoff mode and they know this is their shot since next year, we have to go D1 and our chances might diminish a bit as a smaller D1 school.

thatdude
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Vernon is a Wing T team and had always been til they hired a football coach from New Mexico. He's Gone and the Offensive Coordinator is Back. They are back to their Bread n Butter. The kids have run this system since they were in MS. And had a two year window where they went to Spread, so it's not really new to them. It is the Leo Brittain Wing T that its based out of.

Turin
11-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Vernon is a Wing T team and had always been til they hired a football coach from New Mexico. He's Gone and the Offensive Coordinator is Back. They are back to their Bread n Butter. The kids have run this system since they were in MS. And had a two year window where they went to Spread, so it's not really new to them. It is the Leo Brittain Wing T that its based out of.

That explains alot. Vernon has a pretty good football history including a state championship. What caused the move to a spread coach? Did the long time previous coach leave or was let go after a couple bad years?

Deuce
11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Just FYI, Vernon has missed their best RB ever since the Graham game when he reaggrevated a injury. I thought I heard this week will be his 1st game back.

greendawg84
11-18-2013, 10:50 AM

So what are you saying panfan , they throw the ball twice a game ! :doh: Barney's roll on to the next round.

Turin
11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Just FYI, Vernon has missed their best RB ever since the Graham game when he reaggrevated a injury. I thought I heard this week will be his 1st game back.

He played last week against Lake Worth.

Dawgkillr
11-18-2013, 11:31 AM
That explains alot. Vernon has a pretty good football history including a state championship. What caused the move to a spread coach? Did the long time previous coach leave or was let go after a couple bad years?
I believe Coach Brittain retired from Vernon. He was Head Coach there for 25+ years.

LHPfactory
11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
He played last week against Lake Worth.

What kinda carries/yards has he put up this season?

thatdude
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
It was a combination of it being time for him to go and Health issues. He needed a break for sure.

panfan
11-19-2013, 07:45 AM
So what are you saying panfan , they throw the ball twice a game ! :doh: Barney's roll on to the next round.

I know this may come as a surprise to many, but we actually threw a TD pass the other night against Hillsboro - something like a 20 yarder. Dang, now that's airin it out. Must be hard for those teams that play us to be wondering the whole time, when are they gonna break out that cannon and launch one down field. :crazy:

panfan
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Here's some numbers - based on 11 games each:

Vernon - 824 yds receiving, 3515 rushing with 19 fumbles. On average they rack up 320 yards game, and pass for about 75 yd/game. Here's the one that got me 778 solo tackles, Damn!, and 21 sacks. Defense has given up a total of 152 points over 11 games. So maybe they are really making all those tackles! According to the tackling stats, they tackle everything that moves - refs, waterboys, cheerleaders, etc.

Liberty Hill - 3867 yd rushing, 152 yds receiving with 11 fumbles. Rush for about 351 yds/game and pass for 14 yds/game. Defense has 611 total tackles (solo and assists), 36 sacks, and has allowed 174 points.

There are no comparable games or common opponents.

Rain may be in the forecast for Saturday. Game may come down to who turns the ball over the least!!!

Dawgkillr
11-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Rain may be in the forecast for Saturday. Game may come down to who turns the ball over the least!!!

Think you hit the nail on the head with this! Should be a great game.

hollywood
11-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Liberty Hill vs. Vernon
Saturday, Nov. 23, 3pm kickoff
Gordon Wood Stadium, Brownwood

Vernon will feel more at home with the maroon trimmed facilities and maroon lion emblems all over the place!

http://media.timesrecordnews.com/media/img/photos/2013/10/12/138693_t607.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U4kUkdbyuF8/SrcFpPkcy-I/AAAAAAAAAQI/k4rZg9d1QkQ/s400/DSC_0121.JPG

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/brownwoodtx.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/9a/39aa2505-891c-5a3b-997d-2ec7ba555377/4e5ce71c2efa9.image.jpg

But, Liberty Hill has already won there this year!

http://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2013/10/19/1019BwoodvsLH0134_t607.JPG

http://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2013/10/19/1019BwoodvsLH0228_t607.JPG

Good stuff!

LHPfactory
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
I found a little video clip of Vernon:

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story/fnf-preview-2013-vernon-lions/d/story/ryAcDZ1gVUGfCnbVoIs1ow

panfan
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Here is a link to several photos from that game:

http://www.reporternews.com/photos/galleries/2013/oct/19/brownwood-vs-liberty-hill-football---10913/

VLion92
11-19-2013, 08:58 PM
What kinda carries/yards has he put up this season?

He has 1082 Yards and 14 TD's on just 81 carries.

panfan
11-21-2013, 01:50 PM
He has 1082 Yards and 14 TD's on just 81 carries.

Suggesting he has had some nice long break away runs. Both Fromme and Barrios for LH have similar yards, but over a higher number of carries (+130 carries each) and 11 TDs each. Neither have that blinding break away speed to carry it to the house once in the open (although they have outrun a few defenders here and there), but both have had nice 50+ to 70+ yard runs to advance the ball down the field. Sounds like a good even match up. As said earlier, it will probably come down to who turns over the ball the fewest times, which may be even more of a factor if its wet which it very well might be Saturday. Go Panthers!!!

panfan
11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
prognosticators show a mixed bag of picks for this game. Some predict Vernon will take it while others predict LH will take it. Likely to be a close game for sure.

regaleagle
11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
The Lions have Heymon back after being injured for about 4 games or 5 games. This is a big deal for this team, and the reason I have Vernon winning this week and advancing in my bracket. I am probably a little biased toward this "North Texas" team, but they look to be the real deal both on offense and defense. They annihilated teams in their district even without Heymon, with the exception of Graham. Their D is very stout, as evidenced by the stats. The Vernon Lions lost to a very good Gainseville team and two weeks later to Graham with Heymon injured. In both instances, their offensive output was restricted. But guess what.......HE'S BAAAAAACK!!! Get ready for the two-pronged rushing attack of waterbug and bruiser....both eclipsing 1000 yds. for the season. Then you have to actually score more points than Vernon against their stingy D. The heck with the weather in this game.....it won't be a factor for these two teams. The name of this game is "Whose your Daddy now".

BB BULLS
11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
LH x 14

Cam
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
OK Liberty Hill....Burnet did their part tonight! Your turn now! Let's keep District 8-3A going and make believers out of some folks!!!.....:2thumbsup

panfan
11-23-2013, 11:59 AM
OK Liberty Hill....Burnet did their part tonight! Your turn now! Let's keep District 8-3A going and make believers out of some folks!!!.....:2thumbsup

Headin to bwood to take on another lion team. LH is locked and loaded.

thatdude
11-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Vernon up 26 7. How's ur pick comin?

Cam
11-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Great season LH!....Ya'll have a lot to look forward to with such a young team...:clap:

Eagle1
11-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Vernon up 26 7. How's ur pick comin?
Vernon & Graham rematch for region championship?

Deuce
11-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Vernon & Graham rematch for region championship?

It wouldn't surprise me!

panfan
11-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Vernon Came to play and LH didn't. Hats off to Vernon on a successful and hopefully long run.

AP2364
11-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Vernon played great. LH play calling couldn't be any worse. He does the same thing in every tight game. If that game doesn't create some change in the staff nothing will.

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2013, 06:49 AM
UGH is probably the nicest thing I can say. I'm not critical on here very often, but it's been several years since I've seen such a poor offensive showing as yesterday. And I don't ever recall seeing a LH team only manage to get 5 first downs. :ack!: :ack!: If the defense hadn't scored a TD and got 3 interceptions, the score would likely have been much worse. :ack!:

Congratulations, Lions! You were by far the better team yesterday.

AP2364
11-24-2013, 11:24 AM
The biggest story comes from Coach Vance himself. There is a quote in the local paper from him after the Hondo game early in the season. He talks about how much better LH was when they spread out defenses with the pass and that is what happened in the Hondo game. The play calling has been a problem since 2008. CoachVance made a point of how it was going to be better this year. How can he watch and allow the offensive coordinator wait until the team is 20 points behind with only 2 first downs, in an obvious need to pass, without stepping in and forcing a change. It tells me he no longer leads his coaches. Sadly there are way more issues behind the scenes that shows the same.

AP2364
11-24-2013, 11:29 AM
The difference in play calling from junior high through the jv compared to the varsity is amazing. I wanted to go down to the front edge of the bleachers and yell out 2 specific play calls that those teams use that varsity apparently does not know. Sad

AP2364
11-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Congratulations to Vernon. The lions were a better team and the coaches clearly out coached LH. They also won with class! Good luck

AP2364
11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Congratulations to Vernon. The lions were a better team and the coaches clearly out coached LH. They also won with class! Good luck

panfan
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
So many things wrong with yesterday's game for LH, and so many things done right by Vernon. Watching the film, they basically put 6-7 guys on the line defensively and said beat us. Obviously we couldn't as they took care of our linemen handily. Time to hit the weight room, Monday morning and start building for next year. Sadly, only about half of them will show up. Tackling: well if you don't ever practice it, its hard to expect players to do it well. head down, arms, tackling behind players, trying to strip the ball crap. When your defensive players are all benching 275 and up and can effectively strip the ball fine. Until then, put a facemask in a gut and punch that ball out. Vernon did it a couple of times yesterday. They out hit us hands down. Congrat to Vernon on coming with some smashmouth football. We actually believe it or not, have played that way in the past, but apparently we have become soft and it showed yesterday.

K-MAC Chuck
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Congrats to Vernon - they took us out to the shed and whipped us. The Lions came in determined.

Congrats to the Panthers - great season, better than expected! Undefeated run through district, 10 wins in a row.. Great job, boys! Congrats to the seniors as they leave on a high note.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Glad to see the Lions doing well. Also good to see them beating some quality teams like LH. To beat a team with that much tradition and a great record speaks volumes about how far the Vernon Lions have come. It is also so neat to see sons of former Lions playing. Congrats to the Vernon Lions.

fury900
11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
UGH is probably the nicest thing I can say. I'm not critical on here very often, but it's been several years since I've seen such a poor offensive showing as yesterday. And I don't ever recall seeing a LH team only manage to get 5 first downs. :ack!: :ack!: If the defense hadn't scored a TD and got 3 interceptions, the score would likely have been much worse. :ack!:

Congratulations, Lions! You were by far the better team yesterday.
kick R for TD in the Q1 3 or 4 First Downs.

Great season LH

panfan
11-24-2013, 03:41 PM
kick R for TD in the Q1 3 or 4 First Downs.

Great season LH

So what are you really trying to say furry9?

LHexPlayer
11-24-2013, 04:24 PM
So what are you really trying to say furry9?

I think he is trying to say we didn't show up.

panfan
11-24-2013, 05:25 PM

I got that, just wanted to see if that was indeed furry9's intent. If so, it is deserved. Question is why didn't LH show up? Vernon is a good team, but not unbeatable? We played some tough teams similar to Vernon.

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2013, 09:03 PM

I thought he was just counting off the 1st downs.