PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Orange Grove

rico
11-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Port Isabel will be seeking some pay back.

panther89
11-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Any word on where this will be played yet?

Ranger354
11-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Good luck Grove..... PI will be tough. They gutted Sinton's D last year with the run.

iFootball
11-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Hoping the the Bulldogs pull this one out.

Ranger354
11-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Whats the trick to registering on 956 sports forums??? how many schools in McAllen.?????

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Whats the trick to registering on 956 sports forums??? how many schools in McAllen.?????

There's 3 schools. McAllen High, McAllen Memorial, and McAllen Rowe

By the way....

Port Isabel Tarpons vs. Orange Grove Bulldogs
Saturday, Nov. 23rd @ 1pm
Javelina Stadium - Kingsville

Ranger354
11-16-2013, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=TarponFanInNorthTexas;1783611]There's 3 schools. McAllen High, McAllen Memorial, and McAllen Rowe

Thanks.... thought I had registered years ago but I can't find any of my info.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Orange Grove passing game will be difficult to stop, they can strike quick or using the quick passing to go down the field. Both have good defenses, PI i would give the edge but offensively Orange Grove the edge here with the ablity to pass and also run. Picking our district mates but rooting for both to have good games and stay injury free for the next round whoever wins this good matchup.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Whats the trick to registering on 956 sports forums??? how many schools in McAllen.????? 956 sports doesn't considered Zapata a valley team. No Zapata posters this season in the forum :(

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-16-2013, 12:36 PM
956 sports doesn't considered Zapata a valley team. No Zapata posters this season in the forum :(

There are a couple of Zapata ppl on the RGV forum but they don't show up very much.

YTBulldogs
11-16-2013, 12:39 PM
PI have 30 seniors on this team as I heard?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-16-2013, 12:48 PM
PI have 30 seniors on this team as I heard?

33 Seniors actually.

YTBulldogs
11-16-2013, 12:49 PM
33 Seniors actually.

Man, that's impressive. Good luck.

MustangFootball
11-16-2013, 05:19 PM
This should be a good game by 2 good teams, and will be 1 of 3 I will be attending hopefully if all goes well now that Ingleside Sinton and OG are playing at different times and days.... Not sure if PI can match OG point for point, but OG run defense is their weakness and coincidently PI strength. I'm gonna stay true to our district and go with the Bulldogs. Hoping for another district sweep.

11TARPON
11-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Heard there will be 3 games played at Javalina Stadium on Saturday . Does anyone know if that is correct?

LV_Bearfan
11-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Pullin' for PI. Would love to see PI vs. LV if it works out.

pirate4state
11-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I think just 2.
Heard there will be 3 games played at Javalina Stadium on Saturday . Does anyone know if that is correct?

MustangFootball
11-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Not sure how many games will be played in Kingsville, but if you want to travel to Calallen down the road Sinton will be playing Zapata at 6:00. About a 30 minute drive.

99IHSMustang
11-17-2013, 07:46 PM
This could be whoever has the ball last wins, type of game. I think OG could very well pull the "upset". D30 teams could be peaking at the right time.

PhiI C
11-17-2013, 09:36 PM
This should be close. OG wins by an extra point.

11TARPON
11-17-2013, 10:14 PM
This could be whoever has the ball last wins, type of game. I think OG could very well pull the "upset". D30 teams could be peaking at the right time. I think D31and 32 should eliminate D30 this week.

99IHSMustang
11-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I think D31and 32 should eliminate D30 this week.

Bold statement. We will see how that pans out.

MustangFootball
11-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I think district 30 rolls again this week another sweep of the remaining districts to the south.

Epicpirates
11-18-2013, 12:06 AM
As much as I would like to believe that, I think PI takes this one . I think it will be close the first half, then a huge separation in the second. The Tarpons are tough.

Epicpirates
11-18-2013, 12:07 AM

:tisk: A full elimination?!? Ain't gonna happen!!!

rico
11-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Go tarpons!

11TARPON
11-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I think district 30 rolls again this week another sweep of the remaining districts to the south.
This from the same coastal bend posters that last year in the third round were saying that Sinton and OG we're playing in the region finals. They were both embarrassed in the third round.

MUSTANG69
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM

You're a funny guy.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
This from the same coastal bend posters that last year in the third round were saying that Sinton and OG we're playing in the region finals. They were both embarrassed in the third round.

Come on, san! Think before you speak! PI beat Sinton in Rd. 2 and OG lost in Rd. 3

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2013, 11:19 AM
This from the same coastal bend posters that last year in the third round were saying that Sinton and OG we're playing in the region finals. They were both embarrassed in the third round.Sure some felt that was a good possibility last season, didn't work out that way but Ingleside actually had a shot in their game in the state qtr final game to win it.

11TARPON
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Come on, san! Think before you speak! PI beat Sinton in Rd. 2 and OG lost in Rd. 3
Forgot we played Sinton in the second round. There we're post last year in the second round talking about a Sinton OG rematch on the 956 forum. I don't post on here without backup.

rico
11-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Go TARPONS!!

MustangFootball
11-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Ouch!!!!

Third
11-18-2013, 06:08 PM
This should be a good game by 2 good teams, and will be 1 of 3 I will be attending hopefully if all goes well now that Ingleside Sinton and OG are playing at different times and days.... Not sure if PI can match OG point for point, but OG run defense is their weakness and coincidently PI strength. I'm gonna stay true to our district and go with the Bulldogs. Hoping for another district sweep.

Being at the Orange Grove-Pearsall game, Pearsall had success running the ball. 271 yards was the second-highest total that team has rushed for this year. I've been to every Maverick game and only one other team allowed more rushing yards to Pearsall and that was 1-9 Poteet. That list includes three three-loss teams and two 1-9 schools. The Mavericks gashed the Bulldogs and picked up several long runs which is something they haven't done all year. Pearsall was not a big play team, more of a move the ball between the 20s and then self destruct, kinda team for most of the year. I know that means little but with a defense like that against a team that can run the ball and be physical like PI, that could spell a lot of trouble for OG. If Pearsall could have a seven-plus minute drive on OG, I don't see how PI won't have trouble keeping that offense off the field.

Having said all that. Orange Grove needs very little time to score. That offense is prolific and that Harris kid throws a pretty pass. His wide receivers are also playmakers. Should be an interesting game but I see the Tarpons pulling it out.

rico
11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Interesting. I heard PI was only going to rush 2 players and put everyone else in pass coverage!
9 out of the Box!!

MustangFootball
11-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Being at the Orange Grove-Pearsall game, Pearsall had success running the ball. 271 yards was the second-highest total that team has rushed for this year. I've been to every Maverick game and only one other team allowed more rushing yards to Pearsall and that was 1-9 Poteet. That list includes three three-loss teams and two 1-9 schools. The Mavericks gashed the Bulldogs and picked up several long runs which is something they haven't done all year. Pearsall was not a big play team, more of a move the ball between the 20s and then self destruct, kinda team for most of the year. I know that means little but with a defense like that against a team that can run the ball and be physical like PI, that could spell a lot of trouble for OG. If Pearsall could have a seven-plus minute drive on OG, I don't see how PI won't have trouble keeping that offense off the field.

Having said all that. Orange Grove needs very little time to score. That offense is prolific and that Harris kid throws a pretty pass. His wide receivers are also playmakers. Should be an interesting game but I see the Tarpons pulling it out.

That has been my knock on OG all year... Their defense against the run is suspect, Ingleside was having success on the ground and then for some reason they got away from running the ball. That is the key to beating them, but if you say y'all had seven minute drives then why did OG score 57 points on you guys. I saw on Hudl where PI played La Grulla, and PI pass defense was also suspect giving up pass plays all over the field. LG was also getting pressure on the QB. A game where PI only won 20-7 and I saw where LG put a drive together and fumbled inside their own 10 yard line they also had a INT... Not sure how many turnovers they had in that game, but the score could have easily been closer.... Don't get me wrong PI could have had something to do with those turnovers but the fact is they were close.

rico
11-18-2013, 07:58 PM
That has been my knock on OG all year... Their defense against the run is suspect, Ingleside was having success on the ground and then for some reason they got away from running the ball. That is the key to beating them, but if you say y'all had seven minute drives then why did OG score 57 points on you guys. I saw on Hudl where PI played La Grulla, and PI pass defense was also suspect giving up pass plays all over the field. LG was also getting pressure on the QB. A game where PI only won 20-7 and I saw where LG put a drive together and fumbled inside their own 10 yard line they also had a INT... Not sure how many turnovers they had in that game, but the score could have easily been closer.... Don't get me wrong PI could have had something to do with those turnovers but the fact is they were close.
Grulla did complete some passes all over the field but the fact remains they only scored 7 points.

rico
11-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Go TARPONS!

Ranger354
11-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I see this as a high scoring game... OG with the pass and PI with the run. PI gutted Sibton last year with the run. Our defense is better then last year, but I don't know about OG.

McHi
11-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Here is the nuts and bolts. While most believe PI to be all about the run, which by stats, they are among the top in class 3A in the state when it comes to rushing. However they can pass, and are pretty good at it. PI has not needed to pass much even when the defense is lined up on them. This is when PI is the most dangerous. I have heard fans going back and forth about Orange Grove Passing vs Port Isabel running. For Orange Grove, PI is very physical, big up from and opens many running lanes. They run many different plays. What I have heard is you can never figure out just when Port Isabel will pass. Some teams have already found out lining all of your defense in a box to stop their run game does not work, PI will run designed plays to spread the defense which will open up these lanes. Then Orange Grove fans have stated PI has not met anyone like Orange Grove. If you believe that you are dead wrong. Brownsville St. Joe was a team that had a good QB and many fast and good receivers, and an offensive line that was huge and ran an Oregon playbook. PI destroyed St. Joe Offensive line and PI hitting caused several of St. Joe players to get injured during the game. PI also beat a good Brownsville Veterans (5A) team 47 to 17 without PI starting Linebacker which was all over the news. Both Harlingen and Harlingen South (5A) 2013 5A Playoff teams still in the playoffs played Brownsville Veterans and Harlingen only beat them 24 to 3 and South beat them 14 to 0. PI beat a very good Zapata Team who gave Laredo Alexander a very hard time. PI beat a good La Gurlla team who is still in the playoffs, and lets not forget Raymondville, a team that played Orange Grove and lost 28 to 14. PI beat Raymondville twice, 14 to 0 when the game was stopped just 1-1/2 quarter into the game. In the second game PI beat them 42 to 13 and was subbing in the 4th qtr. The real facts to this game will be mistake, who ever make the most mistakes will loose plain and simple. At this point neither team can afford to make mistake. Is PI beatable yes, is Orange Grove beatable yes. May the best team win. Go Tarpons and make the valley proud.

rico
11-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Here is the nuts and bolts. While most believe PI to be all about the run, which by stats, they are among the top in class 3A in the state when it comes to rushing. However they can pass, and are pretty good at it. PI has not needed to pass much even when the defense is lined up on them. This is when PI is the most dangerous. I have heard fans going back and forth about Orange Grove Passing vs Port Isabel running. For Orange Grove, PI is very physical, big up from and opens many running lanes. They run many different plays. What I have heard is you can never figure out just when Port Isabel will pass. Some teams have already found out lining all of your defense in a box to stop their run game does not work, PI will run designed plays to spread the defense which will open up these lanes. Then Orange Grove fans have stated PI has not met anyone like Orange Grove. If you believe that you are dead wrong. Brownsville St. Joe was a team that had a good QB and many fast and good receivers, and an offensive line that was huge and ran an Oregon playbook. PI destroyed St. Joe Offensive line and PI hitting caused several of St. Joe players to get injured during the game. PI also beat a good Brownsville Veterans (5A) team 47 to 17 without PI starting Linebacker which was all over the news. Both Harlingen and Harlingen South (5A) 2013 5A Playoff teams still in the playoffs played Brownsville Veterans and Harlingen only beat them 24 to 3 and South beat them 14 to 0. PI beat a very good Zapata Team who gave Laredo Alexander a very hard time. PI beat a good La Gurlla team who is still in the playoffs, and lets not forget Raymondville, a team that played Orange Grove and lost 28 to 14. PI beat Raymondville twice, 14 to 0 when the game was stopped just 1-1/2 quarter into the game. In the second game PI beat them 42 to 13 and was subbing in the 4th qtr. The real facts to this game will be mistake, who ever make the most mistakes will loose plain and simple. At this point neither team can afford to make mistake. Is PI beatable yes, is Orange Grove beatable yes. May the best team win. Go Tarpons and make the valley proud.
That's a long quote but I definitely agree.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 10:01 AM
This is a very big game between to solid teams. PI is the favorite to win the region but OG is a very dangerous opponent for the Tarpons. I like PI in a close one 31-28

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Next Week

I will keep the voting open until Monday for GOTW Threads. So be sure to spread the word here and on RGV/956 to let the PI posters as well as others to register and post like crazy this week and weekend on 3ADL to get the voting opened for them. If not, have them send me a message with their pick.

Third
11-19-2013, 10:29 AM
That has been my knock on OG all year... Their defense against the run is suspect, Ingleside was having success on the ground and then for some reason they got away from running the ball. That is the key to beating them, but if you say y'all had seven minute drives then why did OG score 57 points on you guys.

Because Pearsall is not a very good team. They had one seven minute drive to open the third and fumbled it at the OG five-yard line. OG returned the fumble for a score but it was called back on a clip. The score was 43-6 at the half. OG scored three TDs in the span of less than five minutes to end the half. Pearsall also had two sophs and a junior in the secondary against OG's senior wide receivers. It was a mismatch. My point was that if a team like Pearsall can score twice, have a long drive to the five and rush for their second highest total of the year and break off 70-yard runs against OG. What will PI do?

rico
11-19-2013, 10:44 AM
This is a very big game between to solid teams. PI is the favorite to win the region but OG is a very dangerous opponent for the Tarpons. I like PI in a close one 31-28
But you also think Orange Grove will upset Port Isabel, according to your post in the Upset Specials. With all due respect, which one is it?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Because Pearsall is not a very good team. They had one seven minute drive to open the third and fumbled it at the OG five-yard line. OG returned the fumble for a score but it was called back on a clip. The score was 43-6 at the half. OG scored three TDs in the span of less than five minutes to end the half. Pearsall also had two sophs and a junior in the secondary against OG's senior wide receivers. It was a mismatch. My point was that if a team like Pearsall can score twice, have a long drive to the five and rush for their second highest total of the year and break off 70-yard runs against OG. What will PI do?West Oso right after Sinton played Orange Grove ran of more than 10 mins of the 1st qtr clock and scored just running at them and West Oso had no offensive punch this season but that was it Orange Grove quickly scored and put that game away quick after that. In the Sinton/OG game Sinton scored with just under 2 mins in the game to go up 35-19 and looked like that was the ball game but they quickly scored and got the two points and recovered the onside kick with a min left in the game with the score 35-27 and got I think to Sinton 25 yd line before their qb was intercepted around the 10 yd line to finally put that away. They can strike quick with 3 very good wide receivers with some speed. Run defense has been exposed in district play and looks like into the playoffs still.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 10:55 AM
But you also think Orange Grove will upset Port Isabel, according to your post in the Upset Specials. With all due respect, which one is it?

I think it will be close and OG could pull the upset, but I still like PI by a fg.

Manso/V8
11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
This game is going to be interesting.
Can OG stop the PI running game?
Can PI stop the OG pass attack?

If OG gets up early, will PI be forced to abandon their normal game plan and go to the air?

Third
11-19-2013, 11:39 AM

No.

This I don't know. I've not seen PI this season and don't know how good their secondary is. Pearsall's secondary is young (sophs and jrs) and also got no pressure on Harris. OG has a good-sized O-line. Don't know what PI offers but if they can pressure and disrupt Harris that will be big. OGs receivers simply made plays all over the field against Pearsall, open or not.

If OG gets up early, will PI be forced to abandon their normal game plan and go to the air?

That's what makes this an interesting matchup.

99IHSMustang
11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
OG doesn't necessarily have to completely stop PI's running game. If they make a crucial stop and they can score quickly, that is all they may need.

rico
11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I think it will be close and OG could pull the upset, but I still like PI by a fg.
That sounds better! Go TARPONS!

rico
11-19-2013, 03:52 PM
OG doesn't necessarily have to completely stop PI's running game. If they make a crucial stop and they can score quickly, that is all they may need.
PI is going to score over 30 points. The question is can PI's defense hold OG to under 30, I say yes.

rico
11-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Man, it's not easy getting 40 posts in three days!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Keep trying! lol

rico
11-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I want to vote!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Man, it's not easy getting 40 posts in three days!

Your doing such a good job. Keep it up

rico
11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Go tarpons!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Go tarpons!

Who was the Tarpon's closest competition?

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Do ya'll go by the Silver Tarpons or just the Tarpons?

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 05:03 PM
How strong is each teams kicking game?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-19-2013, 05:09 PM
PI is going to score over 30 points. The question is can PI's defense hold OG to under 30, I say yes.You know my prediction, you should have said more than 31 points. I'm expecting a great game either way whoever comes out on top.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
How strong is each teams kicking game?

PI has a good kicker looks like he's good for atleast from 40 yds out maybe more. PI fan might know his distance. Orange Grove kicking game not sure but from what I saw 25 yarder would be his distance.

rico
11-19-2013, 05:14 PM
PI has a good kicker looks like he's good for atleast from 40 yds out maybe more. PI fan might know his distance. Orange Grove kicking game not sure but what I saw 25 yarder won't be a given.
That's another of PI's strengths. 45 yard field goal is definitely within reach.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 05:19 PM
That's another of PI's strengths. 45 yard field goal is definitely within reach.

Your down to single digits. Almost there

rico
11-19-2013, 05:22 PM
This has actually been fun, thanks for the help. You guys are great.

YTBulldogs
11-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi rico.:wave:

Now, I'm over here.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 05:23 PM
This has actually been fun, thanks for the help. You guys are great.

Just doing what we can to get your numbers up.

pirate4state
11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Orange Grove will be able to keep it somewhat close early, but PI will eventually be too much for them. They will be the toughest test for OG. Yes, that includes us & Ingleside.

rico
11-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry for taking so long, some people do have to work. Don't want my boss to find out!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Sorry for taking so long, some people do have to work. Don't want my boss to find out!

I remember those days. :rolleyes:

rico
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
This is it! My 100th post in 3A Down Low. All I have to say is GOOOO TARPONS!!!!!!

pirate4state
11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
This is it! My 100th post in 3A Down Low. All I have to say is GOOOO TARPONS!!!!!!

Way to go! :clap:

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1193/vg0n.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/vg0n.jpg/)

iFootball
11-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Port Isabel is tough but I'm rooting for them Bulldogs

rico
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
As Elvis would say, "Thank you, thank you very much."

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Poll For Rico

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Are there any OG posters for their side to this game?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Are there any OG posters for their side to this game?yep, two of them. Use to be a few more few years back.

rico
11-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Poll For Rico
Just voted, thanks SHSBulldog00, you're the best!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Just voted, thanks SHSBulldog00, you're the best!

Your welcome, maybe our paths will cross someday.

rico
11-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Your welcome, maybe our paths will cross someday.
Looking forward to it.

McHi
11-19-2013, 10:35 PM

Very Unlikely! PI is a stronger team than you are giving them credit for. Even the 5A schools in the valley respect PI ability to run the ball. They have a stable full of backs. Big and Small.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Very Unlikely! PI is a stronger team than you are giving them credit for. Even the 5A schools in the valley respect PI ability to run the ball. They have a stable full of backs. Big and Small.

Only 53 more post and you can vote like rico.

McHi
11-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Vote on what?

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Vote on what?

In our polls like the one above.

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:05 PM

I remember quite a few year back in the 80's Port Isabel Played Sweeny. I had a friend that lived next door to me and he was from Sweeny and going to med school. Great guy! We would talk about football when we got to gather, and had a few cold beer's. Sweeny won that game 13 to 0. I believe it was Tommy Robert last year to coach at Port Isabel. One other strange note to that game, both teams came out dressed the same. It was very funny and very confusing. Port Isabel brought their white jersey, thank god.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:12 PM
I remember quite a few year back in the 80's Port Isabel Played Sweeny. I had a friend that lived next door to me and he was from Sweeny and going to med school. Great guy! We would talk about football when we got to gather, and had a few cold beer's. Sweeny won that game 13 to 0. I believe it was Tommy Robert last year to coach at Port Isabel.

Some of the older people remember playing PI but I was 2. Sure I was at the game as I was at Sweeny games when I was only month's old.

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
It was the first time that I ever saw to teams dressed the same. Should of seen both crowds total confusion. Both teams about the same in size. The refs were blown away. I had been out of high school for about 7 years. I often wonder how he is doing. He gave me one of the funniest moment I every experienced. He was showing his wife how to use a shotgun in his trailer house, when it went off. My wife was outside and came flying into the house screaming that someone just shot at her. Well we both had wives that were in shock, he sleep on the couch for the next few days, while she got over it. What was even funnier was he shot his mother in laws and father in laws picture that was hanging on the wall! We both had a few beer's on that one!!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:24 PM
It was the first time that I ever saw to teams dressed the same. Should of seen both crowds total confusion. Both teams about the same in size. The refs were blown away. I had been out of high school for about 7 years. I often wonder how he is doing. He gave me one of the funniest moment I every experienced. He was showing his wife how to use a shotgun in his trailer house, when it went off. My wife was outside and came flying into the house screaming that someone just shot at her. Well we both had wives that were in shock, he sleep on the couch for the next few days, while she got over it. What was even funnier was he shot his mother in laws and father in laws picture that was hanging on the wall! We both had a few beer's on that one!!

Now that's a story.

Our uniforms have changed some since then.

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Now that's a story.

Our uniforms have changed some since then.

I though you might enjoy that! Funny how life is.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Here is a pic from our game with Bellville this year.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7956/d18s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/d18s.jpg/)

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Yes they have change a lot.

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2013, 11:38 PM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1346/xzi1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/xzi1.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) (This is what I use)

Current Picture of the Port Isabel Tarpons

Manso/V8
11-19-2013, 11:45 PM

I'm familiar with both teams. We played Orange Grove in the 3rd round and PI in the region finals last year.
I know PI has a good team, but this matchup is interesting.
Orange Grove's senior QB last year didn't play due to injury and the current QB did a good job filling in for the senior.
I think PI's top RB was out the week we played them and they really didn't generate much offense.

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm familiar with both teams. We played Orange Grove in the 3rd round and PI in the region finals last year.
I know PI has a good team, but this matchup is interesting.
Orange Grove's senior QB last year didn't play due to injury and the current QB did a good job filling in for the senior.
I think PI's top RB was out the week we played them and they really didn't generate much offense.

Yes Javier Vela # 7 did not play after the Navarro game. He had been playing with a very deep bruised thigh. Blood just siting deep in the bruised got infected. He spent about 7 to 8 days in the hospital.

Manso/V8
11-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Yes Javier Vela # 7 did not play after the Navarro game. He had been playing with a very deep bruised thigh. Blood just siting deep in the bruised got infected. He spent about 7 to 8 days in the hospital.

Did he recover well?
Is playing again this year or did he graduate?

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:56 PM
What was a surprise to everyone is that no one knew he was playing like that, until he told his team mates this touchdown and extra points would be his last play. He told his offensive line if Navarro stopped him short of the goal line to get behind him and push him into the end zone. They did what he asked. You can see it on you tube. He never complained once.

McHi
11-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Did he recover well?

No, that was his senior year. He is admired by his team mates. He's a kid that never complain about anything. He always gave his best effort.

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Port Isabel, does have a few bigger backs they have added to their backfield. One is about 6'1 and 245 the other is 6'1 and 220.

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks, # 90 is 6' 4 220 he is big and fast. No 76 is not pictured he is 6' 4 330 and benches 400 lbs. Most of them are around 245 or 250 and 75 have no idea.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Did he recover well?

Javier Vela was a Senior last year, so he's graduated. The guy was a horse for sure. Had Javier still been able to play vs. Bellville perhaps the game would have been a lot closer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses or anything, but PI were playing with heavy hearts that game. For a while, Javier was in "serious" condition in the hospital and everyone in Port Isabel was very worried about him. No one knew about the deep bruise in his thigh. He just played through the pain.

Anyway, apologies for the derail. Go Tarpons! Beat the Bulldogs!

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Javier Vela was a Senior last year, so he's graduated. The guy was a horse for sure. Had Javier still been able to play vs. Bellville perhaps the game would have been a lot closer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses or anything, but PI were playing with heavy hearts that game. For a while, Javier was in "serious" condition in the hospital and everyone in Port Isabel was very worried about him. No one knew about the deep bruise in his thigh. He just played through the pain.

Anyway, apologies for the derail. Go Tarpons! Beat the Bulldogs!

No problem, what has happen to Javier Vela?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:23 AM
No problem, what has happen to Javier Vela?

I checked his Facebook. He's going to school at UT Brownsville. That's the last update I seen. He apparently doesn't frequent the social sites very much.

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:25 AM
I my opinion only! If there was ever a story to write about Texas High School football, I believe that Javier Vela would be a truly motivating story for all high school football players. He played with his heart and sole till he could give no more. To play with pain he was feeling and continuing to get hit and carry on as if nothing happened is just unbelievable! He would not quit unit Port Isabel won that game against Navarro.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:26 AM
I just found something awesome. Let me host it and it will be in my signature. Give me a few minutes.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Test! 1, 2, 3

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2013, 12:30 AM
How's that? It's Javier Vela's final touchdown (prior to the 2 pt. conversion, he caught that too) And yes, he raised the ball up in the air as he was crossing the goal line

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes, that is the play! You can see Javier Vela with the ball crossing over the Goal line. This is a great picture. My Brother in law take care of a home of a writer that wrote the perfect storm. We will mention it to him. Perhaps he will be interested in the story!

McHi
11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
If Javier Vela does get inducted into the RGV Football Hall of Fame that the Picture they should have. What a moment for a team, but yet so sad knowing that he had to fight such an infection that made him so very sick. Glad to know that he is now doing well and going on with life. However this play will be remembered as the heart and sole of a true Football Player, and may it inspire other football players that the game is played with both heart and sole.

McHi
11-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Port Isabel High School should hang this picture of Javier Vela scoring the wining touch down with the story of what it take to never give up! No matter how hard life is or how hard life it hits you a winner is a person that keep getting back up and making no excuses in facing life head on. That is what Javier Vela did, perhaps he doesn't realize it, but he inspired a lot of people every were!

nfcfan
11-20-2013, 04:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhLzV14skI

test

SHSBulldog00
11-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Who and when did the PI defense get the moniker the PI Seawall Defense (I like it.)

rico
11-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Who and when did the PI defense get the moniker the PI Seawall Defense (I like it.)
Not sure who came up with it but pretty sure it started in the early 90's if not sooner.

nfcfan
11-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Can't pin down the original person who came up with it, but it was fitting since PI is a coastal town.

I believe the name was created in the late 70s, under the helm of long-time Defensive Coach, Eliseo Villarreal. Via RGV Hall of Fame...

There is that handful of assistant coaches who seem to have as big an impact as the head men, and Eliseo Villarreal was one of them. As a long-time defensive coordinator at Port Isabel starting in the early ‘70s, he was a fixture as the program built the fine winning tradition it is now known for.

Coming to the Tarpons, Villarreal became known as the man who ran the defense, offseason program, and strength/conditioning efforts. All his bosses recall him as a steady hand that poured the foundation of Tarpon football.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2013, 06:23 PM
From Caller Times in mid October

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ert6RzmLxEw

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Is OG rb Ricky Martinez injured or not playing, noticed he hasn't played since the Rockport Fulton game. He had over 1000 yds rushing last season.

SHSBulldog00
11-20-2013, 07:19 PM
From Caller Times in mid October

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ert6RzmLxEw

I went to Sam Houston with Rhett up in Huntsville when he transferred from OU. Always wondered where he went after graduation.

Manso/V8
11-20-2013, 11:19 PM
I went to Sam Houston with Rhett up in Huntsville when he transferred from OU. Always wondered where he went after graduation.

He had a few short stints in the NFL as a backup, and has been coaching with his dad in OG.
I read a recent article that said he was planning to give the CFL a shot with Montreal, but tore his achilles last spring during workouts.
He sure has that sophomore QB coached up.

MustangFootball
11-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Can't wait for this game, it's gonna be a classic.

rico
11-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Go tarpons!

rico
11-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Bring gloves and raincoats Tarpon Fans, it's going to be a cold one.

dogfan
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
lets get this going dog fans we have been quite long enough these boys will be ready win or loose they are a great group of kids and I know they will bring it until the end

Ranger354
11-21-2013, 10:55 PM
GATA Dogs.....GATA!!!! Scale them Tarpins!!!!

rico
11-22-2013, 06:52 AM
GATA Dogs.....GATA!!!! Scale them Tarpins!!!!
For your information Tarpons have very large and tough scales. The scales act like
armor, making the Tarpon one of hardest fighting fish in the Sea.
Another interesting fact, Tarpon are much bigger than Bulldogs! GOOOO TARPONS!!!

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
OG Air Assault vs. PI Ground Attack

All flights in and out of Kingsville, TX will be grounded due to weather delays.

rico
11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Going to be hard to throw a wet ball in the cold wind.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Go Tarpons Go!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Going to be hard to throw a wet ball in the cold wind.

it's going to feel like December football.

panther89
11-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Gonna be tough for our Bulldogs.

Go get 'em Dogs!!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Gonna be tough for our Bulldogs.

Go get 'em Dogs!!Good luck tomorrow OG, we're rooting for y'all.

MUSTANG69
11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Good luck to OG. Show them how it is done.

rico
11-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Go tarpons! Go big blue! Go tarpons!

panther89
11-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Ingleside, Sinton, and Rockport as well. Rooting for all of D30!!

99IHSMustang
11-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Good luck to OG. Show them how it is done.

:iagree:

Ranger354
11-22-2013, 02:09 PM
For your information Tarpons have very large and tough scales. The scales act like
armor, making the Tarpon one of hardest fighting fish in the Sea.
Another interesting fact, Tarpon are much bigger than Bulldogs! GOOOO TARPONS!!!

I am well aware of a Tarpons anatomy.

Go Dogs!!!!

rico
11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
I am well aware of a Tarpons anatomy.

Go Dogs!!!!
Oh that's right, you're from Sinton. Sinton folks know all about The TARPONS!

BB BULLS
11-22-2013, 02:44 PM
OG x 7

MustangFootball
11-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Good luck OG keep 30-3A rolling!!!!!

Ranger354
11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Oh that's right, you're from Sinton. Sinton folks know all about The TARPONS!

Got an eye full of them last year....

rico
11-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Cold and rainy in PI, hope it blows over by tomorrow.

99IHSMustang
11-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Now it's your turn to take care of business OG...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Time to get us some Bulldogs. Go Tarpons! Getting ready to leave Houston in about 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU

Old Green
11-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Anyone know if the game will be webcast ?

footballgal
11-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Http://www.valleycentral.com/games/

Old Green
11-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Http://www.valleycentral.com/games/Thanks Footballgal.

McHi
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM

965 sports will have an audio broadcast only. This game was scheduled to be on TV but due to the weather the Harlingen vs Sharyland game was not able to be played last night. The field at Harlingen had over 3" of rain setting on the field. This game is to be played at the same time Port Isabel is to play Orange Grove. PI looses again because they are not a big school. I am from McAllen, but all year long Port Isabel has been treated just terrible by the media. If you are not a 5A or 4A or 2A your are nobody. It is a fact that Port Isabel is hated by the Media across the valley. Steven Ryan the valley Sub 5A sports writer has even Picked against Port Isabel. He has Picked Orange Grove to win, so you can see the support for Port Isabel who is 8th in the state by the AP. All I know is that Port Isabel beat two 5A's 1 4A' and all 3A teams that they have played, but in each game the media made it sound that Port Isabel was playing the best or fastest teams in the Valley, but yet game after game this team prove itself. I just do like the media playing games with any team in the valley that has played well. Why not just support them, they have worked hard to get were they are win or loose!

McHi
11-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I would go and see the Harlingen vs Sharyland game play, but because of this media thing, I have told the family that we are going to see Port Isabel Play and support a valley school that is not getting the support they deserve. A true football fan! Go Valley Teams! :wave:

footballgal
11-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I would go and see the Harlingen vs Sharyland game play, but because of this media thing, I have told the family that we are going to see Port Isabel Play and support a valley school that is not getting the support they deserve. A true football fan! Go Valley Teams! :wave:

Stay warm Mchi and thanks for the support

I am sick and can't go 😭we are soooo tempted to go but it would be so unwise of us to do so with this nasty weather. I am hoping for another week of the Tarpons playing, where right now, weather looks decent next week.

footballgal
11-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks Footballgal.

You welcome

Cam
11-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Go Tarpons!.....and can one of ya'll bring me some fresh Port Isabel shrimp?.....about 10 lbs. will do!.....:2thumbsup

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Stay warm Mchi and thanks for the support

I am sick and can't go we are soooo tempted to go but it would be so unwise of us to do so with this nasty weather. I am hoping for another week of the Tarpons playing, where right now, weather looks decent next week.

Get well, yeah not a good idea if already sick. TV webcast would had been great but atleast audio of the game is still good.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2013, 01:07 PM
No rain in Corpus right now hopefully it's the same in Kingsville, heading out to the game, Go Bulldogs!

44INAROW
11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Good Luck Tarpon Fans. Seems like old times with a lot of the same teams again🏈👏😜
Just read your post Footballgal..😷 Hope you feel better soon... Yes, get well so you can go next week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

44INAROW
11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Go Tarpons!.....and can one of ya'll bring me some fresh Port Isabel shrimp?.....about 10 lbs. will do!.....:2thumbsup

Cam, you don't want to hear what we are frying for supper. Jumbo Gulf Shrimp and oysters from Matagorda Bay. Delivered @ 4:00 Friday. Yum Yum 🐡🌊
No fish in support of the Tarpons. 😛

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Well that was an awkward moment! PI players happened to come out onto the field as OG was playing their alma mater. What bad timing!

44INAROW
11-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Well that was an awkward moment! PI players happened to come out onto the field as OG was playing their alma mater. What bad timing!

Sadly, that happens sometimes and PI might be a accused of doing it on purpose, when in all likely hood, they had no idea what was going on outside of the huddle of teammates....the team is pumped up and ready to get busy and yes, Bad Timing.

Cam
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Cam, you don't want to hear what we are frying for supper. Jumbo Gulf Shrimp and oysters from Matagorda Bay. Delivered @ 4:00 Friday. Yum Yum 🐡🌊
No fish in support of the Tarpons. 😛

that ain't right!!!....although I'm not into oysters, just thinkin' of them shrimp just made my leftover Jimmie John's sammich taste like.....like......oysters!....:ack!:

Manso/V8
11-23-2013, 03:56 PM
There were several awkward pregame moments in our game against PI last year as well.
Like how the teams lined up for the national anthem created a little stir.
Traditions are different in various parts of the state I guess.

footballgal
11-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Good Luck Tarpon Fans. Seems like old times with a lot of the same teams again🏈👏😜
Just read your post Footballgal..😷 Hope you feel better soon... Yes, get well so you can go next week!

I made it!! Sick and all, we came as soon as we found out no rain. And just made in time for kick off :-D

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

footballgal
11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
PI up 26-7 and driving

footballgal
11-23-2013, 04:58 PM
33-7 Tarpons with 3:00 min left in the 3rd

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Now, who said this was an "Upset Alert"?

11TARPON
11-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Where' Dandy Dan!

Rocket Man
11-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Now, who said this was an "Upset Alert"?

I did, it was a shot in the dark. Sounds like PI is TCB. Carry on.....

footballgal
11-23-2013, 05:21 PM
40-7 with 6:11 left in the game.

11TARPON
11-23-2013, 05:27 PM
District 30 and 29 must be very weak this year because OG has laid an egg today. They were averaging over 40 ppg.

footballgal
11-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Final 40-7

99IHSMustang
11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
District 30 and 29 must be very weak this year because OG has laid an egg today. They were averaging over 40 ppg.

Haha. What's weak is your attempt to talk smack.

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Great Performance by Port Isabel.

Old Green
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Great Game ! Congrats to the Tarpons. Great season Bulldogs.

99IHSMustang
11-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Congrats PI. Good season OG.

11TARPON
11-23-2013, 05:36 PM
From a reliable source next game at Corpus Christi .

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
District 30 and 29 must be very weak this year because OG has laid an egg today. They were averaging over 40 ppg.OG needed to avoid turnovers to have a chance and 2ND QTR change the tempo of the game. Show some respect to your opposing teams. Great defensive performance by PI gave some time for PI offense to start contolling line of scrimmage. Good luck next week Tarpons and great season OG.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Come on man, keep it classy. We don't do that!

Papá Oso
11-23-2013, 05:52 PM
From a reliable source next game at Corpus Christi .

Friday night @ Cal Allen is what I heard. Congrats on the win PI looking forward to next week.

PO

footballgal
11-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Friday night @ Cal Allen is what I heard. Congrats on the win PI looking forward to next week.

PO

Cool I am glad it's on Friday

footballgal
11-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Get well, yeah not a good idea if already sick. TV webcast would had been great but atleast audio of the game is still good.

We decided last minute, like 10 till noon, we heard it was not raining. We bundled up and it turned not bad. As the clock was winding, stared to drizzle a lil bit and felt cold, so finished just in time. :-)

Manso/V8
11-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Final 40-7

Wow, congrats to the Tarpons!

I thought OG might put up more points, but I guess the Seawall Defense held strong.

11TARPON
11-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Come on man, keep it classy. We don't do that!
Didn't know that stating the obvious facts hurt people's feeling. Congrats to OG on their season but today the facts of the game said much.

footballgal
11-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Valley Central has video replaying now!

Http://www.valleycentral.com/games/

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Didn't know that stating the obvious facts hurt people's feeling. Congrats to OG on their season but today the facts of the game said much.

Don't forget to vote for PI/LV as Region IV GOTW

rico
11-23-2013, 10:53 PM
This was PI's night, a lot of things went their way, that's for sure. The Tarpon
offense was on a mission tonight. The Tarpon defense was playing with a chip
on their shoulder and it showed. A lot of hard hitting by both teams but I'm
pretty sure the edge went to Port Isabel. PI's front line was constantly applying
pressure to OG quarterback. PI secondary bent but only broke on one play, the
touchdown. All in all a good day for Tarpon fans.

MustangFootball
11-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah district 30 is so weak that they have 3 teams in the 3rd round...district 29,31 & 32 have a combined 1 team still playing next week. Be happy your team won and stay classy. Congrats PI on y'all's win good luck next week.

rico
11-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Yeah district 30 is so weak that they have 3 teams in the 3rd round...district 29,31 & 32 have a combined 1 team still playing next week. Be happy your team won and stay classy. Congrats PI on y'all's win good luck next week.
Thanks, looks like both PI and Ingleside have their work cut out for them next week, good luck.

McHi
11-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Orange Grove is a very good team, just young. Playing in the cold with a stiff breeze blowing out of the North is different. It tends to affect the passing game. PI defense is very physical, Orange Grove had not faced a team this year that hit like this PI team, and PI was taken a toll on the Orange Grove Receivers. PI did what they have been doing all year and that is to take your strongest phase of the game away. In this case Orange Grove strongest phase of the game was their passing. Port Isabel defense shut down the passing, for the most part, forcing Orange Grove to throw into the PI defense Strength. As I said in an early post, this game would be decided on mistakes, PI made less of them. One game changer was a muff punt that cost Orange Grove and PI scored on the next play. Orange Grove also suffered some injuries, and I was sad to see that. Because of the PI rush on the QB Orange Grove stated running drag patterns in front of the PI linebackers, perhaps the worst thing Orange Grove could do. The PI linebackers unloaded on the receivers, this was a mismatch from the beginning. I did see some bright spots from Orange Grove from time to time with some of it trick plays. Overall everyone got to see two very good teams. I see Orange Grove back again next year, and what a sophomore year for a young QB. As for Port Isabel, both the Offensive and Defense did what it had to do, and you made the valley very proud. Go Big Blue the Valley's team.

McHi
11-24-2013, 03:52 PM
It seem that everyone question Port Isabel Defense, read this comment out of the Corpus Christi Caller: "Jerry Bomar Orange Grove Coach had warned his team all week that Port Isabel was bringing the best defense the Bulldogs had seen all year. After 48 minutes of physical football, his players can testify that their coach speaks the truth."

footballgal
11-24-2013, 04:00 PM
@956sports: One step closer: Tarpons blow past Bulldogs to keep title dreams alive http://t.co/u9jgnNPDVl

Manso/V8
11-24-2013, 05:02 PM
It seem that everyone question Port Isabel Defense, read this comment out of the Corpus Christi Caller: "Jerry Bomar Orange Grove Coach had warned his team all week that Port Isabel was bringing the best defense the Bulldogs had seen all year. After 48 minutes of physical football, his players can testify that their coach speaks the truth."

I don't think anyone was questioning the Port Isabel defense.

McHi
11-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Perhaps your right!

rico
11-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Speaking of PI's defense. Although they didn't get a lot of shutouts during the season, they've been
a force to be reckoned with up to this point. I know some of the players and I don't think they're
concerned with shutouts, rather they just want the victory. Their goal is to play for a State Championship.
It's still early in the playoffs but it looks like the Tarpons are on the right track. GOOO TARPONS!

mwrams
11-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Speaking of PI's defense. Although they didn't get a lot of shutouts during the season, they've been
a force to be reckoned with up to this point. I know some of the players and I don't think they're
concerned with shutouts, rather they just want the victory. Their goal is to play for a State Championship.
It's still early in the playoffs but it looks like the Tarpons are on the right track. GOOO TARPONS!

My take on the teams here in the Valley. Being from North Central Texas I have a different outlook. The athleticism in the Valley can not compete with the rest of Texas.

mwrams
11-25-2013, 05:28 AM
PI would get blown out by the Ville, Argyle, Graham, Gilmer...

rico
11-25-2013, 05:32 AM
My take on the teams here in the Valley. Being from North Central Texas I have a different outlook. The athleticism in the Valley can not compete with the rest of Texas.
Sure they can compete.

rico
11-25-2013, 05:34 AM

How would Mineral Wells do?

rico
11-25-2013, 05:47 AM
How would Mineral Wells do?
Oh, that's right Mineral Wells probably wouldn't do very well since they were 1-9 this year.

rico
11-25-2013, 05:49 AM
It sounds like you're an authority on getting BLOWN OUT!

mwrams
11-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Oh, that's right Mineral Wells probably wouldn't do very well since they were 1-9 this year.

Mineral Wells would not do good. But my son played at MW. I'm from Aledo. Who would hang 50 on any team in the Valley.

pirate4state
11-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Mineral Wells would not do good. But my son played at MW. I'm from Aledo. Who would hang 50 on any team in the Valley.

whoopity doo!!

panther89
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Come on man. Find a better argument. Aledo would put 50 on almost ANY team, 5a and down. Having seen PI, they are pretty dang good!!! And no, I am not from PI, the Valley, or the Coastal Bend. In fact, I am from Waxahachie, so no bias here.

LV_Bearfan
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM

The rest of Texas 3A doesn't fare very well against those teams either. But a blow-out, really? Come-on. It's not like R4 has never produced a state champion. Plenty of schools have done it with teams that don't necessarily pass the critic's eye or paper test. That being said, I don't think you've even seen PI, so what is your point exactly, and what are the current facts that support it? Yes, it is harder to do it consistently, but every now and then, there is an exception that beats that a$$ like a drum. This could be PI's year, or maybe some other team that you don't expect. See Bandera and Wimberley multiple times. Let them prove it on the field. Don't bury them just because of some stereotype.

Bull Butter
11-25-2013, 03:11 PM
It's the same thing we've been hearing for years. It always amazes me how people who have never seen PI play and know nothing about them are such experts on Tarpon Football.

caleb_mccaig
11-25-2013, 03:18 PM
It's the same thing we've been hearing for years. It always amazes me how people who have never seen PI play and know nothing about them are such experts on Tarpon Football.

I never personally played against a team from the Valley, but I don't think you can just assume a team will get blown out by past results and location. I know every region has their stereotypes but I wouldn't say that especially about kids at this level. Really anything can happen and it all means how they prepare. In 2008 we played La Vega in district and had a bad week in practice and lost 45-13. We didn't prepare well enough that week but we ended up being the better team in the playoffs when we beat them at Floyd Casey. Any given Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Manso/V8
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM

I have seen PI play, and I watched the first half of the 956 video feed of the Orange Grove game.
I wouldn't call myself an expert but I am kind of familiar with the Tarpons.
i think they have a good shot at making it to the semis.

duckhunter
11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
How is PI' soccer team? Are they good?