PDA

View Full Version : Columbia-Houston Yates Preview Story

Scoop27
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
By TROY MILES troy.miles@thefacts.com | 0 comments

WEST COLUMBIA — The Columbia Roughnecks come in having survived the season, and hope to keep it alive with a playoff run starting with the Houston Yates Lions.

The Class 3A Division I Region III bi-district matchup is slated for 7 p.m. Friday at Barnett Stadium.

Columbia comes in after an up-and-down season, finishing fourth in District 24-3A and barely squeaking into the playoffs with a bit of help from its fiercest rival, Sweeny, on the final weekend of play.

The Roughnecks (3-6) have now put together four consecutive trips to the postseason, going out in the area round last year to West Orange-Stark (20-10).

Houston Yates (7-3) comes in after many years of football prominence, reaching the playoffs for the 40th time in it’s history.

“They definitely have the legacy on us,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “I don’t think they missed a playoff game since 1976.”

The Roughnecks might have a tough time against the Lions, who had the top defense in District 23-3A, giving up an average of 191.6 yards per game. The defense is particularly skilled at stopping the run, allowing just 602 yards in ten games for an average of 66.9 yards per contest.

“They have a good defense because they are big up front on the line and have playmakers on the outside,” Lynch said. “They have a playmaker at quarterback as well. He can run the ball and throw the ball when wants to. They also have a trio of running backs that line up in the backfield.”

The Lions’ defense is led by senior cornerback Leonard Fields, who has four interceptions on the year, and senior free safety Stefan Barnes, with two interceptions for a return of 88 yards. They also receive some help from a dominant 6-foot-2, 290-pound defensive nose guard Deshawn Potts.

On offense, Yates quarterback Brandon Hayes is a dual threat with 644 passing yards and 13 touchdowns along with 670 rushing yards with six touchdowns.

Another runner the ’Necks will have to worry about is Bruce Wilson, who has 660 yards with 10 touchdowns.

Columbia will attack the Lions’ defense with sophomore workhorse Dakarius Bell, who led the district with 235 carries. He ran for 1,1614 yards, which equaled out to a 6.87 per carry average, with 22 touchdowns.

Junior quarterback Jarius Kesee also gives the Roughnecks a dual threat combo. He had 957 passing yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 292 yards on 55 carries.

“We’ve have had good practices all week,” Lynch said. “We have to establish the run early and effectively throw when we need to. What we strive for is to take it one game at a time. I think the chill in the air has gotten these kids excited and I think they are ready to play.”

Defensively, the Roughnecks have struggled to keep teams off the field. They have given up 358.2 yards per game, including a total of 2,278 rushing yards.

Lynch said their defensive play could be the key in the game.

“I was looking at the stats and I think we are minus-12 in the turnover department,” Lynch said. “We have to be good in all three phases of the game. On offense we have to move the ball, and on defense we have to create turnovers and we have to take advantage of special teams.

“This is what the season and district play is all about, getting here,” he said. “Now we have to execute.”

The winner will go on to play either eighth-ranked West Orange Stark or Hargrave, who play at 7 p.m. today.