PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk some statewide softball during this lull...

Old Cardinal
01-16-2004, 07:42 PM
In looking over 21-3A, you have some very good teams. Hardin-Jefferson has two quality Select Team pitchers. Bridge City also counters with two good Select team pitchers. Kirbyville graduated heavy and Bridge City lost Laura Gremillion who was one of 12 chosen from 1-A,2-A, 3-A(composite) to form the Division I East All-Star team for the Texas Girls Coaches Association Softball-Stars Contest. The overall level of skill has elevated as more and more teams are comprised of girls that play 70-80 games of Select Team softball under excellent Coaching. Bridge City has a feeder program team of 8th and 9th grade age that play on the Select Team level that recently placed 2nd in a Tournament in Houston. They also have girls that age on other premium Select teams. H-F has a host of Select team players developing at all ages. The interesting situation will be if Randy Ragsdale, at WO-S, gets to bring his emerging Softball team down from 4A into 3A? That team has progressed very well in 4A ranks. Sissy Lemon(BC), Coach Shorty(H-F) and Randy Ragsdale(WO-S) are capable of beating you with the talent that is on their teams in tight playoff situations.

hsfan
01-17-2004, 01:26 AM
bh should have a very good team this year.they have a new coach and he has very good creds.

Wildcat81
01-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Whats Kirbyvilles chances this year since Holly Tankersley Graduated.

Old Cardinal
01-17-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree Barbers Hill is prime to have a solid season. They have a pretty good tradition to build on....Kirbyville, in my humble opinion only had Holly T. last year. She either won for them with her bat, or her pitching, or both! Kirbyville does not have a playoff team in 20-3A this season; without Holly they would not have had a playoff team last season...

Wildcat81
01-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Old Cardinal:
I agree Barbers Hill is prime to have a solid season. They have a pretty good tradition to build on....Kirbyville, in my humble opinion only had Holly T. last year. She either won for them with her bat, or her pitching, or both! Kirbyville does not have a playoff team in 20-3A this season; without Holly they would not have had a playoff team last season...Thats a pretty good opinion Old Cardinal.

Dulce04
01-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Don't forget to mention the Caldwell Lady Hornets. They only graduated two seniors this past year and have a new girl from out of town and two awesome freshmen coming up who can fill the spots. They also still have Brandi C. pitching but will be losing 7 seniors after this year. They should go very far in the playoffs this year.

Bell_06
01-18-2004, 01:46 AM
District 23 will be hard to predict for this upcoming season. Bellville finished last year with an undefeated district season, but after loosing six seniors 3 of them being very valuable to the roster those slots will be hard to fill. Bellville does not have many varsity players who play tournament ball, so most have not touched a softball since last season. The three girls who led the team both defensively and offensively will be back but the over all lack of mature experience might prove to be costly. I see Columbus as the team you don't want to turn your back on they have a solid team, good coaching, and a very supportive school. But don't count our girls out, they have fight and determination, more then anything else they want to prove that they can repeat last years performance. Being the underdog never seemed to bother them much. Any which way, we hope for a fun and safe season.

Old Cardinal
01-18-2004, 02:45 PM
To Bell: Bellville had a very good team last year. Will they have Select team Pitching this year? How many are Select team trained for this season?......Boy, I do agree that Caldwell is loaded for bear this season. I would rank you number two in the State to start the season off. You have a good caring Coach and some big heavy-hitter girls on that roster! Sounds like Brandy C. had a great year on the Select team circuit....

Bellville22
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
My take on Bellville: As 'Bell_06' said, the Brahmanettes lost 6 seniors last year. At the same time however, Bellville returns some talent. In my opinion, they return they're 3 biggest leaders from last year. P/1B/OF Buenger is back for her senior season. The District's Offensive MVP of last year looks to have another great year, and should have a great top of the lineup to set the table. She also brings experience to what could be a somewhat young team. The 'Nettes featured two of the best freshmen around last year in C Sloan, D23's Defensive MVP, and P/OF Meier. By the end of the year, these two young ladies established themselves as leaders of the team. A year of varsity ball under their belts and select ball during the off-season should do wonders for these young ladies, and I expect them to have great years. They should occupy the 1 and 3 spots in the line-up, and should once again set the table for Buenger. A few other young ladies should complete the line-up, Blezinger does a nice job putting the ball in play, and is an excellent bunter, and a few underclassmen could find themselves with a starting position. Last years team was loaded with offensive firepower, and with the heart of the lineup back, this year should be the same. Defensively, the 'Nettes should be solid. SS and CF are the holes that they must fill, and I think several candidates will compete for the slots. Depth at pitching shouldn't be a problem, however, we all know in softball you must have the dominating ace if you want to go to the top, that could be Bellville's weak spot. Bellville has 4 or 5 very solid pitchers who can take the ball, but lack the flamethrower.

Should be an interesting year. I see the Brahmanettes as the frontrunner once again in D23. This team has the potential to score runs in bunches, and could make a run if one or two girls step up.

Bell_06
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Old Cardinal, like Bellville22 said we don't have a pitcher who will dominate, defense is going to get playing time. The team leaders in runs, rbi's, batting, and heart will be back, so there is some strength. A couple of our pitchers do have tournament experience, they won't be easily shaken. Most of our team has played some select ball.. I don't think the coaching staff will have the luxury this year of setting his infield as he could last year and that may cause the team to stumble early in the season. Outfield will be the biggest challenge, not many out there with the arms or the ability to really play the position. Pieper is the one girl who can bring a ball in from anywhere and has quite a bit of outfield experience, she is also a pitcher and has played select ball consistantly for a number of years. She has my vote for Centerfield.. wish she had been given time in that position last year. Guess that's why I'm not the coach huh :)