PDA

View Full Version : What Maxfield SHOULD do

surfspike
11-08-2001, 02:23 AM
I give credit to Vfunk for this observation. He has suggested that if Forney fully develop their passing potential, the jackrabbits would be nearly unbeatable. I fully agree with him. I'm sure that alot of others have realized this as well. Just think.... if they had Blanton and Brown in the backfield, and Gilmer Gerner and Rickerson three out. The defense wouldn't know what to do. I'm sure Maxfield has some great passing plays, but now is the time to begin preparing them. If we have the 2nd round Forney/Everman match-up.... having Forney upgrade the other half of its offense will give them the edge over Everman. Otherwise, I believe that the Everman D will have their ways with Blanton and Brown. (stacking the line) With only a running game, Forney's D would have to play flawless to win..... or maybe that Maxfield is waiting for just the right time, hehehehe who knows! I can't wait!

Rabbit93
11-08-2001, 08:19 AM
The one thing that frustrated me about Coach Max when I played for him was that we never threw the ball. Granted we are a running team, but that being said, we always ran the same play. He seemed to always find one play that worked once or twice and stuck with that the whole game. That is what ultimately got us beat in the playoffs my senior year.

rabidrabbitfan
11-08-2001, 11:53 AM
The argument to that would be if you have
good enough talent and can flawlessly execute
the play, you can still win. However, that
is very tough to pull off.

I think that most Forney fans wish that we
threw the ball more. Hard to argue this year
anyway considering the enormous talent we have with #2, #3, #4, #12, #15, and all of
the others. But Max has won a lot of games
with his running philosophy, and he knows it
is his job to win games. Therefore, he is
more qualified than us fans to call plays.

jrabbitmom
11-08-2001, 01:39 PM
One would think it could only help Blanton and Brown if the coach would open up the passing game. They have plenty of speed on the team and a senior QB with a good arm. It would be great to see some passing more than once or twice in a game.
But what do I know? I'm just a mom!
Eye of the tiger...I like your comments. Thanks for the radar tips last Friday night.

vfunk
11-08-2001, 02:18 PM
thank you for that surfspike...and its so true...throw the freakin ball!!!

TheSage
11-08-2001, 03:30 PM
If you don't keep the linebackers and the safeties honest, then a team can do what Commerce did. Ends stretch and contain, EVERYONE else fill alleys. Blanton is great, but you can't rely on him to make great cut-backs etc...all the time. Play calling against Everman will be huge!

rabidrabbitfan
11-08-2001, 04:25 PM
In my humble opinion, if our ultimate goal is
to win state, then we will be forced to open
up the offense at least a little. We have to
admit that Commerce did well containing 90%
of our running plays, but we won the game.

However, so much is dictated by the events as
they unfold in each game. If we jump out to
a two td lead early and our defense is doing
ok, then it is ok to be conservative. The
object is to win every game the best way you
can. I think that our coaching staff fully
realizes that and will adjust their plans
accordingly.

TheSage
11-08-2001, 06:38 PM
I was assured that such was the case. My faith in the Forney coaching staff is boundless.

[This message has been edited by TheSage (edited November 08, 2001).]

dogdad
11-08-2001, 09:05 PM
With all due respect, Maxfield has forgotten more football than any of you guys know. I think he will do what is necessary to win, including throwing when the situation calls for it, but not just to be throwing. Remember, he is on the practice field with these players every day of the week and he knows what they can do and can't do.

Rabbit93
11-08-2001, 11:22 PM
with all due respect dogdad, I understand what your saying but when a defense gets to a spot before your runningback gets there you've got problems. That is exactly what Commerce did. They did not do a lot to keep there D off balance. We ran one reverse and gained some good yardage but other than that Commerce read the flow and got to the ball. I speak from experience when it comes to Max's play calling. i played QB for the man (until I broke my wrist). I loved playing for him and he taught us a ton about football and how to be great young men. He's a fabulous coach and great motivator.

dogdad
11-09-2001, 12:05 AM
I'm no expert on Forney football, but if you go back to Forney/Commerce playoff game last year, the play action pass at the first of the game was brilliant and set the tone for the game. I have to think that Maxfield will do more of the same at the appropriate time. No reason to show new wrinkles until it is time. However, if you played QB for the man you certainly are in a better position than I to voice an opinion on this subject. Good luck to the Rabbits...make sure y'all beat QF tomorrow.