PDA

View Full Version : La Vernia vs. Wharton

LV_Bearfan
11-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Contrasting styles in this one. Thoughts?

bag-o-chips
11-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Navarro beat them last year. Contain the speed they have a lot of it! The Slot T got them last year so control the clock.

Pudlugger
11-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Navarro beat them last year. Contain the speed they have a lot of it! The Slot T got them last year so control the clock.

I agree clock control ball, control with a solid running game to keep the Tiger offense off the field is the way to beat Wharton. Yoakum tried to match their run and gun style and couldn't contain them on defense. This match-up favors a solid running team like LV. I think LV wins by 13.

Gone Fishing
11-16-2013, 10:49 AM
LV has a solid run game with a little passing. Their OL is very good. If Wharton chunks it then LV DB's need to step it up a little.

YTBulldogs
11-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Bo will have them prepared. I agree, LV dominate against a run team. Need to shore up the pass D, and keep that world class speed in check. I'd play off of them 15 yards and keep everything in front of them. Bo will have a game plan. Can the kids execute it, is the question. Two quality staffs. Should be an exciting games for the fans.

Papá Oso
11-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Game at Cuero Friday at 7:30.

YTBulldogs
11-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Nice.

WhartonTigers
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Looking forward to a good hard fight next Friday. I believe we are getting a little better at defending the slot t. This will be our 3rd time this year facing that offense.

YTBulldogs
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Looking forward to a good hard fight next Friday. I believe we are getting a little better at defending the slot t. This will be our 3rd time this year facing that offense.

LV don't run it.:doh: Far from it.

LV_Bearfan
11-16-2013, 06:16 PM
LV don't run it.:doh: Far from it.

Yep. No illusions here. Just have to tackle the guy with the ball.

Snotbubbles
11-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Unlike Yokum. These Bears will smack you in the mouth. Your faster by far, but--they will adjust to contain and make you pay. OL stays on blocks and drives your butt into the ground. They will power run and mix in the pass. The lefty QB is very good and a lil' spark plug leading that offense. I see them slowing it down though with the power game.

Their aggressive style will frustrate ya all night.

LV 28
Wharton 7

iFootball
11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Wharton will score more than one touchdown.

bd62
11-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Super .I plan on being at that one. YT is so right about playing back against those fast receivers of Wharton Yoakum didn't and they got burnt 3 times.

WhartonTigers
11-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Unlike Yokum. These Bears will smack you in the mouth. Your faster by far, but--they will adjust to contain and make you pay. OL stays on blocks and drives your butt into the ground. They will power run and mix in the pass. The lefty QB is very good and a lil' spark plug leading that offense. I see them slowing it down though with the power game.

LV 28
Wharton 7

Joke of the day! we will score at will too much speed....

LV_Bearfan
11-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Joke of the day! we will score at will too much speed....

One bold prediction deserves another I guess.

bag-o-chips
11-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Same thought process last year with Navarro as well. If LV is on and holds the ball you will not score at will.

speedbump
11-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Bo will have them prepared. I agree, LV dominate against a run team. Need to shore up the pass D, and keep that world class speed in check. I'd play off of them 15 yards and keep everything in front of them. Bo will have a game plan. Can the kids execute it, is the question. Two quality staffs. Should be an exciting games for the fans.

If you can't put pressure on the QB play after play after play,it won't matter where your CBs play.

LV_Bearfan
11-17-2013, 11:04 AM
If you can't put pressure on the QB play after play after play,it won't matter where your CBs play.
There will be pressure.

LV_Bearfan
11-17-2013, 11:22 AM
There will be pressure.i think containment after pressure will be the tough part.

44INAROW
11-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Excellent choice... Gobbler stadium will be rocking... I will make my prediction later. Gotta get more "scoop" on the Bears😜👏🏈

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hookandladder
11-17-2013, 05:31 PM
If Wharton's offense continues to click like they did against Yoakum, I see Wharton pulling this one out. I do not think LV has faced a team with Wharton speed , I am looking at another shootout. Going with Wharton in this on, Speed kills down South.

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I have Wharton winning it 28-21

LV_Bearfan
11-17-2013, 07:19 PM
If Wharton's offense continues to click like they did against Yoakum, I see Wharton pulling this one out. I do not think LV has faced a team with Wharton speed , I am looking at another shootout. Going with Wharton in this on, Speed kills down South.
Wharton is technically further South than LV, but your statement is still true about speed if speed is not all you have. Wharton will need to be solid in all facets. Just being fast wont get it done.

Scoop27
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Tiger defense needs to play better and not give up 30 plus points again

WhartonTigers
11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Wharton is technically further South than LV, but your statement is still true about speed if speed is not all you have. Wharton will need to be solid in all facets. Just being fast wont get it done.

Special Teams is there strongest part, i would hate to be your kicker on 4th down! Wharton executes special teams very well.

YTBulldogs
11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Special Teams is there strongest part, i would hate to be your kicker on 4th down! Wharton executes special teams very well.

:thumbsup: #22 thrives at being on these special teams. Good luck WT. I'd put two on him.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Should be strength against strength in that area. LV thrives on excellent ST play this year.

WhartonTigers
11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Should be strength against strength in that area. LV thrives on excellent ST play this year.

How many touchdowns do you guys have off of special teams!

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Oh, I don't know, at least one ;-) We're kinda slow over here in the South. We've probably returned more than half beyond the 25 though. Sometimes the other team kicks it out of bounds and we get it at the 35, so that helps our average. Sets our boys up with a shorter field but kinda hurts the ball control when you have less than 75 yards to go.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Seriously though, I really don't know. Enough to say we're pretty good at it for sure.
We may not have given one up either. I haven't seen every game. Not sure if we gave one up to Calhoun or not.

WhartonTigers
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
By KEITH MAGEE kmagee@journal-spectator.com | 0 comments
Wharton Coach Tim Finn strives to have a balanced offensive attack, and Friday’s Class 3A Division II bi-district playoff game was just that as the Tigers took a 56-35 win over the Yoakum Bulldogs at Tiger Stadium in Sealy.
The Tigers had 247 yards rushing, led by Dontre Elliott’s 135 yards on 13 carries, and Wharton added 242 yards in the air, led by Leeshad O’Neal’s six catches for 199 yards, as the Tigers won their third straight bi-district playoff for the first time in school history.
Wharton, which improves to 9-2 on the season, advances to the area playoffs next week against La Vernia, which defeated Wimberley on Friday night, 21-7. Details of the game were not finalized at presstime. Check the Wharton Journal-Spectator’s Facebook page when details are finalized.
It was the second straight year that the two teams met in bi-district, and Yoakum got off to a good start when the Bulldogs scored first on a 57-yard pass from Trevontaie Hights to Austin McCoy for a 6-0 lead with 9:55 left in the first quarter.
The Tigers responded with three touchdowns in the first quarter to take a 21-6 lead. Toney Rogers got the first score on a 26-yard run with 8:29 to go in the period. Eluid Guajardo added the extra point. Guajardo was good on all eight extra points.
Rogers scored his second TD on a 5-yard run with 3:01 to go, and quarterback Joseph Krenek threw an 80-yard touchdown pass to O’Neal with 31 seconds left as the Tigers led 21-6.
Wharton’s Taylor Skinner scored on a 30-yard blocked punt return to give the Tigers a 28-6 advantage, but Yoakum responded with a 57-yard run by Hights with 9:06 left. T.J. Hights added the two-point conversion to cut Wharton’s lead to 28-14.
The Tigers scored again when Chris Green returned a fumble 49 yards with 5:41 left in the second quarter. Wharton led at the half, 35-14.
Terrance Hall scored for Yoakum on a 1-yard run with 9:52 left in the third, and Edgar Navarilla added the PAT.
However, Wharton responded with a 32-yard pass from Krenek to O’Neal with 6:51 left. Wharton led 42-21 going into the fourth quarter.
Yoakum kept clawing back as Chase Hermes threw a 10-yard pass to McCoy, and Navarilla added the PAT with 10:16 left in the game.
Wharton responded with a 58-yard strike from Krenek to O’Neal with 7:26 left in the game.
Yoakum fought back again with a 15-yard run by Hall and PAT by Navarilla with 3:45 to go.
Wharton finally put it away with a 55-yard run by Dontre Elliott with 2:46 left in the game.
Krenek completed 11 of 15 passes for 242 yards with only one interception.
Yoakum had 290 yards rushing and 204 yards passing for the night.

WhartonTigers
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
im looking for film beyond the calhoun game do you know if that is available? Calhoun really beat you guys to the outside and in the passing game i hope that has gotten better since then...

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
im looking for film beyond the calhoun game do you know if that is available? Calhoun really beat you guys to the outside and in the passing game i hope that has gotten better since then...

I don't know of any film anywhere for the casual viewer. The coaches have the lock-down on that. Yes, that has gotten better. Enough better? We'll see.

WhartonTigers
11-18-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't know of any film anywhere for the casual viewer. The coaches have the lock-down on that. Yes, that has gotten better. Enough better? We'll see.

cool looking for a dog fight then, well track meet lol.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
cool looking for a dog fight then, well track meet lol.

On returns for TD, I'd venture that we've averaged one per game for the season. We have a little wiggle too.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2013, 03:53 PM
On returns for TD, I'd venture that we've averaged one per game for the season. We have a little wiggle too.

You had 1 TD via a blocked punt, two TD's on punt returns, and two TD's on KO returns. You gave up no TD's via your special teams.

NOTE: The scoring summary for the Port Lavaca game not included. Those results were not listed on site. Not sure if you scored or gave up a score via special teams in that game.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
You had 1 TD via a blocked punt, two TD's on punt returns, and two TD's on KO returns. You gave up no TD's via your special teams.

NOTE: The scoring summary for the Port Lavaca game not included. Those results were not listed on site. Not sure if you scored or gave up a score via special teams in that game.

Pretty sure we have more than that, but oh well. Hard to find accurate stats for LV. I remember folks claiming we had six or seven at mid-season.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure we have more than that, but oh well. Hard to find accurate stats for LV. I remember folks claiming we had six or seven at mid-season.

Well, I'm pretty sure you don't. Just thought ya did. Here, look for yourself. Scroll down to the game box scores and see for yourself. Maybe you had four or five against PL? Not likely. Dunno.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?mkt=sanantonio&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=4187&SchoolID=&Season=2013&DistrictID=&SearchDate=11%2F18%2F13&SearchDateEnd=11%2F18%2F13&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=11&SearchType=Teams

whitelightning5
11-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Has this thread really turned into a special teams battle? It's a pretty simple formula....keep it out of the hands of their most athletic returners. I, for one, know that formula works against Wharton.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
I just hate when inaccurate stat's get posted on here, when all you have to do is look before typing.

whitelightning5
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I just hate when inaccurate stat's get posted on here, when all you have to do is look before typing.

I can't say that I disagree with that comment. If you've provided a source and someone says its wrong, they better bring something to the party that proves their point.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 04:46 PM

I'm sure Oso knows. He'll set us straight. Doesn't really matter. Not so sure I'd depend on SA Sports either. Just cause it's info don't make it accurate info.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm sure Oso knows. He'll set us straight. Doesn't really matter. Not so sure I'd depend on SA Sports either. Just cause it's info don't make it accurate info.

I'm sure he will. Good stuff he looks up and places on here. And, for those schools that submit game reports to mysa.com (as LV does, except the PL game) it's pretty accurate. Especially on return TD's. They don't miss TD's generally.

LV_Bearfan
11-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm sure he will. Good stuff he looks up and places on here. And, for those schools that submit game reports to mysa.com (as LV does, except the PL game) it's pretty accurate. Especially on return TD's. They don't miss TD's generally.

Okay. Point taken.

Scoop27
11-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Does LaVernia have a radio station which has a webcast? or a radio station?

Papá Oso
11-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Pretty much spot on, we did have a 85 yd KO return against Calhoun. We've also had at least 4 other long returns where we didn't score and probably that many more called back. Hopefully the penalty issue is behind us, it cost us several big plays this last week in Wimberley.

SHSBulldog00
11-18-2013, 11:45 PM
This should be an exciting game.

YTBulldogs
11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Best in region I think SHS.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Best in region I think SHS.

Could be

Papá Oso
11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Padilla has LV favorite by 5. A little more than I'd thought it would be but I'd be lying if I didn't say I liked seeing it, he's been right on the money it seems for our games lately. I wonder what effect the weather may play - cold, windy, and very wet is the forecast. Conventional wisdom says the power running team probably has a edge but if the QB can make the throws then I think the WR's have a big advantage on the back end. Is it Friday yet?

Edit - Just saw the Pigskinpreps number, 11? Wow.

PO

maestro
11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Has this thread really turned into a special teams battle? It's a pretty simple formula....keep it out of the hands of their most athletic returners. I, for one, know that formula works against Wharton.

Most of the Wharton momentum and success is due to an outstanding performance on special teams.
Kids must really focus on this part of practice.
And the Bear Backers echo the same.

Both punt teams need to have solid coverage.

So yes, somewhere there is a special teams coach thinking,

YES , my area is getting the publicity this week.

I personally hate that most special teams play cannot be run without a flag thrown somewhere.
It truly can be some of the most exciting plays of the night.

WhartonTigers
11-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know the weatrher conditions for tomorrow? I keep hearing that there will be a front coming in and a lot of rain

44INAROW
11-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know the weatrher conditions for tomorrow? I keep hearing that there will be a front coming in and a lot of rain

supposed to be COLD and WINDY with chance of rain.. the Bears and the Tigers will have a nice field to play on, that's for sure.. Who's home/visitors?

Papá Oso
11-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Friday:
Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers. Fog early. High of 79F. Winds from the East at 5 to 20 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.6 in. possible.

Friday Night:
Overcast with rain showers. Low of 37F. Breezy. Winds from the North at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Not going to be pretty.

whitelightning5
11-21-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know much about LV. I've been reading that you guys run the ball effectively. That is the formula to beat Wharton. Run the ball up the gut and control the clock. That has been the only thing to work against them this year. You can't run outside and play sideline to sideline. They have speed. You have to hit them in the mouth. That is what both EC and Bellville did. Correct me if I'm wrong WT, those are the only 2 losses this year.

Weather could play a part in the outcome. I won't say Wharton is finesse, but they do make their living out in space. On offense, they like to play sideline to sideline. In nasty conditions, sometimes its more difficult for these spread offenses.

WhartonTigers
11-21-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't know much about LV. I've been reading that you guys run the ball effectively. That is the formula to beat Wharton. Run the ball up the gut and control the clock. That has been the only thing to work against them this year. You can't run outside and play sideline to sideline. They have speed. You have to hit them in the mouth. That is what both EC and Bellville did. Correct me if I'm wrong WT, those are the only 2 losses this year.

Weather could play a part in the outcome. I won't say Wharton is finesse, but they do make their living out in space. On offense, they like to play sideline to sideline. In nasty conditions, sometimes its more difficult for these spread offenses.

Yes sir we lost to both El campo and Bellville, and these two teams had excellent running games and controlled the clock. also i suggest that you scoot your DB's back to 8-10 yds. our recievers have started coming out of there shell when it comes to our passing game...and also i saw that calhoun got to the outside on your defense alot. Containment after coverage will be the best way to shut us down completely.

YTBulldogs
11-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Friday:
Overcast with thunderstorms and rain showers. Fog early. High of 79F. Winds from the East at 5 to 20 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.6 in. possible.

Friday Night:
Overcast with rain showers. Low of 37F. Breezy. Winds from the North at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Not going to be pretty.
Finally, football weather. Can't wait for this one. Rains should be gone after front blows in around noonish. Wind will make passing interesting. Both might need to run it more.

LV_Bearfan
11-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Excellent forecast.

Papá Oso
11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
We've gotten much better since the Calhoun game on both sides of the ball. Offensively our QB is making much better decisions and will tuck it down and get what he can out of a play rather than forcing it like he was earlier in the year. We've moved some LB's and linemen around on D and have seemed to have found a good combo, probably not as big but much faster and meaner when they get there. I promise you the WT players will agree with me on that, between the quickness and stunts there were several plays last week where we meet the RB 2 yards behind the LOS. Also as far Calhoun goes they have a Oline that probably averages nearly 300lbs and stud RB with almost 1900 yards this year so if Wharton is bringing talent like that with them then we might be in for a long night but we'll be ready. The score doesn't reflect it since they scored 2 td's in the last min of the game but with 6 mins to go we were only down 6 points with a couple terrible int's and a long defensive td that was called back, Calhoun coaches had great things to say about our team rightly predicted us having a very successful season after the game. Unfortunate as it may be I think the weather could definitely come into play because I know the game plan I'd employ against our D but not so sure you can pull it off when it's cold, raining, and the wind howling 20 to 30 mph. Won't be long now.

PO

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Will this game be streamed live? If so, where can I find it?

Texas Forever
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes sir we lost to both El campo and Bellville, and these two teams had excellent running games and controlled the clock. also i suggest that you scoot your DB's back to 8-10 yds. our recievers have started coming out of there shell when it comes to our passing game...and also i saw that calhoun got to the outside on your defense alot. Containment after coverage will be the best way to shut us down completely.

What on earth is wrong with you Wharton Tiger?? Why would you tell someone how to "shut us down completely"? Next you are going to start giving them plays too!! Coaches, parents, board members and even players read this stuff. You must be out of your mind!! The walls have ears my friend!

LV_Bearfan
11-21-2013, 01:46 PM
What on earth is wrong with you Wharton Tiger?? Why would you tell someone how to "shut us down completely"? Next you are going to start giving them plays too!! Coaches, parents, board members and even players read this stuff. You must be out of your mind!! The walls have ears my friend!

He's confident that knowing what to stop and stopping it are two different things.

44INAROW
11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

just my 2 cents... If LV needs someone on a football message board to tell them how to shut down a team - they are in big trouble.. but that's just me.. carry on..

I can't wait for the game.. I will be watching the game and listening to the Gobblers on 100.9FM...

YTBulldogs
11-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Trust me, Bo know's what it will take to stop you and your coach know's what it will take to stop them. Not like it was back in the day, when you don't have film/video access to each game your opponent has played. Now, the common fan might not know, and it don't hurt to tell them.

whitelightning5
11-21-2013, 02:19 PM
He's confident that knowing what to stop and stopping it are two different things.

I agree. It's no secret how to stop Wharton. All you have to do is execute.

WhartonTigers
11-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Im fine thanks for asking, and u need to read my post over nowhere did i say what will beat us, i mentioned two teams and what they did that beat us, adn there type of offensive style. I see that you only have 16 posts so u are fairly new on here, but this is what discuss on this board. COACHES DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM A MESSAGE BOARD TO HELP THEIR TEAM WIN!

bd62
11-21-2013, 02:52 PM

You not going to stop Wharton. You just need to slow them down. Yoakum played terrible against them and still had close to 500 yds offense
You cant have a punt blocked for a TD and a fumble recovery for TD and beat Wharton.
They are a very good team that's well coached and when they get rolling they are tough. Lavernia had not seen a team with there
Speed . Lavernia is an outstanding team that probably want make the same stupid mistakes Yoakum did so i look for a great game. The key for Lavernia is ball control to keep the ball away from that great speed of Wharton.

BB BULLS
11-21-2013, 03:06 PM
You not going to stop Wharton. You just need to slow them down. Yoakum played terrible against them and still had close to 500 yds offense
You cant have a punt blocked for a TD and a fumble recovery for TD and beat Wharton.
They are a very good team that's well coached and when they get rolling they are tough. Lavernia had not seen a team with there
Speed . Lavernia is an outstanding team that probably want make the same stupid mistakes Yoakum did so i look for a great game. The key for Lavernia is ball control to keep the ball away from that great speed of Wharton.

i agree if you can slow them down and keep them in front of you and knock them around little you have chance. if you do that you can get into there heads a little. that said i am still going to go with Wharton in this one.

GU_81
11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
You not going to stop Wharton. You just need to slow them down.

I'm curious why you think this. While I agree Wharton has speed, I would hardly call them unstoppable. They have lost 2 games and had 2 other close games (decided by 1 point and 8 points). In all 4 of these games, they scored 25 or less.

While I hesitate to call any team unstoppable, I could at least understand the thought process if the team was undefeated and steamrolled every opponent. Wharton is good, but to me a far cry from unstoppable.

Papá Oso
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I keep hearing about their speed, just curious are talking about West Columbia 2011 speed?

whitelightning5
11-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm curious why you think this. While I agree Wharton has speed, I would hardly call them unstoppable. They have lost 2 games and had 2 other close games (decided by 1 point and 8 points). In all 4 of these games, they scored 25 or less.

While I hesitate to call any team unstoppable, I could at least understand the thought process if the team was undefeated and steamrolled every opponent. Wharton is good, but to me a far cry from unstoppable.

They tend to stop themselves pretty often. They have some untimely penalties that negate big plays. They can be undisciplined. I definitely say that they are STOPPABLE. Like I said...they play sideline to sideline and call plays to get their athletes in space. If you have enough discipline to control the edge and defend WR screens, you will be OK. The vertical passing game is adequate, but not great. Just find success running up the middle. Take your 4 yards at a time and control the clock.

speedbump
11-21-2013, 05:48 PM

You're right, they are stoppable. El Campo held them to 65 yards total offense.

rico
11-21-2013, 05:51 PM
You're right, they are stoppable. El Campo held them to 65 yards total offense.
That's hard to believe, not saying it isn't true but it's just hard to believe.

speedbump
11-21-2013, 06:03 PM
That's hard to believe, not saying it isn't true but it's just hard to believe.

EC had one of the best defenses in the state while they were healthy.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2013&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=183543&TeamID=217&SearchType=Teams

rico
11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
EC had one of the best defenses in the state while they were healthy.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2013&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=183543&TeamID=217&SearchType=Teams
Mighty impressive.

Snotbubbles
11-21-2013, 06:14 PM
The ex-Longhorn DE starter (Coach Bo Robinson) will have a worthy, tough Bear defense for this one. They are a chip off their coaches playing style. I assure you that. If LV is one thing, it's tough as hell. Not the fastest, biggest, most talented. But--I'll give them the determination with guts advantage in this one.

bd62
11-21-2013, 06:16 PM

Look they are going to get there yards so that why I say you are not going to stop them but just don't let them get on a roll and just slow them down. Unstopable to me means they can score every possession and that's not the case with Wharton. Ball control is the key for LaVernia.

Scoop27
11-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Had a chance to visit with Wharton quarterback Joseph Krenek and his mom who I know real well at this cafe in Hungerford earlier tonight. Very nice and polite guy.

cards4me
11-21-2013, 09:50 PM

I will agree with you on this . If you execute a few of the skilled players your chances will increase greatly. Also the game is on turf not grass so wet conditions are not as bad. The wet ball is not an issue if you have enough game balls on hand .Their is no limit to the number of game balls you can have . All kidding aside I expect this to be a good game. Both teams are well coached and have several outstanding players. Good luck to the Tigers . I hope they are on top of their game

YTBulldogs
11-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Had a chance to visit with Wharton quarterback Joseph Krenek and his mom who I know real well at this cafe in Hungerford earlier tonight. Very nice and polite guy.

Was he hoping to have this game at the Swamp?

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2013, 09:12 AM
It's a beautiful day for some football!

Old Green
11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
It's a beautiful day for some football!Yes indeed ! I will be attending this game .

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
How in the world did Wharton throw it 14 times for 5 yards and 3 ints agains El Campo?
That just seems like a huge contrast to what they have done in some of their other games.

speedbump
11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
How in the world did Wharton throw it 14 times for 5 yards and 3 ints agains El Campo?
That just seems like a huge contrast to what they have done in some of their other games.

Constant pressure from the Birds D. He didn't have time to do anything except dump it off to a back a few times and they were down before they took a step.

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Wharton was just not clicking that night and El Campo played lights out defense.

speedbump
11-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Wharton was just not clicking that night and El Campo played lights out defense.

Wharton wasn't clicking because EC had the on and off switch.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Constant pressure from the Birds D. He didn't have time to do anything except dump it off to a back a few times and they were down before they took a step.

Hmmmm. I'm curious, can the Wharton QB run well? I'm guessing he's a pocket passer. If so, I really really like our chances. He'll get plenty of pressure. I always assumed he'd be an escape artist I guess. Sounds like not so much.

44INAROW
11-22-2013, 06:13 PM
LV - who is home/visitor? I'll be at the game, parked on the Cuero side in the reserved parking @ north end .. (where the student busses for the home side are parked) so I can sit and watch the LV/Wharton game and listen to the Gobblers on 100.9... Good Luck to y'all............... just talked to my husband - he said there are already busses there.. Be careful Driving to the Tiger and Bear fans!

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
I think Tigers are home team

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Speaking of radio feeds, is there a station carrying this game that I can listen to online from the comfort of my warm cozy home in Houston tonight?

(don't hate, I'll be out in the cold and rain tomorrow in Kingsville)

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.961kiox.com/

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 08:36 PM
3 and out for Wharton first poss.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 08:42 PM
7-0 lv

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Wharton 0 total yards in first 3 possessions.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:07 PM
14-0

44INAROW
11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Wharton 0 total yards in first 3 possessions.

And I think negative punting yards. 😳 The Bears looking sharp!!!!!

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:19 PM
21-0

Power over speed so far.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
21-7

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:40 PM
21-7 half. One of those bad penalties I talked about helped them out before half. We can't give up 40 yard TD's on 4th and 13 either. Need to get a couple more td's when we have the wind in the 2nd half.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Listening to this game online. La Vernia sounds like they're pretty solid. It's unfortunate Wharton seems to have come out completely flat.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Not built for these conditions is probably a better assessment, the wr's have gotten behind us but they've only hooked up once. We can play better than we have as well on O, defense is playing up to par though.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Not built for these conditions is probably a better assessment, the wr's have gotten behind us but they've only hooked up once.

Is there any precipitation down in Cuero? Or is it just freakin' cold?

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Cold with 15 to 20 mph wind and higher gust. Drizzled earlier and can start up again at any time.

44INAROW
11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Is there any precipitation down in Cuero? Or is it just freakin' cold?

It's just cold and the wind is howling. Had sprinkles earlier but nothing right now.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Big drive there by LV.

27-7

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Going to 4th

27-7

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 10:33 PM
La Vernia sounds solid. But Wharton also seems to have come out really really flat for this game.

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 10:37 PM
34-7

Papá Oso
11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
41-7

2mins left

Not sure about coming out flat seems more like the Mike Tyson quote about everyone having plan until they get hit?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
41-7

2mins left

Not sure about coming out flat seems more like the Mike Tyson quote about everyone having plan until they get hit?

You may be right on that one, sir.

Snotbubbles
11-22-2013, 11:22 PM

LV 28
Wharton 7

About what I thought. Did it like I figured here. Bo knows football. Congrats LV. Next.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2013, 11:27 PM
About what I thought. Did it like I figured here. Bo knows football. Congrats LV. Next.

Your bold prediction was right.

The one about Wharton scoring at will, not so much.

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Doubt if Tigers had 100 total yards and maybe 5 first downs

Scoop27
11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Hard to believe the play by play guy was critiszing coaches and players during the broadcast

Snotbubbles
11-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Your bold prediction was right.

The one about Wharton scoring at will, not so much.

I can assure you I didn't predict Wharton scoring at will. I really didn't see them scoring at all on Bo. #9 got behind #10 and a perfect pass delivered. Only mistake LV "D" had all night.

LV_Bearfan
11-22-2013, 11:47 PM
I can assure you I didn't predict Wharton scoring at will. I really didn't see them scoring at all on Bo. #9 got behind #10 and a perfect pass delivered. Only mistake LV "D" had all night.

Not implying that you said that. Someone said it after you made your prediction.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2013, 01:17 AM
LV not fancy. Man on man style. But, they are determined and it's all business between the lines for them. RB's carried several would be tacklers for extra yards, to ensure a first down and keep drives going. QB sneak, all knew it was coming, and #7 goes to the house from around 35 out. Amazing. They will pop you in the mouth too. I see them going VERY far. Congrats, I enjoyed the show. My toes were frozen. Kid's were making comments, "it's fun at the beach" during warmups. Nothing was gonna stop them here.

Blue42
11-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Wow the Bears on a roll but D2 I thought they had larger #s then that.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2013, 01:41 AM

What happens when a 2-8 Sam Houston gets in.

Papá Oso
11-23-2013, 01:59 AM

Pleasanton and Somerset are both larger and went D1.

Scoop27
11-23-2013, 11:42 AM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports/article_3cb95894-545c-11e3-b475-0019bb2963f4.html

Papá Oso
11-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks Scoop, hadn't seen the stats yet. 87 total yards given up with about half of that being on 2 plays, our D especially the front 7 are peaking at the right time. #44 was living in their back field all night and he doesn't miss very often. Offensively we've played better, #8 gave us a big lift several times throughout the game when #4 would get into his hopping around mode trying to break a long one instead just hitting hole with power and taking his 5 to 7 yards. QB had another mistake free game and just does what needs to be done and has come so far as a runner that teams better start accounting for him on the edge. Special teams never were much of a factor although LV probably won that phase as well with the fumble recovery we had against their punter and the roughing the kicker call on them that extended a drive by us that resulted in a td. They had one decent ko return where we had the runner surrounded but somehow escaped for a nice return of about 30 yards. Congrats to Wharton on a successful season, they have the athletes to keep the recent winning tradition going into the future. I'll be excited to see what our D can do against either one the offenses we could face next week, I have a preference but I think I'll keep that to myself at least for now :).

PO

Snotbubbles
11-23-2013, 04:35 PM
I think PI and their 34+ seniors can edge past OG today. But, OG play's solid (reminds me of a LV team. Getting the most out of kids not as fast or big). A LV/PI game would be awesome. Love to see Bo do his game planning magic against a team that will be just as disciplined IMO. Boy, the Bears followed this recent game plan to a T.

I'll have to ponder my prediction a while. I still give OG a slim chance versus PI. Need to see who LV will really play against next week.